• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7: The King Of Iron Fist Tournament 2016 – North America Announced

It's been stated that the revenue generated by TEKKEN games through the arcade division will often be as profitable as the console releases themselves. So that tells you something about how vital it is to their ecosystem.

Is that in Asian territories mainly?

BadWolf

It's been stated that the revenue generated by TEKKEN games through the arcade division will often be as profitable as the console releases themselves. So that tells you something about how vital it is to their ecosystem.

As profitable?

Huh, I figured the arcade version was a lot more profitable than the console version considering how much importance Namco was giving it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The arcade version of TEKKEN 7 (Fated Retribution) is still in development. The TEKKEN team is focusing on that release first then will shift focus to console.

We should be thankful that even though the ROW (rest of world) gets T7 later, that it'll be a complete game, with sound netcode and extras.
From a tourney standpoint, I care more about having the game in my hands than polish. I can't enter a Tekken 7 tourney because I have no way to practice.

cordy

Banned
As profitable?

Huh, I figured the arcade version was a lot more profitable than the console version considering how much importance Namco was giving it.

Maybe since T7 released since it shattered previous Tekken sales in arcade. Still the arcade profits are used to make the console versions better so more money to the arcade version, more money to the console version.

Renekton

Maybe since T7 released since it shattered previous Tekken sales in arcade. Still the arcade profits are used to make the console versions better so more money to the arcade version, more money to the console version.
Besides, audiences made it super clear that any home release needs to be content-packed plus mandatory QoLs like anti-RQ and netcode.

This takes time.

These events are a blast and they even have PS4 pads if you don't play on arcade stick. The tournament is free to enter and there are at least 8 set ups to play Tekken 7 just for fun. Definitely check one out if it's near you.

cordy

Banned
Besides, audiences made it super clear that any home release needs to be content-packed plus mandatory QoLs like anti-RQ and netcode.

This takes time.

Yep.

Tbh since last gen people have been getting onto fighters for having a lack of content, Tekkens usually are filled with it but even so the more content the better. We know the gameplay will be dope so filling out everything else is ok. Also, say the console sales don't do well hypothetically, all the arcade sales will make up for a loss.

Namco's smart.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
With how great the arcade version looks I wonder if they delayed the console release to coincide with PS4K

I doubt the game takes as much to render as your thinking, especially since it started work years ago. It'll probably be 1080 60 on PS4 alone.

Dereck

I doubt the game takes as much to render as your thinking, especially since it started work years ago. It'll probably be 1080 60 on PS4 alone.
I wouldn't be so sure about that myself.

The newer version has more bells and whistles than the previous version.

Inuhanyou

I wouldn't be so sure about that myself.

The newer version has more bells and whistles than the previous version.

Just personally speaking, that seems like it has more to do with being more comfortable with the engine, and actually working closer to PS4 specs than actually bothering to surpass them. You'll never see that sort of effort in arcades ever again.

Remember they had version 1.0 out on the market for about a year or so before coming out with 2.0, optimization and refinement for better results was bound to happen by default.

Even with Dissidia, the first trailer was on a unit weaker than a PS4, and its only when SE secured PS4 based machines did the fidelity go up.

Wild Card

Backing this up, Aris did an interview at Final Round with Michael Murray. Aris was asking since the game looks to good he believed there was no way it was going to run on the PS4. Murray responded that they already have the latest build running on their PS4 kits.

Inuhanyou

Backing this up, Aris did an interview at Final Round with Michael Murray. Aris was asking since the game looks to good he believed there was no way it was going to run on the PS4. Murray responded that they already have the latest build running on their PS4 kits.

Yep. I'm not sure where the viewpoint came from that PS4 games can't handle beautiful graphical fidelity, as i've seen tons of games where the opposite is shown.

The ability of current gen has been underrepresented

Kumubou

I've always hated this argument, mainly because that the money is more or less fungible. Why would Namco invest the money from the arcade version of Tekken into a console release when they could invest in something else (like another Dragonball or Idolm@ster mobile game) that could make more money and not gut their arcade revenue completely? On the flip side, if making a console version of Tekken was a good investment for them, why would it matter if the money came from the arcade version of Tekken versus another source?

I guess there's an argument that could be made that success in the arcade does lead to success in a later home version. I don't have any hard data for that, but given how harsh the arcade market is if a game does well there it almost always means that the core game is worth further investment. (It's extremely rare for a bad game to do well in arcades, especially nowadays as almost all revenue is on a per-play basis.)

Dereck

Just personally speaking, that seems like it has more to do with being more comfortable with the engine, and actually working closer to PS4 specs than actually bothering to surpass them. You'll never see that sort of effort in arcades ever again.

Remember they had version 1.0 out on the market for about a year or so before coming out with 2.0, optimization and refinement for better results was bound to happen by default.

Even with Dissidia, the first trailer was on a unit weaker than a PS4, and its only when SE secured PS4 based machines did the fidelity go up.

Yep. I'm not sure where the viewpoint came from that PS4 games can't handle beautiful graphical fidelity, as i've seen tons of games where the opposite is shown.

The ability of current gen has been underrepresented
Right.

I guess my comment from before was out of general concern for the well being of the console port, basically hoping that I would not have to rely on the hypothetical PC port to retain the full capabilities of the arcade version.

It also comes from me being scared that the console port will end up like Tekken 6.

Neither of which make a lot of sense.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
We'll have more details on the tour and TEKKEN 7 this coming Monday on http://twitch.tv/TEKKEN !

13257053_261527310869054_1686846531_n.jpg

Numb

Give em hell ZTS
Need more Claudio tears

How about you get the game out on a platform where people could practice it you sack of shits. I thought Arcsys was bad with staggered releases, but good god, Namco takes it to another level.

no tho

Wild Card

How about you get the game out on a platform where people could practice it you sack of shits. I thought Arcsys was bad with staggered releases, but good god, Namco takes it to another level.

Unfortunately that does not seem to be the reality of the situation. They use those arcade profits to make improvemnets for the console release, all the extra modes and features, and CG movies.

In some alternate reality where SFV had an arcade release and we had to wait for 6 months to a year for a home release, the overall product would have been much improved. With all those things we have come to expect, and had time to test their game in a live enviroment to get out the kinks.

Top Bottom