• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TESV: Skyrim Game Informer info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
Tr4nce said:
Anyway, I'm so hyped for this game, I'm so glad we get another Elder Scrolls this generation!
I hate that we get another Elder Scrolls this gen - because the gen has gone on far too long!

It would be perfect if we got one Elder Scrolls and one Fallout per generation from Betsheda. That way each game would represent a massive grahical improvement and be spaced far enough to not get stale. And maybe a game or two from Obsidian. I would like to see Obsidian do a game in the TES universe.

Betsheda obviously think that they can't wait for this piss-poor gen to be over - that would just leave money on the table. But honestly, with the shitty console limitations, this game can't progress all that far beyond Oblivion.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
DennisK4 said:
Betsheda obviously think that they can't wait for this piss-poor gen to be over - that would just leave money on the table. But honestly, with the shitty console limitations, this game can't progress all that far beyond Oblivion.

Yes. Because games now only look slightly better than games that came out 5 years ago.

Dennis

Banned
Router said:
Yes. Because games now only look slightly better than games that came out 5 years ago.
Yes, glad to see you acknowledge the truth.

The games from them, Fallout 3 (and New Vegas, same tech) since Oblivion still look like 2005 games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DennisK4 said:
I hate that we get another Elder Scrolls this gen - because the gen has gone on far too long!

It would be perfect if we got one Elder Scrolls and one Fallout per generation from Betsheda. That way each game would represent a massive grahical improvement and be spaced far enough to not get stale. And maybe a game or two from Obsidian. I would like to see Obsidian do a game in the TES universe.

I'd say they set the bar low enough with Oblivion's art and textures that this actually looks pretty notably better.

Dennis

Banned
Nirolak said:
I'd say they set the bar low enough with Oblivion's art and textures that this actually looks pretty notably better.
Well, sure it is going to look better than Oblivion but I would honestly rather have waited a year or two and instead have the game for the next-gen consoles. I would still get it on PC but the visuals would be much better with fewer compromises.

So far each TES game has been a gigantic graphical improvement on its predecessor but that won't happen this time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kenka said:
I'm having crazy thoughts.

*If* Oblivion could run on 3DS, so would a port of Skyrim ?
Oblivion needs a lot of RAM.

A Morrowind-esque game would make more sense, with lots of fog and high mountains to help with memory requirements.

Dennis

Banned
Kenka said:
I'm having crazy thoughts.

*If* Oblivion could run on 3DS, so would a port of Skyrim ?
Open-world RPG on a 3DS would be awesome. Just make it from the ground up - I am not really interested in a port.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DennisK4 said:
Well, sure it is going to look better than Oblivion but I would honestly rather have waited a year or two and instead have the game for the next-gen consoles. I would still get it on PC but the visuals would be much better with fewer compromises.

So far each TES game has been a gigantic graphical improvement on its predecessor but that won't happen this time.
While I can't imagine the PS4 coming out later than the end of 2013 unless Sony is happy with bottom basement sales, I can't see it coming out much earlier either.

I don't think ZeniMax can afford to sit on its biggest game until then and still meet their goals of expanding greatly as a publisher.

Having a very wealthy publisher going into the next generation should help with TESVI a lot as well. Many of Oblivion's visual issues were budgetary.

szaromir

Banned
I really liked Fallout 3 visuals, especially after installing some mods. The graphical fidelity is high enough already, I hope they did rework their animation systems and some other aspects, they might make the leap bigger than between Morrowind and Oblivion overall.

Kenka

Nirolak said:
Oblivion needs a lot of RAM.

A Morrowind-esque game would make more sense, with lots of fog and high mountains to help with memory requirements.

I understand, depth of field is the main issue.

Prophet Steve said:
No, it does not have to. And when it would, in what kind of state do you still consider it Skyrim?

I was just thinking about it in relation to console limitations. A port of Skyrim on PS360 can only marginally improve over Oblivion. So, if the team renounced to some graphical improvements in order to make the game run on consoles, then maybe the engine is scalable enough to allow a port on the 3DS.

But I understand what you mean, the Skyrim experience would be strangled by hardware limitations. Oblivion's PSP port failure is probably a proof of the non-possibility of porting such games in the portable realm.

bj00rn_

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Yes, glad to see you acknowledge the truth.

The games from them, Fallout 3 (and New Vegas, same tech) since Oblivion still look like 2005 games.

Halo 3 and Halo: Reach is from the same "tech"; The Halo: Reach graphics engine is the same Halo 3 engine with modifications, and still they almost look a generation apart. I think it's in the same line of retooling as they are doing for Skyrim. So I don't think it's that far fetched to believe it's going to be a much better looking game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DennisK4 said:
Open-world RPG on a 3DS would be awesome. Just make it from the ground up - I am not really interested in a port.
Morrowind did run on the Xbox, so it's definitely technically feasible.

It's just I have no idea who would actually want to make one, given the state of Western support for the system.

Bethesda pretty much ruled out doing it themselves as well.

Industry Gamers said:
Industry Gamers: From the Nintendo perspective, you guys have not really done anything with the Wii. I remember asking you guys over a year ago, “Will you ever support the Wii?” Here we are a year later and there’s the Wii and of course the 3DS, which looks pretty cool. Is there any thinking at all from Bethesda’s viewpoint about finally diving into Nintendo development?

Todd Howard: From my group, which is the internal Bethesda development team, probably not. The stuff we’re doing is a better fit on the other platforms. You can never say never, but I think for the kind of games that we like to play and make, it fits the other platforms.
Source: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/...elopment-3d-not-supporting-nintendo-and-more/

Kenka

DennisK4 said:

Nirolak said:
Morrowind did run on the Xbox, so it's definitely technically feasible.

OK, so we could possibly have last-gen's quality RPGs on 3DS. Adding some adult-themed storyline would definitely do it for me. Count me in if it happens.

Nirolak said:
It's just I have no idea who would actually want to make one, given the state of Western support for the system.

Bethesda pretty much ruled out doing it themselves as well.

Source: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/...elopment-3d-not-supporting-nintendo-and-more/

One can only hope for some announcements on Jan, 19th. If we get some serious announcements regarding MMO and FPS genres, then I think we can raise our expectations. I have a PC of course but I wouldn't mind 3D epicness in the forthcoming months.

Gorgon

recklessmind said:
They might be able to eliminate loadtimes
on PC?
... but indoor/outdoor thing is a limitation of the engine.

A dev explained it once on the official forum... been so long though I have no idea how I can provide a source. Basically, he was saying: please stop asking people, we couldn't do it if we wanted to.

That was my impression of it at the time anyway.

If I remember correctly, indoor/outdoor were moded out in some Oblivion mods on PC, which means it's not a limitation of the engine since mods don't change an engine in any meaningful way. It can be though that it is a limitation of the engine in the sense that it can't cope with console limitations in memory, in which case they should have adressed that aspect of the engine since it certainly is possible to do so if they so wish.

EDIT: I meant indoor/outdoor, not loading times.

DennisK4 said:

I would be happy if there were any wrpg's at all for 3ds. For the ds we only got Orcs & Elves. Very dissapointing.

RyanDG

If there was a 3DS Elder Scrolls game, I think I would prefer it to be set up where there is one large central city hub that you go back to in order to resupply and pick up quests, and the actual focus of the gameplay was one large dungeon crawler. That's one thing I really missed about Morrowind. Some of the dungeon designs in that game were incredible.

Lumine

Wait, what? They're keeping level scaling? Isn't it the general concensus that this is one of the worst designs for a RPG in the history of uhh... said RPG's? I guess I'll wait for the first mods to pop up. Shame really.

Gorgon

DennisK4 said:

Jesus man, the best shit is just now coming out! Give me a few more years of this gen so I can enjoy me some ATLUS and FROM SOFTWARE stuff :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gorgon said:
Jesus man, the best shit is just now coming out! Give me a few more years of this gen so I can enjoy me some ATLUS and FROM SOFTWARE stuff :lol
From Software has been pretty on the ball this generation with their HD release schedule.

Wikipedia said:
o Chromehounds - July 7, 2006 (JP: June 29, 2006)
o Enchanted Arms - Aug 29, 2006 (JP: Jan 12, 2006)

o Armored Core 4 - Mar 20, 2007 (JP: Mar 22, 2007)
o Tenchu Z - US: June 12, 2007 (JP: Oct 5, 2006)

o Armored Core for Answer - US: September 16, 2008 (JP: Mar 18, 2008)
o Shadow Assault: Tenchu - Oct 8, 2008

o Demon's Souls - Oct 6, 2009 (JP: Feb 2, 2009)
o Ninja Blade - US: April 7, 2009 (JP: January 29, 2009)

o 3D Dot Game Heroes - May 11, 2010 (JP: Nov 5, 2009)
o Another Century's Episode: R - JP: August 19, 2010

* In development
o Armored Core 5
o Project Dark
o Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Software#Xbox_360

Bethesda has been on a pretty aggressive release schedule given the nature of their games as well.

Dabanton

Nirolak said:
11/11/11

It's kind of their marketing gimmick.

Yeah just checked it out.

I was worried this was going to release the same day as Uncharted 3 but that's the 1st November. So i'll have enough time to finish that before i get this. :D

I'm with everyone else on the ready for a new round of consoles train. I was hoping to see Nintendo pull the trigger at the end of this year, but the 3DS threw a wrench in that dream. Now I'd say we're looking at mid to late 2012 at the earliest for a new console, which is far too long a wait between new Elder Scrolls imo. Therefore I'm glad Bethesda decided not to wait. As a result of not being able to rely on tech to sell the game I think we'll get a better product than we would have had they waited to launch the game with the next round of consoles.

Dennis

Banned
Nirolak said:
11/11/11

It's kind of their marketing gimmick, but since that's a Friday, it'll probably be out on the 8th in the U.S.
Superior European friday launch dates!

You can keep you weirdo tuesday release day, americans. Friday 11/11/11 is perfect - play all weekend.

MrBig

DennisK4 said:

You can keep you weirdo tuesday release day, americans. Friday 11/11/11 is perfect - play all weekend.
You're happy to get the game later :lol

Dennis

Banned
MrBig said:
You're happy to get the game later :lol
Americans can't play before the weekend anyway - they are too busy working. I mean they must be given how they are always bragging about how many hours they work compared to us europeans.

DennisK4 said:
Americans can't play before the weekend anyway - they are too busy working. I mean they must be given how they are always bragging about how many hours they work compared to us europeans.

This doesn't make any sense, I'd still much rather have the game earlier. By the time Europe gets it I will have already put in at least 3 hours (probably more) and then have the entire weekend just like you.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Tr4nce said:
The last thing I would like to discuss is that the article states that dragons will freely fly through the skies in the game, and then occasionally attack the player. However, I sincerely do not hope that this will become annoying and irritating after a while, if you know what I mean. Like you're chilling someplace in the woods, enjoying a nice evening stroll and then suddenly you're attacked and killed. Ofcourse the idea is awesome, the idea of having some sort of constant threat flying about in the skies, but if Bethesda doesn't do it right, then it can quickly becoming annoying, or gamebreaking, know what I mean?

Hmm... if only there was an example where Bethesda went overboard with an annoying, constantly nagging flying creature.

:lol

Sometimes I imagine the meetings they must have:

"OK, some topics for today... So... uh... people really hate the level-scaling"

"Right"

"Lets do more level scaling"

Or

"Hey you guys remember those Cliff Racers?"

"Yeah, everyone hated them..."

"Yeah... yeah... we should bring them back. But like more powerful this time. Like giant powerful cliff racers!"

"So... dragons then?"

"YES DRAGONS!!"

I don't know man I'm sure there are lots or really smart, awesome developers at Bethesda but why is that my first thought of a Bethesda dragon is a more annoying cliff racer? I will eat so much crow if this game is awesome, and fucking enjoy it. I want the game to be awesome. Game, please be awesome.

Tr4nce said:
The last thing I would like to discuss is that the article states that dragons will freely fly through the skies in the game, and then occasionally attack the player. However, I sincerely do not hope that this will become annoying and irritating after a while, if you know what I mean. Like you're chilling someplace in the woods, enjoying a nice evening stroll and then suddenly you're attacked and killed. Ofcourse the idea is awesome, the idea of having some sort of constant threat flying about in the skies, but if Bethesda doesn't do it right, then it can quickly becoming annoying, or gamebreaking, know what I mean?

Anyway, I'm so hyped for this game, I'm so glad we get another Elder Scrolls this generation!

I'm guessing you haven't played Morrowind.

jza1jr.jpg

MrBig said:
are cliff racers from morrowind? I haven't gotten very far into it yet, what are they?

They are the most annoying 'wildlife' enemies (well... maybe tied with fucking slaughterfish). You can't have played far as they are everywhere. More prominent on higher altitudes.

DennisK4 said:

11/11/11 is Armistice Day over here, so I'll probably be getting it the 10th, if not earlier.

Ledsen

Gorgon said:
If I remember correctly, indoor/outdoor were moded out in some Oblivion mods on PC, which means it's not a limitation of the engine since mods don't change an engine in any meaningful way. It can be though that it is a limitation of the engine in the sense that it can't cope with console limitations in memory, in which case they should have adressed that aspect of the engine since it certainly is possible to do so if they so wish.

It would've slowed most computers down to a crawl in 2006, that's why they separated it. Just try the Open Cities mod with a middling 2006 graphics card and see for yourself. I guess the "engine limitation" in this case is that it's very poorly optimized?

Government-man said:
They are the most annoying 'wildlife' enemies (well... maybe tied with fucking slaughterfish). You can't have played far as they are everywhere. More prominent on higher altitudes.
i hope they bring back cliff racers :)

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Gorgon said:

What are the names of these mods?

edit: Oh Open Cities? i thought you meant like a mod that got rid of the different cells and made one large one.

Fitz

water_wendi said:
What are the names of these mods?

edit: Oh Open Cities? i thought you meant like a mod that got rid of the different cells and made one large one.

While that's perfectly possible, though I'm not sure how feasible, it would destroy performance on any system, simply because Oblivion can't make full use of even semi recent hardware.

Clevinger

Truant said:
It has real-time snow, though.

I think that might be a misconception, like it was just worded strangely (and likely using hyperbole, like "it looks so natural it doesn't look like a preset texture!").

bengraven

Haters gonna hate. I love CRPGs, but I also love Bethesda and Bioware games despite the streamlining they've done lately to pander to the mainstream.

If I could get:

1) Bethesda's worlds
2) Bioware's dialogue and characters
3) Blizzard's game and art design

In one game...I would die of an orgasm.

Gorgon

Ledsen said:
It would've slowed most computers down to a crawl in 2006, that's why they separated it. Just try the Open Cities mod with a middling 2006 graphics card and see for yourself. I guess the "engine limitation" in this case is that it's very poorly optimized?

You're probably right.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Anasui Kishibe said:
2011 is the year i disappear from society

You and I see eye to eye with these games. I will join you, but won't. We shall both not be here together.

ZeroRay

It's funny that the time between Oblivion and Skyrim is already greater than the one between Morrowind and Oblivion.

Now that Bethesda has had so much time without a rough generational transition, I'm hoping we get something special.

MrBig

ZeroRay said:
It's funny that the time between Oblivion and Skyrim is already greater than the one between Morrowind and Oblivion.

Now that Bethesda has had so much time without a rough generational transition, I'm hoping we get something special.
Fallout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom