• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 2 |OT| Keep That Hair Short

PranooY

WTF, didn't Arvo take back the bag after Clem stops Jane from shooting him? Season 1 bag scenario makes sense. This is just stupid.

WTF, didn't Arvo take back the bag after Clem stops Jane from shooting him? Season 1 bag scenario makes sense. This is just stupid.

Arvo is a liar, was stealing those meds from his group. He was stashing them in some random garbage can "for his sick sister". If you didn't steal the meds from him he still acted like someone stole from him, as that would always have been his excuse even if he never met you.

Sibylus

Banned
Just finished it tonight. Thoughts in one giant spoiler block:

- I didn't even realize cutting off Sarita's arm was a choice last ep, went with my gut and took the walker. Was none too pleased with Kenny blaming me for that mess. Fuck you too, buddy.
- Left Sarah behind in the trailer. Not about making people live against their will, particularly when other lives hang in the balance.
- Don't trust either Kenny or Luke, the former is no less reckless and is starting to lose his mind, the former nearly got the entire group killed to get his dick wet. Taking a fence-sitting posture like I did with Lee in season 1.
- Took the pills from Arvo. Dude drew on us. Regret not pushing to have him shot.
- Pushed to leave immediately, knowing that ze Russians knew we were shacked up there. Ran into them anyway.
- Didn't leave with Jane, but I concurred with her that the group is breaking up and that I can make it on my own. Promise to Rebecca was the only thing that kept me there. Regret not just doing it now. Group is beyond broken. It's all but dead.

PranooY

Arvo is a liar, was stealing those meds from his group. He was stashing them in some random garbage can "for his sick sister". If you didn't steal the meds from him he still acted like someone stole from him, as that would always have been his excuse even if he never met you.
Ohh, ok then.
I still hope telltale would go for some Mass Effect like meaningful choices.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Holy shit, what an ending! The next episode is going to be fucking amazing.

Also,
Fuck Sarah. Left her to die after she fell. Had enough of her.

Holy shit, what an ending! The next episode is going to be fucking amazing.

Also,
Fuck Sarah. Left her to die after she fell. Had enough of her.

I left her at the trailer. She was pissing me off since episode 1, and when I was given the choice to leave her, I gladly took it. I wish Carlos didn't die though. He was actually pretty cool, and him being alive would've been the only way I'd risk saving Sarah.

BadHand

Just realized there's no platinum trophy, which is weird since TWD series 1 and TWAU both had a platinum.

Saving it for the retail release (like BttF) I suppose.

rawktapus

I left her at the trailer. She was pissing me off since episode 1, and when I was given the choice to leave her, I gladly took it. I wish Carlos didn't die though. He was actually pretty cool, and him being alive would've been the only way I'd risk saving Sarah.

That actually could have lent itself to some very interesting scenarios.
it also would have helped if they had at least gone into what the deal with Sarah was a little bit more. If they had made it clear she had sort of a developmental disability, that might have made people struggle with those choices more.

Finally started this, just finished episode 1. Incredibly disappointed, in every aspect it feels like a huge step down from season 1. At some points (especially breaking into the house to get medical supplies) I felt like I was actively fighting against the game, like it didn't give me the opportunity for decisions that s1 would have given me. "Don't manipulate my daughter." I tried answering "..." to every damn interaction with her because I specifically did not want to manipulate her and every dialogue choice made it clear that they wanted me to. Argh.

I also blew through Wolf Among Us last week. It had some problems, but it had a hell of a cast of interesting characters, moreso than even TWD S1 (though no single relationship came close to matching Lee/Clem). After one episode of TWD S2 I don't even remotely care about anyone other than Clem. Hopefully that improves.

Edit: Oh shit, is that Michael Madsen? Awesome!

Zakkath

So, I can't import my save from season one. That sucks. My question is, does it even matter at all ? Does season 2 take anything from s1 in consideration ?

bjork

So, I can't import my save from season one. That sucks. My question is, does it even matter at all ? Does season 2 take anything from s1 in consideration ?

There are some minor dialogue options, but nothing that completely impacts how you are or who you'll be with.

Labrys

Sarah was handled sooooooo poorly, I can not even begin. She very clearly had some sort of mental disability, which was never explained other than Carlos spouting some stuff earlier in the season. She could have had anxiety disorder, autism, any number of things. Her death, however, was the kicker. It was either slap someone whos mental state is on the edge of disrepair or leave her. I couldn't bring myself to slap her so I left, assuming she'd get up or Jane would take action, but no. And from what I can tell, she dies later on on the deck if she gets slapped, so what was the point?

I feel like they had the character and just needed to get rid of her. Wasted potential.

Rest of the episode was good, I guess. I gotta stop binging this things in one sitting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sarah was handled sooooooo poorly, I can not even begin. She very clearly had some sort of mental disability, which was never explained other than Carlos spouting some stuff earlier in the season. She could have had anxiety disorder, autism, any number of things. Her death, however, was the kicker. It was either slap someone whos mental state is on the edge of disrepair or leave her. I couldn't bring myself to slap her so I left, assuming she'd get up or Jane would take action, but no. And from what I can tell, she dies later on on the deck if she gets slapped, so what was the point?

I feel like they had the character and just needed to get rid of her. Wasted potential.

Rest of the episode was good, I guess. I gotta stop binging this things in one sitting.
After S1, you know that this is basically their game plan. If a character
can die, then they will not spend any time developing them and they'll be killed off later on in an unsatisfying way

grimmiq

Just got the Season 2 pass from the Ps Store after it being discounted..
Do i need to play 400 days? Or can i skip it?

Only 1 character from 400 days has had a prominent role so far..3 of the others were just there..walking around in the back/foreground or having having a couple of lines of dialog with other NPCs.

My decisions from the first three episodes somehow got erased and I had to have the game generate decisions for me. The biggest one that I remember was that I
cut off Sarita's arm. How does that change this episode? What happens to her? How does it change what Kenny says toward Clementine?

raindoc

My decisions from the first three episodes somehow got erased and I had to have the game generate decisions for me. The biggest one that I remember was that I
cut off Sarita's arm. How does that change this episode? What happens to her? How does it change what Kenny says toward Clementine?

it doesn't matter.

pakkit

Banned
Just like the Season 1 OT, there's a lot of bitterness here about whether or not the choices matter. The choices matter in the sense that they are yours. Telltale's games don't function as well in the open-narrative sense, but as a close-knit story where you can add your own affectations and personal flourishes to the story, it's succeeds. Personally, I think the story is developing really well, even if there isn't an emotional anchor like Lee/Clem. Instead, I'm just developing Clem and trying to make the right decisions in a group that is falling to shit.

Sarah
was destined to die, of course, to add a contemporary example to Jane's hardened cynicism. I liked Jane a lot, however. She obviously has her wits about her and wants to survive without the emotional baggage that a group brings with it.

The setting of season 2, in the heart of Virginia, deserves a lot of props. The historical context of the American Civil war lends the story a legacy. In that conflict too, there was senseless violence, a house divided, and families that were torn apart. Seeing
Kenny
, whose family has been taken from him time and time again, sitting next to a fountain with a fallen soldier is one of those cinematic considerations that shows why Telltale is at the top of videogame narratives. Season 2, more than season 1, feels less "gamey." It's wholly devoted to its narrative, and it's pacing is better as a result.

One more episode to go.

In what world is an 11 year old more mature then adults? It's really weird how in 2 years clem went from naive child to a ruthless killer who is more mature then adults. It's weird that Carver was acting as if Clem were his equal and grooming her to be his successor. It'd make sense if Clem were like 18 or so, but, for the love of god she's an 11 year old girl.

Which is why the ruthless path makes zero sense. An 11 year old girl would never have any say in anything, adults would never treat her like an equal or talk to them like they would adults. I don't care if it's a zombie apocalypse. it's simple biology, she's not mentally of physically mature. I don't think she could truly comprehend anything she was doing.

Still, I hope they do a S3 with Clem older and more mature.

Gavin996

Unconfirmed Member
In what world is an 11 year old more mature then adults? It's really weird how in 2 years clem went from naive child to a ruthless killer who is more mature then adults. It's weird that Carver was acting as if Clem were his equal and grooming her to be his successor. It'd make sense if Clem were like 18 or so, but, for the love of god she's an 11 year old girl.

Which is why the ruthless path makes zero sense. An 11 year old girl would never have any say in anything, adults would never treat her like an equal or talk to them like they would adults. I don't care if it's a zombie apocalypse. it's simple biology, she's not mentally of physically mature. I don't think she could truly comprehend anything she was doing.

Still, I hope they do a S3 with Clem older and more mature.

I don't know if TT can go beyond the comics though, I think they are near where the comics are now.
And although Clem is 11 this is a game so the players needs to be somewhat important.
Although I don't know what choices Clem has actually made, it seems like she just goes along with what the rest of the group does.

Pilgrimzero

I have to agree. When Clem is asked what the group should do or when they need an extra person to go kill some zombies and choose her.. I'm like "SHE'S 11!!"

pakkit

Banned

Clem has revealed herself to be both capable and valuable. If you want real-world examples of kids with guns, just read about Congo's child armies, or about child labor in Indonesia and India. Children are not as brainless as we think them to be, and Clem has grown up and adapted to this violence around her. That's what the excessive brutality of Episode One really meant to hammer home. Telltale seems to have balanced this narrative by showing Sarah to be the sheltered child, and Jane as the lone wolf. They are girls on opposite sides of the spectrum, showing where Clem has come from and where she can go.

halfbeast

Banned
I have to agree. When Clem is asked what the group should do or when they need an extra person to go kill some zombies and choose her.. I'm like "SHE'S 11!!"

pretty much my main problem with season 2. I thought the interaction with jane was much better handled, when she's giving you tips how to kill zombies. the way how everyone relied on clem to get kenny out of his funk was just stupid.

jmizzal

pretty much my main problem with season 2. I thought the interaction with jane was much better handled, when she's giving you tips how to kill zombies. the way how everyone relied on clem to get kenny out of his funk was just stupid.

Well she was the only person who knew Kenny for a very long time, and they figure he would trust her and listen to her even tho she was a kid

halfbeast

Banned
Well she was the only person who knew Kenny for a very long time, and they figure he would trust her and listen to her even tho she was a kid

he was irrational, what if he got violent? especially after how he went berserk on clem at the beginning of Ep 4, you'd think that one of those "adults" would try to protect a little girl. but nope! rebecca's maternity instincts are sure taking their time...

Minion101

Banned
That actually could have lent itself to some very interesting scenarios.
it also would have helped if they had at least gone into what the deal with Sarah was a little bit more. If they had made it clear she had sort of a developmental disability, that might have made people struggle with those choices more.

I saw her as heavily sheltered. Like one of those weird homeschooled kids.

Saw this on Reddit:

lWaMZgf.jpg

A-V-B

Just like the Season 1 OT, there's a lot of bitterness here about whether or not the choices matter. The choices matter in the sense that they are yours. Telltale's games don't function as well in the open-narrative sense, but as a close-knit story where you can add your own affectations and personal flourishes to the story, it's succeeds.

Except in Season 1 it felt like the game at least tried to respond to you most of the time. Season 2, that line is getting extremely blurred, and there are quite a few dialogue choices where I'm sure the answers I get from the other characters are so generic, they could've fit into any of my choices.

And let's face it, the structure of this story isn't anywhere near as solid as Season 1.

Top Bottom