• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That's enough, N'Gai Croal

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
michaelpachter said:
You guys should be thankful that there are people like N'Gai out there who have a platform. He may be less of a hardcore gamer than some, but is certainly aligned with most of you, and his opinions have the potential to shape the industry. If he rightfully thinks that his opinions should be given great weight, good for him. Industry commentators that don't have firm opinions are disregarded. Those who have firm views tend to be published, and tend to make an impact.

I've got to ask. How, exactly, would the opinions of N'Gai Croal (as well read and written as he canbe) shape the industry? Which industry? In what way?

Shins

Banned
He means well, but he extremely pretentious. Understandable, especially with the amazing number of pats on the back he regularly gets. Doesn't make him any more enjoyable to listen to. He's the weak link on Out of The Game, and part of why I can't usually get through more than fifteen minutes of an episode.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Agree with the OP. He's very obnoxious. I sort of wish him and his canned controversy would take a hike.

M.J. Doja

Banned
TruthJunky said:
As I noted earlier on this page, I find him obnoxious, pretentious and (despite his arguing the contrary) pretty shallow. And, sure, I also find him condescending.

But what does that have to do with me being insecure?

intellectually, socially, professionally. probably the former though.

M.J. Doja said:
intellectually, socially, professionally. probably the former though.

Heh. I assume that you're kidding. (Kidding, right?)

Regardless, I think you've identified how a lot of Croal defenders (and defenders of obnoxious/pretentious pseudo-'thinkers', in general) think about this matter. Some people seriously believe that in order for one to find the dude obnoxious/pretentious, one must be suffering from some kind of intellectual insecurity.

But why? Why can't I just find him obnoxious/pretentious because, you know, he writes like some random undergrad who was praised by his high school English teacher one too many times?

M.J. Doja

Banned
TruthJunky said:
Heh. I assume that you're kidding. (Kidding, right?)

Regardless, I think you've identified how a lot of Croal defenders (and defenders of obnoxious/pretentious pseudo-'thinkers', in general) think about this matter. Some people seriously believe that in order for one to find the dude obnoxious/pretentious, one must be suffering from some kind of intellectual insecurity.

But why? Why can't I just find him obnoxious/pretentious because, you know, he writes like some random undergrad who was praised by his high school English teacher one too many times?

you asked how it would make you insecure (or more accurately how somebody might label or mistake you for being insecure), and i listed how somebody could possibly assume this to be true. not really caring to answer why, you have free will.

Aselith

RichyDevil said:
Reporters don’t make news – those that try to do are in the wrong business. Those that write about themselves as if they are news are even worse.

N’Gai, please – this self-created “story” is over. Long, long over. The game has been out for months; yes, the trailers and game have racist overtones. We get it, and we’ve all talked about it. Get over yourself, and get back to providing information and editorials about the industry.

He's not really a reporter though. He's more of an industry commentator.

Top Bottom