• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terra Formars, manga about human looking cockroaches, is getting a live-action movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/02/08/terra-formars-live-action-movie-in-the-works-takashi-miike-to-direct/
Our friends over at Anime News Network recently previewed a cover of next week’s Young Jump magazine, which will announce the plans for a live-action film based on the hit sci-fi manga Terra Formars.

Although details are scant at the moment the one juicy tidbit is that Takashi Miike, arguably the most prolific director to walk the earth, has signed on.

The Terra Formars manga began in 2011 and follows the aftermath of an attempt by Earth to colonize Mars by sending up algae spreading cockroaches to produce a livable environment for humans. However, the cockroaches end up evolving into killer humanoid creatures which kind of put a cramp on us living there.

After getting wiped out the first time, Earthlings begin to send out teams of fighters enhanced with insect-like powers to exterminate the cockroaches and reclaim Mars for themselves. Much like real-life encounters with cockroaches the battles tend to be violent and messy affairs.
Considering the cockroaches look like this:
bOvS8Zp.jpg
TgSsnyD.jpg
fZzptmK.jpg
UK9iM2K.jpg
C6zlx.jpg
WL5SozA.jpg
How unintentionally racist do you think the movie will be?

This won't end well. Put some ganguro girls as the cockroaches and avoid the conflict.

And yes, I've watched the botched anime.

I bet that author is pretty damn happy with all the attention this is getting. Just a little over 100 chapters and already an anime plus potentially a movie. It deserves it though, it's fucking insanely epic so far.

Branduil

This is the kind of story Terraformars is:

Terra Formars OVA

Once upon a time, mankind had a dream. A dream of conquering a dark and inhospitable country, and making it more like our own. But despite all our efforts, one thing stood in our way; repellent giant savages, more like vermin than true man, simply would not stand by and let their betters conquer their pathetic homeland for some unfathomable reason. So you see, we really had no choice but to try and kill them all. It was the moral thing to do; you might even call it the final solution.

#ANIME

zeromcd73

I bet that author is pretty damn happy with all the attention this is getting. Just a little over 100 chapters and already an anime plus potentially a movie. It deserves it though, it's fucking insanely epic so far.
Twelfth best selling manga of 2014 selling over four million copies. The author and artist are definitely very happy :)

People who are not familiar with the manga seeing those roaches design for the first time will definitely make them question the design choice.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Takashi Miike being involved instantly makes me interested, but that looks racist as fuck. Hopefully he's given the liberty to move away from the original art style.

Twelfth best selling manga of 2014 selling over four million copies. The author and artist are definitely very happy :)

Wow, those are some impressive numbers, hope they keep growing nicely. I didn't know it had a writer and an artist, I guess it's a bit of a Hokuto no Ken deal they got going on there then.

Also, with the racist stuff....you guys serious? It's supposed to be a cross between roach and caveman, the thought never once crossed my mind that they resembled black people. Especially with there ACTUALLY being black people in it that look pretty cool.

Wow, those are some impressive numbers, hope they keep growing nicely. I didn't know it had a writer and an artist, I guess it's a bit of a Hokuto no Ken deal they got going on there then.

Also, with the racist stuff....you guys serious? It's supposed to be a cross between roach and caveman, the thought never once crossed my mind that they resembled black people. Especially with there ACTUALLY being black people in it that look pretty cool.

I know, but good luck telling that to people who don't know a thing about the manga lol.

latest

Big One

Banned
Even though their skin are black, the cockroaches in Terraformers are far from racist. The face doesn't even look like a black person's face for one, it looks like a caveman's face aka the neanderthal archetype.

There's black people in the actual manga that look like normal people like everyone else in the manga.

Toxi

Banned
I never realized a story about humanoid cockroaches could be so unappealing.
They don't look much like cockroaches at all.

I really dont get why. Between Attack on Titan and this it seems Japan likes Gory manga? There are so many good manga to adapt but they choose this?

I remember they adapted MW by Tezuka a few years ago. That was butchered and almost a totally different story.

This is a new variation on the 'some of my best friends are black!' defense of overt racism.

fertygo

They have black people that work as intelligent in comic too, that's actually anomaly in swarm of "unintentional-racist" thing that exist lol

btw the manga is like Attack on Titan merged with DBZ, no doubt its popular.

They have black people that work as intelligent in comic too, that's actually anomaly in swarm of "unintentional-racist" thing that exist lol

btw the manga is like Attack on Titan merged with DBZ, no doubt its popular.

I'm going to need pictures of these black characters as proof.

Desi

With the other german character called Eva

Honestly even if we divorce the depiction of the roaches, this will still pretty much be Manifest Destiny: The Manga.

I only watched the anime and it led me to believe that humans threw roaches and mushrooms on the planet to test it out. So the Roaches weren't even natives but placed their purposely.

and are just a test ground for each countries new human/animal hybrid weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom