• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Weevilone

Hm, do we have any other E6/C6 owners that can confirm that the handshaking issues while using a direct connection have been fixed with the latest FW? I'm skeptical. Unfortunately I haven't my 55E6 anymore to check myself.
Anyways, it's not only the PS4 Pro but also other devices that rely on HDMI 2.0 such as the Xbox One S.
As for the B6 with its different SOC and different FW, AFAIK it had similar problems at the beginning, but a FW update fixed it a couple of months ago already.

I've had maybe 2-3 handshake issues with my PS4 Pro and my E6, but that's it. I haven't had any with the Xbox One S or other 4K devices. Perhaps you had cabling issues.

Weevilone

I thought it might be the cable so I bought myself a good quality high bandwidth cable just in case. But i still had the same issues.

And it happened on most HDMI slots. So yep i think a faulty set.

Nonetheless the banding has put me off oleds for a while as I can see it's a bit of a panel lottery. Which isn't great for such an expensive set.

What cable did you buy? If it wasn't certified then it might have been the issue.

Regarding the panel, did you run the manual compensation cycle? That sometimes helps or cures such issues. The OLED sets automatically run compensation periodically when you aren't using it. Display models are often powered down by killing power, so they run all day but then never get to correct with compensation in off hours. I would never buy an OLED display unit personally.

So I would have pulled the trigger already on the Sony X900e, since it scores highly in everything and seems like a great set, except for the fact that according to rtngs.com, it suffers from "temporary" image retention.

Over a short period of time, that doesn't sound like anything significant. But for a set I plan on having for years, risking potentially permanent burn in isn't a chance I want to take.

I guess I'll start looking more closely at the Samsung mu8000 sets.

Edit - Apparently everyone says the 2017 Samsung TVS (mu8000 included, I assume) sucks. What happened? The reviewers on rtngs.com rated it fairly well.

IMO, LCD image persistence is a result of a defective panel or abuse atypical of normal usage. I own a X900E and I've left static images on screen for hours at a time and have never observed any image persistence.

Is it good?? I picked up a c7 last week and saw that's 10 bucks right now on steam but didn't know if it would be worth it.

I've finished it before on my pioneer kuro but I'm going to play through it again. Jesus Christ the colours and the blacks are phenomenal. It's a fantastic game in its own right.

I've finished it before on my pioneer kuro but I'm going to play through it again. Jesus Christ the colours and the blacks are phenomenal. It's a fantastic game in its own right.

Haha, just bought a C7 but on the fence about the ten bucks. I should prolly just get it.

Also, the new ori trailer in 4K on YT looks super impressive as well

I also got some time in with Mass Effect Andromeda last night and it looks incredible in Dolby Vision. The color palette is just enormous. Things like sun light and sky are just so much more natural.

ACH1LL3US

Thanks! Do I need a special HDMI cable? 2.0 or something? I got out of the TV game years ago in a fuckin noob 😂😂 I'll be hooking my pc up to it btw!

If your going to run a 4k image to the tv you will need an hdmi cable that can do that bandwidth. The Xbox one comes with and hdmi cable that can do it. Otherwise you can get one at Best Buy or go online and check out monoprice cables, they are very affordable :)

A few more OLED questions, sorry guys if I'm becoming annoying, haha.

It's just that I've never spent so much money on a TV and I want to fully know what I'm about to do.

I've been told that to truly notice 4K, when you can start calling it a "game changer" is when you go at least for a 65 inch screen. Would you guys agree with that?

Last question, if I had to choose between :

65B6
65C6

And they are the same price, wouldn't it simply mean I get a slight curve and 3D on the C6 and not on the B6? I also saw that input lag is slightly worse actually on the C6?

panty

It's just that I've never spent so much money on a TV and I want to fully know what I'm about to do.

I've been told that to truly notice 4K, when you could start calling it a "game changer" is when you go at least for a 65 screen. Would you guys agree with that?

65B6
65C6

And they are the same price, wouldn't it simply mean I get a slight curve and 3D on the C6 and not on the B6? I also saw that input lag is slightly worse actually on the C6?

65B6. Curved is a bigger con than the positives of a 3D.

Madness

I've been told that to truly notice 4K, when you can start calling it a "game changer" is when you go at least for a 65 inch screen. Would you guys agree with that?

65B6
65C6

If all things are equal ie. Price I would do the C6, which is the last of the flagship 3D and possibly main 3d televisions. I would normally never get a curved screen or recommend one since they are almost always worse than flat versions, but for OLED, the panel issues were almost non-existent like they were for LED where you have worse gray uniformity, light bleed, banding issues etc.

A 65" screen does make a difference over a 49" or 55". I honestly feel like I could have gotten a 75" and still had the space I wanted. Larger is always better for the higher resolutions. But you can notice it on smaller screens as well.

Really upto you though.

65B6. Curved is a bigger con than the positives of a 3D.

Really? Because I come from a EC9300 and it was slightly curved. Had no problems. What is the con about it would you say?

If all things are equal ie. Price I would do the C6, which is the last of the flagship 3D and possibly main 3d televisions. I would normally never get a curved screen or recommend one since they are almost always worse than flat versions, but for OLED, the panel issues were almost non-existent like they were for LED where you have worse gray uniformity, light bleed, banding issues etc.

A 65" screen does make a difference over a 49" or 55". I honestly feel like I could have gotten a 75" and still had the space I wanted. Larger is always better for the higher resolutions. But you can notice it on smaller screens as well.

Really upto you though.

Yeah the price equal thing was hypothetically speaking though because soon I'm gonna call some shops and will ask the prices but there's a big chance the B6 will be the cheapest by far.

On one hand I am saying "fuck it I'm going for a real upgrade now. Not only in resolution but in size as well. The slight doubt comes from the price. If I go 55 inch I could buy a surround set or actually just save the money. But more and more I'm leaning towards 65 inch, because it's an investment in the future and it will be for Xbox One X this year and PS4 Pro next year. I mean, might as well just go all the way then.

Macaco84

What cable did you buy? If it wasn't certified then it might have been the issue.

Regarding the panel, did you run the manual compensation cycle? That sometimes helps or cures such issues. The OLED sets automatically run compensation periodically when you aren't using it. Display models are often powered down by killing power, so they run all day but then never get to correct with compensation in off hours. I would never buy an OLED display unit personally.

I did run numerous screen clearing cycles that didnt clear it up. The cable i bought wasnt certified but it was definitely 4k, hdr compatible plus the hundreds of good amazon reviews made me pretty confident it would be ok.

I just think i got a faulty set. These things happen. I'm sure my xe90 will be good enough my most of my viewing needs.

IMO, LCD image persistence is a result of a defective panel or abuse atypical of normal usage. I own a X900E and I've left static images on screen for hours at a time and have never observed any image persistence.

I've never noticed any image persistence on mine. I highly recommend the set to anyone. It's definitely cheaper now than when I bought mine.

e90Mark

Really? Because I come from a EC9300 and it was slightly curved. Had no problems. What is the con about it would you say?

Yeah the price equal thing was hypothetically speaking though because soon I'm gonna call some shops and will ask the prices but there's a big chance the B6 will be the cheapest by far.

On one hand I am saying "fuck it I'm going for a real upgrade now. Not only in resolution but in size as well. The slight doubt comes from the price. If I go 55 inch I could buy a surround set or actually just save the money. But more and more I'm leaning towards 65 inch, because it's an investment in the future and it will be for Xbox One X this year and PS4 Pro next year. I mean, might as well just go all the way then.
You're also getting an inhouse SoC on the C6, whereas B6 has a third party.

Definitely go for the 65 if you can swing it. It was just too much of a price jump for me, unfortunately. Hopefully yields are better to bring the prices down.

Jimx26

65B6
65C6

I don't personally buy into the sitting within 6ft @65" to notice a difference. I am around 8ft from my 55" C6 and the difference between 1080 and 4K is noticeable even on Netflix and Amazon content.

I was in the same position and came to the conclusion the C6 was better value due to the 3D and the LG SOC. I was concerned about the curve but I can honestly say I don't notice it, it is that subtle.

On lag I don't have any issues on mine although I don't play many fps online so someone more competitive may notice it more.

I'm in the market for a new TV. Here are is my wishlist. Can someone tell me if it is a pipedream or not?

Here is what I'm hooking up:
Framemeister with retro consoles
PC w/ 4k
PS4 Pro
PS3
Switch

~50"
full HDR support
sub 20ms input lag (for framemeister)
At least 3 inputs with low latency and 4k and/or 60fps (framemeister, PC, PS4Pro)
5 HDMI inputs
Under $1k USD

Am I dreaming?

Smokey

I just ordered a TCL 55" 55P607 from Amazon. They are showing in stock now. When I looked before it was a 3 month wait. It will be here Wednesday! I don't mind paying $599 for my first 4K TV, as all the press seems to be positive for gaming purposes. I have had a PS4 Pro since it came out and I've never seen 4K (besides walking past some at Best Buy). Will report back after I get it set up! At 1/4 of the price I was thinking of paying for a 4K TV I'm willing to give this a gamble.

Let's compare thoughts once set up!

Are these TCL supposed to be good? Seems too good to be true with the price.

MorshuTheTrader

Neo Member
I'm in the market for a new TV. Here are is my wishlist. Can someone tell me if it is a pipedream or not?

PC w/ 4k
PS4 Pro
PS3
Switch

~50"
full HDR support
At least 3 inputs with low latency and 4k and/or 60fps (framemeister, PC, PS4Pro)
5 HDMI inputs
Under $1k USD

Am I dreaming?

The TCL P series fits most of this judging by early impressions. 4k, HDR10 and Dolby Vision support, and reported ~15ms input lag in game mode. Only 3 HDMI ports though, but the price is only $600. I'm just waiting some reviews from some of the bigger outlets.

Kambing

PC w/ 4k
PS4 Pro
PS3
Switch

~50"
full HDR support
5 HDMI inputs
Under $1k USD

Am I dreaming?

TCL: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y6FSV5Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Great reviews/impression, and well under $1000, plus 5" larger. Ticks all your other boxes. The 50" version will launch later in the year!

Smokey

The TCL P series fits most of this judging by early impressions. 4k, HDR10 and Dolby Vision support, and reported ~15ms input lag in game mode. Only 3 HDMI ports though, but the price is only $600. I'm just waiting some reviews from some of the bigger outlets.

Wtf this seems way too good to be true . Does the set disintegrate after a year?

Thanks, for the recommendation. I'll keep an eye on TCL, had no idea they were a player in the budget TV space. The 3 HDMI inputs is a bit of a deal breaker since I don't have a receiver and I've had bad luck with switchers. Any other models I should be looking at?

TO LG OLED owners (well oled in general)

When i got my plasma i "broke it in" with some software to help with long term use burn in. I have seen that oled is much better in this department but are any of you guys running any initial image patterns for a few days to break the panel in?

NYR

When i got my plasma i "broke it in" with some software to help with long term use burn in. I have seen that oled is much better in this department but are any of you guys running any initial image patterns for a few days to break the panel in?
Not at all. Just use it and you should be fine, I've read nothing about break in on OLEDs outside of normal break in for TVs.

No need.

I'd argue that "breaking in" a plasma is a bit of a superstition. Same with headphones.

monagram

I ran the break in slides for about 150 hours. Definitely made a difference in uniformity, but not necessary as the same thing would have happened if I had watched content.

kanuuna

Panasonic flagship seems killer, which I suppose is to be expected at that price point.

Also, excuse me for not browsing through the whole thread to find an answer to this but how does BFI on the Sony OLED play with HDR? I'm a really big fan of removing motion blur on the display end, but that I'd imagine that to kill the HDR effect (if you're even able to enable the feature when the display is operating in HDR mode). Not that I would know anything about that since I've yet to own a 4K TV. I wish I had one, but paying a whole lot on top of that for a end high-end AVR sucks.

asariN7

Is it worth playing with HDR enabled on a Samsung ku6000 series?
Im currently playing Horizon on my pro and seems like its washing out the colours and hasnt made any major differnce in brightness either.

Dave_6

John Wick 2 has to be one of the best uses of HDR I've seen yet. Watched it on my B6 in a pitch dark room and was blown away. Amazing.

Ok i just returned from the store and i saw a Sony 55 inch TV next to a 65 inch TV and wow, that is indeed quite a big difference. It's interesting how on paper in those comparison pictures it really doesn't all that much bigger but when you see it yourself....holy cow.

I've decided, i'm going for the 65 inch B6 for damn sure. I haven't yet decided if i'm gonna wait t see if prices drop or if i'm gonna get it asap. :)

spyder_ur

My TCL P-Series is due to arrive today - pretty excited. Hearing about some issues with light bleed, but we'll see. I'm new to the 4K space and don't have a PS4 Pro or 4K blu-ray player. What are my options for getting some 4K content and taking the TV for a spin for some reference material?

There are some 4K shows on Netflix and Amazon, I know. Can you also rent 4K movies on Amazon? I enabled 4K content on Netflix.

I know it's kind of silly to upgrade with no content to take advantage of it, but the TV as a whole is a big upgrade for me and sounds like everything I was looking for in a set.

Dave_6

Amazon has some 4K movies and shows but their app isn't very intuitive. The only thing I've ever watched on it though is The Grand Tour. Good show and looks very nice in HDR.

Theonik

Ok i just returned from the store and i saw a Sony 55 inch TV next to a 65 inch TV and wow, that is indeed quite a big difference. It's interesting how on paper in those comparison pictures it really doesn't all that much bigger but when you see it yourself....holy cow.

I've decided, i'm going for the 65 inch B6 for damn sure. I haven't yet decided if i'm gonna wait t see if prices drop or if i'm gonna get it asap. :)
People forget that increases in linear proportions mean exponential increases in viewing area. 10 inches is quite a lot to begin with but going from 55 to 65 is 18% in linear proportion but 40% in area.

People forget that increases in linear proportions mean exponential increases in viewing area. 10 inches is quite a lot to begin with but going from 55 to 65 is 18% in linear proportion but 40% in area.

Exactly man. That's definitely why seeing it for yourself with two real TV's is the one and only way to see the real difference. I'm convinced now, i sure as hell am. :D

TheBoss1

I'd argue that "breaking in" a plasma is a bit of a superstition. Same with headphones.

I had a pair of headphones that definitely needed breaking in when I first bought it a few years ago. It sounded like I was playing music through a tin can the 1st couple days.

tuco11

My TCL P-Series is due to arrive today - pretty excited. Hearing about some issues with light bleed, but we'll see. I'm new to the 4K space and don't have a PS4 Pro or 4K blu-ray player. What are my options for getting some 4K content and taking the TV for a spin for some reference material?

There are some 4K shows on Netflix and Amazon, I know. Can you also rent 4K movies on Amazon? I enabled 4K content on Netflix.

I know it's kind of silly to upgrade with no content to take advantage of it, but the TV as a whole is a big upgrade for me and sounds like everything I was looking for in a set.

please post impressions. Been following the AVSforum threads. Holdiing out for the 50 inch later this year instead of getting a Xbox one X.

Madness

Wtf this seems way too good to be true . Does the set disintegrate after a year?

Well it is TCL. Think of Samsung pre-2000. The only issues have always been substandard image quality and build quality issues. I would wait for more major reviews to come in than a handful of user reviews of people who have sets. I don't doubt the specs, but there is no problem waiting until more sets delivered, more reviews come in.

Weevilone

Not at all. Just use it and you should be fine, I've read nothing about break in on OLEDs outside of normal break in for TVs.

My E6 had some pretty bad banding in the gray levels. It was cleaned up by the compensation cycle and is completely gone. In that way there can be a sort of break-in. It's really just letting the first couple cycles run though. I didn't bother to run it manually.

Of course this is different than trying to manually age pixels.

Stiler

Vudu is good if you want 4k/hdr titles,
http://www.watchvudu.com/uhd/

Lego Batman is one of the newer ones that is Dolby Vision on Vudu.

Please let us know how your tv is. I have read reports from avs/slickdeals of some people noticing light bleeding.

I was under the impression that FALD tv's didn't have that issue because the lights are behind the tv and it's based on zones, so no edge lighting or flashlighting issues, so I'm a bit worried about it now.

Some people are reporting they have 0 light bleeding though, so hopefully yours is good in that regard too.

Bah my TCL isn't arriving until tomorrow now, but as my first 4K TV I'm super excited. Will provide impressions if it arrives in one piece :)

I already bought the 4k Blu-ray Planet Earth II, and I'm thinking about Pacific Rim (I have read it is reference-quality). Anything else people recommend as far as outstanding 4K Blu-rays?

e90Mark

Bah my TCL isn't arriving until tomorrow now, but as my first 4K TV I'm super excited. Will provide impressions if it arrives in one piece :)

I already bought the 4k Blu-ray Planet Earth II, and I'm thinking about Pacific Rim (I have read it is reference-quality). Anything else people recommend as far as outstanding 4K Blu-rays?

The Revenant. I think you can get it as cheap as $15 nowadays.

So it seems I might be able to finally get an LG OLED TV...providing nothing else goes wrong today (*touches wood*).

Anyway I am looking at either the OLED55C7T 55" for $3696 or the OLED55E7T 55" for $4696 from JBHifi.

They also have the previous model 55" Curved OLED for $2600.

How are these TV's for gaming?

Stiler

Hacksaw Ridge
Trolls
Despicable Me 2
John Wick 2
The Revenant
Logan
Lego Batman (Dolby Vision and HDR is supposed to be amazing on this)
La La Land
Everest
Mad Max Fury Road

NYR

So it seems I might be able to finally get an LG OLED TV...providing nothing else goes wrong today (*touches wood*).

Anyway I am looking at either the OLED55C7T 55" for $3696 or the OLED55E7T 55" for $4696 from JBHifi.

They also have the previous model 55" Curved OLED for $2600.

How are these TV's for gaming?
Great, get it.

tuco11

In regards to back light bleeding. I never heard of it before reading impressions of the TCL 55in P series. I have an old Sony KDL 52W4100 . What would be the easiest way to test it on this set?

thanks.

Top Bottom