• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What did the magicjudges.org site do? What service did they provide to WOTC, and how does its discontinuation affect them?

"This is where judges apply to be staffed to events, up to and including GPs. This is, in fact, the only place where we can do that, aside from a personal conversation with the TO. Not to mention reviews, reports, etc. Also, L2 maintenance forms are due and a lot of judges have been dragging their feet on them, and this site collates them. I am lucky I got mine in on time. Without Judge Apps, there's no way to staff any event. If this isn't back up in a matter of days events are going to start getting cancelled."

Jesus. So WOTC can't exactly just ignore this, then.

Pretty delicious.

"This is where judges apply to be staffed to events, up to and including GPs. This is, in fact, the only place where we can do that, aside from a personal conversation with the TO. Not to mention reviews, reports, etc. Also, L2 maintenance forms are due and a lot of judges have been dragging their feet on them, and this site collates them. I am lucky I got mine in on time. Without Judge Apps, there's no way to staff any event. If this isn't back up in a matter of days events are going to start getting cancelled."

Yeef

It's the site where judge teams for big events are recruited, organized, and communicated to. Also has stuff like peer reviews for judges and discussion topics.

Basically if there's a big event that's going to happen that needs a bunch of judges the TO finds a judge manager and then that judge uses JudgeApps to put up recruitment post that describes the events, compensation for it, and other details. People that want to judge it then put in applications.
It also helped to train and notify judges of any policy changes in the MTR and IPG since, as far as I know, Wizards never directly puts up a changelog. If you wanted to know about the changes, you'd either have to reread the documents or just visit magicjudges.org for a summary.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
If I have time tomorrow, I'm going to write an article on this whole fiasco. This is some basic stuff they're getting horribly wrong.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Goddamn this is the actual worst Cube deck I've drafted. I was paying way too much attention to my dog trying to steal my lunch than draft and it shows. The deck has Bitterblossom/Clamp, but there's nothing terribly good to draw into.

Neoweee

I looked at Wizards website just now to see what you had to do to become a judge.

The links are broken...

... because they point to Judge Apps.

Crocodile

I'm still not entirely sure what's going on but the below seems like an accurate description of the past.......month(?) in the MTG community:

tumblr_m2bp9oyZT61r2sqylo1_500.gif

ElyrionX

I looked at Wizards website just now to see what you had to do to become a judge.

The links are broken...

... because they point to Judge Apps.

Absolutely hilarious. It's amazing how incompetent WotC really is. I've said before I can't be surprised anymore by how poorly managed they are but they just keep surprising me. It's pretty clear the various departments in there don't talk much to one another.

kirblar

Absolutely hilarious. It's amazing how incompetent WotC really is. I've said before I can't be surprised anymore by how poorly managed they are but they just keep surprising me. It's pretty clear the various departments in there don't talk much to one another.
Multiple products have the wrong land art displayed in packaging.

Angry Grimace

I feel like ramp and reanimator are open way too often which results in me drafting Craterhoof Behemoth constantly. I guess I should give reanimator a try in the Cube, but ramp is such an easy deck to build and win with even if you don't draw into Natural Order since there's so many 4-6 mana bomby green targets.

For what it's worth, Vintage Cube is pretty much my favorite experience in all of Magic. So fun to do crazy bullshit.

Firemind

But then you can't play blue.

Reanimator is top tier for sure. You just need Griselbrand.

Edit: Ha! Beat the storm deck in the first round. Sweet irony.

Is it wrong that I've been at Disneyland for the past week and been jealous of you guys cubing?

Also I'm really fed up with WotC right now and seriously considering taking a sabbatical...but there's cube...

Angry Grimace

But then you can't play blue.

Reanimator is top tier for sure. You just need Griselbrand.

Edit: Ha! Beat the storm deck in the first round. Sweet irony.

I mean, I've done real well with blue too, but its funny to me that the most obvious synergistic decks don't get taken at all.

Firemind

Is it wrong that I've been at Disneyland for the past week and been jealous of you guys cubing?

Also I'm really fed up with WotC right now and seriously considering taking a sabbatical...but there's cube...
Why are you going to Disneyland every year? :lol

If it makes you feel better, I got stomped by Channel in the second round. I even tapped his land on t2, but then he went Fastbond, land, land, Channel gg.

Angry Grimace

If it makes you feel better, I got stomped by Channel in the second round. I even tapped his land on t2, but then he went Fastbond, land, land, Channel gg.

I played a guy first round with 3 moxen. I still won!

Firemind

Channel again! sonuvagun...

Edit: I'm in the same queue as Caleb! Hype!

Edit2: Library. Grim Monolith or Treachery? shiiiiiiii

Edit3: Karn third pick second pack yooooooooo

Turns out little girls love Disneyland. And when you go once, they start sending you deals to get you to keep coming back. *shrug*
Plus I fucking love Disney :p

I only really wish I was cubing while standing in line. I've spent so many cube drafts worth of time in line....

Firemind

Turns out little girls love Disneyland. And when you go once, they start sending you deals to get you to keep coming back. *shrug*
Plus I fucking love Disney :p

I only really wish I was cubing while standing in line. I've spent so many cube drafts worth of time in line....
Say hi to Gaston for me!

Angry Grimace

Channel again! sonuvagun...

Edit: I'm in the same queue as Caleb! Hype!

Edit2: Library. Grim Monolith or Treachery? shiiiiiiii

Edit3: Karn third pick second pack yooooooooo

There's a ton of cards people just pass for no reason - I've gotten Karn, Sol Ring, Moxen, Library, Skullclamp all way late in drafts.

Firemind

Okay there's literally zero reason Sol Ring should be passed to you. Time Vault isn't even in the cube!

You must be in the swiss queues.

Angry Grimace

I'm not doubting your claim. I'm doubting the sanity of your fellow drafters.

I mean, I can almost understand it from a casual perspective - you don't see how 2 colorless is great. But I had a guy pass me Mox Sapphire too.

Firemind

I hate it when my opponents topdeck Vindicate to kill my Karn when I just stripped their hands with Mind Twist...

You know, mono red seemed super open in all my drafts. Hmmmm.........

Edit: Get paired against mono red in the first round. The irony.

Ashodin

Trying to come up with unique designs for my first custom set in a long while (the stuff you guys have been commenting on).

I'm probably going to add cleave to the list of mechanics, a new combat trick that basically says "if you block with more than one dude this combat on my guy, they all get hit for full damage".

Needless to say, first strike + cleave + make everything block (Breaker of Armies) becomes stupidly powerful, but that's so many pieces of the combo you have to setup.

I've currently keyworded it as such:

Cleave (This creature deals combat damage equal to its power to all creatures blocking it.)

My initial draft of the mechanic was way too stronk; it dealt damage to everything that was being blocked this turn (even things not in direct combat with the creature)! Way too strong.

ultron87

Is that really worth keywording? It won't do anything most of the time. It is like Rampage. Double blocking comes up so rarely that it's going to not matter in the majority of games. And it'll happen even less if your opponent can see that creature has that ability.

Ashodin

Is that really worth keywording? It won't do anything most of the time. It is like Rampage. Double blocking comes up so rarely that it's going to not matter in the majority of games. And it'll happen even less if your opponent can see that creature has that ability.

First strike does nothing to a player - but it has interactions beyond that (when this creature deals damage, etc).

I can reword it to hit up to 2 extra creatures when it deals damage, giving it effectively splash damage.

edit: thinking on it, 2 extra beyond the first is way too powerful. I've worded it such:

Cleave (This creature deals combat damage equal to its power to up to one target creature.)

One extra creature in combat gets hit regardless of blocking (the power of the cleave baby!) and still works when the player doesn't block. Since cleave does a target, you can protect it from damage like normal.

Now, it seems like it's really good, but it's only meant to be on things that are mythic/rare. You won't see too many high power creatures with it. It's kind of like double strike in that sense.

First strike does nothing to a player - but it has interactions beyond that (when this creature deals damage, etc).

I can reword it to hit up to 2 extra creatures when it deals damage, giving it effectively splash damage.

edit: thinking on it, 2 extra beyond the first is way too powerful. I've worded it such:

Cleave (This creature deals combat damage equal to its power to up to one target creature.)

One extra creature in combat gets hit regardless of blocking (the power of the cleave baby!) and still works when the player doesn't block. Since cleave does a target, you can protect it from damage like normal.

Now, it seems like it's really good, but it's only meant to be on things that are mythic/rare. You won't see too many high power creatures with it. It's kind of like double strike in that sense.

If it's going only on rare creatures, is it worth being made a keyword instead of just a normal ability? And do you really want it on more than one creature? It seems more like something you'd want on just one big creature. You compare it to double strike, but there's usually only one or two double strike creatures in a set.

Cleave Hellion - 4RR
Creature - Hellion
Trample
Whenever Cleave Hellion attacks, it deals damage equal to its power to target creature defending player controls.
1R: Cleave Hellion gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
4/4

Ashodin

1) it cleans up templating by introducing a mechanic that can be understood easily

2) It allows me to make creatures/equipment/auras that grant cleave.

The theme of the set is equipment/battlefield, with a small subtheme of white is permutating the other colors with mechanics (to be fully blown out in the small second set).

Cleave fits into the battlefield theme, and also satisfies my desire to introduce new ideas not currently being used.

kirblar

They've made clear what was implied in earlier statements: https://t.co/jlne1inyZh

(Also, everything really should be passing through Helene at this point re: PR, cause she's like the only person there who seems to be any good at it besides MaRo.)

Ashodin

Yeah it was in my understanding that they didn't slap them with bans because of just BFZ - but that it was previous sets being leaked ahead of time and they did nothing to report it which was what they got them for.

Angry Grimace

I hate it when my opponents topdeck Vindicate to kill my Karn when I just stripped their hands with Mind Twist...

You know, mono red seemed super open in all my drafts. Hmmmm.........

Edit: Get paired against mono red in the first round. The irony.
Some dude tried to Char me through Craterhoof. It didn't work.

Calling this "theft" and "sharing of stolen property" sounds absurd to me.

Helene's statement reads like a desperate attempt to patch up a PR nightmare to me, but that's likely because of the fact that it came after the fact. They really need to get ahead of the curve and put these sorts of statements out in step with announcements.

Wulfric

Is it just me, or are cards starting to take forever to receive on Pucatrade? I'm in the US and I've been waiting on a single copy of Vendilion Clique and Dark Confidant for two weeks. These cards are moving at a glacial pace. >_>

Yeef

Is it just me, or are cards starting to take forever to receive on Pucatrade? I'm in the US and I've been waiting on a single copy of Vendilion Clique and Dark Confidant for two weeks. These cards are moving at a glacial pace. >_>
It's the holiday season.I don't know what shipping provider pucatrade uses, but this time of year all of them tend to get bogged down.

noquarter

Damn just catching up on the drama through this thread, some good stuff. Really not liking how WotC is handling this leak (or apparently other leaks that we didn't see) at all. I get they want to protect their cards for them to reveal, but they should step back and look at how juvenile they come off. I wouldn't be surprised if they could fight this as theft in court but it really sounds whiny.

I'll still play but they really are trying to get me to stay away from any of their official messaging. And as I found out last year, not reading that makes it a lot easier to just stop playing and buying packs. Even if there is the chance at pulling a probably $200 full art Wasteland.

Didn't New Phyrexia have a worse prerelease attendance than expected precisely because all of its cards were leaked early? That was considered a well-designed set.

Yes, NPH pretty much proved that comprehensive leaks (and the resulting elimination of spoiler season) has a real monetary impact on the set's performance.

Is this as funny to anyone else as it is to me?

Utterly hilarious.

Ashodin

I'm putting my cards up slowly on legendrule.tumblr.com, so you can check there for new stuff outside this thread (as well as on customcards mtg subreddit).

But the official set name will now be Paladium.

56rzsqL.png

I'm putting my cards up slowly on legendrule.tumblr.com, so you can check there for new stuff outside this thread (as well as on customcards mtg subreddit).

But the official set name will now be Paladium.

56rzsqL.png

Looking at the two cards you put up there,
tumblr_nzqhsifGbj1v2vwxho1_400.png
tumblr_nzp3u7SGTn1v2vwxho1_400.png

First, you seem to be using the old threshold format for battleworn. Note that in the Gatherer text, threshold is just an ability word and the meaning is written out in normal text. So Jerich should read:
Battleworn -- When Jerich enters the battlefield, if there are three or more artifact cards in your graveyard, then attach all Equipment on the battlefield to it. (Control of the Equipment doesn't change.)

Second, battleworn seems difficult to trigger. With metalcraft, you could use spells to get artifact tokens instead of having to rely solely on artifact cards, but the use of the graveyard here means that you must use actual artifact cards in your deck. In order to get three artifact cards in a normal game, even with a lot of self-mill, you'd need a lot of artifacts in your deck, which means that your set would need a lot of artifact cards. Spell mastery only required two instant or sorcery cards in your graveyard, something that appears in every color and with a card type that naturally puts itself in the graveyard, and it was still often the case that you wouldn't actually get spell mastery active.

I would suggest testing battleworn to check for maybe even just one artifact card.

EDIT: You know what would be great cards for Modern? Aluren and Force of Will.

Ashodin

Thanks for the feedback. The set is fluid in design, so any extra eyes on it are helpful.

And yes, the set has a LOT of equipment in it at every rarity.

edit: update to the lightbringer mechanic - it now lets you cast the creature as flash, changes the color, and adds the counter. However, its cost is now WWW to make it harder but more rewarding when you do cast the Lightbringer cost.

FIU0poq.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom