• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent value slides $15bn in video game backlash

bishopp35

Interesting article on gaming regulation in China from the FT (paywall).

Tencent shed $15.1bn in market value on Tuesday after the Chinese technology group started limiting the time children spend on its number one game.

Honour of Kings is the top-grossing mobile game, generating revenues of about Rmb6bn ($876m) for Tencent in the first quarter of this year, according to estimates by analysts, who say more than 50m people play the game daily.

The time limits follow criticism from authorities and the public that the hit game is too addictive — and have raised fears among investors that the company is in Beijing’s sights.

Two weeks ago a 17-year-old boy in Guangzhou suffered a stroke after playing nonstop for 40 hours. Last week state media reported a 13-year-old boy in Hangzhou had broken his legs jumping from a third-floor window after his parents stopped him from playing.

Under-12s are now limited to an hour of Honour of Kings a day and cannot play after 9pm, according to the post, while those between 12 and 18 are limited to two hours a day.

The company’s shares closed down 4.13 per cent at HK$269.20 in Hong Kong on Tuesday, their biggest fall in 23 months.

ggx2ac

Two weeks ago a 17-year-old boy in Guangzhou suffered a stroke after playing nonstop for 40 hours.

Well yeah, MOBAs can be addicting but I didn't think it would be that bad.

Last week state media reported a 13-year-old boy in Hangzhou had broken his legs jumping from a third-floor window after his parents stopped him from playing.

...Or this extreme.

Compsiox

Banned
Holy shit. Good for them taking such drastic measures at such a big loss. It definitely seems like this was needed.

MrCarter

This is ridiculous. Many games were addictive when I was a child but I was disciplined enough not to go and break my legs.

joe_zazen

Out of curiousity, can parents set limits through parental settings on x1, ps4, or Switch; off after 9pm and only one hour per day kind of thing?

Oersted

Is Honor of Kings that good?

Causing severe addiction is the kind of "good" you shouldn't aim for.

This is ridiculous. Many games were addictive when I was a child but I was disciplined enough not to go and break my legs.

Lets say you are 18, so you grew up on PS360Wii and DSPSP. Those plattforms lacked always online money sinks.

Eternal reminder that gaming still carries a stigma in a lot of corners of the world.

What

What's the point of it then?

The point is making 876 million dollars within one quarter

Maxinas

I've seen plenty of those liveleak videos of Chinese internet cafes. They take their gaming far too seriously.

mieumieu

How'd you get that from this?

I followed the news about this recently and it is basically a symptom of Chinese govt exerting even more control on gaming and culture. Trust me you dont want this. This is after all a country where games like Horizon Zero Dawn is still in censor limbo after a few months.

DiscoJer

Back then games weren't designed to be deliberately addicting though. The whole F2P industry (particularly mobile gaming) is about constantly designing a new and better skinner box.

This. It's always the companies fault, never the consumers.

The reality is that people are not always in control of their actions and F2P game designers try to take advantage of this, just like gambling machine designers or drug dealers. Games are being designed to manipulate someone's brain chemistry, particularly those prone to addiction.

MisterHero

Good. They need to figure out how to make more satisfying games for less time and money, and don't figuratively introduce gambling to children.

killatopak

People are stupid and no matter what restrictions you put on them they'll still do stupid things.
Good. They need to figure out how to make more satisfying games for less time and money, and don't figuratively introduce gambling to children.

You don't know what you're talking about. This is a MOBA not a Gacha game.

mieumieu

It is not possible in todays Chinese gaming climate. We will pay for 20 yuan for pirated discs instead of 48 yuan for a legit copy. Piracy is the reason Chinese single player games industry collapsed and then we semi-invented F2P.

Kieli

I can't concentrate on anything for more than a couple hours, and even in those cases it's because I have a deadline and I procrastinated and am channeling the adrenaline to finish the task at hand.

firelogic

Holy shit. Good for them taking such drastic measures at such a big loss. It definitely seems like this was needed.

A kid stupid enough to play a game for 40hrs straight or a kid stupid enough to jump out of a window because he couldn't play would have killed themselves in some other way.

KLonso

The reality is that people are not always in control of their actions and F2P game designers try to take advantage of this, just like gambling machine designers or drug dealers. Games are being designed to manipulate someone's brain chemistry, particularly those prone to addiction.

They damn well should be. Games don't hijack the minds of these kids. They don't cause physical dependency.

If anyone's to blame, I would point to the parents for not teaching their kids how to live a balanced and healthy life.

Holy shit at some of the responses in here.
I guess some don't have a fucking clue what REAL addiction is. Especially in a young person who doesn't even have full control over himself yet.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Back then games weren't designed to be deliberately addicting though. The whole F2P industry (particularly mobile gaming) is about constantly designing a new and better Skinner box.
It's not so different from the coin-op era. Though I can appreciate that the methods of designing addictive games have gotten more sophisticated.

Steiner

Banned
The game is called Strike of Kings over here, right? Does anyone here actually play this / enjoy this / binge this?

For us this is beyond a simple "video game limitation", for many it reads into the Chinese government's current social control issues, recent social media unrest, and cultural policy changes. The government simply wants to have control on anything that has widespread cultural impact, if a business juggernaut like Tencent becomes a target, it is pretty much from higher ups.

mcrommert

Banned
Serious question...has anyone ever heard of a story like these (stroke after 40 hours of playing...jumping from third floor because games taken away) for any country but China? I think perhaps i have heard of one from Korea...but otherwise every single story is from China. Perhaps it has happened but i haven't heard it.

udivision

Serious question...has anyone ever heard of a story like these (stroke after 40 hours of playing...jumping from third floor because games taken away) for any country but China? I think perhaps i have heard of one from Korea...but otherwise every single story is from China. Perhaps it has happened but i haven't heard it.
I would say they have the lionshare of these types of stories but I dont have any hard numbers.

I have always wondered if my race is genetically more susceptible to gambling and gaming addictions.
Id guess that cultural differences and other factors play a large role but in a way where its not obvious what the result of factors x y and z would be by themselves.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
People are stupid and no matter what restrictions you put on them they'll still do stupid things.

You don't know what you're talking about. This is a MOBA not a Gacha game.
Is that how awful things have become? Random reward loot crates and the like are still gambling and always have been. Your litteraly saying it'snot the worse from of gambling this not gambling!

It'a fyckedup how perverse it has gotten.

Top Bottom