• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That's enough, N'Gai Croal

I know he’s a nice guy who writes well and represents a “mature outsider” angle to video games journalism, but with that said I am officially tired of N’Gai Croal and his “I am a newsmaker - look at me!” self-aggrandizing.

I can’t remember anyone else in the industry who has gone to more lengths to point out how awesome, thoughtful, and important they (think they) are than Croal, who more than 2 years later continues to crow about his, ahem, “important foray” into the controversy about Resident Evil 5 and its racist overtones.

In his overwhelmingly “I am so awesome how awesome am I” self-congratulatory articles written for Edge in the past few weeks, he doesn’t contain his own back-slapping. And I quote:

“I should have known that the comments that I made to MTV News would set off a firestorm”

“Part of the reason that I wasn’t expecting there to be a furor over my statements is that I wasn’t the first to express profound unease with the imagery in the Resident Evil 5 trailer.”

“I simply stepped away from the fray, preferring to lurk instead”

“Most of my critics didn’t write back after receiving my form letter. Perhaps it was enough for them to vent; perhaps my reply was too densely argued.”

“As Takeuchi went on to explain that the enemies with the grass skirts and spears were seeking to defend the ruins from intruders and that he’d been inspired by the Indiana Jones movies, I felt like I once again understood where he’d been coming from.”

I mean, it’s all “I” and “me”; good God, man, you’re treating yourself as if you’re the center of the universe.

Reporters don’t make news – those that try to do are in the wrong business. Those that write about themselves as if they are news are even worse.

N’Gai, please – this self-created “story” is over. Long, long over. The game has been out for months; yes, the trailers and game have racist overtones. We get it, and we’ve all talked about it. Get over yourself, and get back to providing information and editorials about the industry.

EDIT - Updated thread title to reference actual context; this is NOT supposed to be a "I hate N'Gai" thread

i pronounce his first name like Professor Frink

frink.gif

"N'Gai!"

Blueblur1

I'm with ya, OP. I became tired with N'Gai and his "work" back in 2007. But if you don't like him you shouldn't draw attention to him; just ignore him and his journalistic endeavors.

RichyDevil said:
I know he’s a nice guy who writes well and represents a “mature outsider” angle to video games journalism, but with that said I am officially tired of N’Gai Croal and his “I am a newsmaker - look at me!” self-aggrandizing.

I can’t remember anyone else in the industry who has gone to more lengths to point out how awesome, thoughtful, and important they (think they) are than Croal, who more than 2 years later continues to crow about his, ahem, “important foray” into the controversy about Resident Evil 5 and its racist overtones.

In his overwhelmingly “I am so awesome how awesome am I” self-congratulatory articles written for Edge in the past few weeks, he doesn’t contain his own back-slapping. And I quote:

“I should have known that the comments that I made to MTV News would set off a firestorm”

“Part of the reason that I wasn’t expecting there to be a furor over my statements is that I wasn’t the first to express profound unease with the imagery in the Resident Evil 5 trailer.”

“Most of my critics didn’t write back after receiving my form letter. Perhaps it was enough for them to vent; perhaps my reply was too densely argued.”

“As Takeuchi went on to explain that the enemies with the grass skirts and spears were seeking to defend the ruins from intruders and that he’d been inspired by the Indiana Jones movies, I felt like I once again understood where he’d been coming from.”

I mean, it’s all “I” and “me”; good God, man, you’re treating yourself as if you’re the center of the universe.

Reporters don’t make news – those that try to do are in the wrong business. Those that write about themselves as if they are news are even worse.

N’Gai, please – this self-created “story” is over. Long, long over. The game has been out for months; yes, the trailers and game have racist overtones. We get it, and we’ve all talked about it. Get over yourself, and get back to providing information and editorials about the industry.

why do you even think about this? Who fucking cares? Don't you have anything better to post about?

Tetsuo9 said:
Seriously I think N'gai gets enough hate already in this forum, give him a break.
Agreed. Most of the teenybopper jerkoffs on GAF are seething with rage and jealousy than N'Gai has done more in the gaming industry than they'll ever hope to do.

And I say that as someone who is barely familiar with Croal's work (I remember the whole RE5 "firestorm" though).

The hate he gets here is ridiculous.

There are tons of shitty writers for the major gaming websites and magazines that are more deserving of the GAF hivemind's irrational ire.

RichyDevil said:
Actually he put the topic to rest in his Edge collumn a month or two ago. The English language in general is pretty egotistical in the way we tell stories about- it always starts with I. Sounds like you have some confused issues, I thought it was a good read. You need to seperate the story from the way it is presented.

xbhaskarx

I stopped paying attention to this gai after the RE5 controversy, but Project Natal refusing to recognize him was croal.

groan

JDSN

Banned
Doesnt most of Gaf see things that way?

Anyways, all the Gaming journalists are either into better things or working with developers, all thats left is either a bunch of marketing fantards like Bryan Crecente or guys with a false sense of entitlement and superiority like N'Gai and that guy with the crazy Wii theories that Thegrayghost never shuts the fuck up about.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
So isn't making this thread part of the problem? You're just promoting what you claim to despise.

This interview wouldn't have even been on my radar.

chubigans said:
A lot of people don't seem to like him, including Project Natal. :(

But he's alright in my book.
:lol

Tain

Game journalism in general isn't very focused on the "game" part of things.

Croal's part of a big list of people guilty of this.

He's one of the more recognized voices in the industry, and has a mainstream presence that most other gaming journalists don't. He's got more information about things that would be infinitely more interesting to write about in EDGE, yet he chooses to write about himself.

That's my issue - not irrational N'Gai hate or jealousy.

Tain said:

Because the gaming industry isn't just about the "games." It's a business.

N'Gai deserves a break, if for no other reason than his professionalism should be what the enthuisiast press should be trending towards, rather than the politics-like talking head garbage that's been prevalent lately.

The most controversy he's ever been in has been discussing the RE5 racism angle (which may not have warranted the microscope, but was at least worth a discussion) and the whole deal with his relative latecoming to gaming. Edit: An apparently this Natal thing that I missed.

Like the poster a few up said, save the hate-threads for the known enthusiast trolls and twitter fake rumor starters.

.GqueB.

Banned
Oh please, hes no more "self-congratulatory" than the common gaffer. You guys get all uppity about predicting accurate numbers during NPD times. Theres even an entire thread dedicated to it:

I TOLD YOU GUYS, I CALLED IT!!! YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS

Dont get mad at him just because he a bit more articulate about it.

Tain said:

if he sticks to the games people question his credibility because he's only been gaming since the dreamcast. Read some of the 1upYours/ListenUp threads sometime, Its a pitiful bunch of nerds you have to appease to be a gaming journalist. I would never want that job.

.GqueB. said:
Oh please, hes no more "self-congratulatory" than the common gaffer. You guys get all uppity about predicting accurate numbers during NPD times. Theres even an entire thread dedicated to it:

I TOLD YOU GUYS, I CALLED IT!!! YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS

Dont get mad at him just because he a bit more articulate about it.

screw you man, we're pissed cause we can't find a way to get paid for it

... my man.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
OP, I'm fucking positive that I've seen you post whiny anti-N'Gai threads before...

edit: I stand corrected. It was a whiny anti-swearing in podcasts thread.

Nizz

Tetsuo9 said:
Seriously I think N'gai gets enough hate already in this forum, give him a break.
Seriously. Yet another hater filled thread. It's not like he's being shoved in our faces constantly.

If you seek out his stuff and then you decide you don't really dig his stuff, fine. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

But I don't feel he's constantly "in my face". He rarely does Listen Up nowadays. The Out of the Game podcast (which I like) is on bi-weekly I believe. I've seen other, "self important" people who deserve to get the hate from me.

Like that fool Spencer Pratt/Bratt and his crybaby wife rambling about god damn labels being stripped off her shampoo bottles.

Give me a fucking break...

FoxHimself said:
I agree completely with the OP. N'gai Croal has been like this for a while and now I don't even read his articles anymore. He's become way too egocentric.

I believe the OP and N'Gai share the same boat.. they may even be involved romantically. Lover's quarrel?

Closest I got to reading something by N'Gai was when I followed his twitter for a week. That was more than enough for the rest of my life.

Twig

Banned
RichyDevil said:

I agree I hate it when people talk about themselves.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Maybe he was talking about himself because HIS comments were basically the center of the RE5 racial controversy, such as it was. If he's talking about HIS comments that people got mad at, what word other than "I" do you suggest for him to use?

And by the way, nobody was talking about this until you brought it up. If you're so worried about him getting attention, stop bringing it to him.

Top Bottom