• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The $130 Battlefield 1 Collector's Edition comes with no game

USF

Content

Ck2eh6dWYAAYLGg.jpg:orig

LQX

I was looking at the case for the PC version the other day and on the cover it says it comes with no disk. Only a code. Why then even have a retail release? EA is doing some weird things with this release.

I'll go ahead and ask the Battlefield Twitter account if there's a chance they could change the name to avoid confusion.

Thankfully their account does respond frequently to people so I'll probably get a response and share what they said.

I'll go ahead and ask the Battlefield Twitter account if there's a chance they could change the name to avoid confusion.

Thankfully their account does respond frequently to people so I'll probably get a response and share what they said.

Check my post above man

See no one has a problem with people selling premium collector content, it's something that's been done plenty of times before, but it's usually marketed as such as a separate thing from the game itself, and collectors edition of a game 99 percent of the time denotes the inclusion of an actual game copy. But in this particular instance it's hard not to expect that they're using the typical "collectors edition" moniker to catch unwary buyers who normally expect an actual copy of the game with it. I wouldn't put it past them to shoddily market this to take advantage of people, especially since we're only finding out about this at such a late stage.

Breads

Banned
I like it. I have been routinely buying CEs of games just to double dip and get the PC version since it is my ideal platform... PC CEs rarely, if ever actually being a thing.

At first you think this seems stupid and will cause confusion and headaches, but it's Amazon exclusive and Amazon makes it real clear that this "edition" does not include the actual game.

So...cool, more options for people.

Nokterian

Me buying every C.E from Blizzard comes with the game..in-game goodies across all blizzard games,awesome artbook,making of blu ray/dvd,mousepad,cd soundtrack for 80 euro's.

And i bought every C.E from Blizzard because to me that is worth the cash.

Yeah, imo this is the way to go and makes a lot of sense. You get the CE crap in one sku and retailers don't have to stock multiples of the huge boxes. Buyers can buy physical or digital, whichever they prefer, separately and still get all the CE items. Collectors can keep it unopened like toys and not have the pain of the game itself stuck inside, unopened and unused. Most of us agree that keeping a bunch of collectors items unopened is dumb and lame, but hey its their money let them do what they want.

Frankly I just hope they start upscaling the CE items, the last few years have been a veritable train of utter plastic crap CEs. Only good ones I can think of are Titanfall, Witcher 3, Borderlands Claptrap, and of course the really rare ones like TLOU or Borderlands 2 Loot Chest. All the other Ubi/EA/Activision CEs have been junk.

Cyneck

Banned
Because no one gives a sweet damn about the digital code they were gonna stuff in the box. You could get that anywhere at anytime.

While I do get where you're coming from, this is still so bizarre. Also could potentially lead to confusion for some.

EA has done it! They have made a special edition so evil and exploitative it doesn't even include a copy of the game!

Brilliant, EA is back!

Can't call it 'edition' when it doesn't have the game. Wtf.

So it can't be a 'version' of the game if it doesn't HAVE THE GAME.

Terrible choice of words on their part. It makes sense to not include the game but at that point they really should call it something else.

BF1 Collectors Edition
Loot Crate
Add on
Supply Drop
Care Package
Resupply
Field Kit

Opt1kon_

I'm ok with this, already have the game digitally pre ordered and really wanted this statue will probably be cheaper with prime as well

This is actually one of the dumbest things I've seen, but also one of the dumbest things I have ever seen people on this site complain about.

It's the Collector's Edition stuff without the game. You don't have to buy it. No one does. If you want the get the Digital Version of the game down the road, you can get the CE stuff now so you don't "miss out on it" (implying it won't sit on shelves somewhere for the next 2 years...) or whatever other reason you may want it. The Amazon page CLEARLY says "GAME NOT INCLUDED" in the title.

If this whole package comes as a particular shock to anyone, then you haven't had your eyes open. The whole thing is a bit ridiculous, but not particularly offensive considering no one's hand is being forced for anything and someone, somewhere will enjoy the extra options.

Yes it says Game Not Included on this specific listing but this sets a naming precedent that you can call a bundle of _____-themed goods " ______: Collector's Edition" and not include ______. Isn't there already enough misleading bull crap in this industry that we can ask for a more honest, reasonable, and direct naming convention than that?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
While I do get where you're coming from, this is still so bizarre. Also could potentially lead to confusion for some.
The machine specific collector's editions all come with the game. The title of the base collector's edish with no game is literally "Battlefield 1 Exclusive Collector's Edition - Does Not Include Game." No one that can read will be confused.

Yes it says Game Not Included on this specific listing but this sets a naming precedent that you can call a bundle of _____-themed goods " ______: Collector's Edition" and not include ______. Isn't there already enough misleading bull crap in this industry that we can ask for a more honest, reasonable, and direct naming convention than that?

What would you name it then? Call it something other than the Collector's Edition and you run the risk of people thinking it has items that are separate from the Collector's Edition itself, leading to the bigger risk - compared to people buying this and thinking it has the game - of hardcore fans accidentally purchasing the same thing twice or feeling like they have been ripped off.

Gator86

Why would you buy $20 of swag in a box without the game for $130? I mean the collector's edition is dumb in the first place but the game is kind of the thing.

Because game consumers are easy marks? People love special editions full of bargain basement knick knacks. It's why every game comes with one now.

What would you name it then? Call it something other than the Collector's Edition and you run the risk of people thinking it has items that are separate from the Collector's Edition itself, leading to the bigger risk - compared to people buying this and thinking it has the game - of hardcore fans accidentally purchasing the same thing twice or feeling like they have been ripped off.

A platform agnostic bundle could be the Loot Pack (or whatever). The Collector's Editions would be marketed as a Game + Loot Pack bundle. This is not an insurmountable hurdle, I don't think.

SalvaPot

They are charging scalpers prices for their own products now?

I guess this is cool for people who want to own the Collector Items, but get the game on a sale later on.

Top Bottom