• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TempleOS, an operating system created by a schizophrenic by God's instruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
141686640013333.gif

TempleOS is somewhat of a legend in the operating system community. Its sole author, Terry A. Davis, has spent the past 12 years attempting to create a new operating from scratch. Terry explains that God has instructed him to construct a temple, a 640×480 covenant of perfection. Unfortunately Terry also suffers from schizophrenia, and has a tendency to appear on various programming forums with a burst of strange, paranoid, and often racist comments. He is frequently banned from most forums.

This combination of TempleOS’s amateurish approach and Terry’s unfortunate outbursts have resulted in TempleOS being often regarded as something to be mocked, ignored, or forgotten. Many people have done some or all of those things, and it’s understandable why.
Above snippet is taken from "A Constructive Look At TempleOS" (A technical look at the OS itself)

He's done this work because God told him to. ​According to the TempleOS charter, it is "God's official temple. Just like Solomon's temple, this is a community focal point where offerings are made and God's oracle is consulted." God also told Davis that 640x480, 16-color graphics "is a covenant like circumcision," making it easier for children to make drawings for God. God demands a perfect temple, and Davis says, "For ten years, I worked on programming TempleOS, full time. I finished, basically, and the last year has been tiny touch-ups here and there."

Above snippet is taken from "God's Lonely Programmer" (A general look at the OS and Davis himself)

Found both a very interesting read. Not sure if it has been shared on GAF before.

Busty

Banned
Internet: What's this?
Terry A Davis: Temple OS. God swears by it.
Internet: I bet he does! I bet he says "What the fuck is this?!"

People with mental illnesses do things that are not logical. There is a homeless guy down the street who says all sorts of crazy things. Should I record what he is saying an put it on the Internet for people to gawk? Some compassion for the mentally ill is needed here.

The guy behind TempleOS came to defend his pos to SA (maybe even yospos) some while ago (when it was still called LoseThos) and it was pretty cray

epmode

People with mental illnesses do things that are not logical. There is a homeless guy down the street who says all sorts of crazy things. Should I record what he is saying an put it on the Internet for people to gawk?

Of course not. But please let us know if he codes an operating system from scratch.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, I see/hear about this OS every so often. Weird guy, weirder OS, but you know, at least he feels fulfilled and isn't doing any actual harm to anyone. Schizophrenia is one hell of an illness when not treated properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom