• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla cracks $1000/share

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If its only a few hundred bucks why cash out?

I feel like it can't go much higher and there's a lot of uncertainty with the upcoming election. Like I said, I may end up regretting it, and people have said it can't go higher countless times already.

Tesla isn’t just automotive though. Solar is doing decent and you have to remember, they own all the infrastructure. The charging stations etc. It’s much more of a tech company than an automotive company.

Yeah, I'm excited for their expansion into other non-automobile sectors, but they definitely need to get something that is more mass-market oriented. A $25k Tesla with long range would do it. Affordable and easily installable solar panels would help, too.

In regards to the charging stations, that's a good point, but at the same time it seems like a bit of a commodity. I see tons of ChargePoint and other company's chargers here in the Seattle area, for example. Maybe the Superchargers are actually important to Tesla owners and I'm just not understanding their value.

Last edited by a moderator:

n0razi

Yeah, I'm excited for their expansion into other non-automobile sectors, but they definitely need to get something that is more mass-market oriented. A $25k Tesla with long range would do it. Affordable and easily installable solar panels would help, too.

Didnt Elon already say they were releasing a 25k model in the near future? TSLA stock usually already has future gains priced into the stock price since many of its investors are rabid about any Telsa related news. By the time (if) a 25k model actually releases, it would be too late as the stock price would have already increased to account for it. Its a speculative investment and such should be treated as one and not a conservative investment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Didnt Elon already say they were releasing a 25k model in the near future? TSLA stock usually already has future gains priced into the stock price since many of its investors are rabid about any Telsa related news. By the time (if) a 25k model actually releases, it would be too late as the stock price would have already increased to account for it. Its a speculative investment and such should be treated as one and not a conservative investment.

Even with all that, though, I just don't see how it lives up to its current price.

It's got a P/E ratio of 1130.21. A stock value that is 1,130x earnings, meaning it would take them 1,130 years to achieve their current valuation if revenues remained flat...

They could double revenue at the current stock price, bringing down the P/E ratio to 565, double it again to bring it down to 282, and yet again to bring it down to 141, which is just starting to get into reasonable territory, but they certainly aren't on such a miraculous growth trajectory at the moment.
  • Tesla annual revenue for 2019 was $24.578B, a 14.52% increase from 2018.
  • Tesla annual revenue for 2018 was $21.461B, a 82.51% increase from 2017.
  • Tesla annual revenue for 2017 was $11.759B, a 67.98% increase from 2016.
And maybe I just lack imagination, but I don't see them pulling off exponential growth even with more of a mass market-oriented Tesla, since other makers will likely have similarly priced and capable EVs (even if not quite as good) on the market by then.

I'm no market expert (who is?) and hopefully I'm wrong for the sake of all current stockholders.

supernova8

Banned
Tesla up 10.2% today, can't complain. Was it the vaccine news and overall market conditions bump or something announced/reported I missed?

Tesla has been scheduled to finally go into the S&P 500. I think vaccine news would generally lower Tesla's stock in largely the same fashion as other safe haven tech stocks.

supernova8

Banned
Even with all that, though, I just don't see how it lives up to its current price.

It's got a P/E ratio of 1130.21. A stock value that is 1,130x earnings, meaning it would take them 1,130 years to achieve their current valuation if revenues remained flat...

They could double revenue at the current stock price, bringing down the P/E ratio to 565, double it again to bring it down to 282, and yet again to bring it down to 141, which is just starting to get into reasonable territory, but they certainly aren't on such a miraculous growth trajectory at the moment.
And maybe I just lack imagination, but I don't see them pulling off exponential growth even with more of a mass market-oriented Tesla, since other makers will likely have similarly priced and capable EVs (even if not quite as good) on the market by then.

I'm no market expert (who is?) and hopefully I'm wrong for the sake of all current stockholders.

(disclaimer: I have a big Tesla holding)

Personally I see Tesla as a tech company that started off with cars. I think really it's an investment in Elon Musk more than anything else. My worry is that we rarely hear much from people other than Musk and if Musk were to leave or (hope not) pass away unexpectedly, who is going to run the business and be the idea man?

If you subscribe to the idea that autonomous cars are the future, and electric cars are the future, Tesla is a good bet since they are the leaders in autonomous driving and they are also building energy infrastructure.

AMZN exceeded a P/E ratio of 1000 at least 3 times in the past 20 years or so.

No one is complaining about the returns they have gotten on Amazon in the past 2 decades.

If you are a value investor, then stick to value investing. There is nothing wrong with that. But attempting to apply value investing principles to growth investing will always result in missing out on the next Amazon. P/E ratio has long been understood to be a trailing indicator which is only useful in stable markets when applied to stable companies, which is the heart of value investing. It has little to do with with growth investing.

Last edited:
Imagine selling shares of TSLA instead of just holding them 10 years and then retiring early.

If you don't need the money, hold onto every share of TSLA you got with both hands. You'll need the money you make for that ticket to the Mars colony anyways.

Imagine selling shares of TSLA instead of just holding them 10 years and then retiring early.

If you don't need the money, hold onto every share of TSLA you got with both hands. You'll need the money you make for that ticket to the Mars colony anyways.

I’ve sold shares twice. One time I sold 4 before the split and sold 15 after the split. I don’t speak of the 12 I sold at $220 a couple years ago lol. Anyway, 10% of my paycheck goes towards stock and then I get RSUs every few months. I have quite a lot at this point. Somewhere in the realm of 500+.

I’m happy with what I have and I don’t really regret selling the ones I sold except for the 12. It is what it is. I really just want it to pay for my daughters college and potentially leave her a nice little nest egg. Maybe if it balloons beyond that I’ll get my wife and I a beach house or a cabin as well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
enUs33t.jpg

Mind if I ask when the bulk of your investment was? Like founding days or last year etc? Just curious how big your win was (so far). Congrats too mate, that's awesome.

I started investing three years ago when I started with the company. Prior split my lowest shares were around $190 I believe and post split I have a lot of shares around $45-$50 a share. I’ve sold around 20-25 shares that entire time. I don’t really need the money at the moment so it’s allowed me to save the majority of it. I have a buddy who’s been with the company for almost 6 years and has been doing 15% of his check the entire time. He’s close to the million dollar range but you’d be shocked to know a lot of the employees that I know who’ve been there longer than me cashed out when the shares were around $500 pre-split.

I’ve taken one big hit on shares that I sold pre-split and basically led to me keeping 95% of what I have. We had been sitting around the $220 range for a year and I just didn’t think anything was going to happen so I sold 12 shares just for the hell of it. It’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever done. The 12 shares I sold got me around $2400 and now would be worth around $31K. Other than that, I’ve been very responsible with it. I happened to purchase some NIO shares as well around $17 a share and they recently hit $50. EV shares have been a good investment for me so far.

I started investing three years ago when I started with the company. Prior split my lowest shares were around $190 I believe and post split I have a lot of shares around $45-$50 a share. I’ve sold around 20-25 shares that entire time. I don’t really need the money at the moment so it’s allowed me to save the majority of it. I have a buddy who’s been with the company for almost 6 years and has been doing 15% of his check the entire time. He’s close to the million dollar range but you’d be shocked to know a lot of the employees that I know who’ve been there longer than me cashed out when the shares were around $500 pre-split.

I’ve taken one big hit on shares that I sold pre-split and basically led to me keeping 95% of what I have. We had been sitting around the $220 range for a year and I just didn’t think anything was going to happen so I sold 12 shares just for the hell of it. It’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever done. The 12 shares I sold got me around $2400 and now would be worth around $31K. Other than that, I’ve been very responsible with it. I happened to purchase some NIO shares as well around $17 a share and they recently hit $50. EV shares have been a good investment for me so far.

Brilliant stuff, don't sweat the small sales you've made so far. All looks good to me from afar.

How is working at Tesla (without the media hype/fail pictures being painted all the time).

Brilliant stuff, don't sweat the small sales you've made so far. All looks good to me from afar.

How is working at Tesla (without the media hype/fail pictures being painted all the time).

Personally I love it. It’s had its trials and tribulations but as you grow in your position there’s a lot of rewarding experiences. I hate reading the occasional negative article because that hasn’t been my experience at all.

Amory

I don't understand the stock market, and the pandemic has provided a timely lesson that I should just be in index funds whether I'm looking for medium or long term investing. TSLA makes no sense to me. Any stock trading at over 1000x earnings makes no sense to me. And then they beat their earnings estimates, and the stock soars to even higher multiples than it was at the day before. At some point you'd expect the ratio to start to move downward because it can't trade at that valuation forever. Is there any rationality to this? Is it just memes and FOMO money piling in?

I'll fully admit to being very jealous of the people who got on the Tesla train because it was the thing to do and made a shit ton of money. I don't think it makes any sense, but like I said above, I don't fucking know anything.

partime

I don't understand the stock market, and the pandemic has provided a timely lesson that I should just be in index funds whether I'm looking for medium or long term investing. TSLA makes no sense to me. Any stock trading at over 1000x earnings makes no sense to me. And then they beat their earnings estimates, and the stock soars to even higher multiples than it was at the day before. At some point you'd expect the ratio to start to move downward because it can't trade at that valuation forever. Is there any rationality to this? Is it just memes and FOMO money piling in?

I'll fully admit to being very jealous of the people who got on the Tesla train because it was the thing to do and made a shit ton of money. I don't think it makes any sense, but like I said above, I don't fucking know anything.

I basically don't know anything either, but I'm definitely making a lot of cents.

partime

Sold my Tesla stock today. Seems like every time it has a huge day it’s followed by a large drop. Going to wait to buy back in when it goes back down. Thanks Elon!!!

That's just plain gambling. When it goes down, then how low will you go? Why would you buy a stock thats down trending?

It's cool that you've secured your cash though, but don't look back.

TrainedRage

Banned
That's just plain gambling. When it goes down, then how low will you go? Why would you buy a stock thats down trending?

It's cool that you've secured your cash though, but don't look back.
Because of trends. Go look back at the past 9 months. Every single time they have these huge gains it’s followed by like 2 weeks of sell off drops. I will buy back in when it goes back under 500. If it never does so be it. At least I made like 200$

This is typically how I make bigger gains in the market. I don’t touch my ETF’s but I’m not going to sit on stock that moves this much in one day.

Weiji

Banned

All stocks trade on FUTURE earnings. So it’s not super relevant what their earnings were in a single quarter except in the sense of what that can tell you about the future.

Tesla’s market cap higher then GM Ford and Toyota COMBINED. Which tells us that stock investors expect Tesla to be larger then those three companies combined at some point in the future.

Now you may laugh at that, and at these valuations I don’t blame you...

But what happens when Tesla’s battery factory and expertise allow them to sell EV cars at a 20% discount to models from Toyota?

What happens when California bans none EVs?

What happens if self driving actually works?

I would argue that self driving tech is worth more then the entire market cap of Apple, easily. What percentage of that market will Tesla own?

No one can see the future, maybe Tesla will fail at self driving, maybe Toyota, Ford and GM will make great and cheap EVs.

But the expected future is why Tesla trades for what it does, and it’s the shakiness of that future that causes the immense volatility.

Amory

All stocks trade on FUTURE earnings. So it’s not super relevant what their earnings were in a single quarter except in the sense of what that can tell you about the future.

Tesla’s market cap higher then GM Ford and Toyota COMBINED. Which tells us that stock investors expect Tesla to be larger then those three companies combined at some point in the future.

Now you may laugh at that, and at these valuations I don’t blame you...

But what happens when Tesla’s battery factory and expertise allow them to sell EV cars at a 20% discount to models from Toyota?

What happens when California bans none EVs?

What happens if self driving actually works?

I would argue that self driving tech is worth more then the entire market cap of Apple, easily. What percentage of that market will Tesla own?

No one can see the future, maybe Tesla will fail at self driving, maybe Toyota, Ford and GM will make great and cheap EVs.

But the expected future is why Tesla trades for what it does, and it’s the shakiness of that future that causes the immense volatility.
Yes I know that stocks are traded based on future earnings. That's why I mentioned that they're traded at 1000-plus times earnings. And actually as of today it's more like 1100x earnings.

Now, you're comparing tesla to automotive companies. What I know about Tesla is that they're not being traded as an automotive stock. It's being traded as a tech stock, which is far more appropriate. Battery tech is applicable well beyond cars.

But Tesla currently earns 27 cents per share. Now I get that these are far more mature companies, but Apple earns 74 cents per share at a 35x p/e ratio. Google earns $16 per share at a 34x p/e ratio. Amazon earns $12/share at a 91x p/e ratio.

For tesla to trade even at an inflated 100x ratio like amazon, it would have to earn $13.3 billion per quarter, net earnings. As a reference point, amazon (who is well into the process of taking over the world) made about half of that in net earnings in Q3. So Tesla is trading, today, as if it's making twice as much profit as amazon. And the multiple keeps going up.

so I guess people are planning on tesla batteries powering the entire world soon? Which, hey, maybe they will. But there's gonna be heavy competition eventually.

If my math is wrong, someone let me know. It very well could be.

TrainedRage

Banned
Yes I know that stocks are traded based on future earnings. That's why I mentioned that they're traded at 1000-plus times earnings. And actually as of today it's more like 1100x earnings.

Now, you're comparing tesla to automotive companies. What I know about Tesla is that they're not being traded as an automotive stock. It's being traded as a tech stock, which is far more appropriate. Battery tech is applicable well beyond cars.

But Tesla currently earns 27 cents per share. Now I get that these are far more mature companies, but Apple earns 74 cents per share at a 35x p/e ratio. Google earns $16 per share at a 34x p/e ratio. Amazon earns $12/share at a 91x p/e ratio.

For tesla to trade even at an inflated 100x ratio like amazon, it would have to earn $13.3 billion per quarter, net earnings. As a reference point, amazon (who is well into the process of taking over the world) made about half of that in net earnings in Q3. So Tesla is trading, today, as if it's making twice as much profit as amazon. And the multiple keeps going up.

so I guess people are planning on tesla batteries powering the entire world soon? Which, hey, maybe they will. But there's gonna be heavy competition eventually.

The way I see it is Tesla is years ahead in a game where being first matters. They have the infrastructure set up and producing. GM, Ford, Toyota etc will be playing catch up for years. Just my opinion, also Tesla doing more than just cars is very important to the brand.

Weiji

Banned

Personally I don’t think it’s the batteries, those are never going to be high margin due to competition IMO.

I think it’s the self driving aspect, which is high margin because its software, and which has a massive first mover advantage.

You can’t underestimate the value of self driving software that works. That’s a world changing technology, and one that every other company on earth will pay a fortune to license.

I really think that tech alone, if it works, would drive a revenue stream that makes Apple look like a baby.

I believe that’s what’s driving the insane valuation we currently see, and I would guess it represents 50% of the current market cap.

Just my 2 cents as someone who has owned Tesla since pre split ~$100. I bought it for EV cars, I am keeping much of it for the self driving play.

Because of trends. Go look back at the past 9 months. Every single time they have these huge gains it’s followed by like 2 weeks of sell off drops. I will buy back in when it goes back under 500. If it never does so be it. At least I made like 200$

This is typically how I make bigger gains in the market. I don’t touch my ETF’s but I’m not going to sit on stock that moves this much in one day.
It’s up 15,000% since IPO, and 1,000% this year. In the past 9 months it’s been up 400%. But sure you do that bro, you could have had millions but you’re going to take $200 and run. I mean you’re completely ignoring the fact that the recent rise has been triggered by a technical event (S&P 500 index inclusion) and that is likely to keep driving the stock price upwards in the short term because everyone knows that at least 12% of the actively traded float is about to exit circulation soon as it will become permanently a part of the many index funds which track the S&P 500.

I’ve held TSLA since 2016 and rode the ups and downs from 2016-2019, had I sold at anytime during the long wait when it was stuck in a channel between $200-300 pre-split I would not be posting this today. Stonks will always go up and down in the short term, but trying to time every buy and sell is pointless when you could just sit there and watch Elon Musk make you fucking rich.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yep. I wouldn’t try to swing trade Tesla. It’s highly volatile, sure, but it’s also had a series of massive runs, and has room for more. You’ll miss out on the huge gains if you try to time it. Buy and hold long-term has been the winning play.

TrainedRage

Banned
Yep. I wouldn’t try to swing trade Tesla. It’s highly volatile, sure, but it’s also had a series of massive runs, and has room for more. You’ll miss out on the huge gains if you try to time it. Buy and hold long-term has been the winning play.
I plan to buy back in. At worse I will sell my Apple stock and get back in with more. Just saw an opportunity and took it. Gonna let it ride about two more weeks if I cant find a point to jump back in I will bite the bullet and call it a lesson learned.

Yep. Since my last post I went from $250,000 to $276,000.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Wish I had jumped on Tesla @408, friend was mentioning that it was a good entry. Missed that boat, hell missed the huge run from March, had moved money to all in on Tesla (woulda had 420 shares post split lol). Damn funds were usable on March 24th or so on my RH account, completely regret not just dumping everything on it then. Was hoping pre-split price to drop under 400 again but never happened..

Currently have big positions in NIO and RMG, NIO is like a second chance @tsla, I expect them to be doing fantastic in the upcoming years.

Electret

To the moon, motherfuckers. This is why I've held and not folded.

P.S.: look into ARKG, folks. Could be The Next Big Thing.

P.S.: look into ARKG, folks. Could be The Next Big Thing.
Tripled in the last 9 months, impressive for an ETF. Thanks, interesting it's from ARK investment as that will surely garner interest at large.

I had a client gift me $1K of ASX > TTB (Total Brain), they're nothing flash at the moment but an emerging tech that just finished a 2 year brain app/mining trial with Cisco employees and won a 5 year contract. A long burn from my client's mouth as he knows the founder but I'll just let that gift sit there and see what comes in the next years on this one. They're also enabling doctors and hospitals to analyse and execute mental health prescriptions correctly and with repeatable measurements in place. Apparently the founder of Walmart is going to be on the board this year as they scale up.

ManofOne

Plus Member
The valuation on Tesla should not be based on its ability to sell cars alone. The company is using a variety of tech packaged into a single autonomous system that has the capacity for future growth which includes revenue lines from possible subscription growth (BaaS) or entertainment.

Tesla is uniquely position compared to most other auto manufacturers b/c people still see it as a car company. Problem is that it isn't

I trimmed my position slightly bc of portfolio risk but holding.

Top Bottom