• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Sanctuary

77 inch LG OLED W7 - $15,000. Especially if it will be mounted.

77 inch LG OLED G7 - $13000. If he isn't mounting.

I'll never understand their pricing schemes. A 65'' G7 is $5,000, and a 65'' W7 $8,000. Twelve more inches is great and all, but it's not twice as good.

Theonik

I'll never understand their pricing schemes. A 65'' G7 is $5,000, and a 65'' W7 $8,000. Twelve more inches is great and all, but it's not twice as good.
It's 40% more viewing area actually And you underestimate the extra costs involved with making panels that large especially BECAUSE they are niche products that effectively are BTO.

Sanctuary

It's 40% more viewing area actually And you underestimate the extra costs involved with making panels that large especially BECAUSE they are niche products that effectively are BTO.

No, I really don't. It has everything to do with being niche and people are willing to pay that much for them. It's no different than the way the "audiophile" headphone and amp market is setup. After a point, production cost and quality has zero to do with the inflation.

Theonik

No, I really don't. It has everything to do with being niche and people are willing to pay that much for them. It's no different than the way the "audiophile" headphone and amp market is setup. After a point, production cost and quality has zero to do with the inflation.
77" panels are very niche and have very low yields in OLED. So they cost much more to make. You must also consider that the extra size significantly affects shipping cost and makes them much harder to move in the factory often requiring special tooling for assembly. Much of the production cost is frontloaded so niche sets must be expensive to compensate as well as the fact that you don't just pay for your TV you pay for your share in its production so lower yields mean that effectively the set cost more to make.

Of course margins for those halo sets are also much better but it is what it is.

Greenymac

So I pulled the trigger on the X900e. One last question. Due to 4k and HDR should I need to upgrade HDMI cables? I've got tons here, but don't know if I need to upgrade to something different.

NYR

So I pulled the trigger on the X900e. One last question. Due to 4k and HDR should I need to upgrade HDMI cables? I've got tons here, but don't know if I need to upgrade to something different.
You need what is known as high speed HDMI cables that support HDR and 4K, old HDMI cables won't work.

Theonik

It's hard to tell without trying. At a minimum you need cables tested for high-speed HDMI but really the cables aren't physically different but are built differently.

That is to say you have the same number of cables but usually better shielding on higher spec cables distance and the environment make a really big difference too.

Mode: THX
Contrast: 65
Brightness: 50
Color: 51
Tint: 6
Sharpness: 60
Temp: Cool 1
Color Mgmt: On
CATS: Off
Video NR: Weak
Blur Reduction: On
Aspect: Full, Size 1
Mosquito NR: Off
Black Level: Dark

Cool I'll give this a shot and report back on how it looks on the VT60, I'm mostly in a dim room where lights come from lights and not windows/sun/etc.

So what cable should I get if I need 40 feet? I was looking at one that mentioned 4K support, but then the speed was only 10.2 gbps... and I thought you needed 18 gbps for 4K.

I need it for connecting my PC to the TV.

So what cable should I get if I need 40 feet? I was looking at one that mentioned 4K support, but then the speed was only 10.2 gbps... and I thought you needed 18 gbps for 4K.

I need it for connecting my PC to the TV.

10.2 gbs can support 4K, just not 4k60 4:4:4

Here is a helpful chart:

BPUXmwG.png

That said, if you are using PC, you probably do want a full 4K60 4:4:4 signal. Once you get past 25 feet or so, things can become unreliable though. There are Premium Certified cables, which are certified to pass a full 18gbs signal, however I have only seen them up to 25 feet.

Monoprice Premium Certified: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15430
Blue Jeans Cable Premium Certified: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/premium-hdmi-cable.htm

I have heard of some people having luck with these: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14467

Another, more expensive option is to use Fiber Optic HDMI cables, these supposedly work at lengths over 100 feet, however they cost more.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6HM1RL/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://shop.celeritytek.com/c/ct-fiber-optic-hdmi

One last option, is to buy two 20 foot Premium Certified Monoprice cables, and connect them with a repeater: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15650

Theonik

Bear in mind that for 4K HDR you should be looking at that collumn for 4K60 and 10bit+

Multiple cables and repeaters might do the trick though. Other option is using an optical line with decoder boxes.

Caayn

Do we know what's the rating of the HDMI cable that comes with the PS4 Pro? Should I replace it with one of the high speed ones from monoprice?
The one bundled with consoles is a 18Gbps cable.
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...th-century-fox-team-up-to-support-hdr10/39819

So it looks like Samsung and Panasonic are both jumping on HDR10+. I know my 900e will do HDR10, but would Sony need to update to give it HDR10+? I really hope they do, considering Dolby Vision isn't coming to it.
Apparently Samsung has chosen not to make their pre-2018 TV sets compatible with HDR10+ through HDMI sources.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234332057&postcount=6424

Do we know what's the rating of the HDMI cable that comes with the PS4 Pro? Should I replace it with one of the high speed ones from monoprice?

It's probably a standard high speed cable. But since it is only a short cable, I doubt you need to make sure it is premium certified. Under 10 feet most high speed cables should work just fine. Once you get in the 10-15 foot range and above is when you might start noticing a need for a better cable.

I would just keep that cable unless you. A.) have signal drop outs B.) need a longer cable for some reason

The one bundled with consoles is a 18Gbps cable.
Apparently Samsung has chosen not to make their pre-2018 TV sets compatible with HDR10+ through HDMI sources.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234332057&postcount=6424

It's probably a standard high speed cable. But since it is only a short cable, I doubt you need to make sure it is premium certified. Under 10 feet most high speed cables should work just fine. Once you get in the 10-15 foot range and above is when you might start noticing a need for a better cable.

I would just keep that cable unless you. A.) have signal drop outs B.) need a longer cable for some reason
Awesome, thanks!

Mrbob

Hey I just figured this out:

Different versions of Vudu have yet to be updated. So, I had mentioned earlier how I had the same problem you were having . When I log onto the Vudu app on Xbox, it tells me that I own UHD but Dolby Vision and Atmos are not highlighted.

However, if I log onto the Vudu app on Firestick or the app on my TCL 605, not only are they highlighted but there is a huge difference in image (and streamiing quality)

So try a different Vudu app

I use the Vudu app on my LG C7 and it only shows hdx owned. Have to pay 25 for uhd. Oh well.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

nah it's very different. The panels at that size are so low yield the costs go way way up.

That's a gigantic size difference from a 65.

Reallink

Really wish I knew the financials behind licensing DV

Must be material if everyone is willing to band together to create a competing format.

The Dolby Atmos headphone license is $15 for Xbone/windows, so you can extrapolate from that the Vision license must be $10s of dollars per unit.

The Dolby Atmos headphone license is $15 for Xbone/windows, so you can extrapolate from that the Vision license must be $10s of dollars per unit.

Yeah but i'm guessing it's highly variable.

Like DV licensing is probably very different on a BD disc, versus a BD player, versus an AVR/Prepro, versus a 4KTV (which I assume is the most expensive).

I'd also guess that Atmos for headphones is the least prevalent of the current Dolby tech suite, so maybe the cheapest? Who knows.

Could be wrong about all the above, but the fact remains, whatever the cost is must be significant enough to warrant multiple companies attempting to make a royalty free alternative.

Ashhong

Yup. But the awesome thing about these sites is that you can use them for price matching or Citibank Price Rewind, to get up to $500 off from a legit purchase. :)

Yea that's what I'm looking at doing. Those sites have the LG B7A for ~$1000. The thing is, BHphotovideo has it for $2000. I'm wondering if I split the cost of the TV between 2 credit cards with price protection, if I would get the $500 on both of them. Chase only requires that partial payment is made on the card.

So re: my clouding issues several posts back.

I came across this piece of advice from rtings:

For clouding, there's a pretty simple fix that - while not guaranteed - can have good results. Power on the TV and display a black image. This will allow you to see the lighter spots on the screen. Next, take a soft cloth and massage those brighter spots to improve the uniformity. You should only apply very gentle pressure, just barely touching the screen. You can also try a few different stroking patterns. If you are patient enough, this works surprisingly often, especially on edge-lit TVs.

and it gave me huge improvements. I'm going to wait to test out the color when its pitch black later tonight (and will post comparisons) if any improvements are made.

So re: my clouding issues several posts back.

I came across this piece of advice from rtings:

and it gave me huge improvements. I'm going to wait to test out the color when its pitch black later tonight (and will post comparisons) if any improvements are made.

The thing is, massaging the TV is a temporary fix most of the time

blakdeth

I recently tried some HDR enabled games on my LG OLED55B6P and I've noticed that the HDR game mode's picture is quite a bit darker than HDR standard. Searching Google and AVSForums leads me to believe this is an issue with the latest version of the firmware making the HDR game mode dimmer for better tone mapping.

What I can't seem to determine is if this updated firmware affects the B6 model or if the B6 model has a dimmer HDR game mode by default. If it is the later, I am assuming that reverting the firmware to a previous version will do no good.

Can someone set me straight on the status of LG's HDR game mode for the 2016 B6 models?

Reallink

Yeah but i'm guessing it's highly variable.

Like DV licensing is probably very different on a BD disc, versus a BD player, versus an AVR/Prepro, versus a 4KTV (which I assume is the most expensive).

I'd also guess that Atmos for headphones is the least prevalent of the current Dolby tech suite, so maybe the cheapest? Who knows.

Could be wrong about all the above, but the fact remains, whatever the cost is must be significant enough to warrant multiple companies attempting to make a royalty free alternative.

Yea that was my point, it's a hugely significant cost by their standards. These are companies that have tried to save pennies by opting for inferior quality capacitors, $10-20+ for a software license must seem unfathomable to Samsung brass.

psychotron

So am I screwing myself by buying a 900e now? I'm loving it very much for the 4k and HDR, but what about HDR+ or Dolby Vision? I know DV isn't coming to this model, but it seems a lot of providers are offering both formats. I am worried about HDR+ replacing HDR and I don't get an update to add it.

Klotera

So am I screwing myself by buying a 900e now? I'm loving it very much for the 4k and HDR, but what about HDR+ or Dolby Vision? I know DV isn't coming to this model, but it seems a lot of providers are offering both formats. I am worried about HDR+ replacing HDR and I don't get an update to add it.

It won't replace it, just supplement it, since it's still based on HDR10. It's kind of like how Dolby Digital Plus still has a regular Dolby Digital "core" that can play on receivers that don't support DD+

RedAssedApe

Banned
For those looking at the Sony 55x900e, its currently $1298 (lowest I've seen at Amazon and BB) at Dellhome with $300 Giftcard. Could probably use that $300 towards a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X if you were playing on buying one anyways.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/a9585891?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A9585891

As usual if you buy anything now it'll be in the usual 90 day price protection period that some credit cards have. Which at this point would extend through Black Friday. GC looks like its good for 90 days.

MNC

Short b6 question: is this TV replaced as the 'best affordable oled TV' by a more recent variant or should I still put in effort in finding it? Can only find it for 1899€ which is higher than the 1300$ prices I found on page 40... From what I could tell, the c6/c7 etc don't really offer much more than the b6

MWake

Neo Member
Short b6 question: is this TV replaced as the 'best affordable oled TV' by a more recent variant or should I still put in effort in finding it? Can only find it for 1899€ which is higher than the 1300$ prices I found on page 40... From what I could tell, the c6/c7 etc don't really offer much more than the b6

You should be able to find a 55 B7 for around that same price.

Ashhong

For those looking at the Sony 55x900e, its currently $1298 (lowest I've seen at Amazon and BB) at Dellhome with $300 Giftcard. Could probably use that $300 towards a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X if you were playing on buying one anyways.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/a9585891?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A9585891

As usual if you buy anything now it'll be in the usual 90 day price protection period that some credit cards have. Which at this point would extend through Black Friday. GC looks like its good for 90 days.

Fyi this is perfect in combination with a credit card that price matches. The 300$ doesn't show up on the receipt so you can buy it there, price match to numerous sites selling it for 1000$, and also have a 300$ Dell gift card on top of it. I might jump in now

Edit: lul, completely missed your last paragraph

Wish that was on the 75" as well.

Edit - confirmed with chat support that they won't allow it on the 75.

Greenymac

I just knew as soon as I ordered a great deal would happen. SON OF A BITCH! Mine arrives from Amazon tomorrow!

I recently tried some HDR enabled games on my LG OLED55B6P and I've noticed that the HDR game mode's picture is quite a bit darker than HDR standard. Searching Google and AVSForums leads me to believe this is an issue with the latest version of the firmware making the HDR game mode dimmer for better tone mapping.

What I can't seem to determine is if this updated firmware affects the B6 model or if the B6 model has a dimmer HDR game mode by default. If it is the later, I am assuming that reverting the firmware to a previous version will do no good.

Can someone set me straight on the status of LG's HDR game mode for the 2016 B6 models?

The B6 HDR Game mode was always slightly dimmer than Standard mode (except for US models where the very first version of HDR Game was a bit brighter but suffered from screen tearing). Thus downgrading the firmware won't help you. If you find HDR Game mode too dark try fiddling with dynamic contrast and ingame brightness controls.

The things you've been reading about on AVSForums concern the other OLED models (the C/E/G series). These models recently received a firmware upgrade that significantly decreased the overall brightness of HDR Game mode. It might be a good idea to disable automatic updates on your B6 in case LG plans to also bring this dim HDR Game mode to the B6.

I think this is the place to ask it?

I'm trying to watch a video on my 65B6 with srt file. It works fine when I have the video and srt on USB stick. The subtitles are enabled automatically.

However, more ideal would be to use the LG's media server app. So I have this video and srt on my Surface Pro. I open the video in the media server app on TV and it works but for some reason subtitles are not on and the option for it is greyed out. Is there a way to fix this?

Kyoufu

I think this is the place to ask it?

I'm trying to watch a video on my 65B6 with srt file. It works fine when I have the video and srt on USB stick. The subtitles are enabled automatically.

However, more ideal would be to use the LG's media server app. So I have this video and srt on my Surface Pro. I open the video in the media server app on TV and it works but for some reason subtitles are not on and the option for it is greyed out. Is there a way to fix this?

I don't know which app you're using but Plex does the job nicely for me.

I don't know which app you're using but Plex does the job nicely for me.

Yeah I'm using the standard media server app that is on the TV itself. I will give Plex a whirl then. It's not a huge deal to copy files onto my USB stick but if it can all be done with all the files on my Surface, that be super.

Top Bottom