• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Hawk269

Oh man HDR in Forza 7,lovely. Especially when you then disable HDR you instantly notice how much duller the visuals are. Finally I'm seeing the greatness of HDR.

ReCore looks great too even if it looks a bit extreme. It's like Joule has been in the sun for hours on end, lol.

What tv do you have?

asdad123

Any recommendations for a sound bar? The speakers on my 65E6 aren't that good. I know a sound bar probably won't be much better but it will still be better than what I got.

I don't see a difference with HDR on/off with games. I thought I did at first, but that's because my light was at 60 in SDR...I cranked it up to 100 and it looked similar to me. 😕

Kambing

Input lag isn't everything :)

I don’t disagree. With that being said, if you take the time to look through the links i posted, you’ll notice that both HDTVtest and the TV shootout go through a myriad of measurable metrics to determine why one display is better than another. You’ll also notice that both parties don’t really give a shit about input lag — they prioritize whatever display gets closest to producing reference. Ultimately your personal preference might disagree with already established video standards, but that’s really not at all the point of my linking those two pages.

But picture and sound is a personal thing, and short of a calibration the sets are close to one another — I’d suggest people compare side by side. You can’t argue someones preference but there is no arguing against what can be measured.

Man I would love to get an OLED. But I've seen too many scary reports on screen burn. A guy on r/xboxone posted about his LG and the screen burn from playing Destiny 2. It was really bad.

Yawnny

Man I would love to get an OLED. But I've seen too many scary reports on screen burn. A guy on r/xboxone posted about his LG and the screen burn from playing Destiny 2. It was really bad.

I remember reading about burn in before pulling the trigger on my B6 about 6 months back.

No burn in whatsoever after playing lots of games with HUDs (Witcher 3, GTA5, etc..)

Yawnny

LG B6 question here:

I finally switched over to SDR Game for my non HDR gaming sessions. The Color settings of 50 at Wide Color Gamut blows out the reds hard. I'm used to ISF Dark Room and tweaking from there but the input lag finally got to me.

I bumped down my color to 45 and it seems better.

Is this similar to what other folks have done?

Bustanen

LG B6 question here:

I finally switched over to SDR Game for my non HDR gaming sessions. The Color settings of 50 at Wide Color Gamut blows out the reds hard. I'm used to ISF Dark Room and tweaking from there but the input lag finally got to me.

Don't use wide, normal is the recommended setting for HDR and SDR.

Schlomo

Since I got the E7 at a great deal, I may just stay with it. Using the trick and putting the HDMI input and changing the icon to PC and with the latest firmware, the input lag in other HDR picture mode is the same as in Game Mode. I am currently using Standard which is substantially brighter than game mode and it looks great. I just don't like having to switch when watching a HDR movie (I use my Xbox One S for UHD movies).

Could you please check if color gradients look the same on your E7 in HDR when using PC mode and non-PC mode and you're not seeing anything like the issue in the pictures I posted two pages back?

LG B6 question here:

I bumped the color down to 46 and find it acceptable. It's still baffling to me why they would lock this option.

Thanks. Looking for any 7 series owners and get input on what they have color and color temp at.

Glad you saw the "light" of HDR gaming? It is truly impressive, especially when comparing SDR gaming to HDR gaming.

From what I've read the 2016 and 2017 series is pretty similar. So for what it's worth I'm using HDR bright and color is at 60(default) and color temp is at 0. :)

And yeah man, my eyes have been opened for goddamn sure now. I tried Hitman and also Ghost Recon beta, Jesus it looked fucking sweet. I can only imagine how it will look on one X with the 4k patch. I don't know why but until now I had been a bit disappointed about HDR but that's only because I hadn't seen it on my own TV yet and only video a few Gamersyde videos but that's not the same. After being able to directly compare it to SDR it was shocking.

I don't see a difference with HDR on/off with games. I thought I did at first, but that's because my light was at 60 in SDR...I cranked it up to 100 and it looked similar to me. 😕

That's odd. I have OLED light at 100 on all modes all the time and the difference is crazy. Not sure what is going on for you.

I would personally say I find the IR really annoying because it just appears way too quickly but it also goes away real soon. I don't regret my B6 purchase though. In no way.

BriGuy

I had the cash socked away for a 65" C7, but I just can't do it. I have a 70" Vizio now and don't think I can go down in size. More importantly, variable refresh rate with HDMI 2.1 just sounds like way too important a feature for gaming and something I would really regret not having access to (kind of like the lack of HDR on my current set). When are we expecting televisions to launch with this again?

Kyoufu

I had the cash socked away for a 65" C7, but I just can't do it. I have a 70" Vizio now and don't think I can go down in size. More importantly, variable refresh rate with HDMI 2.1 just sounds like way too important a feature for gaming and something I would really regret not having access to (kind of like the lack of HDR on my current set). When are we expecting televisions to launch with this again?

Around Spring 2018 if CES in January is kind to us.

psychotron

Destiny was a Plasma killer back in the day, so I can only imagine it on an OLED. Even If they were affordable, I’m tired of watching how much I play a game. Prey left a hud on my Plasma, which is why I finally said screw it and got the 900e.

I'm happy to say that HDR bright is doable in terms of input lag. I tried out Gears 4 and it's definitely playable. Not nearly as snappy as HDR game mode but decent.

But again, a goddamn shame that LG is ignoring the requests. It would be superb if they just made HDR game mode just as bright as HDR bright.

Bustanen

That's odd. I have OLED light at 100 on all modes all the time and the difference is crazy. Not sure what is going on for you.

I would personally say I find the IR really annoying because it just appears way too quickly but it also goes away real soon. I don't regret my B6 purchase though. In no way.
Tried lowering the OLED light to below 50? That IR might develop to burn in while running torch mode all the time.

I don’t disagree. With that being said, if you take the time to look through the links i posted, you’ll notice that both HDTVtest and the TV shootout go through a myriad of measurable metrics to determine why one display is better than another. You’ll also notice that both parties don’t really give a shit about input lag — they prioritize whatever display gets closest to producing reference. Ultimately your personal preference might disagree with already established video standards, but that’s really not at all the point of my linking those two pages.

But picture and sound is a personal thing, and short of a calibration the sets are close to one another — I’d suggest people compare side by side. You can’t argue someones preference but there is no arguing against what can be measured.
A lot of outlets, including HDTVTest, prefer the Sony in many aspects. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

RockmanBN

What brightness do people have on the C7. I was playing Destiny 2 and I couldn't see anything in dark areas with the default 50 on game mode.

Hawk269

Could you please check if color gradients look the same on your E7 in HDR when using PC mode and non-PC mode and you're not seeing anything like the issue in the pictures I posted two pages back?

I will take a look for you later today. Is there a specific game that you used to see it. Name a few so this way I can see if I have the game and do a apples to apples comparison. But I can tell you right now, I thought I saw more color gradients in Halo Wars 2 in PC mode, it was something I noticed before heading to bed last night, but have not tested it further in non-pc mode.

Any suggestions on what to watch/play first on my B6 once I have the remote this week? I bought the LG UHD player along with Planet Earth II, Revenant, and Kong Skull Island. I already have PEII on standard Blu, but I know it's ref quality and double dipped on UHD. Ive heard the same about Revenant and haven't seen the movie at all as I was waiting until I got a 4k set.

On the gaming aide I've got a Pro and a bunch of games. Horizon, UC4, Ratchet, Destiny 2 etc.

From waht I understand I want to run in Game Mode with HDR Standard, and DO NOT download the latest 5.xx firmware, is this correct? Anything I need to do on PS4 Pro itself?

Planet Earth II was really good looking, Revenant's disc gets a lot of praise, I haven't watched my copy of Kong Skull Island yet but the reviews mentioned the disc did a really good job with the expansive color pallete of the movie.

Horizon and Rachet would be among my first on the gaming side since you've got them. They look gorgeous. :)

I think for LG you need to turn on HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color for your inputs on the TV, or at least the one you're connecting the Pro to (or a 4K blu-ray player).
Then just make sure your Pro is detecting/enabling the right video setting which should be the best 2160p RGB for you and recognizing it as HDR capable. You probably already turned on Boost Mode for any non-patched games since you've had your system already.

I've now tried out FM7 demo, FH3, Hitman, Gears 4,Recore and the Ghost Recon beta and man, in terms of overall visuals it becomes a completely different experience. I really hope all games from now on will offer HDR. I know that won't happen but hopefully we can look forward to many to come.

I also gave Netflix on Xbox One S a whirl and I noticed that the film grain during the Marvel shows isn't nearly as bad as these shows on the B6's own Netflix app. The app has Dolby Vision and Xbox app HDR. Interesting.

Hawk269

From what I've read the 2016 and 2017 series is pretty similar. So for what it's worth I'm using HDR bright and color is at 60(default) and color temp is at 0. :)

And yeah man, my eyes have been opened for goddamn sure now. I tried Hitman and also Ghost Recon beta, Jesus it looked fucking sweet. I can only imagine how it will look on one X with the 4k patch. I don't know why but until now I had been a bit disappointed about HDR but that's only because I hadn't seen it on my own TV yet and only video a few Gamersyde videos but that's not the same. After being able to directly compare it to SDR it was shocking.

The 2017's don't have a HDR bright option. But the 2017's have other little things like changing the label of the input to PC which then allows you to use any of the picture settings in HDR at the low 21ms input lag which is kind of nice. I am still doing some testing on if there are some color gradients issues, but it looks great using HDR Standard on my set.

Just downloaded the Forza 7 demo on my gaming rig, going to test it out at 4k to see how it looks on my E7!!!

Yes, input lag isn't everything. Which is why I'm gaming on a 65 inch OLED with 21 ms input lag and not a 27 inch gaming monitor with 2 ms input lag. Picture quality is paramount.

However, there is a point where - no matter how good the image looks - if I'm not having a good time playing it, because the response is significantly delayed, then it doesn't matter how good it looks. I won't enjoy it.

Not that you won't enjoy it at 34 ms, but there IS an appreciable difference between 34 and 24. As in, "oh, I can kinda tell there's lag" and "oh, I can kinda tell a bit less that there's lag".

Since I use a pc with my tv I wanted an OLED that was as responsive as possible, which is why I sold off my E6 and got a 2017 model. I need those chicken dinners!

Kambing

A lot of outlets, including HDTVTest, prefer the Sony in many aspects. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Like it does here? https://youtu.be/W8cN-549F4E?t=32m57s

Mate, all i said was that the 2017 LG OLED is a better buy even if the Sony OLED is cheaper. Just like the Panasonic would be a better buy (if it was even for sale in the US) even if the LG or Sony was cheaper. OUTSIDE of personal preference, and based on defined video standards, this is corroborated by the link above (that ranks the Panasonic #1 and LG #2) and the TV shootout in the prior link. Sure all of this means jack if you don't care about directors intent/video standards. I agree with you on personal preference, but that's not even what I've been talking about.

BTW, here are the latest USA street prices:

OLED55B7A are $1550
OLED55C7P are $1775
OLED55E7P are $2000
XBR-55A1E are $2600

OLED65B7A are $2400
OLED65C7P are $2525
OLED65E7P are $2800
OLED65G7P are $3400
OLED65W7P are $5800
XBR-65A1E are $3400

Mate, all i said was that the 2017 LG OLED is a better buy even if the Sony OLED is cheaper. Just like the Panasonic would be a better buy (if it was even for sale in the US) even if the LG or Sony was cheaper. OUTSIDE of personal preference, and based on defined video standards, this is corroborated by the link above (that ranks the Panasonic #1 and LG #2) and the TV shootout in the prior link. Sure all of this means jack if you don't care about directors intent/video standards. I agree with you on personal preference, but that's not even what I've been talking about.

OLED55B7A are $1550
OLED55C7P are $1775
OLED55E7P are $2000
XBR-55A1E are $2600

OLED65B7A are $2400
OLED65C7P are $2525
OLED65E7P are $2800
OLED65G7P are $3400
OLED65W7P are $5800
XBR-65A1E are $3400
The shootout is where attendees vote. Teoh's own review on HDTVTest rates the Sony higher than the LG. That's what I've been referencing, alongside a number of similar reviews. Not that it matters either way. Not sure what you're on about with the prices either.

Hawk269

Ok...I did some tests and sure enough PC mode introduces gradients. I was playing the Forza 7 demo on PC in HDR and when the E7 is in PC mode when you look at the sky you can see the color gradients plain as day. I tried switching to all picture modes and the gradients remained.

When I switched the input back to HDMI the gradient disappeared and image looked fantastic.

I thought I had found something that would give me a little bit more brightness in HDR but the trick of changing the label to PC introduces the gradients. Standard picture mode in PC mode/HDR looks fantastic, bright, colorful and same input lag as Game mode...but if it has the gradients it really looks bad. While racing around the cloudy, raining portion of the F7 demo with the clouds moving it looked as if someone was smearing different levels of Vaseline on the screen. The gradients were really bad. My initial tests were just using Halo Wars 2 were I thought I saw some, but it was not till I tried F7 that it really reared it's ugly head.

I am not sure why LG would make a firmware update that makes all picture modes in PC with low input lag, but introduce this issue? It was the perfect fit for those of us that thought HDMI HDR Game mode was a little dark (it is not terrible, but could be brighter) and this supposed fix/trick was the cure. Arghhhh!!!

There is the other trick while in HDMI mode, Game/HDR of changing the Dynamic Contrast to "Low" which engages Active HDR. This gives the picture a little more brightness and makes it a bit more better. I guess the big issue is once you have seen it with standard in PC mode with the low input lag and then changing it back to HDMI Game/HDR mode, even with the D.C. trick it does not look as good imho.

So, in the end what you are seeing is what I am now seeing, PC mode introduces color gradients to images so it basically makes it pointless to even use that mode.

TLZ

Banned
I take back what I said, HDR game mode is bullshit and the complaints are very warranted. It totally doesn't show the benefits of your OLED at all.

At the moment i am using HDR bright with most stuff kept at default and noise reductions off and everything. Forza Horizon 3 looks great that way. With HDR game mode dim as all hell. It doesn't matter for this game because you don't need a low input lag all that bad but for shooters, sjeesh.
So drastic.

I found it to look different with each game. In fifa 18 it looks dark, but then in Nba it looked perfect. Maybe it's the Devs who aren't doing this right and need a standard?

Hawk269

So drastic.

I found it to look different with each game. In fifa 18 it looks dark, but then in Nba it looked perfect. Maybe it's the Devs who aren't doing this right and need a standard?

You missed his follow up replies. He went back and turned HDR on and off and he saw the light! :) He is pretty impressed now and wishes every game had HDR.

Ok...I did some tests and sure enough PC mode introduces gradients. I was playing the Forza 7 demo on PC in HDR and when the E7 is in PC mode when you look at the sky you can see the color gradients plain as day. I tried switching to all picture modes and the gradients remained.

When I switched the input back to HDMI the gradient disappeared and image looked fantastic.

I thought I had found something that would give me a little bit more brightness in HDR but the trick of changing the label to PC introduces the gradients. Standard picture mode in PC mode/HDR looks fantastic, bright, colorful and same input lag as Game mode...but if it has the gradients it really looks bad. While racing around the cloudy, raining portion of the F7 demo with the clouds moving it looked as if someone was smearing different levels of Vaseline on the screen. The gradients were really bad. My initial tests were just using Halo Wars 2 were I thought I saw some, but it was not till I tried F7 that it really reared it's ugly head.

I am not sure why LG would make a firmware update that makes all picture modes in PC with low input lag, but introduce this issue? It was the perfect fit for those of us that thought HDMI HDR Game mode was a little dark (it is not terrible, but could be brighter) and this supposed fix/trick was the cure. Arghhhh!!!

There is the other trick while in HDMI mode, Game/HDR of changing the Dynamic Contrast to "Low" which engages Active HDR. This gives the picture a little more brightness and makes it a bit more better. I guess the big issue is once you have seen it with standard in PC mode with the low input lag and then changing it back to HDMI Game/HDR mode, even with the D.C. trick it does not look as good imho.

So, in the end what you are seeing is what I am now seeing, PC mode introduces color gradients to images so it basically makes it pointless to even use that mode.

Hmm, well, damn. Because honestly, HDR game mode looks awful on the C7. It's muted and bland. I'd rather play in "normal" non HDR and get beautiful vibrant colors than muted "HDR".

Hawk269

Hmm, well, damn. Because honestly, HDR game mode looks awful on the C7. It's muted and bland. I'd rather play in "normal" non HDR and get beautiful vibrant colors than muted "HDR".

Depending on your tolerance on input lag, give Standard in HDR a shot. I would suggest turning off most picture enhancement modes before trying to game on it. That is what I might try because like the C7 the E7 is pretty much the same. It would not call it bland, but depending on the game it can be. Halo Wars 2 looks bland to me, but Forza Horizon 3 or the new Forza 7 demo look nice in Game Mode with Dynamic Contrast on Low to engage Active HDR. I also kept the color temp in the Warm category, but lowered it to about 20 or so instead of the usual 35.

I am going to go read on what the input lag is in non-game mode picture modes and do some testing to see if I can tolerate the increased input lag. Sad that we have to do this and almost abandon one of the nice features of low input lag in game mode, but with them nuking the HDR and to me HDR is worth it. So we will see. I am ever getting closer to taking it back. My other option would be the A1E 65" or the ZD9 65". But with the Sony AIE input lag in game mode is about 33ms or so. If non-hdr on the LG is close to that, I might as well stick with it since my panel is really good and no banding or other issues.

Yawnny

I haven't followed the OLED news since I've been happy with my B6 purchase. From what I'm reading, is the C7 SDR GAME mode appreciabley worse?

Hawk269

I haven't followed the OLED news since I've been happy with my B6 purchase. From what I'm reading, is the C7 SDR GAME mode appreciabley worse?

From what I am reading it is the HDR Game mode that is the issue. SDR game from 7 owners I have heard is good and some do like the HDR Game Mode. In certain games like Halo Wars 2 it seems a little dim to me, but FH3 is nice and beautiful looking....of course I wish it was a little brighter.

Smokey

OLED55B7A are $1550
OLED55C7P are $1775
OLED55E7P are $2000
XBR-55A1E are $2600

OLED65B7A are $2400
OLED65C7P are $2525
OLED65E7P are $2800
OLED65G7P are $3400
OLED65W7P are $5800
XBR-65A1E are $3400

Where are these prices from? I'm assuming online and at maybe less than reputable sites?

Kambing

Where are these prices from? I'm assuming online and at maybe less than reputable sites?

Bro these are from ClevelandAV. I’ve bought 3 sets from them and can vouch for their reputation. Free shipping and no tax on the listed price. They also always come down on price — bet you couls nab the b7 for $1450. With price protection on credit cards, you can get an OLED for around $1k before clearance season kicks in.

To USA 2017 LG oled owners using HDR and on firmware 3.60.09:

1. Switch input from ‘PC’ to something else, like ‘Game Console’ — ONLY WITH HDR CONTENT, switch back to PC input for sdr content
2. Use the HDR Game mode
3. Change color gamut to extended, color 47, warm 44-45
4. Set dynamic contrast to low

You now have correct color processing. PC input can’t correctly display HDR.

loki0wn

I have an old school Panasonic Plasma (TC p50u50) and considering getting the C7 at $2200. Is this a decent price or should I hold out till next year? Not sure what's on the horizon, but if it still does OLED 4K HDR with low response, I'm happy.

Schlomo

Thank you for checking! It's really a shame. Let's hope they address it in a future firmware update.

To weigh in on the LG 7 series HDR game mode discussion, I personally think it still looks great, and I would never use the other HDR modes for gaming just because they're brighter. I believe rtings recommended Cinema HDR mode for general HDR content, and with equivalent settings that isn't really that much brighter than Game HDR. HDR is best enjoyed in a dark viewing environment anyway with the current limitations of HDR tech.

Interesting thread on Atv 4k. Turns out 24 hz DV is in after all, and it seems there’s a flat panel and review coming soon...

https://twitter.com/flatpanels/status/911841344389287936

Following on from above, Chris from Cleveland AV is very active over on AVS in the various owners threads (like th C7/B7 thread). Feel free to PM him if you want pricing or have questions.

To USA 2017 LG oled owners using HDR and on firmware 3.60.09:

1. Switch input from ‘PC’ to something else, like ‘Game Console’ — ONLY WITH HDR CONTENT, switch back to PC input for sdr content
2. Use the HDR Game mode
3. Change color gamut to extended, color 47, warm 44-45
4. Set dynamic contrast to low

You now have correct color processing. PC input can’t correctly display HDR.

Why do you need to swap back for SDR?

What is the latest update for the B6 that messed up black levels in a dark room? Mine is at 04.31.10 still. Automatic updates disabled. Not a USA TV by the way. I also don't get any prompts so that's good.

That's why he pointed out that it's not that cut and dry. If you read up on the details of the shootout there's plenty of comments about how close these TVs actually were at the shootout despite the sweep and you should also read some individual professional reviews if you think it's that one-sided and they've also pointed out that the shootout isn't the end all be all, it was a limited time setting and also subject to the calibrators of each given set. Some of the pro reviewers there in their personal reviews have rated the Sony higher than the LG. Other ones the other way pretty much liking them the same or liked the LG better and some where they point out the price difference made the choice clearer. So if you reverse the prices then that would seemingly still hold with the opposite sets.

They are also so close that in some ways it also depends what your personal image pet peeves are, the LG gets a little brighter and can potentially be dialed in even closer on the colors due to the full CMS by a calibrator, has different tone mapping that people seem to prefer (though Sony has since also changed Cinema Home to a bit closer to this method of preserving detail over brightness), and has better input lag, but the Sony also has the image pet peeves that it handles better, like motion, color gradients, and certain artifacts and even better processing, particularly of non-4K sources.

End of the day these are both great sets and each do something a bit better than the other.

The shootout is where attendees vote. Teoh's own review on HDTVTest rates the Sony higher than the LG. That's what I've been referencing, alongside a number of similar reviews. Not that it matters either way. Not sure what you're on about with the prices either.

Beaten I see.

Also yeah him bringing up the prices seemed pretty weird since it was he who brought up the hypothetical where the Sony was cheaper so I didn't really understand it either in the context of the post he was answering.

I know you can't truly how HDR on photos or videos but i still gave it a shot and i have to say, the results are pretty decent. The first pic is SDR and is from Gamersyde PC footage and the lower pic is HDR. I tried taking a photo of how SDR on my TV looks but it just made it look overly bright and not representative. Oh also....the HDR pic here has a very blueish tint, but not here, it's just the photo. I love how HDR gives these armors a shiney look to them, how that moon is almost blinding me, and much more similar to the very first Gears 4 footage that was properly dark and i've always found Gears 4 looking too bright for my liking when i played it on my EC9300.

IMO it just shows what HDR really adds to the overall visual experience.

RWJre5d.png

tEdg2aO.jpg

Super annoyed by LG‘s 2016 OLED models apparently not supporting Dolby Vision 4K@60Hz. Doesn’t seem to be a limitation set by the HDMI standard since 2017 models support it.

Didn’t know of this issue until I got my Apple TV4K on friday. Apple TV4K not switching modes (to DV 4K@24Hz mode for applicable sources) automatically also doesn’t help.

Do we have a thread dedicated to this problem? Just found a petition for an update of lg‘s firmware https://www.change.org/p/lg-electronics-2016-oled-can-display-60hz-4k-dolby-vision-mass-effect-andromeda-is-dolby-vision but I wonder if a software update would even be able to solve this...

Top Bottom