• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The $130 Battlefield 1 Collector's Edition comes with no game

NewDust

I'll go ahead and update that as the title right now.

Edit: Done

It's funny because:

1. You can't change thread titles, only mods can.
2. What you tried to changed it to doesn't even remotely reflect what I suggested:

NewDust said:
Actually the thread title should be:

The $130 'Battlefield 1 Exclusive Collector's Edition - Does Not Include Game' comes with no game

But eh... ¯_(ツ)_/¯

_____

The only issue I have with this is that I don't think it's worth the asking price.

RPGCrazied

Not into military shooters, but I don't care what the game is. I'm not going to spend almost $200 for a CE and it not include the game. That is a rip off plain and simple. They are basically trying to sell you the game twice.

Simo

This isn't new.

2488024-panzer.jpg

You still got the game though IIRC? They just shipped the Panzer edition and the contents after the game launched.

Cyneck

Banned
The machine specific collector's editions all come with the game. The title of the base collector's edish with no game is literally "Battlefield 1 Exclusive Collector's Edition - Does Not Include Game." No one that can read will be confused.

It definitely needs to be marked differently. People are used to the idea that "Collector's Edition" include the game from the get go, when they go to a GameStop super excited to purchase the Collector's Edition of their favorite franchise, the last thing that comes to their mind is... "hold on, let me check if my Collector's Edition has the fucking game in it." It's just absurd to even call it an edition at this point since it's technically not an actual edition of the game to begin with.
Beautiful.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It definitely needs to be marked differently. People are used to the idea that "Collector's Edition" include the game from the get go, when they go to a GameStop super excited to purchase the Collector's Edition of their favorite franchise, the last thing that comes to their mind is... "hold on, let me check if my Collector's Edition has the fucking game in it." It's just absurd to even call it an edition at this point since it's technically not an actual edition of the game to begin with.

Beautiful.
It's Amazon exclusive.

No one read the article.

This really feels like trying to find a reason to be upset. Right now, and some one correct me if I'm wrong, Amazon is the only retailer carrying it, and not only do they clearly mark that it doesn't include the game, but you can't even select it as an option to buy unless you specifically tell it you don't want to choose a platform. It would be nearly impossible to buy this by mistake.

I hope this becomes standard. As someone who is 100% digital, it has been annoying wanting CE's and then having another copy of the game that I have to take a hit on to sell. This takes the annoyance out of it. Don't really know what is objectionable about doing this.

Wasn't listed on Amazon last time I checked.

That's a good thing, though. I just checked, and it doesn't even show up in the search results. You literally have to pick a platform from the search results, then go to the platform area and choose "Not Machine Specific" to even see it.

And again, the article (and the blurb in the OP) says it's Amazon specific, so you didn't need to check Amazon to know that.

Cyneck

Banned
That's a good thing, though. I just checked, and it doesn't even show up in the search results. You literally have to pick a platform from the search results, then go to the platform area and choose "Not Machine Specific" to even see it.

And again, the article (and the blurb in the OP) says it's Amazon specific, so you didn't need to check Amazon to know that.

Was it the same deal for Wolfenstein and Mirror's Edge Collector's Editions as well?

Fitts

I would be fine if all "collector's editions" were sans game. Going to a local retailer to see a stack of available inventory for one platform while another is on backorder seems to be a common occurrence, so this would only be a good thing. However, I just don't see how stuff like this one is worth $130 and can't remember the last time there's been one that I haven't thought was overpriced.

I would be fine if all "collector's editions" were sans game. Going to a local retailer to see a stack of available inventory for one platform while another is on backorder seems to be a common occurrence, so this would only be a good thing. However, I just don't see how stuff like this one is worth $130 and can't remember the last time there's been one that I haven't thought was overpriced.
They're almost always overpriced and I often have buyer's remorse.

At least with this one you can get a decent discount on it with Prime.

ps3ud0

I like this way, platform agnostic CE and you can choose how you buy the actual game. Though that pricing is madness...

ps3ud0 8)

DOWN

Banned
Eh, we know the logic behind these so I don't get the flabbergasted reactions. The only misnomer is saying it is an Edition

brawly

I don't know if the content warrants the pricetag and I would certainly never buy it but as others have said, it gives you the choice to go digital so I think it's actually a good thing if the price is right.

I hope this becomes standard. As someone who is 100% digital, it has been annoying wanting CE's and then having another copy of the game that I have to take a hit on to sell. This takes the annoyance out of it. Don't really know what is objectionable about doing this.

Yup I agree, I love this new idea.

The price isn't great and calling it a Collector's Edition is maybe a little wrong, since that name has meant something for years now. But I love being able to get the fun extra stuff, but being able to choose which platform and if I want it digital or physical.

Liamario

Banned
They could of course give you a voucher to redeem a digital copy for the platform of your choice on Origin. There's no excuse to not have a copy of the game, you can do all the mental gymnastics you want.

Xav

*Includes Steelbook*

Somehow I find the addition of a steelbook but no game more offensive than a collector's edition with no game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
They could of course give you a voucher to redeem a digital copy for the platform of your choice on Origin. There's no excuse to not have a copy of the game, you can do all the mental gymnastics you want.
There are 3 other bundles that include the game. One for each platform. People are literally complaining because Amazon has the option of a platform free purchase.

WarMacheen

Why is this becoming a trend??!

horse armor, locked content on disc and paying for keys to unlock it, release day dlc, retailer exclusive content, microtransactions in full priced games, paying for costumes, paying for colors, collectors editions for everything, and now....not even the game included in one of the editions.

People will buy this shit, it will continue, it will get worse until the market pushes back in a massive way.

leng jai

Love the outrage in here over nothing. It's literally giving you the option to upgrade to the CE after the fact if you end up really liking the game. How many times have I read people saying "I wish I didn't buy the CE since the game ended up being terrible"?

Just when I think this industry can't get any more embarrassing, something like this comes along and proves me wrong.

Best Buy will be selling this for $40 within 3 months of release, confirmed.

krang

I love this idea and wish more games did it. I've gone all-digital this gen, and I don't want to have to make two purchases to get all the cool swag, or forego the option of cool stuff to get the benefit of digital. This way you buy all the CE content but you choose whichever copy of the game you want.

That price, though - eesh...

frontovik

Banned
Kinda funny that Witcher 3's CE included a giant statue, an art book, and the game itself. Why not BF1?

EA's greed knows no bounds.

Skele7on

Banned
The overreaction is amazing.
Personally you could pick up the game cheap
and then this stand alone and get the full set cheaper than you could bundled?

BUT EA GREEDY RIGHT?

:|

OOOOk.....

RalchAC

The overreaction is amazing.
Personally you could pick up the game cheap
and then this stand alone and get the full set cheaper than you could bundled?

BUT EA GREEDY RIGHT?

:|

OOOOk.....

This is probably for people that want to grab a digital copy too.

I don't see the problem with the whole idea. Especially when there are other Collector editions that include the game.

Top Bottom