• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The $130 Battlefield 1 Collector's Edition comes with no game

Skele7on

Banned
This is probably for people that want to grab a digital copy too.

I don't see the problem with the whole idea. Especially when there are other Collector editions that include the game.

I like the idea TBH I hate physical copies of games,
much rather be lazy and not have to switch discs on console.

I hope this becomes standard. As someone who is 100% digital, it has been annoying wanting CE's and then having another copy of the game that I have to take a hit on to sell. This takes the annoyance out of it. Don't really know what is objectionable about doing this.

How about people who like physical and even more so love collecting steelbooks/cases?!?

level1

Posted by DICE on instagram

13714114_1802853029951303_923734109_n.jpg

Beverly Hills Cop 1

How about people who like physical and even more so love collecting steelbooks/cases?!?

They can buy the version of the Collectors Edition that does come with the game, that costs exactly $60 more than this version? Or they can just buy the game for $60 with the same order?

stephen08

No interest in Battlefield these days but I think this is how collector's editions should be done.

*Doesn't restrict you to a platform
*Doesn't force you to buy a physical copy to get the stuff
*Makes it be about physical goods rather than in game items thus avoiding the 'cut content to sell later' problem. Everyone's game is the same.

As long as it's $130 worth of stuff and they're up front about the game not coming with it I'm all for it.

oh man....

i was gonna justify skipping the collector's edition because i always get the digital versions of Battlefield games but now they got me trippin'

120v

i'm not privy to the world of gaming collectibles but it seems weird to do this with Battlefield. like i could see a dark souls or elder scrolls enthusiast dropping nearly $200 on a release, but Battlefield?

but the market is there, apparently

Renekton

My friend is a box/swag collector who sometimes buys a second copy to keep CE in unopened condition. This may appeal to him.

Yagharek

No interest in Battlefield these days but I think this is how collector's editions should be done.

*Doesn't restrict you to a platform
*Doesn't force you to buy a physical copy to get the stuff
*Makes it be about physical goods rather than in game items thus avoiding the 'cut content to sell later' problem. Everyone's game is the same.

As long as it's $130 worth of stuff and they're up front about the game not coming with it I'm all for it.

But the problem is the publishers already created those problems of cut content and differences between versions (eg watchdogs spreadsheet).

I can't rationalise this kind of product as anything other than a scam.

I wish more companies would do what COD does and what Halo used to do, and make a mid-range special edition that was just a steelbook case and maybe a making-of doc or something.

All I want is a damn steelbook for my shelf. I don't want to pay the price of two games for useless swag I'll never touch. But in many cases, short of the 2nd hand market, these ridiculous bundles are the only way to get the swanky cases.

stephen08

But the problem is the publishers already created those problems of cut content and differences between versions (eg watchdogs spreadsheet).

I can't rationalise this kind of product as anything other than a scam.

Yeah the collectors edition exclusive in game content trend was awful and this gets around it.

How is it a scam? It very clearly states the game isn't included. Would making it $190 and including a copy of the game really be better? You lose consumer options that way.

I hope this becomes standard. As someone who is 100% digital, it has been annoying wanting CE's and then having another copy of the game that I have to take a hit on to sell. This takes the annoyance out of it. Don't really know what is objectionable about doing this.

Hitman collector's edition comes with a digital copy.

Pure batshit craziness.

Don't support this people.

i think its a good thing actually, instead of having multiple skus, you just have one, so if one platform is alot more popular than the others, you dont have to worry about not getting a copy for the system you own, and if you find the base game on sale, you can get the game cheaper instead of paying full price like you would if the collectors edition included a game

I haven't been keeping up with the game. Have they shown horses yet?

OT: I think this makes more sense. If you're not going to create a special steelbox to include the game in, just let people buy the game however they want. And honestly, with the digital direction game distribution is going, I would be fine with the only physical elements of videogames in my collection being collectables rather than just plastic boxes.

It's downright misleading. How many people will buy this assuming there's a game included? I'm guessing a lot.

The listing says no game included, and you can't even get to the listing unless you specifically select on Amazon that you want a platform independent version of the game. As in this version doesn't even show up when you search for Battlefield 1 on Amazon. And at the moment Amazon is the only place selling it. There shouldn't be anyone that mistakenly buys this version of the game.

Top Bottom