• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell GAF about your home town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

DeceitDecide said:
http://lux.com/LA_Skyline_B2.jpg

This is where your favorite movies and TV shows come from!

Is that an island with a bunch of hatches? Then no, it's not where my favorite TV show comes from.

He spoke of tortured souls
So outrageous the toll
You can lose all you have
He refused to give in to the town that takes all
Survive, you must have the will
This movie doesn't end the way we want all the time
Then he shouts at the moon
She's gone, and fear has overcome
He was walking the mile, he was walking alone

Four and twenty deadbirds, they bleed upon the nest
There was no time for reason, they had no sign of a threat
Now it's too late, too late for me
This town will eventually take me
Too late, too late for me
This town will win

Through this fog they come along
Dark creatures singing a terrible song
The rest of the bar laughed at him
Only I felt my hope grow dim
They found him dead the very next day
"No more stories from him," I heard them say
We blamed bad luck for his fate
Only I felt terror so great

She and he will know
that someday all things will end

That misty night
That dismal moon
The dead search for their kin
While angels sing, in endless dark
The dead seek out sin

punkypine

Philadelphia

Philly_skyline.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia

we kill people

but overall, a pretty cool place, i plan on living here (if i stay in the US, which is up in the air) when i finish school. the other US city that i like as much is chicago (although i've only been there a few times).

Bellingham, WA - The City of Subdued Excitement

800px-DowntownBellinghamFromSehomeHill.jpg

We're surrounded by ocean, mountains, and Canada.

800px-Whatcom_Transit_Bus_01.jpg

We have weird buses.

Ben_Gibbard_2.jpg

Our only claim to fame is Death Cab for Cutie and a band called Idiot Pilot. Also, some boring celebrities.

Really, I don't know anything about this place even though I've lived here my whole life. I think it's mainly made up of aging hippies who really like the area.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My old city in LA which was Cudahy...there's really nothing positive to say about it. It's possibly one of the smallest and poorest cities in LA filled with crime, drugs, and any other typical ghetto stuff. The only 'positive' thing I can think of is that by being such a small city, you could have walked anywhere you wanted without the need to drive a car. Disregarding everything I've mentioned though, I really miss it. ;'(

Now I'm in Fontana...and the only thing Fontana is well known for are the winds. It's windy city here!

NYC. in a way, you guys win 'cause you can say something about your towns, what can i say about mine that hasn't been said?
hmmm, well I live in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. has the only other military base in the city, my neighborhood is very diverse with lots of hispanics, Palestinians, Jordanians, Yemenis, Italians, Irish, Russians, etc. our population leans on the older side....

02lowens.span.jpg

the owner of this pharmacy blew his brains out in the store (after hours) when he was caught supplying steroids to cops (we have a large cop population in the neighborhood)

OOOH! saturday night fever was filmed in bay ridge.

vbsnowa1_15_04.jpg

winter time can be a hassle with the snow and the N/R line or as it's called Never Reliable line.

DSCF0303.JPG

weird house near me...

2472956485_5e1b121de9.jpg

the verrazano bridge is blocks away from me.... really nice in the sumemr to just walk and enjoy the pier and the parks..

we have a blog, better than any god damn manhatannnite!!!

http://bayridgebrooklyn.blogspot.com/

we also have a lot tribute bands playing around here for whatever reason.... *shrug*

Blablurn

Yeah, my hometown is called Gummersbach :lol

s1uqmv.jpg
s1n34k.jpg

It's also the hometown of a famous handball-team (although they play most of the time in cologne which is the next big city)

b85jc3.jpg
358beav.jpg

52.467 people live in Gummersbach.

Stadtkoenig.jpg
:lol

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Cosmic Bus said:
I hope someone does Minneapolis. I've become interested in the surrounding area recently, for whatever reason.
I know there's a few folks here from there. I hope they do too. I really, really love it there. Despite growing up in a family that loathes long travel, I can't imagine a whole lot of places that are cooler than Minneapolis. It's a good size, cost of living is relatively affordable, there's tons of cool shit to do and see, there's an unbelievable amount of shows, the people are pretty awesome. I love the shit out of Minneapolis, and I'm glad I'm only like a four hour drive away.

SumGamer

Bangkok[BKK], Thailand[TH]. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok
*Fun Fact: Thai people called it Krung Thep, a short version of its actual name, which is "Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit". I kid you not, if yours longer please let me know.
Great place for shopping. I assure you can find 95% of what you are looking for here, including plastic surgery and gender-exchange operation :D.
* Don't wear yellow or red shirt here.

bangkok%201.jpg

A royal temple locate in Bangkok called Wat Phra Kaew.
* Wat is Thai for Temple.

450px-Chinatown_bangkok.jpg

Yaowarach is china town here. There's always a food stall open here 24/7.

800px-Chatuchak_park.jpg

Chatuchak Park one of the biggest park in Bangkok, good forexercise or taking a break from the fast pace city. Yup, you can shop here too. I'm not sure how many stores open here but it should be over hundreds for sure.
*Tip: If you come for a rest,I suggest go to Suan Rotfye(Train Park in English) much less people, more plants and trees. Plus, you can rent a bike or just stroll around the park, which is nice.

800px-Bangkok_at_Night.jpg

This must be in early morning around 3 or 4 AM, I cant imagine our city with so little cars.

Most of the time it looks more like this.
bangkok_rush_hour.jpg

I don't wanna start on "Where to shop?" topic or I'll not get any work done today. If you want more info consult Wikipedia, Google or PM me.

-Eddman-

Guadalajara, Mexico.

-2nd city in size and importance of all Mexico
-Birthplace of Tequila and Mariachi
-Carlos Santana's Hometown
-Has the most popular soccer team in the country, Chivas

but the coolest of all:
-T. Hawk's stage in Street Fighter takes place here

2cmrl3o.jpg

3345a3o.jpg

xymgo.jpg

aznpxdd

akachan ningen said:
I live in Riverside, CA. It's fuckin ghetto and I will leave as soon as I can.

Truth. Graduated from UCR and my god, I just wanted to get the hell outta there every weekend.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The Hague, home of:

The Peace Palace
vredespaleis.jpg

Dutch Government
tweede-kamer.jpg

Dutch Royal Family
50_plus-1885-10327-1308071635-dhPaleisNoordeinde.011.jpg

The best goddamned beach in the country
schev2.jpg

And the weirdest footballfans in the country (they can go from celebrate to riots in 0.3 seconds)
ado-supporters%20op%20het%20veld%20%5Bgroot%5D.jpg

Grug

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

Population: 1,945,639 (3rd biggest city in Australia)

3736931-Travel_Picture-Brisbane_night.jpg

%7BCFB24E7F-F166-47F0-96A8-1F8139735068%7D.jpg

southbank.jpg

tqld_south-bank_parklands.jpg

Home of the mighty Brisbane Lions.

OlK9DvsYfM.jpg

footy20_gallery__308x400.jpg
footy22_gallery__600x395.jpg

StreakerR222007_1.jpg

rfGALBRIS8.jpg

Jefklak

Herk-de-Stad

(All made by me)
IMG_2171.jpg

Local park/municipal/administrative thing.

IMG_2385.JPG

A lot of local agriculture: fruit trees. (not visible here, hehe) That's pretty much it. Incredible beautiful cycling routes though.

IMG_2145.jpg

More farmers.

Stencil

All right well since I can't sleep for shit, and a couple people mentioned it I guess I could talk a little about MPLS.
skyline_from_the_U_2_alt_op_800x510.jpg

It's great and all but if you're gripped by a case of the Seasonal Affect Disorder, everything that has to do with MN is shit.
I think I would enjoy the nightlife in MPLS more if I weren't 2 years shy of being 21; but the concerts are great.
I've caught Kings of Leon, Secret Machines, The Strokes, Primus, Animal Collective, Hot Chip, Lykke Li, Of Montreal etc... The music scene is fucking awesome.
2497701175_f650a780d4_o.jpg

OH YEAH! Fucking PRINCE is from here.
Prince.jpg

Perple Rain and shit...
But anyways... I technically am from a suburb of MPLS called Edina, which everyone loves to hate (BECAUSE WE ARE SOO RIIICH.)
southdale.jpg

Edina is home of the Southdale, the FIRST indoor shopping mall!! Trust me, that pic (ca. 1956) is WAY cooler than it is now, riddled with skeezy mall-rats and more sales clerks than customers. Someone got shot in the parking lot of Southdale a few weeks ago.
Yea. Edina is lame.

Dead Man

Adelaide, Australia:
The city of churches, about which Salman Rushdie has said it would be a great setting for a Stephen King story, and Stephen King said he had found the real Salem's Lot.
6338613.jpg

adelaide-city-skyline.jpg

Grug

idahoblue said:
Adelaide, Australia:

If anyone is planning to travel around Australia and is pressed for time. Adelaide is the first place to remove from the itinerary.

S. L.

Hannover, Germany
we have an artificial lake that Hitler build himself. It has a pretty good length (6km) for running one or two rounds.
800px-Hannover_maschsee_rathaus_01.jpg

Ducks tend to swim in it.
410435_web.jpg

my birthcity is on the more awesome end of the scale
tokyo_city01.jpg

Basch

Stencil said:
But anyways... I technically am from a suburb of MPLS called Edina, which everyone loves to hate (BECAUSE WE ARE SOO RIIICH.)

Edina is home of the Southdale, the FIRST indoor shopping mall!! Trust me, that pic (ca. 1956) is WAY cooler than it is now, riddled with skeezy mall-rats and more sales clerks than customers. Someone got shot in the parking lot of Southdale a few weeks ago.
Yea. Edina is lame.

Heh, my brother used to live there. I didn't think much of the place. It's a nice place, sure, but I think its not worth getting envious over. Anyways, every time we would go visit him we would rent out rooms in the same complex (couldn't tell you the name; don't remember). We'd go see a movie at the Southdale, which was always packed, at least at the time we went. Lot of people who suck at driving like hanging around that place. Nice AMC theater though. Didn't get to check out much besides that, unfortunately. But, yeah, it's a nice place. Too bad we won't be visiting there anymore. My brother moved in with his girlfriend in Cambridge a year ago. They've had two kids since and are still not married. Cambridge fucking sucks though. I mean, there's a nice little community here and there, but it still sucks. God, I wished they decided to stay in Edina instead. Fuck Cambridge!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I live in a town on Long Island called Smithtown (pop ~110,000), specifically a hamlet called Nesconset. Sleepy upper middle class, mostly white, suburbia. We have our share of chain places, 70's style splanches, a small main street with crappy local bars, and a couple of (in recent times) decent eateries. We're about 30 miles from the Queens border, 45-50 from Manhattan.

Smithtown was first settled around 1665. Local legend has it that Native Americans told Richard Smith that he would be granted title to all the land he could ride across in one day on a bull. The land he acquired in this way is said to approximate the current town's location.

Some famous people born here, or who now live here:

Jodi Picoult, Mick Foley, Craig Biggio, Lori Loughlin, Melissa Joan Hart, Soledad O'Brien

Pics:

800px-Stownmainstreet.jpg

343419461_f36fbe5953.jpg

I consider Chicago my town now (lived here for 15 years)-- but we have regular threads about Chi-town.

This is where I am from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskegon,_Michigan
http://www.muskegon-mi.gov/aboutmuskegon/default.asp
Muskegon_zoom_out.gif

bear_lake_muskegon.jpg

A beautiful stretch of Lake Michigan coastline blighted by an ugly town.

Muskegon_break_water_light.jpg

My favorite Muskegon facts:

Home of a film colony in the silent picture days, and Summer home of Buster Keaton

Has some incredible nature parks.

In the 80's, competed with Flint for highest unemployment in the US, and was 2nd worst place to live in the US according to Forbes Magazine.

Air Hockey was invented here, as was "Snurfing" which was basically snowboarding, and a brief fad in the 80s.

That frozen garlic bread you buy in the supermarket might be made here, at Cole's Bakery.

Birthplace of Iggy Pop.

Harry "Colonel Potter" Morgan and Jim Bakker, notorious televangelist are from here.

Town has (had?) a factory that made tank engines, putting us on Hitler's Top Ten list should he ever be bombing the US (this could be urban legend, too). Also made us a nuclear target (this one I believe).

Town is about 40,000 people, but the area is 120,000.

Despite being something of a hole, it was once a quite prosperous place. Some nice architecture remains downtown:

hackleylibrary.jpg

hackley_house_2.jpg

You know your town is nowhere when you drive an hour to Grand Rapids for fun.

methane47

St. Maarten/Saint Martin
The island I was born, raised and still live.
stmaarten.jpg

a small 37 miles^2 island with 37 beachs.. and is in the top 5 tourist destinations in the Caribbean.
st-maarten.jpg

Its the smallest land mass in the world to be separated by two Countries (Half French, Half Dutch) official population total of about 80k (without illegals and tourists)

It is also the home of the infamous Most dangerous Airport in the world (Princess Juliana Airport) where the runway is just feet away from the beach.
1252724.jpg

St-Maarten.jpg

night.jpg

Also home to (supposedly) the largest outdoor club in the Caribbean BLISS
n59053894738_2022961_3968.jpg

92707484.pOio5pWb.St_Maarten013.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
methane47 said:

Holy crap.

And while I don't even like the beach, I've always wondered if people really can (and do?) just drop their mundane lives to run off to become a bartender or whatever in a place like St. Martin... Seem like it'd be fun, if quite cliche.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
hmmm, well I live in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.

Bay Ridge is pretty sweet. Had a schoolmate and a GF who lived there. Used to jog along the water.

You ever eat at Skinflints? Great, obscene burgers.

dagZ

Syracuse, NY.

syracuse%20University.jpg

3305398518_37229931ab.jpg

Fun Facts:

In a deleted scene from Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Veronica Corningstone mentions that she has a degree from Syracuse University.

Big Daddy (Feature film, 1999) - Several mentions; Adam Sandler's character attended school at Syracuse University and wears various Syracuse sweatshirts and T-shirts.

Famous Syracusans:

Tom Cruise
Dave Mirra

besada

Banned
schick85 said:
Wow, I always thought Dallas was huger.

The difference in size is currently about 50,000 people. San Antonio is growing faster than Dallas.

EDIT: Also, note that five of the ten largest cities in Texas are part of the DFW metroplex. Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Plano, and Garland, for a total combined population larger than either Houston or San Antonio.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
dagZ said:
Syracuse, NY.

A post about Syracuse without mentioning Dinosaur BBQ? Impossible! Every Syracusian, that's like the second thing out of their mouths after I ask them where they're from.

Nickovic

Perth, Western Australia

1592955-Perth_City-Perth.jpg

australia-perth.jpg

ww0wgn.jpg

Perth is ranked 4th on The Economist's 2008 list of the World's Most Livable Cities.

Perth became known worldwide as the "City of Lights" as city residents lit their houselights and streetlights as American astronaut John Glenn passed overhead while orbiting the earth on Friendship 7 in 1962. The city repeated its feat as Glenn passed overhead on the Space Shuttle in 1998.

Wiki Link

HylianTom

Banned
NeonNewOrleans2.jpg

JacksonSquare.jpg

This is a cross-sectional view of the city's elevation, running along north-south lines. The river is on the left (south), the lake is on the right (north).
NewOrleansElevations.png

NewOrleansMap.jpg

StCharlesSnowCar.jpg

DumaineandRoyal.jpg

Tom-Benson.jpg

Bonus to anyone who can name this gentleman without peeking at the file name.
Nash.jpg

Beignets.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans

I can't think about this city for too long without getting emotional. :(
I'm a workaholic right now because as soon as it's financially feasible, I'm going back. It's my #1 mission in life right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom