• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*That* Geoff Keighley interview with Reggie 'My Body Is Not Ready' Fils-Aime

antonz

MisterHero said:
I want a Zelda that looks GOOD, not one that looks like Lord of the Rings or Uncharted.

They haven't shared their plans for Online doesn't mean they don't have plans.

These questions have been asked for years and I would agree if someone else found them annoying.

If Nintendo truly has an outside partner or business deal for things such graphics or online they aren't going to share it until both companies are ready, nevermind in the middle of one of many interviews. I would suggest that such important questions need to be asked from the actual decision maker for the company as a whole (Iwata, for example).

Now that I think about it, it would be interesting to see Iwata give an interview to an American reporter.
Reggie in the interview clearly stated Online plans will be shared by the end of the week.

They are already demoing on the show floor a online only FPS.

People are in Nintendo hates core mode yet again

The interview was alright. I'm glad Geoff asked and expressed legitimate concerns us gamers/consumers had. However, at some point it was just too much. He kept asking questions Reggie said at the beggining they weren't going to answer today. I don't see much point in doing so because then we had Reggie go into long winded well spun answers. Most of the interview was 20 minutes of going around in circles not really learning much else than from what we found out in the press conference.

TheOGB said:
That's what it seems like, but I will admit, he gets answers.
He barely got any answers. He cleared a few distinct things up but he kept asking things that Reggie said in part 1 he wouldn't be discussing today. Asking the question and addressing some concerns is one thing but asking repeated questions on things that Nintendo wasn't going to share was a little annoying.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
MisterHero said:
I want a Zelda that looks GOOD, not one that looks like Lord of the Rings or Uncharted.

They haven't shared their plans for Online doesn't mean they don't have plans.

These questions have been asked for years and I would agree if someone else found them annoying.

If Nintendo truly has an outside partner or business deal for things such graphics or online they aren't going to share it until both companies are ready, nevermind in the middle of one of many interviews. I would suggest that such important questions need to be asked from the actual decision maker for the company as a whole (Iwata, for example).

Now that I think about it, it would be interesting to see Iwata give an interview to an American reporter.
And they still haven't answered them.

Man, Reggie dodging all these questions is so awkward.

Jinko

This interview was pretty tame IMO, came across to me like Geoff was just being a bit playful and cheeky is all, Reggie didn't seem to mind and took it in his stride.

You gota expect this sorta thing when you get interviewed and that's when you play the canned response card.

"We can't discuss that at this time"

Riposte

Shurs said:
I really don't see what we have to discuss.

In your eyes, any attempt to elevate the medium is pretentious.

Your idea of elevating the medium is very trite: Let's wear suits! Let's make America watch our favorite nerds talk about something they don't really care about!

TV Award Shows are not where you go for that. "Elevation" occurs in the making of games and is done by game makers. It is not Geoff Keighley's responsibility and you shouldn't shoulder your gamer-shame onto him simply because he was lucky enough to be one of the few dudes who gets to talk about videogames on TV. Why not form a functional opinion by watching GTTV? That is where he gets to express himself more clearly.

EDIT: I don't like your habit of changing the message of your posts with edits lol.

MisterHero

antonz said:
Reggie in the interview clearly stated Online plans will be shared by the end of the week.

They are already demoing on the show floor a online only FPS.

People are in Nintendo hates core mode yet again
Indeed. Iwata already spoke at length about their Online intents at GDC so people should be referring to that.

People are also looking at Wii U's screens and dismissing what the machine is actually capable of (streaming a full, HD console game to a controller while minimizing delay between controller input and video output).

SoulPlaya said:
And they still haven't answered them.

Man, Reggie dodging all these questions is so awkward.
Nintendo has hinted that they may answer those concerns this week, if not tonight or in the next couple days. (ex: the roundtables, at Reggie reiterated)

Shurs

Riposte said:
Your idea of elevating the medium is very trite: Let's wear suits! Let's make America watch our favorite nerds talk about something they don't really care about!

TV Award Shows are not where you go for that. "Elevation" occurs in the making of games and is done by game makers. It is not Geoff Keighley's responsibility and you shouldn't shoulder your gamer-shame onto him simply because he was lucky enough to be one of the few dudes who gets to talk about videogames on TV. Why not form a functional opinion by watching GTTV? That is where he gets to express himself more clearly.

EDIT: I don't like your habit of changing the message of your posts with edits lol.

What's the harm in trying to cater the Spike VGAs to an adult crowd?

I have watched GTTV before and it's Keighley in "pitchman" mode. I'm not a fan of the show.

Keighley can be a very good journalist when he wants to be. His behind-the-scenes articles are usually excellent.

He's obviously a smart guy who knows tons about the industry. I think he is capable of doing better work than he does on SpikeTV, which is why I even bring it up at all.

Sorry about the editing. I know I do it frequently, but I often think of something immediately after hitting the "Submit Reply" button.

I'm glad Geoff asked those questions. Sure he was trolling a bit there, but if he didn't he would have just gotten pure PR spin.

Those were questions we all had which were not answered and I, as a perspective buyer of a Wii U was genuinely interested in the answers.

Online (check?) really lol. Might want to see what your shop has done to existing 3DS games Regginator

Dipswitch

Good interview. Keighley does a good job all around. Hell, Bonus Round is the only gaming podcast I watch with any regularity for that reason.

WillyFive

Reggie is fantastic when he is not scripted, but terrible when he reads a script.

Like in those conferences, when he uses that fake slow emotive voice to emphasize parts of a sentence, that just sounds really bad.

Chittagong said:
Must be said though, his Don Mattrick interview was so cuddly it could have been a buddy movie. Maybe it's just just that Don is such a lovable thing he doesn't inspire kicking ass and taking names
Funny thing is that if you watch that interview, Mattrick is just a more genial fellow, even if there weren't as many tough questions. Also, Canadian bias bro ;)

I never got why you guys liked Reggie always seemed like a tool to me. Was it because he was the Nintendo employee who dared to come out and say ass at E3?

Pyrokai

Does he ask about Xenoblade and Last Story? If not, then he fails.

Edit: Oh he asks if there are other games coming before Zelda that are still unannounced and Reggie says "absolutely". There is still hope!

Keep in mind I haven't visited the Xeno/Last Story thread yet. Just got access to a computer not too long ago :p

okenny

Banned
yurinka said:
Wow, the xbot doing a good interview. That's new.

It depends on who is the interviewed, if he is interested or not.

He also interviewed today Vita's Uncharted, Modnation Racers and Sound Shapes and almost ignored them.

Well part of being a good interviewer is feeling out the information you can get from someone. You don't go asking a developer where the monolithic parent company is heading; you reserve those questions for people who have those answers and turn up the heat when they're not giving it up. Picking on the small guy for answers he's not allowed to give just to see them breakdown and you still without answer just makes you a dick.

KaotikMind said:
I never got why you guys liked Reggie always seemed like a tool to me. Was it because he was the Nintendo employee who dared to come out and say ass at E3?
I didn't really pay much attention to Nintendo and E3 when he first came on the scene but from what I understand the first few times he came up he spoke confidently, addressed serious issues, talked to the crowd saying he was gamer and huge Nintendo fan, and basically came on the stage to show the games that everyone actually wanted to see. Then mid way through the Wii gen cycle everyone realized he talked the exact same way when showing off Wii Music and Animal Crossing and that surprise, surprise he is a PR person hired by Nintendo to promote their systems and games.

Dipswitch said:
Good interview. Keighley does a good job all around. Hell, Bonus Round is the only gaming podcast I watch with any regularity for that reason.

After watching it I thought it was a very solid interview as well on both sides. Geoff asked good questions without being a jerk about it and Reggie gave the type of answers Nintendo people are known for giving. If anything Geoff reminded me of a light version of Jon Stewart.

rpmurphy

commish said:
Reggie is 1080p obsessed.
From the Iwata Asks column, Nintendo understands very well that one of the major criticisms lobbed against the Wii has been that they lacked output in high definition resolutions. Plus with Kotaku making earlier rumors that it might be capped to 1080i, there's a very good reason that Nintendo needs to tell the enthusiast gaming demographic that Wii U will support up to 1080p.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Izayoi said:
Why didn't he grill Tretton about the NGP the same way?

Ask what exactly?
There is not much unknown about the PSV at this point.

Izayoi

Banned
Suikoguy said:
Ask what exactly?
There is not much unknown about the PSV at this point.
Like where all of the RPGs are, why they cut specs, what additional features would the 3G model have, etc. There are plenty of questions that he could've asked.

Shurs

Izayoi said:
Like where all of the RPGs are, why they cut specs, what additional features would the 3G model have, etc. There are plenty of questions that he could've asked.

I'll answer for Jack.

1-They're coming
2-$249
3-A 3G antenna.

Izayoi

Banned
Shurs said:
I'll answer for Jack.

1-They're coming
2-$249
3-A 3G antenna.
1.) So show them to me.
2.) You're okay with that? I would've preferred a $300 base-version with the extra horsepower.
3.) How do you know?

Morkins

Banned
Izayoi said:
1.) So show them to me.
2.) You're okay with that? I would've preferred a $300 base-version with the extra horsepower.
3.) How do you know?
Let me answer these:

1) We will have more in the future.
2) $249 is a great price and we feel that what we have to offer is priced aggressively.
3) It is a 3G model and thus includes a 3G antenna....

Morkins

Banned
Lord_Byron28 said:
I didn't really pay much attention to Nintendo and E3 when he first came on the scene but from what I understand the first few times he came up he spoke confidently, addressed serious issues, talked to the crowd saying he was gamer and huge Nintendo fan, and basically came on the stage to show the games that everyone actually wanted to see. Then mid way through the Wii gen cycle everyone realized he talked the exact same way when showing off Wii Music and Animal Crossing and that surprise, surprise he is a PR person hired by Nintendo to promote their systems and games.
So people hate him for being good at his job? Seriously, gamers have to be the worst group of fans in the entire world... NOTHING can make hardcore gamers happy. Absolutely nothing.

Chris_C

I've only seen the first part, but I wouldn't say it was confrontational, Geoff simply did what good interviewers do, and that's cut Reggie off anytime he started getting too far into his comfort zone. Great interview though.

I don't see how Keighley could be called an Xbot when he basically said there was no way for MS to win E3 during the Bonus Round...

carlo6529

Just watched part one, gonna watch the rest now. I think reggie kind of inadvertently said that the sytem will not launch before the next e3 when he says "at this e3, we wanted to show...". Earlier rumours suggested system launch for June 2012.

Might be reading too much into it but they are probably going for a september 2012 launch.

Kalnos

Banned
Skiptastic said:
I don't see how Keighley could be called an Xbot when he basically said there was no way for MS to win E3 during the Bonus Round...

Or when he creamed over Uncharted 3 the entire time.

Can someone give me a rundown of the interview? I want to watch it but I'm at a meeting. All I've been able to gather is that Geoff busted Reggies balls pretty thoroughly. I want to be able to decide for myself.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
They're stupid if it isn't a Fall 2012 release. I think Nintendo is very innovative but they're lacking behind in terms of power. They just now decided to upgrade to HD while Microsoft/Sony probably have that next leap planned out already.

jgkspsx

Clearly somebody's been learning from Phoenix Wright. Boo on Reggie for not clenching his fists, but at least he got the sweating in.

Edit: The evasion on what they're doing on a home console front for the next 12-16 months is especially painful.

Luigison

Awesome interview. I have new respect for Geoff and have increased my respect for Reggie. I wish I'd have spoken to him when I saw him within arms reach at E3 during a Wii demo.

Riddick

Izayoi said:
Why didn't he grill Tretton about the NGP the same way?

Because Sony showed a shitton of games, a shitton of features and instead of lame tech demos they showed actual graphics. That's why.

There was a lot that Reggie had to hold back, but he could have dealt with the questions more tactfully. He came off a bit too aggressive, but lacking some confidence.

Riddick said:
Because Sony showed a shitton of games, a shitton of features and instead of lame tech demos they showed actual graphics. That's why.

Sony did not show a shit ton of games or features for PSV.

Luigison

Sorry Eggman. Wish I'd ran some speech to text while watching. Also, it amazes me how many people post on GAF while at work. I wouldn't even visit the homepage from work.

Top Bottom