• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting closer to the list I'll be taking to GP Oakland:

jeskaiblackq5u03.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
5 delve spells is probably too many.

List seems fine otherwise.

^That list looks like it will go to time every single round :p
Dragonmaster ends games pretty quick. I'm just not a big fan of tapping out for Monastery Mentor and not playing Ojutai's Command in my deck. That card is the focal point of the whole strategy. I could see playing 4 Soulfires and some Roasts Team SCG-style, but the one-of creatures give my Commands a toolbox angle that I love. That said, I might need to go up to 3 Dragonmasters, which is a hard decision. It takes me a while to find them sometimes, but I also don't want to be stuck with them in hand early on.

5 delve spells is probably too many.

List seems fine otherwise.
With 14 fetchlands and 24 spells it hasn't been a problem. Every once in a while I cast Dig on turn 3 lol

Having a good amount of Delve spells is actually pretty important. My spells are relatively mana-hungry and I need to cast two spells on turn 5/6 as often as possible because this deck isn't great at clearing multiple threats.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You have enough removal I'd seriously consider just running Tasigur over additional removal if you really wanted Delve spells there.

You have enough removal I'd seriously consider just running Tasigur over additional removal if you really wanted Delve spells there.

Can't buy it back with Ojutai's Command. That's the main reason I don't, since I'm not a huge fan of Kolaghan's Command in general right now. I used to have two Tasigurs, then I replaced them with two Fathom Feeders(before ultimately cutting a creature to make room for more draw spells) since they serve basically the same purpose in blocking and drawing cards. Except Fathom Feeder is great against Abzan Aggro because it doesn't get blown out by Dromoka's Command or Abzan Charm. It's a much slower clock, but win conditions are the secondary goal in control decks. Tasigur's ability is great in this deck, and it's better than Feeder's, but it's not enough to sell me on the card right now.

Besides, Feeder has synergy with Jace Emblems :p

I'm not opposed to a Tasigur or two in the sideboard for aggressive matchups since I cut the digs against red decks, but the deck just doesn't really need the help in that matchup.

The main things I've had problems with are planeswalkers and 3CMC creatures with 4+ toughness.

Angry Grimace

You can't buy back Murderous Cut either and Tasigur can get Dragonmaster Outcast into the yard though. I'd probably just throw in one in place of a Cut, but its your list. I just think Tasigur has a way better impact than an extra Cut does.

As for PW, I've been running 3 Utter Ends in some of my decks. 4 mana is a lot, but Utter End is good against every deck and even rogue decks with weird wincons.

As for PW, I've been running 3 Utter Ends in some of my decks. 4 mana is a lot, but Utter End is good against every deck and even rogue decks with weird wincons.

Yeah, but if I go up to 3 Utter Ends that's 7 4CMC spells and my deck gets too slow. It's already hard to use my mana efficiently in the midgame and even Ojutai's Command is weaker on the draw.

I have considered going up to 3 Negates, however, since it kills Gideon pretty efficiently and more and more people are playing Painful Truths.

I might have to adjust my sideboard so I can break serve in the midrange matchups more easily.

Angry Grimace

The deck I'm doing that in is straight up Esper Dragons to be fair.

Firemind

lol the one time i try to force mono red someone else is taking the red cards

edit: joraga treespeaker, noble hierarch, eternal witness wheel. what is going on?

Angry Grimace

* It's way overcosted. At 9 mana that guy wouldn't even see play in Limited because it has no real value other than winning the game if nobody has Doom Blade. But there are very few cards that cost 9 mana that don't win the game if unanswered.

* Related to the first point, both of the abilities you've put on this guy are conditional for no real reason other than using your ability word - at 9 mana, Menace and Trample should be base abilities, and there's no real reason why your ability word is stapled on to it since nothing the card inherently does affects it. There's no reason why the attack trigger would require you to turn off its damage dealing ability, really.

* Menace is out of color pie.

* It feels a lot like Lorthos, the Tidemaker stapled onto Tromokratis. It just doesn't really feel all that Mythic.

Ashodin

* It's way overcosted. At 9 mana that guy wouldn't even see play in Limited because it has no real value other than winning the game if nobody has Doom Blade. But there are very few cards that cost 9 mana that don't win the game if unanswered.

* Related to the first point, both of the abilities you've put on this guy are conditional for no real reason other than using your ability word - at 9 mana, Menace and Trample should be base abilities, and there's no real reason why your ability word is stapled on to it since nothing the card inherently does affects it. There's no reason why the attack trigger would require you to turn off its damage dealing ability, really.

* It feels a lot like Lorthos, the Tidemaker stapled onto Tromokratis. It just doesn't really feel all that Mythic.
Looking at your notes, it seems I have work to do understanding what to put at top end. Thanks a lot!

I've changed the CMC to 7 and the PT to 8/8, and also changed menace to shroud. Now you have to creatively find a way to lower his P/T without directly hitting it.

edit: new cards

cH9izBc.png
r1LtDoY.png

If you sacrifice the blade at end of turn when quick drawing, the toughness boost will be irrelevant. When the equipment goes away, any damage the creature took will still be there, potentially causing it to die when it otherwise wouldn't have if the equipment had stayed on the field.

I don't know of a way to avoid this problem.

Ashodin

I may be in the minority here but I really wish there was a lot less card creation in this thread.

I can certainly stop, but it's really up to other people - I feel personally it brings more discussion to normally a dead thread outside of people talking about their decklists and such.

OnPoint

I dunno about that land. Two life seems like an awful high price to pay for it coming into play untapped, especially when it just gets nullified by Blood Moon. I mean, it's cool that it has basic land types, but I don't think it would see much play.

ultron87

If you sacrifice the blade at end of turn when quick drawing, the toughness boost will be irrelevant. When the equipment goes away, any damage the creature took will still be there, potentially causing it to die when it otherwise wouldn't have if the equipment had stayed on the field.

It'd have to trigger at the Cleanup step like they had to change Armor of Thorns to do.

I think card creation for a custom set is fine while we're in Community, but it might be best to hold off on it during the time we're in Off Topic.

Concerning the damage issue, here's how the "instant aura" cards from Mirage are currently written.
Image.ashx

So the equipment could be sacrificed during the cleanup step.

Anyway, Ashodin, since you're creating a full-blown set, have you been following the advice from MaRo's Nuts & Bolts series?

Ashodin

I think card creation for a custom set is fine while we're in Community, but it might be best to hold off on it during the time we're in Off Topic.

Concerning the damage issue, here's how the "instant aura" cards from Mirage are currently written.
Image.ashx

Anyway, Ashodin, since you're creating a full-blown set, have you been following the advice from MaRo's Nuts & Bolts series?

No, I hadn't come across that, reading now.

And yes, this lull between spoiler/OT talk is exactly the reason why I've been posting - to introduce more talk on a design level. I wouldn't dare introduce stuff like this during mainline posts. It would clog the discussion then.

Wulfric

I can certainly stop, but it's really up to other people - I feel personally it brings more discussion to normally a dead thread outside of people talking about their decklists and such.

No, by all means keep going. I think they're interesting to see. It's slow in Magic right now, and you're pretty much the only one who is posting custom cards. Might as well do it before the barrage known as spoiler season.

Although I like Sacred Foundry a lot, very cool card. :p

Angry Grimace

Image.ashx

The Mirage cycle is only templated that way to make sure it has the same functionality it did when it came out because I don't think you could flash it in endstep and keep it around for the combat phase next turn the way most effects work now.

I don't think they would write a new card to even reference the cleanup step these days.

Ashodin

I actually think I like that tradeoff.

Images to be used in the Oath of the Gatewatch OT. I don't see a need to repost the entire thing, since few other adjustments have been made by this point.

JQc4H9l.png

UJZLcI8.jpg

GehVWe9.jpg

Angry Grimace

Add a FAQ that only contains the question "Where's Emrakul" and then don't answer it.

ultron87

I actually think I like that tradeoff.
I think the problem with that is the a lot of people would play that wrong either by letting the creature survive or, and this is worse, one player casting it to save their creature, and then at the end of turn their opponent goes "well actually..." for the ultimate feel bad. That feels like a thing that should be designed around.

Yeef

Just post the Shadows Over Innistrad logo

re: feelbads - I removed the toughness.
What about changing it to a bloodrush style ability rather than a quick-equip. It removes the interaction with artifact removal, but plays a lot better over all.

Quickdraw - 3, Discard this card, target creature you control gets +X/+1 until end of turn and gains <ability>." Gettign rid of toughness bonuses on all the quickdraw equipment seems weirder to me than not being able to naturalize it.

blackflag

Somehow I won the first 2 vintage matches I've ever played today. I'll assume they were terrible players. I think one was storm and the other was dredge. Wasn't really sure what to counter and what to not bother with in the storm deck but I got it right.

Angry Grimace

Somehow I won the first 2 vintage matches I've ever played today. I'll assume they were terrible players. I think one was storm and the other was dredge. Wasn't really sure what to counter and what to not bother with in the storm deck but I got it right.
If you have Flusterstorm, just counter Tendrils lmao

I'll dispute this. It's never been said, but I bet bleeding Menace onto giant monsters is totally defensible and in-pie.

I may be in the minority here but I really wish there was a lot less card creation in this thread.

Yeah, it's too bad that some of us like Magic, but don't necessarily give a shit about, or want to talk exclusively about sanctioned play. Maybe the OP should have in big bold letters "SERIOUS MAGIC DISCUSSION ONLY, PLEASE"

That post right there is why I find this thread to be a semi-hostile place.

kirblar

Ashodin

GP Oakland will have the first OGW 2HG sealed before the prerelease that following week, great time to see how the format works

Helene is a class act for being willing to be interviewed and is just in general one of the better communicators working for WotC; it's a shame they've got her shilling the shit sandwich that is their scattershot disciplinary action in this situation.

duxstar

Lol the more I read the more I realize that mtgo is bad because wizards is just a hot mess at the top. The interview with Helene was almost cringeworthy at points.

Lol the more I read the more I realize that mtgo is bad because wizards is just a hot mess at the top. The interview with Helene was almost cringeworthy at points.

I'm friends with a guy who used to work there in a fairly high position, and I can confirm that this is the case. No one really knows what they're doing, least of all the Magic Online team. I don't remember any specific stories, but his tone was always one of extreme frustration and bewilderment when talking about the company's ineptitude

I'm friends with a guy who used to work there in a fairly high position, and I can confirm that this is the case. No one really knows what they're doing, least of all the Magic Online team. I don't remember any specific stories, but his tone was always one of extreme frustration and bewilderment when talking about the company's ineptitude

R&D is literally the only team that has their shit together over there.

R&D is literally the only team that has their shit together over there.

To be fair, their logistics are solid; the product is always distributed on time and there's typically enough of it (limited-run products aren't logistics's fault). And I assume their accounting and finance departments are competent enough, since they're neither out of business nor under investigation. But anything dealing with technology or with the public... yeah.

y2dvd

Custom cards are fine. I like looking at those beautiful artwork! But this thread is surprisingly always active regardless of "dead" season. :p

jph139

I feel like the big issue is that Wizards still operates like it's a mid-size gaming company in the mid-90s, when they're actually part of a massive, 21st century corporation. These sorts of issues would have been understandable 20 years ago, but today?

Hero

I'll dispute this. It's never been said, but I bet bleeding Menace onto giant monsters is totally defensible and in-pie.

Yeah, it's too bad that some of us like Magic, but don't necessarily give a shit about, or want to talk exclusively about sanctioned play. Maybe the OP should have in big bold letters "SERIOUS MAGIC DISCUSSION ONLY, PLEASE"

That post right there is why I find this thread to be a semi-hostile place.

Comparing my post to yours and you consider what I wrote as hostile?

Comparing my post to yours and you consider what I wrote as hostile?

Just hit a nerve, is all. Not that your post is particularly hostile, it just reinforces the attitude that often disincentivises me to post in this thread, the lone Magic thread on the one forum I actively post on. I hate feeling like I'm threadjacking whenever I want to contribute something just because custom cards, EDH and occasionally cube is the only way I interact with the game.

You could have the equipment get sacced at the beginning of the next upkeep.

Might be a decent fix. It'll be a tricky mechanic anyhow. That reminder text (which I think is pretty important to include) will really eat up the space on the card before any abilities are added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom