• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thats it, current gen + pc gaming FTW! What systems do you favour?

Monk

Banned
I give up, ps3 is too expensive for my liking, the wii is too expensive for what it gives, the 360 has like no games that interest me.

Truth be told i am bored of console gaming all together, but i am not willing to sell them because of the pittance i could get for a trade in.

PC gaming on the other hand has some awesome games coming up. I am far more excited for it than anything on the next gen consoles.

I have both the DS and PSP but i am interested in none of the games that are coming up except for Rockman ZX.

So what systems do you favour?

Grayman

ps2(and anything that comes out on gc) until a ps3 price drop. Wii charges too much for what it gives. PS3 I am confident that if I did have the money I would get it's worth, my GC bought after many price drops hasn't paid for itself in entertainment time yet so I don't trust a wii yet.

Lack of third party online at launch, highest expected price, and no lightsabre game made me not care about a wii for now.

PC i'm not happy with. I bought one in 2004 and unfortunately got stuck with no pci-e, never upgrading this one and not buying a new pc for 3-4 years.

Personally, there are still lots of games I want to play on PS2 (games coming out and older games that I haven't gotten around to buying, plus a personal backlog). I'm in the same boat with regards to next gen right now, although I do plan on probably getting a Wii eventually - just not at launch.

Pimpbaa

In my case, the PS3 is too expensive for a game system to even consider getting it this year. 360 hardware is too unreliable to want to get that this year too. 2006 will be Wii and PC for me (and portables and ps2).

Odysseus

Banned
I think you should download Tetris for your iPod if you have one. Then make a thread about it and tell me how it plays with the scroll wheel.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Lets see, I have a PS2, DS, 360 and PC. I can catch up on PS2 games/RPGs I missed, grab DS games I dig, pick up the occasional 360 game that's worth a damn, and rock some PC gaming while I wait for DX10 cards to hit. Sure, I'll pay $600 for a DX10 card, but it'll rock my face. :lol

Q4 for PSP is insane and the PS2 is getting some interesting stuff like Okami, God Hand, Super Street Fighter II Turbo and God Of War II.

let's not fowl mouth Tony Montana in Scarface (Xbox v)

Drek

You think console gaming is too expensive? PC gaming is crazy. Buy a pimp system and plan to upgrade cards bi-annually to keep up. ;P

I'm praying the PS3 has full linux out of the box, then forget that PC noise. It'd be a bit different if it was still seeing RPGs the likes of Fallout and Baldur's Gate eclusively on it though.

GreekWolf

Monk said:
PC gaming on the other hand has some awesome games coming up. I am far more excited for it than anything on the next gen consoles.

WOW! I'm as big a PC whore as anyone, but how can you say that it outclasses the upcoming batch of next-gen games?

You said that a PS3 is out because it's too expensive and the Wii doesn't offer enough value. So let's look at the 360 lineup -

Gears of War
Mass Effect
Half-Life 2 mega pack (with episode 1, 2 and portal)
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Halo 3
Bioshock
Resident Evil 5
Lost Planet
Grand Theft Auto 4
Forza 2
Madden/NCAA football 2008

All of those heavy hitters will be released within the next year. The PC does have some nice stuff coming in the next few months, but nothing that compares to that lineup.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Same thing every new console launch period. The good stuff will start coming a year from now. The difference between this gen and the last is that this time around, the consoles are coming out either at the same time as Japan or earlier, so there's not that 8 months-1 year period of the Japanese launch, giving developers more time to polish up their titles or release something really awesome for the American. European, and Australian launches.

The Dreamcast sucked for about a year, having very few worthwhile releases, after its Japanese launch. The Playstation 2 was even worse that first year. Game Cube was a bit better, but not by too much.

I too am focusing on the current gen (although "current gen" now really just means Playstation 2. :p) consoles and the PSP and DS. I think I'll still be getting a Wii, but really nothing at launch seems to be grabbing me. And what the hell does PS3 have for its launch? Resistance? Anything else? :/

Agent X

I'm in a similar mindset right now. I'm preparing to buy a new PC soon, as my current PC is over seven years old. After that, I might start buying a few PC games here and there, though there aren't many PC games out now that appeal to me--one reason why I haven't been quick to upgrade in recent years.

Apart from that, I'm quite content with PS2 and PSP, and all my older systems too. So, it looks like PS2, PSP, and PC will be carrying me for a while.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
GreekWolf said:
WOW! I'm as big a PC whore as anyone, but how can you say that it outclasses the upcoming batch of next-gen games?

You said that a PS3 is out because it's too expensive and the Wii doesn't offer enough value. So let's look at the 360 lineup -

Gears of War
Mass Effect
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Halo 3
Bioshock
Resident Evil 5
Lost Planet
Grand Theft Auto 4
Forza 2

All of those heavy hitters will be released within the next year. The PC does have some nice stuff coming in the next few months, but nothing that compares to that lineup.

If Diablo 3 is announced in early 2007 I won't even bother with next gen until there's a price drop.

Some pc games that look good. NWN 2 is my most anticipated.

2006-2007

Crysis
NWN 2
Quake Wars
GTR 2
Age of Conan
UT 2007
C&C 3 Tiberium Wars
Stalker
Spore
Supreme Commander

Monk

Banned
Drek said:
You think console gaming is too expensive? PC gaming is crazy. Buy a pimp system and plan to upgrade cards bi-annually to keep up. ;P

Nah, i buy a good card and wait 3-4 years before getting a new one. It is all about getting the RIGHT card.

Gears of War
Mass Effect
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Halo 3
Bioshock
Resident Evil 5
Lost Planet
Grand Theft Auto 4
Forza 2

I am an rpg whore, and pc gaming is where its at.

Divine Divinity 2
Gothic 3
Dark Messiah
NWN 2
The witcher
Tabula Rasa
Hellgate London
Sacred 2

GreekWolf

Monk said:
I am an rpg whore, and pc gaming is where its at.

Divine Divinity 2
Gothic 3
Dark Messiah
NWN 2
The witcher
Tabula Rasa
Hellgate London
Sacred 2
Well, admittedly if you're locked into one particular genre then it's easier to make a decision based on which platform offers the experience you're looking for.

I love western RPGs and have enjoyed the hell out of Oblivion this past year. But I also need quality JRPGS in my gaming library to offer some diversity.

MegaTen

Banned
I know it may not seem like it in terms of the quality of games, but "next gen" started last year with the launch of Xbox 360.

At the moment...

NOt interested in Wii...Till they have a great 3rd party support.

Not interested in Ps3...till a major price drop.

Semi-interested in the 360...if more Japanese type rpgs come out for it..and if they are stable...and a price drop.

I am interested in my ps2 and my PC. I am going to buy a new graphics card and I should be able to play most of the latest games.

I am having a blast with some of these free PC online games (FEAR combat, Savage, etc etc)

I also want a portable gaming device...still deciding...

But first thing is a laptop (not for gaming)...but for work.

Currently it's X360 and PSP.

But this could change as soon as the other next gen systems offer anything that interests me at a reasonable price (600€ PS3 ftl)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Right now PS2 and DS offers all the entertainment I need. As Error said, it's the winning combo.

I dropped outta the PC hardware upgrade rat race in 2003 and I ain't never goin back, NEVAH! :lol Consoles all the way.

360 and wii for me right now, but I am very hot and cold. Eventually i'll run hot for PS3 at some point next year (probably at around the time a qtly bonus rolls in so I can afford all the stuff I want to get with the system at the same time). I hate buying piecemeal but I know lotz of folks that do:)

Top Bottom