• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas judge halts federal transgender health protections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

A federal judge in Texas has ordered a halt to another Obama administration effort to strengthen transgender rights, this time over health rules that social conservatives say could force doctors to violate their religious beliefs.

U.S. District Judge Reed O'Connor on Saturday granted a temporary injunction that stops federal health officials from enforcing rules that are intended to ban discrimination by doctors and hospitals against transgender persons.

O'Connor wrote in a 46-page ruling that the rules "likely violate" the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

O'Connor is the same judge who sided with Republican-controlled states earlier this year over transgender protections in public schools sought by the Obama administration. That lawsuit centered on a federal directive requiring schools to let transgender students use bathrooms consistent with their gender identity.

The lawsuit in which O'Connor issued the injunction Saturday contends that the rules, which were finalized in May, could force doctors to help with gender transition contrary to their religious beliefs or medical judgment. Transgender rights advocates called that a far-fetched hypothetical, saying a person would not approach a doctor who lacked suitable experience and expertise.

Joining Texas in the lawsuit were Wisconsin, Kentucky, Nebraska and Kansas, along with the Christian Medical and Dental Association and Franciscan Alliance, an Indiana-based network of religious hospitals.

The Obama administration finalized the regulations around the time it issued its directive to public schools regarding transgender students. Thirteen states signed on to fight that directive, including three involved in the latest lawsuit, and won a temporary injunction in August from U.S. District Judge Reed O'Connor.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ealth-protections-lawsuit-20161231-story.html

Is there any doctor in the US at the moment specialized in gender transition that would... not do that because it is against their beliefs? Seems kind of strange to learn that stuff and then want to refuse to do it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Be ready for tons of legislation locking all of this in at the federal level. Not gonna be easy for certain people in the coming years.

Syncytia

I remember seeing a lot of conservatives right after election saying they didn't vote for Trump for this stuff. And they will stand up for others rights "when and if" they are in danger.

Hahahahahahahahahahah. Wait it isn't even funny.

Ms.Galaxy

I'd like to know where in the bible it said, "Thou shall not aid nor service those who are homosexual or transgender." Last I checked, Jesus was open to help and serve anyone and everyone, even the "undesirables".

I hope people bring this shit to the courts and ask that, because I think you can't claim "religious freedom" on something that has no connection to the actual religion.

(maybe people should stop working jobs that involve violating their religious beliefs so that people don't have to play a guessing game as to whether they will be able to receive treatment)

Bronx-Man

Banned
tumblr_inline_oh8vqaul4X1u8pdul_500.gif

He held a flag, guys. Everything's gonna be alright.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Will this be the dark ages for the US? A total regression. This subset of our society will become emboldened.

Unequivocal statement that the rights of doctors not to help people because of their bigotry are more important than the well being of transgender folks.

Why even be a doctor in the first place? The patient is always first no matter what belief the person has.

To force your beliefs down the throats of others because you think you know best on everything. Makes me ashamed to even be in the same profession as some of these fucks.

Ms.Galaxy

Will this be the dark ages for the US? A total regression. This subset of our society will become emboldened.

Expect civil rights to go down for the next 40 years, especially if the Democrats can't take over congress in 2018 and 2020. If they can, I say it will be a bumpy ride for less than a decade.

U.S. District Judge Reed O'Connor on Saturday granted a temporary injunction that stops federal health officials from enforcing rules that are intended to ban discrimination by doctors and hospitals against transgender persons.

O'Connor wrote in a 46-page ruling that the rules "likely violate" the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

I don't even fucking understand how someone can go "I don't agree with their lifestyle, so they shouldn't be allowed medical help".

So doctors can deny service to someone who has a different beleif to them too? So if they ask me "what do you believe in?" And I answer "science and modern medicine". That won't be enough? Can they at least prescribe me leeches to bleed out the demons?

For many of us, yes. For others, it will be business as usual. Some will express their disgust and outrage over it, but didn't vote this year and probably won't in 2018/20.

We're fucked.

And another note, this is why many lgbt patients don't even want to discuss their Healthcare with doctors because they don't even know if they can trust them to give sound medical care or at the very least not judge them. Can you imagine how painful it would be to finally have the courage to ask about this stuff and be shot down by someone who is supposed to be looking after you?

Lagamorph

Something I don't get....what does the bible actually say about Trans people? I mean....just being Trans doesn't even make someone homosexual so it's not like hardline religious groups can use the whole anti-homosexuality angle against the Trans community.

Crosseyes

Banned
Get ready, it won't be totally wiped out but there's gonna be loopholes to bigotry like a motherfucker
Yep and it will even be more important to stand strong with the bravest that protest and march in the streets. With a Trump backed arm of the state blood may have to be spilled but the cost for equality will never be too great.

Volimar

Something I don't get....what does the bible actually say about Trans people? I mean....just being Trans doesn't even make someone homosexual so it's not like hardline religious groups can use the whole anti-homosexuality angle against the Trans community.

"God made you male and God doesn't make mistakes." etc. etc.

Ultimately, this is the kind of thing that informs me on the idea that unity/cooperation between extreme ideologies is a dead idea. We are literally seeing doctors declaring that their religion is more important than their oath as doctors when it comes to helping certain people, and they are being defended for it.

But they said they only cared about the sanctity of womens toilets now they care about the holiness of the doctor's office. This hallowed ground is spreading at quite a rate. We need some satanists to sort this out.

The people who voted for him believe that "Make America Great Again" means turning back the clock to the 1950s. Before civil rights. Before renewable energy. They want the bright shining world of post-WWII.

So yes, Trump and the GOP are going to try and drag us back in time by 50+ years. They believe life was simpler and better then.

Plum

Be ready for tons of legislation locking all of this in at the federal level. Not gonna be easy for certain people in the coming years.

The hard truth is that there will be so many other "more important" things a Democratic president would need to fix in 2020/24 that something like this would be incredibly low on their agenda. All my sympathy goes out to the transgender folk who will feel all the effects of these disgusting moves (because I doubt the people the Republicans are "doing this for" will even care in a few weeks).

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I remember seeing a lot of conservatives right after election saying they didn't vote for Trump for this stuff. And they will stand up for others rights "when and if" they are in danger.

Hahahahahahahahahahah. Wait it isn't even funny.

I mean, if you really gave a fuck you probably wouldn't vote for the party that has been pushing back strongly against Transgender rights these past couple of years.

But them tax breaks doe

Upside down though which is the universal sign of distress.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Transgender is not a subject of the Bible.

Time to become a doctor and tell white Christians that their existence is against my own religious beliefs, and therefore I don't have to offer them medical aid.

I'm sure they'll understand.

Breads

Banned
So they want healthcare facilities to be able to turn people they disapprove of away and are framing this as religious freedom?

Fuck the GOP.

Made a topic referencing this exact image recently. People are being incredibly naive about how many people are getting free reign to destroy LGBTQ+ lives under Trump, when they should be putting blisters on their hands and feet to make sure this shit doesn't carry. Speaking of, to legally fight this there's alot people not only can but should be doing/supporting to fight back as bigots get bolder, if there's any bit in them that actually has empathy for the civil rights of others:

Lagamorph

"God made you male and God doesn't make mistakes." etc. etc.
Isn't the new testament more or less an admission that God made a hell of a lot of mistakes?

Transgender is not a subject of the Bible.
That's my point. To the best of my knowledge nothing even remotely like it is referenced in the bible anywhere. So I don't understand how they can hide behind religion to try and justify their own bigotry against the Trans community.

zigg

Is there any doctor in the US at the moment specialized in gender transition that would... not do that because it is against their beliefs? Seems kind of strange to learn that stuff and then want to refuse to do it.
I think an important issue here is whether a trans person can even approach their primary care physician about the issue. A non-doctor (because frankly, that's what they are, ignoring medical science) could stand in their way of getting the treatment they need.

The religious right version is the Hypocritic Oath.

Importantly, the Christian right version of the Oath because a Muslim doctor refusing a Christian patient would make every Trump supporter, Fox news watcher and GOP member shit themselves inside out until they died on live TV from the aneurysm caused by yelling about how they're being persecuted and Islam is destroying their America

I think an important issue here is whether a trans person can even approach their primary care physician about the issue. A non-doctor (because frankly, that's what they are, ignoring medical science) could stand in their way of getting the treatment they need.

And for people in small towns many times there a few medical professionals a person can even see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom