• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

sector4

Any other reference discs you'd recommend?

I've only picked up that one and Guardians 2 in anticipation of getting the 203. I'll probably hold off on most action movies until I have the full atmos system up and running in the next month or two

I've seen most of the disks that are out (especially if they have an Atmos or DTS track), so here are my recommendations!

Pure Picture Quality

The Revenant (one of the first disks, and still one of the best, absolutely breathtaking)
Planet Earth II
Trolls
Billy Lyn's Long Halftime Walk (it's high framerate video, so it looks weird, but it's so impressive from a technical standpoint)
John Wick 1 & 2
Kong: Skull Island
The Lego Batman Movie
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Logan / Logan Noir
Deepwater Horizon
Magnificent Seven
The Shallows
Life of Pi

And here are my favourite Atmos / DTS X Soundtracks

Mad Max: Fury Road (absolutely ferocious Atmos track)
John Wick 1 & 2
Lucy
13 Hours: Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (only one here that isn't 4K, but is worth it for the Atmos)
Dredd
Logan
Trolls
Deadpool
TMNT: Out of the Shadows
Everest
Deepwater Horizon
Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Great Wall
Sully
Lone Survivor
The Legend of Tarzan (this was my demo disk for a long time for a key Atmos scene, it blew people away, not a great movie though)
Seasons 5 and 6 of Game of Thrones are the best ones for Atmos too.

Also if you have Season 5 of Game of Thrones, chuck in disk 1, because there is an awesome Dolby Atmos stinger that blows my mind every time haha!

Enjoy your new setup! :D Atmos is the best haha!

Aerogamer

Neo Member
Thinking of picking up a secondary television for the family room. Already have a Samsung KS8000 65 as a primary. How is the Vizio M65-E0 it is $1,099.00 at Best Buy right now. I expect it will be cut more in November though.

Theonik

Because DV is superior to HDR10 in retaining bright highlights on content that is mastered at 1000 to 4000 nits on low brightness TVs, like OLEDs.
That's not really true though. It's simply a question of whether the TV has a good HDR implementation in general. Panasonic does not have any issues there.

Kyoufu

That's not really true though. It's simply a question of whether the TV has a good HDR implementation in general. Panasonic does not have any issues there.

It's true though.

Panasonic does have very competent tone mapping but it still can't match an LCD TV on the brightest scenes. Content with bright highlights that are mastered in 4000 nits, an LCD TV like the Sony ZD9 will easily look better.

Here's a pro calibrator and reviewer who shows an example of this: https://youtu.be/ps-JIttlB8c?t=793

Dolby Vision would help with this.

I've seen most of the disks that are out (especially if they have an Atmos or DTS track), so here are my recommendations!

Pure Picture Quality

The Revenant (one of the first disks, and still one of the best, absolutely breathtaking)
Planet Earth II
Trolls
Billy Lyn's Long Halftime Walk (it's high framerate video, so it looks weird, but it's so impressive from a technical standpoint)
John Wick 1 & 2
The Lego Batman Movie
Logan / Logan Noir
Deepwater Horizon
Magnificent Seven
The Shallows
Life of Pi

John Wick 1 & 2
Lucy
13 Hours: Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (only one here that isn't 4K, but is worth it for the Atmos)
Dredd
Logan
Trolls
Deadpool
Everest
Deepwater Horizon
Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Great Wall
Sully
Lone Survivor
The Legend of Tarzan (this was my demo disk for a long time for a key Atmos scene, it blew people away, not a great movie though)

Also if you have Season 5 of Game of Thrones, chuck in disk 1, because there is an awesome Dolby Atmos stinger that blows my mind every time haha!

I'll have to save this list for once I actually have everything set up!

Do you mind sharing what kind of configuration you're running for Atmos? What ones, where, and maybe what AVR?

Theonik

It's true though.

Panasonic does have very competent tone mapping but it still can't match an LCD TV on the brightest scenes. Content with bright highlights that are mastered in 4000 nits, an LCD TV like the Sony ZD9 will easily look better.

Here's a pro calibrator and reviewer who shows an example of this: https://youtu.be/ps-JIttlB8c?t=793

Dolby Vision would help with this.
I am aware. DV doesn't solve the underlying issue. It's just a lot more competent at tonemapping than many TVs are.

e90Mark

Pure Picture Quality

Planet Earth II
Trolls
John Wick 1 & 2
The Lego Batman Movie
Logan / Logan Noir
Deepwater Horizon
Magnificent Seven
The Shallows
Life of Pi

John Wick 1 & 2
Lucy
Dredd
Logan
Trolls
Deadpool
Everest
Deepwater Horizon
Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Great Wall
Sully
Lone Survivor

Definitely a solid list. I was eyeing a cheap copy of Trolls, but dunno if I could get passed the actual movie just to see some great PQ. It has good reviews on RT, tho.

I just picked up John Wick and Logan this week to watch this weekend. What Atmos speakers do you have? I just have a pair of NHT AFX Mini's.

My most recent watch was The Shallows and seeing Blake Lively in 4K was just.. leofistbite.gif

Watched John Wick 2 last night. Personally, I think that it looked really damn good. Especially the opening action scene, with all the neon lights and reflections off the cars.

OLED is so sexy.

Smokey

I just got a 65'' B6 at an open box price at Best Buy. The remote that came with it doesn't work. Seems like they gave me a 2017 OLED package. Universal remote doesn't work either. I'm going to have to buy a AN-MR650 remote from LG to even get into the TV proper. Every button works except the damn "ok" button which is kind of important and needed to switch inputs and confirm settings.

Then the LG firmware BS. I can't tell what version my TV is running due to the above, but it's concerning.

I just got a 65'' B6 at an open box price at Best Buy. The remote that came with it doesn't work. Seems like they gave me a 2017 OLED package. Universal remote doesn't work either. I'm going to have to buy a AN-MR650 remote from LG to even get into the TV proper. Every button works except the damn "ok" button which is kind of important and needed to switch inputs and confirm settings.

Then the LG firmware BS. I can't tell what version my TV is running due to the above, but it's concerning.

For now you could try the LG TV Plus app on your smartphone and see if it lets you access all the settings.

It does sound strange though that the OK button of all things wouldn't work. Which remote did they give you?

ToD_

Watched John Wick 2 last night. Personally, I think that it looked really damn good. Especially the opening action scene, with all the neon lights and reflections off the cars.

OLED is so sexy.

I too happened to watch John Wick 2 (Blu-ray) yesterday on the OLED. This movie has many dark scenes with high contrast and great colors. It really is beautiful to watch on an OLED. I'd pretty much call it perfect on my self calibrated C7.

Saty

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my new TV (European equivalent of Sony X800E i think). Basically the HDMI signal intermittently cuts off and back on when 'HDMI Enhanced Format' is turned ON. When i set it to off there are no problems whatsoever. I'm using the HDMI 2 port that supports the 'enhanced format'. How can i fix this?

e90Mark

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my new TV (European equivalent of Sony X800E i think). Basically the HDMI signal intermittently cuts off and back on when 'HDMI Enhanced Format' is turned ON. When i set it to off there are no problems whatsoever. I'm using the HDMI 2 port that supports the 'enhanced format'. How can i fix this?

Sounds like a cable problem. Are you using Premium HDMI Certified cables?

Smokey

For now you could try the LG TV Plus app on your smartphone and see if it lets you access all the settings.

It does sound strange though that the OK button of all things wouldn't work. Which remote did they give you?

The AN-MR650A. Doing some Googling shows that mode is for the 2017 line, whereas I need the AN-MR650.

I do have a LG V10.

But don't you have to get into the TV and pair it to your home network for that to work?

Flipside

After spending a week on reading reviews, specs and comparisons I finally think I decided on my first 4k HDR television. I am still doubting between two models a little bit so I hope some people here can help me out.

After seeing a great deal on the Samsung 65MU7070 I decided to go for that. The next day I found out it doesn't have a true 10 bit panel so I decided to cancel the order and look further. Of course the prices kept going up as the alternatives where getting better.

Ultimately I decided to go for the SONY 65XE9005 (XE90). The colors don't pop off the screen but they do seem very natural. The direct led and full array local dimming seemed awesome and most reviews seem to really like the features this tv offers for the price tag attached to it.

The only alternative I'm still considering (a little bit) is the Samsung 65" Q7F. The main reason this screen interests me is because of the input lag of 24ms vs 31-34ms on the SONY. The Qled screen did seem extremely bright to me. It definitely had a wow effect but it might be a bit too much for everyday use.

Would you recommend the Samsung 65" Q7F for around €2350.- (including a current cash back deal) over the SONY 65" XE90 for €1850.- Is 10ms less input lag worth €500.-? The 'cheaper' SONY does seem to have other advantages over the QLed (direct led, deeper black levels, etc.)

Thanks in advance for helping out!

The AN-MR650A. Doing some Googling shows that mode is for the 2017 line, whereas I need the AN-MR650.

I do have a LG V10.

But don't you have to get into the TV and pair it to your home network for that to work?

I never actually tried the remote app so I don't how to set it up. You can however access all settings with the little nub under the LG logo on the tv. This way you can at least set it up and see if everything works (and probably pair the smartphone app if you want).

Pretty scummy from LG though that the 2017 remotes don't work on the 2016 sets.

Evo X

Hey guys, my brother wants to get the 65" Sony OLED for his bedroom. Even on sale, it's a thousand dollars more than the equivalent LG. Worth it?

Smokey

I never actually tried the remote app so I don't how to set it up. You can however access all settings with the little nub under the LG logo on the tv. This way you can at least set it up and see if everything works (and probably pair the smartphone app if you want).

Pretty scummy from LG though that the 2017 remotes don't work on the 2016 sets.

:eek:

Gonna try that.

ApharmdX

Banned

OLED is so sexy.

Yeah, that movie looks tremendous on UHD BR.

After spending a week on reading reviews, specs and comparisons I finally think I decided on my first 4k HDR television. I am still doubting between two models a little bit so I hope some people here can help me out.

After seeing a great deal on the Samsung 65MU7070 I decided to go for that. The next day I found out it doesn't have a true 10 bit panel so I decided to cancel the order and look further. Of course the prices kept going up as the alternatives where getting better.

Ultimately I decided to go for the SONY 65XE9005 (XE90). The colors don't pop off the screen but they do seem very natural. The direct led and full array local dimming seemed awesome and most reviews seem to really like the features this tv offers for the price tag attached to it.

The only alternative I'm still considering (a little bit) is the Samsung 65" Q7F. The main reason this screen interests me is because of the input lag of 24ms vs 31-34ms on the SONY. The Qled screen did seem extremely bright to me. It definitely had a wow effect but it might be a bit too much for everyday use.

Would you recommend the Samsung 65" Q7F for around €2350.- (including a current cash back deal) over the SONY 65" XE90 for €1850.- Is 10ms less input lag worth €500.-? The 'cheaper' SONY does seem to have other advantages over the QLed (direct led, deeper black levels, etc.)

I wouldn't recommend any of Samsung's line this year. The Q7 does a really poor job with local dimming, even for an edge-lit display.

Hey guys, my brother wants to get the 65" Sony OLED for his bedroom. Even on sale, it's a thousand dollars more than the equivalent LG. Worth it?

No way. These sets are roughly equivalent. LG's is brighter, can disable ABL/ABL kicks in less, better OS, lower input lag. Sony has better processing and better sound. The design might be more attractive depending on your preference.

MazeHaze

Banned

I'd go with the Sony. Better motion, cheaper, better blacks. The Samsung doesn't have full array dimming, so in movies black bars will flash gray when the picture is displaying bright images.

Not worth 1000 dollars difference IMO. It might have better processing, but I'm pretty sure it uses the same exact LG panel.

Flipside

I wouldn't recommend any of Samsung's line this year. The Q7 does a really poor job with local dimming, even for an edge-lit display.

I'd go with the Sony. Better motion, cheaper, better blacks. The Samsung doesn't have full array dimming, so in movies black bars will flash gray when the picture is displaying bright images.

Thanks!

The thing that worries me the most is the difference in input lag for gaming. The Samsung has 24ms where the Sony has 34ms. Is this at all noticeable?

Formidable

Neo Member
Hey everyone,

So I've seen an open box LG 55" B6 OLED locally demo'd for the same price as the Sony 55" X900E. For mostly gaming and HDR movies, should I get the OLED? Reviews seem to tell me that I'm correct in leaning towards the older OLED.

This is to replace my Panny VT60 plasma.

Thanks!

The thing that worries me the most is the difference in input lag for gaming. The Samsung has 24ms where the Sony has 34ms. Is this at all noticeable?

In my experience where lag really hits most people the hardest is with cumulative lag. 34ms is so-so, but it becomes terrible if you are feeding it emulators or upscalers that also have lag and now all of a sudden you are in the 50-70ms range. Danger!

Sadly some (a small percent) games are guilty of huge lag (see Killzone series, RottR); some so bad that even if you had a 0ms display you'd still feel it.

Weevilone

Thanks!

That will be a personal thing, but it's not something that I'd notice. I used a display that had 64ms latency and it never bothered me, unless I was using Steam streaming ( so you had added latency from that whole mechanism).

zeeaykay

I've been hoping to hold out until Best Buy lowers their price for ease of their replacement plan (and instant pick-up) if something is wrong, but with taxes and how much more expensive it is compared to other online retailers it doesn't seem like it will actually be worth it to wait. Thinking about buying from a reputable but cheap online retailer and using credit card price matching come black Friday to lower the price without having to wait much longer.

My question: Is it more difficult to deal with repair or replacement buying online or would LG send someone to deal with that anyways? There are enough problems I've seen with the C7 (severe banding, ect.) that I don't want it to be a huge hassle if there's a problem. I wouldn't have to ship it back to get a replacement, right?

I've been hoping to hold out until Best Buy lowers their price for ease of their replacement plan (and instant pick-up) if something is wrong, but with taxes and how much more expensive it is compared to other online retailers it doesn't seem like it will actually be worth it to wait. Thinking about buying from a reputable but cheap online retailer and using credit card price matching come black Friday to lower the price without having to wait much longer.

My question: Is it more difficult to deal with repair or replacement buying online or would LG send someone to deal with that anyways? There are enough problems I've seen with the C7 (severe banding, ect.) that I don't want it to be a huge hassle if there's a problem. I wouldn't have to ship it back to get a replacement, right?

Right. Technicians service in home (under warranty).

You can research on AVS, but anecdotally it seems like LG has been overall good to deal with, esp in replacing panels. That being said, ensure you're buying from an authorized retailer, otherwise you might run the risk of LG not honoring the warranty. Haven't heard of that happening, but it's just always something to be aware of.

Schlomo

Since some people were asking me which PC mode HDR problem I was referring to in regards to the LG B7, I checked it again and it's still the same on the current firmware:

PC Mode HDR
agmttSD.jpg

Other Mode HDR (ignore the moire effect)
KM00OR7.jpg

I also checked input lag in PC mode HDR again, and true enough, that really seems to have been fixed and is about the same as Game Mode now.

Ashhong

When I received a bad Vizio TV I called Vizio and they had a new one shipped out to me and then that same person boxed up and took the old one back. Pretty painless overall. I'm sure LG would be the same if the TV needed replacing rather than servicing.

Since some people were asking me which PC mode HDR problem I was referring to in regards to the LG B7, I checked it again and it's still the same on the current firmware:

I also checked input lag in PC mode HDR again, and true enough, that really seems to have been fixed and is about the same as Game Mode now.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. Can you link to your original problem post? What's the issue?

III-V

PC mode HDR looks atrocious.

Do you have an AVR so you can validate chroma, bit rate, etc?

Schlomo

The banding I'm guessing. The two images look completely different anyway, in terms of calibration.

Exactly. The colors are very different because the non-PC mode one was set to Game Mode, sorry. But the color banding issue remains the same in all picture modes, als long as the PC icon is selected.

The basic issue was that some people here were suggesting others to use PC mode for HDR gaming, and I wanted to show why that's not a good suggestion for this TV model.

I have an AVR, but I don't understand what the rest of that sentence means.

I too happened to watch John Wick 2 (Blu-ray) yesterday on the OLED. This movie has many dark scenes with high contrast and great colors. It really is beautiful to watch on an OLED. I'd pretty much call it perfect on my self calibrated C7.

Yeah, it's gorgeous.

So what's ideal for gaming on the C/B7 then? Not PC mode? Just HDR game mode since the tonemapping is still effed in PC mode?

This is my favorite post in this entire thread so far.

E: On a related note, I'd be super curious what AVRs show that kind of info. My Anthem AVM60 doesn't expose that level of detail (video bitrate) but it sure would be nice. Oppo players on the other hand will give you that and more.

III-V

Exactly. The colors are very different because the non-PC mode one was set to Game Mode, sorry. But the color banding issue remains the same in all picture modes, als long as the PC icon is selected.

The basic issue was that some people here were suggesting others to use PC mode for HDR gaming, and I wanted to show why that's not a good suggestion for this TV model.

Lots of AVR have an info function that can be used to determine the bit depth and chroma, resolution, etc.

Might look like: 2160p 10-bit YUV420 if you are getting proper HDR10.

Edit: both of my Denons have done this. And I mistakenly rote bit rate, I meant bit depth. Rate would be cool though as well, although I can't see that information.

Ashhong

The banding I'm guessing. The two images look completely different anyway, in terms of calibration.

Is banding the waves that I can see in the blue? I figured that was just an effect from the picture itself. I never did understand all of these different words to describe issues..

Hey everyone,

So I've seen an open box LG 55" B6 OLED locally demo'd for the same price as the Sony 55" X900E. For mostly gaming and HDR movies, should I get the OLED? Reviews seem to tell me that I'm correct in leaning towards the older OLED.

I would say go with the B6 if they're the same price as the B6 usually runs about 700 more. The OLED & Dolby Vision are the biggest differences. I went C6 (a curved b6) over the X900 & I had to pay 500$ more so for equal price get the B6

nomis

PC mode HDR Standard looks better to me than Non-PC HDR Game mode, tone mapping notwithstanding

Afaik those are the only two real options for low lag

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

The answer is quite easy for all of you

Get the Sony

:)

If I could afford the Sony OLED, I'd go for that, but else, the XE 90/93 are my favourite sets right now

And no, you likely won't notice the input lag at all. Motion is great on it, and good motion makes games feel more responsive

Top Bottom