• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's The Walking Dead - Story Discussion (UNMARKED SPOILERS)

Rikkun

Ok, this was good. Really really good, maybe GOTY. I get super emotional with kids, even in Dead Rising 2. The whole story is way better -to me- than the one in the tv series (still have to read the novel). Kids there are just a problem, in the game Clem is the reason. I loved it.

Just bummed she didn't find Omid and Christa. I thought they would've helped me in the hotel..
LLShC.gif

PS:

I was wondering while playing what the kidnapper says if you didn't steal all the shit from his car.

If you don't steal, Kenny and the others will anyway. Lee will state he didn't steal but the kidnapper will find other ways to make you feel guilty

Gary, I'd love for you, Sean and a few other lead devs to do a postmortem spoiler cast if ever possible. The game was so memorable and I'd love to hear about what the thought process was in both the writing and design decisions..

I was wondering while playing what the kidnapper says if you didn't steal all the shit from his car.

He does not give a fuck. He just says "your people stole from me" and just calls you out on all the other shit

edit: Started taking some screenshots in EP3 just because i love the camera work in this game. Figured I'd share.

UXbR2.jpg

3QmYI.jpg

7pr4o.jpg

w5du7.jpg

auIxM.jpg

yP3ww.jpg

95BiJ.jpg

1r2wD.jpg

ZjjKt.jpg

Jintor

Listen, you leave a car full of supplies just sitting around during a zombie apocalypse, and I will take every goddamn thing in it.

The fucking car was running, too, lights on and everything. The man's an idiot. (But he's an idiot with a gun)

Trigger

I actually think it's sorta funny how the game lures you into thinking the car choice was just a minor one off event. I think some of us here complained that the choice didn't have any consequences around the third episode.

dEvAnGeL

I'm a little irritated by the ending scene after the credits, might as well don't show shit, at least I'm in limbo because all you did to save clementine pretty much was meaningless because she's just walking around alone in a world full or walkers or crazy people, great series, I just hope we get at least an extra cutscene or something just to make sure Clem is safe, who was the people at the mountain? Of course! Wait until fucking season 2 to find out! Or not o_O...

Jintor

The camerawork in this game is fucking amazing. I really started noticing it around Episode 3, but everything in Episode 5 was just... god damn.

Zeliard

Can't believe like 70% of you guys cut Lee's arm off, forcing the poor bastard to live his final already-agonizing moments with a stump for an arm. I hope you're proud.

Gary, I'd love for you, Sean and a few other lead devs to do a postmortem spoiler cast if ever possible. The game was so memorable and I'd love to hear about what the thought process was in both the writing and design decisions..
Well I think that's what the Playing Dead series is for. Have you been watching those?

Trigger

I'm a little irritated by the ending scene after the credits, might as well don't show shit, at least I'm in limbo because all you did to save clementine pretty much was meaningless because she's just walking around alone in a world full or walkers or crazy people, great series, I just hope we get at least an extra cutscene or something just to make sure Clem is safe, who was the people at the mountain? Of course! Wait until fucking season 2 to find out! Or not o_O...

lol, there was no mountain just a large hill. I don't think Clem walked all the way to north Georgia.

For those feeling down after the season finale here's something to cheer you up: the voice of Clementine (the great Melissa Hutchison) wearing Clementine's hat!

AHkFL.jpg

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe like 70% of you guys cut Lee's arm off, forcing the poor bastard to live his final already-agonizing moments with a stump for an arm. I hope you're proud.

Aw he didn't even miss it the guys was leaping from buildings, climbing ladders, killing zombies, wrestling with a psycho all with one arm.

Leeness

So if you keep mashing a after the prompt disappears you can choke him to death? Clem saved my ass, which was extremely powerful.

Not sure, but not gonna lie, I did not stop mashing that button until Lee dropped his corpse lol.

Fuck that guy, kidnapped my girl, no way in hell.

Scratch

Fuck, man. Tears were shed at the end. That goodbye was probably one of the most heartbreaking things I ever had to do in a video game.

*sniff*
But I will suck it up and just provide my thoughts on the episode:

I loved it. The parallelism to the first episode was great and the character interaction was also amazing. And of course, right when Ben redeems himself in the eyes of the group, he bites it. And Kenny too. When it prompted Lee to grab the bust I didn't, but my heart leaped in my chest when Kenny grabbed it. But when he threw it away, I knew that deep down the man cared for Lee. Man Kenny could be a bastard at times, but the second he left, I missed him.

And then we come to Omid and Christa. I really like both of their characters and figured they'd be the great successors to take care of Clem after Lee eventually succumbed. Plus I also noticed their like split versions of Lee, with Christa being black and Omid being the history professor. Okay maybe not so much.

Then we come to the stranger. To be honest, once I saw the station wagon outside, I knew that it'd be the owner inside. But I hated how he kept accusing you of things you did, without even knowing the story behind it. There are always two sides to a story, and he's only getting one. Also I guess I had a sort of loop hole with killing the stranger. I don't think Clem thinks he's dead, because she asked Lee whether or not it'd be okay to leave him. But I learned my lesson from the farmer bros back in episode 2; I wasn't going to kill a human (no matter how fucked up he was) in front of Clem again.

And finally we come to the end. The finale. The goodbye. At this point, I pretty much resigned myself to Lee's death and only looked toward's Clementine's future. Talking her through the escape was great and the sequence with the zombie guard had me in a panic. And when all was said and done and I knew she had to shoot Lee. She already saw her parents turned, and my word I can't believe how well she handled that. I didn't want her to have to see Lee turned as well so I knew there could only be one choice. And I know she'll come out stronger because of it. I made sure that she knew how to get to Omid and Christa, because I figured that telling her to go solo wasn't the right thing. She made it this far with the help of everyone, and if she never trusted any strangers, then she would've never met Lee. Plus by now, I think she's figured out the signs of when someone's riding the crazy train. My final words to her, even though it broke my heart, weren't "I'll miss you," even though I wanted to say that more than anything. But I didn't want this to be any harder than it had to be, so I just told her "Don't be afraid."

Telltale games, once again congratulations on making the Game of the Year. Just be ready because we'll have high expectations for the next season!

Question time. Now I'm really curious as to what happened where the major splits happened.

What happens if you remove Lee's arm? Do you really just go through the entire chapter as one-arm-Lee? That's awful.

What happens if you don't surrender your weapons? And is this to Kenny, or is this to crazy-Mc-Strangerpants?

And finally, what happens if Clementine doesn't shoot Lee at the end?

Jintor

I also loved the silence in the hotel room. No music. Nothing. It amplifies the dialogue and Clem sneaking up on the dude so badly. I was so proud of her. So proud of what she was capable of.

Once I got her to handcuff me to the Radiator, I didn't need her to shoot me. If she was smart, and she is, she wouldn't let me harm her. She might need that bullet.

...I started talking in first person as if I was Lee, there. Hrmm.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Not sure, but not gonna lie, I did not stop mashing that button until Lee dropped his corpse lol.

Fuck that guy, kidnapped my girl, no way in hell.

No kidding. I think that's the fastest I've ever mashed a button outside of Track and Field.

Also, Kenny's redemption in my game was fucking awesome. Shed a little tear for him and everything.

Caj814

I gotta bring it up again but just how many of you saved Ben just to expect him to heroically redeem himself? I still can't help but laugh at even thinking that was gonna be possible no matter what you did.

Roto13

I gotta bring it up again but just how many of you saved Ben just to expect him to heroically redeem himself? I still can't help but laugh at even thinking that was gonna be possible no matter what you did.

Standing up for himself to that shitbag Kenny made it worthwhile.

Zeliard

Aw he didn't even miss it the guys was leaping from buildings, climbing ladders, killing zombies, wrestling with a psycho all with one arm.

You cut Lee's arm off if you were knowledgeable about how bites work in the Walking Dead.

Only people that didn't know would leave it.

Excuses, excuses.

I didn't like how the ending stuff was basically built for you to be one-handed, though. Even if you have both arms you still strangle Fuckface with only one hand.

I kept Ben alive specifically because I wanted to see how badly he'd screw up. I left him behind with the boat, and laughed when the group got back to the house and Ben was, of course, locked inside the shed with the boat missing (I assume this happens with whoever you leave behind, but it was still amusing).

Then Ben has this big speech where he rails against Kenny then just goes splat moments later. A hapless fellow indeed.

Okay, this episode affected me emotionally like no other piece of media ever has before. Sorry for the wall of text, but since none of my friends have played the episode yet, I need to spill my guts.

I didn't amputate my arm. I figured that even if I did, I would still die and it would just serve to cripple me. I'm assuming that Lee still dies if you do, but if I'm wrong then I'm going back and playing the entire episode again.

I bawled at Kenny's death. Over the course of the episode, he changed from a cold, bitter man who wanted Ben dead at all costs into a kind, strong friend who sympathized with the poor kid. Although it deeply saddened me, I found the entire ally scene to be a great end to both Ben and Kenny's arcs. Instead of copping out and making Ben redeem himself, he remains a hindrance to the group until the end. I do feel really sorry for him; and I wish he didn't have to go that way. Maybe it's just because I see a bit of myself in him; I don't know. As for Kenny, sacrificing his life in an attempt to save someone that he hated just yesterday was one of the most noble acts I've ever seen. I like to think that he used his final bullet to end Ben's suffering, but I guess you can interpret that however you like. For the record, I refused to leave him and rattled the fence as much as I was able.

tl;dr, Kenny was my favourite character in the series and his final moments moved me.

I told Omid and Christa to look for a boat because it was spur of the moment and I didn't want them going back to the train where all of the zombies were coming from. I hope that they both survived and that was them in the distance in the epilogue, but once again, that's up for interpretation. Even if they didn't, they were good people and I'm glad I didn't have to watch them suffer. They were my second choice to take care of Clem (after Kenny), because I didn't want to saddle them with another kid after Christa gives birth and I thought Kenny would protect Clem as fiercely as he protected Duck.

The mass walker murder spree was one of the most cathartically satisfying things ever. I know it sounds cliché (and it is), but I uttered "For _____" every time I killed a walker, with the name of a dead character filling in the blank. I ended with "For Kenny!" when I cleaved the last one's head in half, and it helped give me closure and some form of fulfillment.

Campman; the stranger. By far my favourite non-tearjerker moment in the episode. The entire conversation with him was incredibly tense, and I think by the end I actually managed to make him feel some sympathy for me. To be quite honest; I felt incredibly sorry for him. I know how it feels to lose loved ones. I know how it feels to have people leave you because of your actions. I know how all of that can affect you, because I've experienced it all firsthand. He only mentioned three bad deeds I'd done; can he list more, or is it determinant of what you actually did? Anyways, no matter how much I felt for him; when it came down to it, I couldn't let him live. Not after all he'd put me and Clementine through. And I made sure he didn't come back to hurt anyone ever again.

When Clem dragged me into the jewelery store and I saw the look in Lee's eyes; the green tint; I knew it was over. I chose to have her handcuff me to the pipe, because I would die before her innocence does. We shared some heartfelt words, I told her not to be afraid, and then it was over. I began to tear up, but the song in the credits pushed me over the edge. My roommate came to check on me, saw what game I was playing, and then just put his hand on my shoulder. It was so cheesy, but comforting. He teased me afterwards, and I don't think I'm living this down anytime soon.

In the epilogue, I just wanted to reach in and give Clem a hug. I felt more than awful, and the realization that I couldn't do anything for her anymore was like a knife in the spine. I can just hope that that was a living Omid and Christa in the distance so that some hope remains for the girl. She'll be in good hands.

So bravo, TellTale Games. Bravo, Mr. Vanaman. Bravo, Mr. Whitta. Bravo, Mr. Darin. You've succeeded in doing what no game has done before, and what no game may do again. So for the memories, the emotions, the anticipation and of course, the game, I thank you. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

See you in Season 2!

Roto13

You cut Lee's arm off if you were knowledgeable about how bites work in the Walking Dead.

Only people that didn't know would leave it.

Or if you know enough about zombie bites in the Walking Dead to know that you can't wait an hour before cutting a limb off and expect not to die. Because that's what happened.

LuuKyK

Tears at the end. Loved it.

Also, why didn't I get the achievement for finishing the 8th chapter of the episode? Am I missing something?

L00P

Just finished it a few minutes ago. I tried to hold it, I really did, but I just can't deny that feel. I let my tears flow like the way it should be.

I knew how it was all going to end, with Lee being fucked and all, but that scene between Lee and Clem near the ending is some powerful stuff, man. This is like the only video game that made me shed tears.

Thanks for this game, Telltale. I'm glad it existed.

Roto13

Tears at the end. Loved it.

Also, why didn't I get the achievement for finishing the 8th chapter of the episode? Am I missing something?

Rewind and do it again?

Does that achievement glitch every time for everyone? I haven't played the Xbox version.

So first a couple of issues I had:

-The whole 'WHO DID YOU TAKE WITH YOU?!" thing emphasized at the end of the last episode didn't really pay off at all as far as I can tell. You eventually get the whole group back together anyway, and no matter how many people you left behind the boat gets stolen (at least as far as I know- I'd like to see what happens to a Lee-only player)

-If Krista doesn't tell you she's pregnant, then in the next scene Lee suddenly knows anyway. I was surprised when he brought it up so casually, because there was no reveal that I had been expecting since 3.

Those aside, it's the best episode yet, which is really saying something considering how good it's been so far.

Kenny is fucking REDEEMED! Either someone at Telltale heard the complaints about Kenny's asshole-ness or this was their plan from the beginning, because they addressed every problem I've had with the way his character works in the context of the game. In the end, he died for me like I would have for him, even if we don't see eye to eye all the time. He had my back.

Is there a reason Clem doesn't meet up with Krista and Omid? I really wanted them to be her protectors, is it implied they died or they did they just not meet up?

SEASON 2:
I really hope they don't choose a "canon" ending, it would completely invalidate the point of the series.

I also don't want to play as Clem or be a different character with an attachment to Clem. She's been the best part of the series so far but she can't be the core after what we already went through. At the same time, I don't think she should just disappear like that. She could be a secondary character who occasionally references things from your save file, or she could appear for one or two episodes.

Is there a reason Clem doesn't meet up with Christa and Omid? I really wanted them to be her protectors, is it implied they died or they did they just not meet up?

There is some disagreement but im on the side of that's krista and omid in the scene after the credits. The dude in front has omid's hunched over gait and the person in back looks like Christa's shape to me. It's my guess that this is the jumping off point for season 2.

I, of course, can be completely wrong.

LiK

i hope Season 2 starts off with a shot of Vernon and his dudes all became walkers on the boat in the middle of no where in the ocean. no need to give me credit Telltale. just do that for me, thanks.

Top Bottom