• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Showdown Championships 2012 | Fighting game tournament | April 6-8

K.Sabot

crsYh.jpg

OH SHIT

SmokeMaxX

Might not be tourney pools or anything. At a local tourney, we held casuals in a bathroom afterwards and one dude slept in the bathtub.

My understanding is that they had 1 match left in their pool when the power went off in all places but the bathroom. So they ran the match in the bathroom. It's not like the PZ staff set up a station in the bathroom and told people to play there, but it's still ridiculous that they charged so much money for a venue with so many problems.

BiggNife

My understanding is that they had 1 match left in their pool when the power went off in all places but the bathroom. So they ran the match in the bathroom. It's not like the PZ staff set up a station in the bathroom and told people to play there, but it's still ridiculous that they charged so much money for a venue with so many problems.

Regardless of whether or not it was intentional, the fact that it actually happened is absolutely insane and Planet Zero should be ashamed of themselves.

alstein

Regardless of whether or not it was intentional, the fact that it actually happened is absolutely insane and Planet Zero should be ashamed of themselves.

They have no shame, that's why they keep pulling stuff over and over.

They're the Capcom of arcades.

Does Emogear still run Planet Zero? My understanding is that he's the black sheep and the source of Planet Zero's bad reputation, it would make sense for the Cannon brothers to give PZ a chance to prove themselves without him. It wouldn't make sense for them to do so if he's still in charge.

Dahbomb

Is it Jan Del Rio? The guy playing at 3:08:00?
http://www.twitch.tv/shinkensou/b/314291255

Was there anything streamed at the planetzero page? twitch.tv/planetzero has no archives for this
It was Scrubeks (top 4 placement) and nothing was streamed so there are no archives. PlanetZero was dead throughout the tournament, the other stream link had a few Marvel matches but nothing of that caliber.

LMAO @ the bathroom pic holy shit!!!

For next year please, and I mean PLEASE let Fubarduck and the Dallas-FW guys run the Road to EVO tournaments for Dallas. Houston had there chance and they blew it big time.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
For next year please, and I mean PLEASE let Fubarduck and the Dallas-FW guys run the Road to EVO tournaments for Dallas. Houston had there chance and they blew it big time.
Agreed.

Fubarduck is the Organizer that the Texas FGC deserves.

Duxxy3

I tried to watch the tournament this weekend but the stream was almost never up and the only time i did catch it, skull girls was on.

Was this actually a road to evo tournament?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sam isn't sponsored by PZ anymore.

I'm proud of Rubeks. He's one of our sponsored players (our other didn't go to the con) and he got 4th. I think he's one of the best players out in America. He should have gotten out of pools in FR but he gets extra nervous on stream lol.

Hold on guys, it just got even better

AirbrushKing said:
This post is to 100% clear houstons name from this disaster and move forward to bigger and better things happening in the future!

For starters Planet-Zero should have never been un-banned in the 1st place seeing how shady they still are from not paying jan the money they owe him a few months ago to trying to ban people for no reason. Ill expose some things they have been doing as of late and if you want to know more truth about them go to www.tinyurl.com/pzscam for the info. Now, They hold there weeklys and charge 10$ that automatically enters you into all games which is why there numbers of entrants are always inflated to make it seem like there doing good when there not. A random person can walk in and pay 10$ and is automatically entered in the tournament whether he wants to play or not just so it looks good on the results that they post in there threads? There are alot of venues and tios out here in houston that put on tournaments and never have any of these issues so do not blame the city of houston for this disaster blame Planet-Zero. As everyone should know nobody supports that place anymore but there own players which is very few thats why alot of our best players didnt attend showdown. Everyone in houston has moved onto dave and busters and monsters arcade or hosting stuff at peoples houses.

As far as Texas Showdown is concerned it is being ran by Planet-Zero so why wouldnt people expect it not to run well. I felt it was shady how they tried to pull a fast one on everyone already advancing there players to semi-finals making it to were no matter what happens, pz players will come out in top 32. To top things off you try to charge for a stream that is FREE at tournaments like Final Round, Seasons Beatings, CEO, and the list go on. Wow, When I did Cali Vs Texas and Reset/Neo came from cali I never once put toan or rudy in semi finals so why would anyone even try to attemp this? Now to the payouts.

Im also hearing the payouts for some of the games were incorrect. Please post entrants and payouts so all players know what there were "suppose" to be getting paid. The reason why i say this is because they didnt payout all the money out at last years showdown to some players and everyone was being nice about it and didnt want to say anything but I WILL!

I thank adnan for pointing out the pz seeding because had he didnt it would have been even more hell than whats happening now. Houston has already been BOYCOTTING anything that is Planet-Zero related and will continue to do so from here on out because all they do is hurt our scene and its reputation. I would like everyone to continue to put the blame on Planet-Zero and not houston or texas and hope that they get banished from posting any events/tournaments on all forums!

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...r-the-woodlands-tx.152646/page-3#post-6780921

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm sure no one holds contempt towards Texas you guys, though I understand why y'all are defensive if you guys have nutjobs for representatives that don't seem to go away. Uproar is necessary for EVO to come to their senses and put some damn regulations on their tourneys, or something to deal with this mess that it appears no one is happy about, involved or not.

Malajax

I thought PZ and Monster's arcade were the only game in town. Now I know to hit up Dave and Busters for weeklies. Good to know.

Not supporting PZ anymore.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Mega-post from the tournament organizer:

Shin Kensou said:
So the post that I was going to make...HERE WE GO. *As a disclaimer if you get butt hurt over anything I'm about to say...hold that shit. I don't mean to disrespect but I'm speaking my mind for once as do most of you so yeah...*

First off I'd like to start by saying thanks to EVERYONE that helped make Showdown run with the resources we had. It was a BITCH AND A HALF to make it work but we made do with what we had. Thanks to each and every competitor that came out regardless of you being upset about something that may have happened to you or anyone of your friends. It wasn't anyone's intention for negative things to happen but it happened and some things were out of my/our control so I apologize COMPLETELY for anything that did happen.

Thanks to Nathan Guerrero, Francisco Carmona, Fernando Rafael Jimenez, Tofu Soup, David-Noob Tran, Alexander Ho, Antoine-Kage Dominic Davis, Daniel Lower, Frank Occhione and Buddha for helping from the stream to the brackets. I KNOW some of you guys weren't supposed to do it but you did it anyway and it won't go unrecognized so again I say thank you. You guys helped lighten the burden on my shoulders and I can't express that gratitude any further. If I missed you and you helped sorry yo.

On to the tournament. It was bad. Plain and simple. All the way across the board with no 2 ways about it. Some things were out of my personal control like the internet. Which brings me to the stream portion...my stream was a SIDE STREAM to begin with so don't be fucking shocked that games like MK, SC5, BB, or whatever got love. To be completely fair, SFxT took about 4hrs with just WINNERS alone. The viewership was low because my personal stream page is not really well known so what can one expect of that? The numbers barely dropped below 750 so for my PERSONAL PAGE that is a success in its own right. If you stream monstered it up, thanks I appreciate it.

The hotel didn't provide me with what was needed in terms of the internet so if you didn't know what my options were let me enlighten you; PAY $200 A DAY (2 DAYS =400) FOR A MAYBE GOOD DEDICATED STATIC IP TO STREAM. Now with that I ask you, would YOU (the players) help donate back to my wallet to get a better quality stream? Probably not...Would I blame you? Not in the slightest as to its not YOUR problem correct me if I'm wrong? So with that they gave me another "switch line" which was great early in the morning but went to crap later. So either stream low quality or don't stream at all was what I was left with and as you know I went with the low qual at the very least. Keep in mind this is my PERSONAL SHIT THAT I LUGGED TO THAT FUCKING HOTEL. I did it for the community to ensure that we'd at least have SOMETHING at the very least. Can't fault me for trying my hardest can you? I had to DQ myself from half the games I played to make sure that shit could run better. So moving on....

Communities; Capcom heads sorry you didn't get the stream time you wanted but that's how it went down. Deal with it. There are other games besides fucking SF4, UMvC, and SFxT that actually DESERVE SOME FUCKING LOVE from the people that play those games. Stop neglecting the fact that THERE ARE OTHER FUCKING GAMES BESIDES SHIT THAT CAPCOM MAKES! Go hold that shit and re-read if you misunderstood. I'm MORE than well aware that the Capcom games get viewers but chill the fuck out. Let other communities get their time to shine. It's not all about you and your fucking random DP fadc to super fuckers.

MK9 heads; who the fuck put that PS3 in the bathroom and thought that shit was cool? THAT'S A FUCKING HAZARD WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU? You do realize that we could have gotten into hella shit with that right? Why are you trolling your own event? I read on twitter you guys did that yourselves? COME THE FUCK ON HOMIE! I gave you guys hella stream time and I'm grateful you guys got the exposure you deserve but that shit hurt me after knowing I helped you guys with your stuff. That ain't right and I won't tolerate that shit again. Good stuff for being timely with the event though and thanks for a good showing.

SC5/KoF heads; you guys were the most patient of the groups along side KoF and I'm glad like MK you guys got the exposure you deserved. Everything ran smoothly for you guys and I'm happy for that. Congrats to the winners and for the Houston scene I'll be seeing you guys soon for MLG practice. Anime heads; good job totally.

Complainers; what can I say to you guys? You have all the right in the world to complain, be upset, speak negatively, much less speak your mind how ever you see fit on the situation at hand. And you know what? I won't stop you or say much of anything. You paid your money so you're entitled to say what you want, however what I will say is what's been stated before...either you help out or keep it moving. Pretty simple ya know? It's like part of this scene wants to see shit grow and take action to see it happen, while others wait to see shit grow and do little to nothing. However if we can't even work together positively...HOW THE FUCK CAN OUR SCENE GROW? Complaining solves nothing, actions solve problems. For those that offered help it was appreciated and for those that said that they would help but didn't really help...well thanks for the sentiments. I can say that the hype was over the top but shit man...help to keep the hype there at the very least. Again, I AM ADMITTING THE HYPE WAS MAYBE TOO MUCH FOR SOME PEOPLE BUT...read the sentence above to complete this one.

In the stream chat I saw Houston trolling it's own event....you guys fucking disgust me and you should be ashamed of yourselves entirely. Jokes aside support your own shit. But I won't get into any of that I'll stop there. I lost sleep for 2 days, I barely ate shit for the whole weekend, I DROVE TO MY CRIB TO GET MORE EQUIPMENT AND DROVE BACK AT 4AM...and for what? For the very same people in here and out of here...man...lol. I am only one person and one person can only take so much ya know? I realize more so than ever how this scene works and operates and on one end I'm pleased and on the other I'm not sure what to think. This Showdown showed me a great deal about the people who play here and the good side here is we have potential in every way possible. There are a lot of promising players IMO and there can be a bright future for those players. On the other hand...some of you are trolls and ungrateful people who have no idea what it takes to run an event nor what it takes to get where you want to be as a player. So in both regards iunno what to tell you.

I've decided I'm either helping Showdown run and not competing in the tournament WHATSOEVER or focusing on myself with other things like personal projects or work or whatever during this time. With that I mean taking the time out to organize shit PROPERLY with a group from the community so I can have input from BOTH sides as to be fair. Showdown deserves respect...Anyway I'll still help out with the usual do that I do but Showdown is a different story. I've expressed this with both John and Chris so it ain't no surprise to either of them, just how I feel about all this. I intend to play still of course, however I'll be focusing on MLG games exclusively. KoF and SC5 are now my games and I'm about done with everything else. This doesn't mean that I won't compete for shits and giggles, just means I refuse to put time into these other games.

In closing, as a player this Showdown literally brought me down. Showdown is where I made a name for myself in Guilty Gear and it saddened me to no end to see it the way it was this year all the way across the board. I kept going with Showdown always because it's where I took off as a player, made new friends, created rivalries, pushed NOT ONLY our city players but TEXAS as a WHOLE to support itself and its players...and made me have the city pride I still hold today. More over, I would like to see others around me use Showdown as a launch pad for their future success and to promote the comradery and fellowship I used to see within the TX scene alone. Watching this year go down it wasn't all there...I could go on but this is about my extent. I'm going back on the grind...peace...

smurfx

get some go again
sounds like this guy is in way over his head and shouldn't attempt any more majors. evo should give the support to somebody else. after reading about all the complains people have with the way he runs things and then the shady stuff i don't think this guy should be allowed anywhere near tournaments. oh well if the evo organizers don't care who they associate with then i won't either.

This Kensou guy was supposedly on his own, right? Where was everyone else? The internet thing was a real mess. I bet that really messed things up alongside power outage.
Communities; Capcom heads sorry you didn't get the stream time you wanted but that's how it went down. Deal with it. There are other games besides fucking SF4, UMvC, and SFxT that actually DESERVE SOME FUCKING LOVE from the people that play those games. Stop neglecting the fact that THERE ARE OTHER FUCKING GAMES BESIDES SHIT THAT CAPCOM MAKES! Go hold that shit and re-read if you misunderstood. I'm MORE than well aware that the Capcom games get viewers but chill the fuck out. Let other communities get their time to shine. It's not all about you and your fucking random DP fadc to super fuckers.
Legendary shitstorm incoming.

Why did he have to rag on the capcom fans? Lol. The classic sorry, but fuck you, not really. He should has waited a couple days to let emotion to go down and then address it. I want to hear a statement from PZ directly, heh.

His event was so poorly planned and executed, so he's now facing the backlash and can't handle it? That's fine, he shouldn't get another shot at it. If he and Texas Showdown isn't ready for the big time, they shouldn't have applied to be part of the Road to EVO events. But whatever, hopefully Texas can really show what they're made of and capable of next year when EVO awards a different tournament as a Road to EVO event.

BTW, I'm guessing Shin Kensou is the same Kensou as this one right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMHc32ygldk

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Why did he have to rag on the capcom fans? Lol. The classic sorry, but fuck you, not really. He should has waited a couple days to let emotion to go down and then address it. I want to hear a statement from PZ directly, heh.

These are from PZ John, the owner of PZ. He was busy with Anime Matsuri the entire weekend, I would assume.

I got monitors, provided a venue, equipment, flew in Mike Ross, Justin Wong, Kineda, John Choi and James Chen to TxS so that you guys can have a great major. Thank you everyone.

Saying the venue not being accomodating is ignorant. Also the internet allocated to showdown was 10up 10down. The power is resulted from plugging 10 strips to an outlet in the wall when a powerbox was ready to go.

This tournanment failed because of lack of organization and not enough help. Simple.

edit: yes that is the same guy, Rice

His event was so poorly planned and executed, so he's now facing the backlash and can't handle it? That's fine, he shouldn't get another shot at it. If he and Texas Showdown isn't ready for the big time, they shouldn't have applied to be part of the Road to EVO events. But whatever, hopefully Texas can really show what they're made of and capable of next year when EVO awards a different tournament as a Road to EVO event.

yeah same guy
Sam isn't sponsored by PZ anymore.

ah, didn't know that

As questionable as the stream quality and the things going on at the event were, I think I'll look back on this tourney fondly for the game choice and time distribution on the stream, compared to other events.

Good on the guy who was in charge of the stream for sticking to the non-Capcom games despite the other stream not working, and calling out the Capfans in his rant.

smurfx

get some go again

lol is that LI Joe jumping for joy when that liston guy thinks he won?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
There's no problem with putting other games on the stream.

There IS a problem when you time it so that you miss top 8 and grand finals.

kirblar

As questionable as the stream quality and the things going on at the event were, I think I'll look back on this tourney fondly for the game choice and time distribution on the stream, compared to other events.

Good on the guy who was in charge of the stream for sticking to the non-Capcom games despite the other stream not working, and calling out the Capfans in his rant.
I really hope this is a troll post.

I would have loved the stream monster it but I don't think it was a big deal that they didn't stream the games that most fans wanted to watch. It's just how poorly the tournament was run and how bad of a experience so many people had. No it doesn't affect me personally, but I just want to see things go well and it didn't over there so I feel bad for the Texas guys who feel there entire state was misrepresented by this tournament.

As for the stream, if they want to ignore the majority of the audience and be the only Road to EVO event to have less then 1,000 simultaneous viewers for most of the weekend then that's their decision.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

It's like a troll post if you remove the wit and sense made.

If this is truly what you extracted from the colossal failure of a stream, I don't know what to say. Troll harder I guess? Not sure how you justify them running casuals of other games instead of pools/finals on the basis of whether they have a Capcom sticker on the front.

sleepykyo

Capcom fans get pissed about being marginalized at Apex for shooters and other bigger games. Then get pissed when streamer decides not to marginalize the other fighters.

Why is mk9 on main stream?

Every time I check the stream it's MK. Worst tournament ever

I turned it on earlier and after about an hour of MK, I shut it off. Now they're on to Soul Calibur. How interesting, they really know what the people want don't they?

That's from this thread. Lord knows what the chat looked like.

rCIZZLE

I don't think it's as much them streaming other games as not telling us there would be no chance they would be streaming the main ones. If someone came out and definitively said it at the start of the day and repeated it a few times then few people would care. We wouldn't see a lot of new (from a stream monster's perspective) players but we wouldn't have sat around waiting for games that they had no intention on streaming.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I never knew there was an issue of what game he was streaming, just an issue of what he was streaming and when. Sounds like he let the stream monsters get to him. They'll say anything, and by the looks of his caps lock button, it fucked with his emotions a bit.

Let's stream casuals all day long and then close up shop before finals start. A+ job. Yeah, these are not the people that should be running a tourney. Let's not forget Stream 1 was dead the entire weekend.

I don't think it's as much them streaming other games as not telling us there would be no chance they would be streaming the main ones. If someone came out and definitively said it at the start of the day and repeated it a few times then few people would care. We wouldn't see a lot of new (from a stream monster's perspective) players but we wouldn't have sat around waiting for games that they had no intention on streaming.

Yep, that's exactly how I felt. My comment was the bottom of the 3 that sleepkyo quoted. Like most people, I wasn't aware of there schedule. If they had just mentioned that earlier it wouldn't have made a bigger deal then it became. Like I said, they can stream whatever they feel like. But just make your audience aware of things. I'm only going to watch things I want to watch, but I'm not going to complain about it either unless a situation like this happens. I don't even like Marvel, and that's the focus of most streams. But I don't come in here with something like "Oh Marvel's on, good, I can go do something else until they stream AE".

sleepykyo

The stringing along and missing top 8? Sure.

But those quotes were from before the whole top 8 thing happened. As soon as MK9 happened, it hit the fan. Not to mention he was never supposed to be streaming the Capcom stuff, it was supposed to be PlanetZero.

Top Bottom