• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Ray Down

Banned
I mean, he's pretty much the single most involved individual in any given episode of DBZA being the guy who edits everything, so he's the most capable of causing a delay

He also edits Hellsing which from prior statements is hell to do and he used to edit Ben the Sage videos, don't know if he edits FF7 Machin.

Update on the DBZ Abridged hiatus
Short version: the Cell Saga finale is in the works (1 and a half hour run time) but likely won't be out for the remainder of this year. Main series still on hiatus due to other projects taking priority and personal stuff. A DBCember countdown (video games edition) and special will be out in December though.

Hells dub is coming soon, and Hellsing Abridged is next month (whether it's just one episode or two is anyone's guess)

Oh right. And they're making a new channel (Bento) for new non-DBZA stuff.

Ray Down

Banned
They've made no mention of it recently, they're prepping their channel for addition non-DBZ content, and the finale of the Cell Saga looks to be the longest and biggest episodes they've done. Like a send off. YouTube is also making their lives hard with DBZ content.

All of this is just speculation on your part.

Dragon Ball abridged is popular enough to keep it going if they want on their own site. it may take longer than ever to do, but if they have the love and effort to do it, they will.

Zubz

Banned
I'm kind of getting the feeling they aren't doing Buu

Same here. That said, it seems like we're getting Bojack after DBCember (They didn't say what the special was, but it's next in line, they mentioned it in Broly, & have been joking about it from early in the series through a recent mini-mash-up with the other Bojack on Facebook) & then they follow up with the Cell Saga's Finale, which will be 1 and a half hours long, and hopefully leads to yet another necro of that Gohan Killing Cell thread.

It sounds like the team has a lot of projects lined up that they can actually profit off of, & allow them to develop as VA's & writers. Quite frankly, I'm happy they're getting this opportunity. So long as we work in the Hellsing finale, I'm fine with them leaving the Abridged game after that, Bojack (Not that one), & the Cell Saga. And maybe a 3rd Kai.

I definitely have to thank them for all their hard work either way. Hopefully the hiatus isn't all health issues, since it sounds like they have a lot under wraps. But it also seemed like KaiserNeko was winded at times just during that video; if something's going on there (Which it seems like it), I wish him the healthiest & a speedy recovery.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Zubz

Banned
All of this is just speculation on your part.

Dragon Ball abridged is popular enough to keep it going if they want on their own site. it may take longer than ever to do, but if they have the love and effort to do it, they will.

They also barely make any money off of it, & DBZA takes up as much time as a job despite it using characters they don't even have the rights to by its nature as a parody. The Buu Saga is by far the meatiest part of the series, as well. The other major issue is that, while making the Cell Saga, the Dragon Ball series became active again. It's fantastic for us as fans, but it also means Toei is going harder on any unlicensed material, which they appear to view DBZA as being. Between that & YouTube's copyright shenanigans, they can barely get the old stuff on there, & TFS supposedly got in trouble just for doing shorts using Super content.

The Cell Saga was meant to be DBZ's finale, & I'm sure the TFS team realized that. Rather than push forward through Buu, I think they've decided it'd be better if they move on. They can make money off of Hells (Also not that one), since that's a genuine dub instead of a non-profit, fan-based parody. They deserve more credit for what they do. They have love, they have effort, but the fact they stuck with an Abridged Series for 10 years is incredible. The only other one I knew of that kept going in the past 5 years was Yu-Gi-Oh!, and that was the codifier! But in the end, people tend to move on.

... Also this, apparently. That seems a lot more blatant.

I'm sure like that OTHER attempt to re-edit DBZ into a more digestible form that ended at Cell that they'll go back and do Buu after it's replacement fails. :p

Seriously, though, even if it ends with Ep. 60, DBZA will still stand as probably the best Abridged Series ever made, an amazing companion piece to it's source material and just a damn fun show in it's own right. All involved should be proud of their accomplishments, and I hope they're just as successful in whatever comes next for them.

The Cell Saga was meant to be DBZ's finale

False.

Capella

It will be disappointing if they aren't able to do the Buu saga but I completely understand why just based on the info they are able to tell us, particularly the youtube and Toei stuff. I've branched out into watching their non-DBZA content so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in the future.

Zubz

Banned
I'm sure like that OTHER attempt to re-edit DBZ into a more digestible form that ended at Cell that they'll go back and do Buu after it's replacement fails. :p

Seriously, though, even if it ends with Ep. 60, DBZA will still stand as probably the best Abridged Series ever made, an amazing companion piece to it's source material and just a damn fun show in it's own right. All involved should be proud of their accomplishments, and I hope they're just as successful in whatever comes next for them.

False.

Huh. I was originally quoting because I didn't know what you were referring to, but that link answered my question (I didn't see a need to watch Kai when it came out so I didn't know it ended with Cell. I just thought everything about Gohan fighting Cell felt conclusive & that everything after was Toriyama trying to add onto a finished story, much like GT was supposed to be). Thanks for clearing that up!

I know multiple people who never watched DBZ that watch DBZ:A, & then got into Super because of it. It totally works as its own thing, but it really has become an important part of the franchise, if only because it kept fan-interest alive long enough during a drought to get people excited for Kai, the post-Z movies, Super, & Xenoverse/DBZF.

And I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I'm totally fine with them skipping Buu. That was what got me to stop watching the original series.

Ray Down

Banned
Buu has way more stuff they can have fun with and do then Cell arc could EVER had provided imo.

Great Saiyaman alone they'd have so much fun with, Gohan in generally and his high school adventures, how they handle Videl and her relationship to Gohan especially with Dende around, Hercule whole character arc, Vegeta, a villain that is not some ego asshole with multiple forms with different personalities, Goten and Trunks, fusions, spirit bomb works for once Old Kai and most of all Shin useless ass.

Neoxon

It will be disappointing if they aren't able to do the Buu saga but I completely understand why just based on the info they are able to tell us, particularly the youtube and Toei stuff. I've branched out into watching their non-DBZA content so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in the future.
Agreed, hopefully they’ll be able to do the Buu Saga. If not, I can understand why.

Really, the worst thing about no Buu saga is that we don't get Funi returning the favor by letting their dub cast do DBZA's version of the Cell Games re-enactment.

I actually think the Buu Saga's way goofier tone actually gives them way less to work with.

I can definitely see the argument for this, especially with how they're currently struggling to make Mr. Satan really stand out from his canon incarnation, but there's still a bunch of classic dumb DBZ "drama" for them to work with and riff off too.

Zubz

Banned
I actually think the Buu Saga's way goofier tone actually gives them way less to work with.

That too. I mean, Mr. Satan is literally just as he is in canon, except with a couple of call-forwards to Videl prior to his reveal & the implication there was a period of time where he was homeless. That's just one comic relief character; all they might add is some slightly more-zinging responses to the weirdness of the saga.

I am fine with no Buu, since the massive tone shift was going to be an issue anyway. Also, this way, Goten being erased remains Abridged canon, which is amusing in its own right. Although that also means no WEN BROLY SECOND or WEN BIOBROLY which is a shame, but I'm just glad we're still getting an end to Cell. Being blue-balled at the end could be considered fitting, but does not resolve daddy- and dodge issues.

I was also wondering, after seeing a video on alt-right codings, if maybe they became aware of some unwanted associations and whether that weighed in on the hiatus.

caliph95

I am fine with no Buu, since the massive tone shift was going to be an issue anyway. Also, this way, Goten being erased remains Abridged canon, which is amusing in its own right. Although that also means no WEN BROLY SECOND or WEN BIOBROLY which is a shame, but I'm just glad we're still getting an end to Cell. Being blue-balled at the end could be considered fitting, but does not resolve daddy- and dodge issues.

I was also wondering, after seeing a video on alt-right codings, if maybe they became aware of some unwanted associations and whether that weighed in on the hiatus.
Goten is alive again due to senzu beans and multiverse theory

It's too bad they never got to redo the Saiyan saga to be more up to date. The series kind of starts in the Frieza saga for me, since the really old episodes are pretty dated.

Zubz

Banned
It's too bad they never got to redo the Saiyan saga to be more up to date. The series kind of starts in the Frieza saga for me, since the really old episodes are pretty dated.

Definitely. The Saiyan Saga felt like, well... An Abridged Series. The Frieza Saga is when it managed to build off of the material rather than just using it as a backdrop for a meme compilation.

Definitely. The Saiyan Saga felt like, well... An Abridged Series. The Frieza Saga is when it managed to build off of the material rather than just using it as a backdrop for a meme compilation.

It's very noticeable when you compare how the dialogue used to flow compared to now.

It's not a coincidence either. Vegeta3986 was one of the main writers during the Saiyan Saga and early Namek and then minute he's no longer part of the group, the writing changes and gets better. :p

Veelk

Banned
Has it ever been said what actually happened that made Vegeta3986 leave? All I ever heard was the ever-vague "creative differences"

Savitar

Not pleased with the news but what can ya do, I'm sure they're doing all they can. I'am one of those people who only care about their DBZ and Hellsing stuff so will take a wait and see approach to what happens with them overall.

Voror

I was honestly fine with the hiatus since I understood, but more updates are always nice. And I'm totally cool with them taking as much time as they need, especially in this case since they're finishing the season (and possibly series) on as large a finale as that.

Really happy to hear we'll be seeing the second season of FFVII soon.

On the subject of Buu, I'll definitely be bummed if they decide not to go forward with it, but it's completely understandable. Between the aforementioned problems with Toei and Youtube and the fact that they don't get any money out of it despite how much work goes into it, there's a ton of reasons not to move forward with it.

I'd always been curious about how they'd adapt that one though. You could probably do some fun, cute stuff with the High School/Saiyaman stuff and I feel they could probably do some great things with Vegeta in that arc. But it's also the longest arc of DBZ unless I'm mistaken. You probably could cut some stuff out though I'm not sure what exactly.

Justin Briner was the one set to voice Teen Gohan or at least so that one scene in Android 13 suggested, right? He's still voicing Cloud as well, isn't he?

Either way I wish them the best and hope to keep seeing more from them, which sounds to be the case.

Arrrammis

It sucks that they have to take this break, but it does make sense. They have already had to fight tooth and nail for any kind of income from DBZA and related properties, and they will run out of DBZ content eventually anyways. Taking a break like this will (hopefully) let them get a stable enough income that they won't have to push DBZA aside because of finances and they will have a reliable income after DBZA ends.

Sephzilla

Yeah I'm becoming less hopeful of them ever doing the Buu saga.

The fact that they still can't comment on what's going on, and the fact that they're still doing other stuff, makes me think it's some kind of legal issue with Toei or something. The only other thing I can even remotely speculate on is that, based on KaiserNeko's tweets, maybe there's an internal issue where one or two of the TFS guys want's to move on and start a bigger voice acting career while others want to finish DBZA.

Neoxon

Yeah I'm becoming less hopeful of them ever doing the Buu saga.

The fact that they still can't comment on what's going on, and the fact that they're still doing other stuff, makes me think it's some kind of legal issue with Toei or something. The only other thing I can even remotely speculate on is that, based on KaiserNeko's tweets, maybe there's an internal issue where one or two of the TFS guys want's to move on and start a bigger voice acting career while others want to finish DBZA.
The other stuff is being edited by people other than KaiserNeko. Even with Hellsing Ultimate, Kaiser handed editing duties to someone else.

MiTYH

If DBZA doesn't continue past the Cell saga, I'd be totally satified if they did the rest of the DBZ movies.

That's what I was thinking.

Buu saga and beyond is a time commitment, but a movie every now and then is much more managable (usually what, 20-30 min episode for a 1:30 movie?)

kewlmyc

I hope they don't cover Buu. Even abridging it would take at least a 7 year commitment, if they don't just rush through it (which is possible).

Just doing the movies would be fine.

Top Bottom