• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Test Drive: Ferrari Announced

SMS = will not buy from me. Shift 2 was terrible. I really wanted to like it too.

I loved Shift 2, and played it for 200+ hours this year: Head-cam view, GT1/3 licenses, great tracks (Spa, Bathurst, Dubai, etc.), night races, great visuals on PC, customizable quick-race mode (still missing in Forza!). Yes, I used some mods (more levels, more money per race, race-livery for all AI cars), but nothing too drastic.

Jamesways

I really enjoyed Shift 2 as well. I liked the helmet cam and was very thrilled with the FIA GT1 and GT3 license. And yeah, the track list is great.

However, the one thing I wish they would have kept from one is the visual style. I think that one looked better, cleaner if you will. It has a lot less jaggies and the cockpits looked better IMO. I think parts of Shift 2 look a bit muddy (on console at least).
I guess I just prefer the lighting overall in 1.

Both games had some wonkiness going on with the physics, but with enough settings tweaking and tuning, you can get them to feel a lot better. It's a total guilty pleasure of mine since I know so many people hate the series, but I still really like playing Shift 1. The Ferraris especially.

I can't wait for this new game!

Miletius

Count me as one of the (few) people who really enjoyed TDU2. Just loved the open world aspect of it. I know this probably isn't like that but I'll still keep my eye out on it.

It's coming out for 360 as well? And by Slightly Mad?

That's interesting considering the licensing issues and how someone from Slightly Mad recently complained about them. They didn't even allow for TDU to have the Italia.

NinjaBoiX

I played about two hours of TDU2, I thought it was awful. Shift 2 was OK, so maybe Slightly Mad can pull something out of the bag.

Varth

Refresh my memory what the main problems were? Seem to recall the game had launch bugs and a broken economy?

True, but the worst offender was the iredeemably bad physics model for cars. Cardboard boxes on wheels with no feeling of speed and floaty, incoherent handling. And I'm not lamenting lack of an accurate simulation, but the lack of coherence and of an actual "taste" for the driving.

gtmax

I just want to get feel for what driving a Ferrari is like. PC devs tend to not do well on consoles (30fps). Probably spoiled by pc power. Give me a sim and make it ith a wheel in mind.

Details

- Experience a variety of race types including GT, and Formula 1
- Race in online competitions with up to 8 players
- Drive your way through 36 circuits including GP Circuits, Test Circuits, and Bonus Circuits
- Re-live the greatest modern and classic Ferrari models with 52 stunningly detailed cars
- Challenge highly intelligent, realistic, and difficult AI opponents to push you to the next level

Tracks

-Fiorano
-Imola
-Monaco
-Monza
-Nurburgring
-Silverstone
-Spa Francorchamps
-Watkins Glen

This game will have an amazing track line up. When do we get the full blowout, BADNED?

How soon is soon?

And what's this Evolved/DATA Content catalogue?

NsLqj.jpg

Meh. TDU was a unique game. They fucked up the 2nd one but it still was a good idea.

I really hope Forza World turns out to be good because theres a good chance we'll never see a TDU3 in any form. (I'm assuming Forza World is an open world racer for next gen systems based on some rumours... not sure what the latest word about this game is)

91024500.jpg

Pretty sure this is Road America?

91021687.jpg

Looks like an old school version of Assen.

Unofficial Tracklist:

-Assen
-Fiorano
-Imola
-Monaco
-Monza
-Nurburgring
-Road America
-Silverstone
-Spa Francorchamps
-Watkins Glen

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
looks like the shift engine all right. will keep an eye out and hope for a pre-release demo

Jamesways

It'll be very interesting to see the physics of this without the EA influnence.
And no trackside fictional stuff all over the place from the looks of it too.

The vintage filters look great.
I do agree there's a bit too much bloom in some of the shots, but we'll have to see it motion. Same thing with Shift 1 screenshots, they exhibit more bloom than you notice while playing it.

Wax, that does look like RA, right after the kink. It's seriously a screenshot right out of Shift.

I'm so excited for this game. That proposed track list is excellent.

Cptkrush

I suggest those interested in this check out TDU2 first (at a friend's place or if there is a demo).

TDU2 was worse than shit, the driving physics and feel of the handling were really really awful.

Don't be swayed by the graphics if you actually play racing games instead of only looking at them.
I wouldn't expect the odds of this being 100x better(it really was that bad) to get upto par with other racing games to be very high.

The test drive games were always B rate games but they were enjoyable in a way, TDU2 set a new low for racing jankyness.

Judging from the gifs they're trying to entice the forza and gt crowd this time (both sell well let's get in on that action too guis) and they are probably the people who would hate the jank physics and handling the most.

People were warned by the beta players before tdu2 was released as well and that thread was full of buyer's remorse after release.

Cptkrush

I suggest those interested in this check out TDU2 first (at a friend's place or if there is a demo).

TDU2 was worse than shit, the driving physics and feel of the handling were really really awful.

Don't be swayed by the graphics if you actually play racing games instead of only looking at them.
I wouldn't expect the odds of this being 100x better(it really was that bad) to get upto par with other racing games to be very high.

Let me reiterate this, since you people are obviously not doing your research.
This is NOT an Atari Test Drive game. This game is completely independent of the old franchise and is being developed by Slightly Mad Studios, the old team behind the original GTR games iirc.

This game isn't even funded by Atari, let alone developed by Eden. Slightly Mad's work on C.A.R.S. is enough to sell me on this one.

I guess you're right - at least it isn't being developed by Eden. But Slightly Mad? I thought the first Shift was all right - definitely better handling than TDU2's nonsense, but how can you be sold on them because of Project C.A.R.S. - a game that doesn't come out until...what...2013?

I don't mean to poo-poo your opinions, I'm just saying I'm not quite convinced. Though I shouldn't sound so negative, what we've seen so far looks pretty good. (Still not crazy about real world courses, though.)

Cptkrush

I guess you're right - at least it isn't being developed by Eden. But Slightly Mad? I thought the first Shift was all right - definitely better handling than TDU2's nonsense, but how can you be sold on them because of Project C.A.R.S. - a game that doesn't come out until...what...2013?

I don't mean to poo-poo your opinions, I'm just saying I'm not quite convinced. Though I shouldn't sound so negative, what we've seen so far looks pretty good. (Still not crazy about real world courses, though.)

Because I've played C.A.R.S., because the Alpha is already better than all of Shift 2.

Cptkrush

Shift 2 is such a flawed gem. If only...

Fingers crossed for this game..

It's a real shame, it had such potential. I believe a lot of what went wrong, such as handling, are at the fault of EA wanting the game to be more arcadey so they could get more sales. But that's just my tinfoil hat theory.

Megasoum

Banned
Shift 2 is truly amazing if you play it on PC with a good steering wheel (ie: Fanatec) and with the PTMu physics mod.

The game has amazing graphics, superb sense of speed and the best track selection of any racing game ever... It's also the most nervracking racing game I've ever played. I managed to fall asleep once playing Forza (not saying it's a bad game mind you...) but playing Shift 2 is a real workout.

Top Bottom