• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*That* Geoff Keighley interview with Reggie 'My Body Is Not Ready' Fils-Aime

tiff

Banned
Shurs said:
Why not try to elevate the way people look at the medium?

Why show such little respect for your audience?

I, for one, would like to see video games looked at as more than toys or time-wasters.

As I said in my first post in this thread, I think Keighley is very capable, but he often encompasses most of what I don't like about the press.
Wait, so your problem with him is that he sees video games as toys?

Reggie mentions that the console will be competitively priced. I don't see how that's possible. Even if Wii U launches somehow at $300 Sony and Microsoft will undoubtedly undercut them with a price drop.

DaBuddaDa

Chao said:
Geoff fucking hated the WiiU reveal and it shows. Right after the conference finished he said how disappointed he felt about it, the lack of Smash Bros or other Nintendo games for the Wii U or online plans etc.
People were expecting Nintendo's 2012 conference this year. Remember folks, there are almost always two E3s before a new console launches; the first E3 the new console is shown and their "vision" is explained. It's during the second E3 the year later that the explosion of games and videos and media and dates and prices are announced.

Foffy

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Reggie mentions that the console will be competitively priced. I don't see how that's possible. Even if Wii U launches somehow at $300 Sony and Microsoft will undoubtedly undercut them with a price drop.

I don't think that's too bad. Wii U will be an 8th generation console and will be competing with their successors when they launch, and it will probably have the price advantage over those new platforms.

The only thing I wish he asked was "Why didn't you bring this out in 2007?" Reggie can ignore or spin the questions, but despite the numbers the Wii was a failure as a game machine for repeat buyers. The only things people cared about being stuff like Wii Fit and Wii Sports were first party titles. The Wii suffered the same fate that the n64 did, and that the gamecube did. At least with the Wii U, they've got some sembalance of a real controller and the actually have the horse power to get more than just nintendo games on their system.

hyduK

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Really? I heard that it will be priced comparably when you consider the value (ie. when you add a 200$ touch screen the price makes sense).

Sanic

xvUio.jpg

Vespene

RoninChaos said:
The only thing I wish he asked was "Why didn't you bring this out in 2007?" Reggie can ignore or spin the questions, but despite the numbers the Wii was a failure as a game machine for repeat buyers. The only things people cared about being stuff like Wii Fit and Wii Sports were first party titles. The Wii suffered the same fate that the n64 did, and that the gamecube did. At least with the Wii U, they've got some sembalance of a real controller and the actually have the horse power to get more than just nintendo games on their system.

The Gamecube and N64 proved that a Nintendo platform having tech equal to it's competitors doesn't necessarily result in success.

_Isaac

I didn't think it was TOO confrontational. At least not to the extent where it warrants a *that* in the thread title. It was a good interview though, and they both did a good job.

Chuck

Still without luck
Great interview. I really wish Geoff worked for a less awful outlet.

Also, "We're very good at keeping secrets." -Reggie
HA

ampere

Geoff is not gentle, I love that interviewing style, asking tough questions. Hahahaha, very amusing to watch.

Straight up, "You didn't reach that sales mark before having a conversation about the next system, eh, eh, EH?!"

Wow, he made Reggie freak out hahahahahaha
"Online? Online, onlin-"
"GEOFF!"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Geoff has always been a great interviewer. Infinite respect ever since the ME debacle.

Both Geoff and Reggie handling everything like bosses. Great interview to watch, informative as well.

GT Vespene said:
The Gamecube and N64 proved that a Nintendo platform having tech equal to it's competitors doesn't necessarily result in success.
The difference between then and now was that the developers aren't being screwed over by weird control schemes. The gamecube controller was ridiculous. The N64 was half way crazy, and the wiimote threw out normal controllers and alienated some folks, as well as developers with that waggle bullshit and with last generation hardware.

Developers told Nintendo, and Reggie even admitted it, that the Wii's specs were what prevented Nintendo from getting the same kind of content that the 360 and PS3 enjoyed. At least with the Wii U, the specs seem to be similar, and the controller is actually normal, besides having a screen in the middle of it so developers could reliably make multiplatform games, as opposed to what they did with Wii by making dumbed down titles. Or not making them at all, when you consider the amount of shovelware on the system.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Agreed that the questioning was in-line, but the interview went nowhere. An almost waste of ~20 minutes given how little I came away with comparatively had I not watched.

Reggie did his job by being evasive and predictable, and Geoff can only push so far without belaboring the point or harming either side's image. It was nice to -actually- see a push on Geoff's behalf, but the guard is strong.

At the least, Reggie's extremely guarded stance did give the impression that Nintendo has really no fucking clue how they are going to manage expectations of their consumer base in the short-term. Almost a "2011 and most of 2012 will be a wash, but we'll be viable against our competitors eventually! You know, as soon as we are given the green light to talk intelligently about this magical savior device!"

antonz

Reggie hamstringed by NCL was a big problem. Its obvious Nintendo plans to milk the next few days as Reggie admitted Online will be discussed etc by the end of the week.

Its smart on Nintendos part to a degree. New info everyday keeps them dominating headlines though it leads to alot of conclusion jumping on places like Gaf

Glix

enzo_gt said:
Geoff has always been a great interviewer. Infinite respect ever since the ME debacle.

Both Geoff and Reggie handling everything like bosses. Great interview to watch, informative as well.

Very much agree BUT I can't believe he didn't question him about only one screen controller issue. That is a very big deal.

syoaran

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

Hmmm, but what is cost for you for Sony and Microsoft? Sony are leveraging 3D, which even with the Playstation TV will cost you $900 including the PS3. Microsoft consider the Kinetic part of the integral experience now, more so next year. That costs about $400 total in the US inc a 360 with a good HD, right? (inc 1 piece of software).

Massa

DaBuddaDa said:
People were expecting Nintendo's 2012 conference this year. Remember folks, there are almost always two E3s before a new console launches; the first E3 the new console is shown and their "vision" is explained. It's during the second E3 the year later that the explosion of games and videos and media and dates and prices are announced.

I think the main problem is that Nintendo failed to sell the Wii U as an upgrade to the 360 and PS3, and that's what the Geoff Keighley audience wanted from it. They were too shy talking about the graphics and online capabilities of the system. Being told "this is a Wii for you" or that you'll play the same games out on 360/PS3 is useless; they should have sold the idea that those games will be clearly superior on their machine. It felt like they didn't want to admit the two features they've been ignoring for the past 5 years are important.

The new controller has potential to be a very interesting concept but today it just added confusion to what the system actually is. Calling it "Wii" doesn't help either, as we've seen with the 3DS ("I don't like 3D, why would I buy a 3DS?" is common even on GAF). I'm surprised Nintendo went for the same strategy again.

Riposte

Shurs said:
Why not try to elevate the way people look at the medium?

Why show such little respect for your audience?

It is not his duty. His job is to make something a lot of people want to watch which also happens to be about videogames. Just like the Oscars(as if 80% of actors presenting awards had anything interesting to say on Film) and every other award ceremony(including other videogame ceremonies) are bullshit extravaganzas(if that, some are just completely boring) where criticism is either vapid or takes a backseat. His audience can choose to not watch it if they feel "disrespected"(a lot of people on NeoGAF certainly didn't feel disrespected with the half-dozen game reveals they showed).

The fact you even hold it against him is what is really silly.

I, for one, would like to see video games looked at as more than toys or time-wasters.

Then somehow get some money and airtime and fund your own petty pretensions about computer toys into something no one wants to watch. (OR go read some enthusiasts press, with non-ceremonious awards.)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Krev said:
Hey hey hey, hold on. Geoff didn't say that. That was Shane Satterfield, who is an idiot.

No, they both ragged on Rayman. IIRC, Satterfield said Rayman should be 3D, not 2D. But Geoff said it shouldn't have been featured so prominently in the conference, as if a 2D platformer is undeserving of such an honor.

Hero

Some of it was good but for the most part Geoff came off as pretty meh. A lot of the questions he was asking is obviously more strict upon NCL/Iwata's discretion than Reggie which everyone should understand. What he SHOULD have asked was where the fuck the Wii games were that aren't scheduled for release in North America.

J-Rock

Banned
Buckethead said:
Just finished Part 1... Geoff is trolling hard...

"Will developers out of Japan be able to deliver experiences like Halo or Uncharted?..."

Reggie: Just look at the garden demo

"So who made that demo... was it RETROOOO?"

Oh man hahaha.

Yeah I laughed at that part. Geoff has no shame. lol

Angry Fork

Man I squirmed when he mentioned the 45 million thing, this interview was gold, Geoff trolling HARD at every turn. If only I remembered by twitter password i'd hit up geoff and tell him what a great job he did. And Reggie earning his paycheck as well by being the master of spin. If only Geoff wasn't a part of that shitty Spike awards crap he'd be much more respected.

EXGN

DaBuddaDa said:

When Sony was in the same position - E3 2005, with the launch coming in fall the next year - they announced Killzone 2 (with CG trailer), Tekken 6, MGS4 and a bunch of other games. I think that's what people expected.

Say what you want about how it turned out, but during the same timeframe, Sony hyped THE FUCK out of the PS3. I still don't have an idea of what to expect from the Wii U except an interesting controller and ports of PS360 games.

Riposte said:
It is not his duty. His job is to make something a lot of people want to watch which also happens to be about videogames. Just like the Oscars(as if 80% of actors presenting awards had anything interesting to say on Film) and every other award ceremony(including other videogame ceremonies) are bullshit extravaganzas(if that, some are just completely boring) where criticism is either vapid or takes a backseat. His audience can choose to not watch it if they feel "disrespected"(a lot of people on NeoGAF certainly didn't feel disrespected with the half-dozen game reveals they showed).

The fact that you're so in love with his show and going to such lengths to defend it, a supposed award show that features such wonderful categories such as "Best Independent Game Fuel By Mountain Dew", is pathetic. The thing is nothing more than a huge corporate circle jerk. And yes, it his job to make sure his award show has at least some integrity and legitimacy, of which it currently has none.

gdt

Great interview so far, but I thought his question whether or not Nintendo has the resources to pull off HD was a bit silly.

Great questions, which is a rarity for Geoff. Usually he's a buttkisser who asks useless questions that can be answered by reading a press release. But as usual Geoff's attitude still makes him look like a prick, with his antagonizing side remarks and smirks.

Why can't we have someone who doesn't act like an asshole but still asks good questions? And where are the questions of Pikmin 3, The Last Story, and Xenoblade?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Glix said:
Very much agree BUT I can't believe he didn't question him about only one screen controller issue. That is a very big deal.
I'm not aware of this either, what is it?

Angry Fork

gdt5016 said:
Great interview so far, but I thought his question whether or not Nintendo has the resources to pull off HD was a bit silly.
Seeing as they took 5 years to put out Skyward Sword (and that's in SD), I can't imagine them putting out HD games in a timely fashion which take at least double the time/resources.

Riposte

Mortrialus said:
The fact that you're so in love with his show and going to such lengths to defend it, a supposed award show that features such wonderful categories such as "Best Independent Game Fuel By Mountain Dew", is pathetic.

I love it so much, I watched it for 5 minutes. (I am defending Geoff, btw.)

The thing is nothing more than a huge corporate circle jerk

Which is most award ceremonies, if they are not clueless developer/twitter circle jerks. (Angry Birds: one of the best games of the year!!!)

And yes, it his job to make sure his award show has at least some integrity and legitimacy, of which it currently has none.

Can you clearly describe what is wrong with their method of picking nominees and who wins it? I mean aside from the way it looks on TV and who sponsors it...

(Hey man, they nominated God Hand once, More than what GDC can say!!)

gdt

Angry Fork said:
Seeing as they took 5 years to put out Skyward Sword (and that's in SD), I can't imagine them putting out HD games in a timely fashion which take at least double the time/resources.

Zelda is Zelda.

They put out SMG2 crazy fast.

Metroid Other M.

etc etc

Zelda, since WW, has taken it's sweet time.

Shurs

tiff said:
Wait, so your problem with him is that he sees video games as toys?

No, my problem in giving him the credit that SalsaShark gave him, is that I don't think he deserves it.

I don't care to speculate how Keighley looks at, or feels about, games.

Riposte said:

So, wait, I'm pretentious because I don't like the Spike VGAs? Are you serious?

The show is an embarrassment to gamers, that you compare it to the Oscars rather than, say, the MTV Movie Awards, shows that we're speaking two different languages here.

People tune in for the trailers. Because of that, he could easily try to make it into something more than an excuse to rub elbows with C-list celebrities.

As it stands, this is the image of a "gamer" based on what's presented on the Spike VGAs.
zvuesj.jpg

PaNaMa

Banned
I don't get some of the gaffers here dumping on Geoff. He's not lobbing Reggie softballs.
He's asking some hard questions, some probing questions, some of which you can tell annoyed Reggie quite a bit. He's really roasting him on a few things.

Most of these bits (at e3) are supposed to be promotional spots, with the journalist maybe throwing in 2-3 probing Qs for a scoop. The terrirtory and topics are usually agreed upon before the interview. Certainly what's "off limits" is usually defined.

So I have give points to GK for showing some balls here. He kinda pushed Reggie a bit. Maybe it will be a while before Reggie agrees to another interview with them :p

Riposte

gdt5016 said:
Zelda is Zelda.

They put out SMG2 crazy fast.

Metroid Other M.

etc etc

Zelda, since WW, has taken it's sweet time.

Which hurt them a lot, for every Zelda a dozen of similar and just as interesting games will come out before they release one. A big problem when those titles were PS3/360(/PC). Ideally this problem is solved with the WU, but that's who knows what will happen in the next three years. I think what Geoff was ultimately getting at is that Nintendo needs to be more of a "core" presence then they were on the Wii and Reggie was saying that 3rd parties were finally going to fill a void(which he also didn't want to admit existed at the same time lol).

gdt

Riposte said:
Which hurt them a lot, for every Zelda a dozen of similar and just as interesting games will come out before they release one. A big problem when those titles were PS3/360(/PC). Ideally this problem is solved with the WU, but that's who knows what will happen in the next three years. I think what Geoff was ultimately getting at is that Nintendo needs to be more of a "core" presence then they were on the Wii and Reggie was saying that 3rd parties were finally going to fill a void(which he also didn't want to admit existed at the same time lol).

I dont think the reason Zelda took so long was it's visuals. It's resolution or graphics have nothing to do with it's long dev time.

Hmmmmm.... Reggie didn't really say the controller only works in one room. He said it has to "talk to the console", which could mean anything.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Meus Renaissance said:
Geoff asks Reggie the questions many have been wondering not only this E3 (questions about the Wii 2 such as its price) but through this entire generation from Nintendo.

Reggie makes the first strike at 2mins 06seconds into the interview.

Quite an entertaining and surprisingly confrontational/tense interview. Body language was also interesting.

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/1144/334523-geoff_large.jpg

Transcript for those of us that can't hear? I doubt they're going to rebroadcast this for me to get CC's for it. :(

Mr. B Natural said:
The issue with "game journalism" is that this interview is considered confrontational.

So true. I was just thinking the same thing. I kept waiting for something crazy to happen and all I heard were really good questions and Reggie trying his best to dodge them.

Riposte

Shurs said:
The show is an embarrassment to gamers

God damn! Why the fuck do you feel embarrassment at all? Extremely childish to even care about gamer image. Mind boggling. Just like all award shows, it is stupid because it is not about the awards or understanding of videogames, but rather the ceremony and using the attention it brings to hear celebrities say stupid jokes or tease products. Another stupid television program in a ocean of a thousands of stupid television programs.

As it stands, this is the image of a "gamer" based on what's presented on the Spike VGAs.
zvuesj.jpg

Also the image of:

Spike TV viewers
Americans
Privileged western world

And whoever else you want to generalize negatively because their TV is stoopid. Fking mountain dew man, they don't understand videogames.

MisterHero

I want a Zelda that looks GOOD, not one that looks like Lord of the Rings or Uncharted.

They haven't shared their plans for Online doesn't mean they don't have plans.

These questions have been asked for years and I would agree if someone else found them annoying.

If Nintendo truly has an outside partner or business deal for things such graphics or online they aren't going to share it until both companies are ready, nevermind in the middle of one of many interviews. I would suggest that such important questions need to be asked from the actual decision maker for the company as a whole (Iwata, for example).

Now that I think about it, it would be interesting to see Iwata give an interview to an American reporter.

Shurs

Riposte said:
God damn! Why the fuck do you feel embarrassment at all? Extremely childish to even care about gamer image. Mind boggling. Just like all award shows, it is stupid because it is not about the awards or understanding of videogames, but rather the ceremony and using the attention it brings to hear celebrities say stupid jokes or tease products. Another stupid television program in a ocean of a thousands of stupid television programs.

Also the image of:

Spike TV viewers
Americans
Privileged western world

And whoever else you want to generalize negatively because their TV is stoopid. Fking mountain dew man, they don't understand videogames.

I really don't see what we have to discuss.

In your eyes, any attempt to elevate the medium is pretentious, so there is no point in doing anything other than cater to the lowest common denominator.

I feel differently.

Let's agree to disagree.

Top Bottom