• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*That* Geoff Keighley interview with Reggie 'My Body Is Not Ready' Fils-Aime

But his Ubisoft interview was terrible, like a star-struck fanboi. Very strange to see him change to quickly in between interviewees.

In the last year, my respect towards Keighley has grown immensely. Last year I thought he was just some douche suck-up. Now he's actually doing some cool journalist stuff. Props to the dude.

sun-drop

the trick is to get in the tough questions while giving a little flex so the interview doesn't grind to a hault/stand off ... geoff does that awesomely well

sphinx

the piano man
I can't see those videos in my laptop but if he didn't ask about xenoblade, last story and pikmin, they can go fuck themselves, both of them.

I think Reggie couldn't take the interview seriously from a guy that works for SpikeTV. Right after the interview, the GtTV E3 coverage commercial had all dudebro shooters and booth babes.

farnham

Banned
Fjordson said:
You're saying Reggie comes across as unintelligent and a bad speaker to you? I get the complete opposite impression whenever I hear him talk.
as i say he is skilled

but he comes off as an empty robot that repeats the badly written company line which was given to him an hour before e3 started by iwatas secretarys secretary

DMeisterJ

Banned
thecouncil said:
its disappointing that spike tv isnt playing keighley's coverage but is instead playing reruns of terrible shows. g4 coverage is a nightmare to watch in comparison.

I've actively avoided G4 coverage this year, and I've never been happier.

Shurs

SalsaShark said:
people hate Geoff or something?

he might just be the best and most professional journalist out there

He's the Executive Producer for the Spike VGAs, so...

Kikujiro

Fjordson said:
You're saying Reggie comes across as unintelligent and a bad speaker to you? I get the complete opposite impression whenever I hear him talk.

In this interview he sounds like every other PR.

Fjordson

farnham said:
but he comes off as an empty robot that repeats the badly written company line which was given to him an hour before e3 started by iwatas secretarys secretary
You're probably not wrong. He does seem to be a lot better than most other higher ups at all of this, though.

claviertekky said:
Geoff: Now so did you guys basically admit this morning that the Wii wasn't successful with core gamers?

Reggie: Absolutely not! We've sold over 86 million units across the world.

Geoff: Right.

Reggie: That... by achieving that level of effectiveness, we're not constrained to any one particular consumer segment.

Geoff: You're saying this could be even bigger. You should be saying you missed out some people for the Wii.

Reggie: What I'm saying is that there has been some fantastic content that has not come to our platform.

Geoff: Right.

Reggie: Third party publishers have told us that the reason they couldn't bring it to our platform was based on the the horsepower of the machine.

That excuse is gone.

So now, all of the best content from third party publishers can come to the machine.

------

Later, in part 3, Reggie gets a bit flustered at Geoff when asked about online and says that the Wii consumers ones today are different from the ones who bought it at launch.

------

Nintendo will supposedly say a lot more in the coming days regarding its online functionality, which has been a problem in comparison to XBL/PSN.

I was confused why he would use console sales to measure effectiveness with core gamers. We only buy a console once or so.

J-Rock

Banned
perryfarrell said:
But his Ubisoft interview was terrible, like a star-struck fanboi. Very strange to see him change to quickly in between interviewees.

He plays favorites. Geoff flat out said during E3 that he thinks Sony has better first party games than Nintendo. So it's obvious where his preference is.

Either way, I like that he put the pressure on Reggie because I want some new info.

Here's a quote from him that underlines Nintendo's philosophy

First, how do you satisfy the core while still expanding appeal? And second, how do you leverage your strengths against entirely untapped audiences--to the so-called "blue oceans" in popular marketing speak? ... Provide a new product that actually underperforms on an established industry metric for "progress," and substitute an alternative that typically is smaller, less expensive and easier to use. Initially, the "core" of any industry will scoff. But if the product is right, enough new users will be attracted to form an alternative definition for progress

Withnail

It's a decent interview by usual gaming industry standards but anybody who really thinks this was a tough and confrontational interview should try watching some UK political shows. :)

Effect

FoneBone said:
Fair enough, but I'm skeptical that there are nearly enough Wii owners who want PS3/360 franchises but don't own a PS3 or 360 to make that a viable market.

Possible that many have gotten PS3s or 360s. I'm one of them but I really didn't want to if I didn't have to. I'd say 70% or maybe a little more of the IPs I'm interested in tend to be on the Wii or are Nintendo published. If I can have a Nintendo console that has their games but doesn't make me miss out on multiplatforms that are the same as the other systems I'd gladly buy it and buy those games on the Nintendo platform as I like to centralize my gaming on one unit when possible. That might be fanboyish but don't think so. Most PS3 and 360 first party IPs don't interest me. So those systems aren't gotten for those.

I agree this isn't really about pulling PS3 or 360 owners but stopping people from going to them or to draw those back that might have gotten other consoles because those games were simply missing on the Wii. Combine that with the new gamers they have been trying to advance to more complicated titles with their bridge games and their market share should be okay if this works out in the end.

apana

He didn't ask Sony very tough questions. Still I didn't think this interview was exactly that combatative.

GLopez12

Neo Member
The sad thing is I honestly can't get myself to give him that much credit because what he's doing is just so basic. He's what every average journalist should be.

I'm saying that as a real journalist, by the way.

User33 said:
That wasn't acting.

WOW

2iag22g.jpg

Fjordson

Kikujiro said:
In this interview he sounds like every other PR.
I don't mean that I'm buying into everything he says, I'm not really big on Nintendo stuff in general to be honest, I just think he's a pretty decent frontman for these big shows and whatnot.

Roxas

Geoff was spot on to ask the tough questions there. Nintendo gave us pretty much no details about the console in the conference and people wanted to know. So whats the problem? Either do the conference properly, or face the tough questions later.

Ros8105

Mortrialus said:
About to watch the interview, but I have to say, Geoff is and always will be a complete and total tool.
Why is he a tool?

GLopez12 said:
The sad thing is I honestly can't get myself to give him that much credit because what he's doing is just so basic. He's what every average journalist should be.

lol.

Withnail

GLopez12 said:

^agreed. It's unfortunately a sad indictment of games journalism that this interview is considered remarkable.

Ketch

I don't know about you guys, but I think Reggie is really good at his job. Maybe I'm just out of touch, but I can't think of a rep from MS or Sony that give interviews like this.

Seda

EvilMario said:
Geoff was practically dryhumping Jack Tretton earlier today, now this.

Even though the manner of that interview was very different, we got some useful information from it.

Fjordson said:
I don't know what it is, but Reggie always seems like one smooth mother fucker to me (not quite as much in this interview, but yeah). Don't even agree with everything he says, but the dude knows how to conversate.

Anyways, really good interview.

I agree, when asked a difficult question he is very careful in the way he words his response, I guess that's why he has that job.

Kintaco

Really? You guys think he asked "though" questions? I'm at part 3 but I've seen nothing great in terms of interviewing skills and asking tough questions.

User33 said:
He already did, sucked up to him the whole time. The only "tough" question he asked was whether Microsoft was still planning on creating Kinectless games.

:(

disappointing. some journalist needs to rip MS a new one after that presser

GLopez12

Neo Member
Kintaco said:
Really? You guys think he asked "though" questions? I'm at part 3 but I've seen nothing great in terms of interviewing skills and asking tough questions.
That is basically what I'm talking about. We hold these people to such a low standard because websites like IGN, GameSpot and GiantBomb are commonplace with some of the worst examples of journalism.

hyduK

Banned
Kintaco said:
He did alright, tbh. Reggie doesn't give him any room.

styl3s

About time geoff goes "hard" in a interview, still don't like him, he comes off as a pretentious douche.

clav

funkystudent said:
:(

disappointing. some journalist needs to rip MS a new one after that presser
What? Have people forgotten XBLA and other games aside from Kinect and the past years' games?

Top Bottom