• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas judge halts federal transgender health protections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doctors shouldn't be allowed to practice if their 'religious beliefs' interfere with them performing their job of providing healthcare.

SeanTSC

Ultimately, this is the kind of thing that informs me on the idea that unity/cooperation between extreme ideologies is a dead idea. We are literally seeing doctors declaring that their religion is more important than their oath as doctors when it comes to helping certain people, and they are being defended for it.

The cultural divide in this country is massive and irreconcilable.

I'm so god damned tired of this bullshit and having rights, protections, progress, and basic common decency held back by a bunch of people who might as well be from an entirely different country and do not hold even remotely similar core values to me. The more this happens the more I keep wishing we could just split up and let these selfish, inhuman monsters burn their own little regions to the ground and leave the rest of us alone.

Well, yeah. Protecting minorities goes against everything the GOP stands for, and then throw in a disgusting religious element on top of that? Oh boy, that really gets them going.

So I don't understand how they can hide behind religion to try and justify their own bigotry against the Trans community.

Because as much shit as English majors get about spending time reading and interpreting texts, the Christian Right make a lifestyle out of it. At least English majors tend to become more empathetic as a result of this exercise.

Also, turn the "Trans" in your sentence into a blank space, and you can pretty much apply it to large swaths of Christian history. It's a fun vocabulary game to play with conservative friends!

"So I don't understand how they can hide behind religion to try and justify their own bigotry against the gay community."

"So I don't understand how they can hide behind religion to try and justify their own bigotry against the Black community."

"So I don't understand how they can hide behind religion to try and justify their own bigotry against the academic community."

So flexible!

Reprehensible.

I wish I could say I don't believe it, but people in my area call us freaks, mentally ill, perverts, pedophiles, and so on. They say we need to be "dealt with" but never define w hat that means.

This is what they mean.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Shit like this is why I'm leaving the country. It's a short walk from "unprotected" to "abused" and these people seem eager to take it.

Why the fuck do these people even have authority? I guess the right to force their beliefs on others is more important than letting people live happy and free.

Which is ironic because that's the shit they accuse others of doing.

Why the fuck do these people even have authority? I guess the right to force their beliefs on others is more important than letting people live happy and free.

Which is ironic because that's the shit they accuse others of doing.

Because Christians who hope they'll take away rights from the people they don't like grant them that power in droves

These religious freedom laws might have been rejected if Hillary had won or Garland had been appointed. Now the real and lasting damage of 2016 election will play out.

Man the replies to the tweet about this are fucked up.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/815326638430887936

This one was pretty good though..

C1Chg5XXEAAukIW.jpg:large

PBalfredo

The (extra) crazy part of all of this is how much these efforts ascribe discrimination as a key component of Christianity. As though if they cannot discriminate, their religion is being infringed upon. Surely there are Christian organisations out there that are pushing back against this notion, right? Someone's out there remembering to actually love thy neighbor, right?

"God made you male and God doesn't make mistakes." etc. etc.

Yeah, it's not about anything in the Bible. It's about what some people perceive as mocking God. There are a vast majority of people out there that think it is literally impossible not to believe in God. There are people out there that think you can be converted just by them saying "God did it".

Organized religion makes a shitload of sense when you realize that biblethumpers are not simply people that don't like your opinion, but think that theirs is held by the rest of the world.

The Lamp

What do religious beliefs have to do with treating transgender people? The Hippocratic oath means you have to do good in healing ALL people PERIOD.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
These stupid laws won't be challenged or overturned until some doctors refuse treatment to people based on their non christian faiths.

Yep. Trans people don't experience a loss of access to adequate health care because of extremist Muslims, it's because of white Christians.

To be fair, I don't really know how accepting Islamic countries are of trans people. One case study from Turkey, which is fairly secular, found that only 40% of the 47 family members interviewed "accepted the transgendered identity and approved the sex reassignment surgery as a final step." Iran supposedly still executes people for sodomy, and the more religious parts of the Middle East seem pretty concerned about behavior that deviates from gender norms. Obviously, there's little basis for American Muslims to do anything to trans people; they don't have nearly the power or numbers here that white Christians do.

In short, I'mma split hairs and say it's not "White Christians are shittier people," but that "people who are rigidly attached to patriarchy are shittier people."

To be fair, I don't really know how accepting Islamic countries are of trans people. One case study from Turkey, which is fairly secular, found that only 40% of the 47 family members interviewed "accepted the transgendered identity and approved the sex reassignment surgery as a final step." Iran supposedly still executes people for sodomy, and the more religious parts of the Middle East seem pretty concerned about behavior that deviates from gender norms. Obviously, there's little basis for American Muslims to do anything to trans people; they don't have nearly the power or numbers here that white Christians do.

In short, I'mma split hairs and say it's not "White Christians are shittier people," but that "people who are rigidly attached to patriarchy are shittier people."

I was more talking about how Trump talked about how Muslims posed a threat to the LGBT community, when all the news is of their oppressors being white Christians.

what about the Hippocratic oath?

It's the Hypocritic oath now

tumblr_mo8yp8VLaT1qdlh1io1_r1_400.gif

Yep. Trans people don't experience a loss of access to adequate health care because of extremist Muslims, it's because of white Christians.

As an unrelated aside, Iran actually has really progressive laws re: transgender rights given how it treats many other issues.

Granted, that's done so transgender people can enter heterosexual relationships (as homosexuality is treated pretty badly there) and it's likely that gay men are sort of forced into it. But the government is supportive both legally and financially of transitioning - it's kind of weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom