• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 Spike VGAs: Dec 10th @ 7:30 PM EST, Streaming Online [Kojima: SO SORRY]

Blizzard

Banned
Valve really should have gotten that.

in 2011 they had

Portal 2. + FREE dlc.

TF2 went Free to Play without ruining the entire game.

Dota 2 and CS Go reveals.

and the mother fucking never ending gaming goodness that is STEAM.

Bethesda made a slightly broken game on 2 platforms and a completely broken game on 1.

there first post release patch broke more things then it fixed and they are suing the Minecraft guy.

but thats just my opinion.
While in general I understand the sentiment, I almost never play TF2 anymore, partly because I'm playing another game, and partly because when I -do- get on the GAF server, things are so glitchy and there's so much of the sound loop almost-crash, that it doesn't seem as enjoyable as it used to be. The ingame overlay claims it's running at 50-60 fps, but when I'm a heavy and trying to spin around makes everything chug, it sure doesn't feel like it used to.

Maybe I need to download a third party tool to defrag TF2 files, or try different servers, but I feel like TF2 has gone downhill especially since the Halloween update this year (if that was the point where the game started crashing for a lot of people for the next month or so).

KingK

in 2011 they had

Portal 2. + FREE dlc.

Bethesda made a slightly broken game on 2 platforms and a completely broken game on 1.

there first post release patch broke more things then it fixed and they are suing the Minecraft guy.

I completely agree. I don't even like Valve's games, but they're a great studio that obviously has a lot of respect for their fans.

You can say what you want about MGS games, but their trailers have always rocked. "ACTIVATE IT" is better than anything in that trailer.

Say what? I love MGS trailers but this one was horrid. I'm glad this is not a numbered mgs game and more of a spinoff, it looks terrible.

vaelic

Banned
Was this posted? :p

(From Ed Boon's Twitter):

One of the best parts of the VGA's is seeing game industry friends. We are planning Gears of Arkham Kombat.

9bILT.jpg

cliffy b is so annoying

This was one phony awards show. It felt more like a celeb-powered commercial than a gesture for excellence in game design. I would trust just about any of the ongoing YouTube game reviewers to do a far better job. Dislike!

Noshino

in 2011 they had

Portal 2. + FREE dlc.

I don't even like Valve games (I find their gameplay mechanics rather uninteresting), nor use Steam... but I wouldn't be against them getting it.

J-Rzez

Add in that they didn't even thank their fucking fans in their speeches as well (iirc), just going further to show they don't care about the consumer one bit.

Anyways, I believe it's the one's I'm thinking of, but the GDC awards are superior to this show in nearly every aspect. At least they let the damned devs speak. And they don't set back the industry in any shape or form. I mean, Spike isn't the best channel, but it's a viable outlet to get gaming out there more, and when people tune in to it out of curiosity, they see this mess. :(

Hylian7

Don't get the hype train starting. Would it be DLC if anything?

There is a bunch of analysis of the Wheatley video going on around the internet. Some people claim to see lambda constellations in the stars. Some people claim to see headcrabs when Wheatley is fixing the camera at the beginning. The text at the top is interesting, and mentions "lanthanum", although not sure what it means. People are finding interesting things in this text all over the internet.

demolitio

There is a bunch of analysis of the Wheatley video going on around the internet. Some people claim to see lambda constellations in the stars. Some people claim to see headcrabs when Wheatley is fixing the camera at the beginning. The text at the top is interesting, and mentions "lanthanum", although not sure what it means. People are finding interesting things in this text all over the internet.

Awesome, I'll have to read up on it then. Thanks.

I still haven't done the last Portal 2 DLC since my asshole friend randomly disowned me...lol

Wow @ Bethesda winning Studio of the Year. What a fucking joke. Expect more companies to release straight BROKEN games and win accolades all around in the future.

Siaynoqq

Ended up meeting Kojima tonight.... so awesome.

Funny thing is, almost no one was crowding him. People probably didn't even appreciate who he was when he came on at the end. Pretty sure like 90% of the audience talked about mw3 whole time I was overhearing stuff. Guy next to me called halo a "fighting game."

NewFresh

Funny thing is, almost no one was crowding him. People probably didn't even appreciate who he was when he came on at the end. Pretty sure like 90% of the audience talked about mw3 whole time I was overhearing stuff. Guy next to me called halo a "fighting game."

Most people there probably not involved with video games so it makes sense that they would be talking about the most mainstream item.

Sinoox

Banned

Was anyone crowding Miyamoto?

Yeah, very conflicted about rising...it definitely looks like a platinum game. Its a pity they scrapped the old engine, because visually it did look quite a bit better than what has been shown now. On the other hand, this will very likely be day 1.

Petrichor

in 2011 they had

Portal 2. + FREE dlc.

Valve disqualified themselves with that ridiculous early launch fiasco.

... in my opinion.

Noshino

Yeah, very conflicted about rising...it definitely looks like a platinum game. Its a pity they scrapped the old engine, because visually it did look quite a bit better than what has been shown now. On the other hand, this will very likely be day 1.

The old engine was Kojima's though, I think given that there wasnt much developed it was easier for PG to just use their own.

Valve disqualified themselves with that ridiculous early launch fiasco.

... in my opinion.

what is this whole "early launch fiasco" if you don't mind me asking?

Is there a summary of what happened anywhere?

Lots of corny jokes that only gamers would understand including numerous teabagging demonstrations.
Bunch of skits?(not sure what to call them) that had game like tasks in real life.
Numerous game reveals including not only a new ND game but also new ND studio
3 awards were presented.
Kojima had a stroke live on stage while introducing his new game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
what is this whole "early launch fiasco" if you don't mind me asking?

During the second Portal 2 ARG, a clue was found that pointed to the game unlocking on April 15th. However, when that time came, we instead were greeted with a GLaDOS@Home page which apparently required Potato Sack games to be played as a means of providing auxiliary power to GLaDOS so she boots up and the game unlocks, but it became clear that the progress bars were rigged and the game would in fact unlock no sooner than the 19th. A Valve employee later confirmed in an interview (on a podcast, IIRC - probably Steamcast) that they had indeed intended to unlock the game on the 15th as per the aforementioned clue, however EA either caught wind of this or changed their mind on the matter and complained (they are Valve's retail distributor, after all), presumably worried an early Steam release would adversely cannibalise retail sales, resulting in the aforementioned few-day delay.

Xun

Lots of corny jokes that only gamers would understand including numerous teabagging demonstrations.
Bunch of skits?(not sure what to call them) that had game like tasks in real life.
Numerous game reveals including not only a new ND game but also new ND studio
3 awards were presented.
Kojima had a stroke live on stage while introducing his new game.
Where's the new Naughty Dog studio?

Also I just watched the video with Kojima, poor guy.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Where's the new Naughty Dog studio?

Also I just watched the video with Kojima, poor guy.

I think he's referring to the ND splinter team that's been working on The Last of Us for the past two years. They're not a separate entity in a corporate or business sense (e.g. this isn't a case of BioWare and BioWare Victory) - it's still Naughty Dog.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I'm in the same boat as everyone. Does anyone take the VGAs seriously aside from the game reveals? I know I don't.

Heck, Bethesda winning studio of the year? Even though their main horse is borked on the PS3? I would have guessed it would have been Rocksteady Studios - at least their game brings the best out of their respective platforms.

For GOTY, it's pretty much a given it would be against Skyrim, Uncharted 3 and Arkham City. While not disputing Skyrim's win, the other "awards" were pretty much a joke.

Battlefield 3 NOT even being nominated in the best graphics category? Is this because it's best on PC or some other anomaly?

Modern Warfare 3 winning best FPS isn't really a big surprise. Heck, what does it make now? Three straight VGAs with CoD winning best shooter? Yeah, what a surprise. They should package that award into the yearly "CoD wins CoD award" award. Ugh.

Best multiplayer Portal 2? Again, not dissing but you're (VGA) seriously telling me that Portal 2 had better online multiplayer than Gears, MW3 or BF3? Yeah...

No wonder even game industry people (that are not affiliated with Spike, Gametrailers, etc) see this "event" and awards show as a joke - because it is!

They should just remake the show into a game reveals show or something and we would all be better for it.

Same reason why they NEED to include game reveals...because no one would give a rat's ass if they didn't.

Can you imagine if the Oscars or other media award giving show doing the same? Nope, they don't need to...Promising trailers for "unannounced movie from X director" just to drum up hype and audience share? Not needed. VGAs NEED that hook just to get people to tune in and in some cases, they're not even worth that.

Only saving grace for me was Naughty Dog's Last of Us game.

Was the VGAs that bad or am I being cynical?

Lakitu

st5fu
Feel sorry for Kojima. Hope he doesn't feel too bad. Just imagine you had to go to an awards show in a different country and speak a completely different language that you are not yet comfortable with.

Radec

* = winnar

Game Of The Year:
Batman: Arkham City
*The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Portal 2
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Studio Of The Year:
*Bethesda Game Studios
Naughty Dog
Rocksteady
Valve

Best Xbox 360 Game:
*Batman: Arkham City
Forza Motorsport 4
Gears of War 3
Portal 2

Best PS3 Game:
Infamous 2
Killzone 3
LittleBigPlanet 2
*Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Best Wii Game:
Disney's Epic Mickey
Kirby's Return To Dream Land
Lost In Shadow
*The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Best PC Game:
Battlefield 3
Minecraft
The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings
*Portal 2

Best Handheld/Mobile Game:
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Infinity Blade
*Super Mario 3D Land
Jetpack Joyride

Best Shooter:
Battlefield 3
*Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Gears of War 3
Rage

Best Action Adventure Game:
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Best RPG:
Dark Souls
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dragon Age 2
*The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Best Multi-Player:
Battlefield 3
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Gears Of War 3
*Portal 2

Best Individual Sports Game:
*Fight Night Champion
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters
Top Spin 4
Virtua Tennis 4

Best Team Sports Game:
FIFA Soccer 12
*NBA 2K12
NHL 12
MLB '11: The Show

Best Driving Game:
Dirt 3
Driver: San Francisco
*Forza Motorsport 4
Need For Speed: The Run

Best Fighting Game:
The King Of Fighters XIII
Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
*Mortal Kombat
WWE All Stars

Best Motion Game:
Child Of Eden
Dance Central 2
*The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Gunstringer

Best Independent Game:
Bastion
*Minecraft
Superbrothers: Sword And Sworcery EP
The Binding Of Isaac

Best Adapted Video Game:
Back To The Future: The Game
Captain America: Super Soldier
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

Best Song In A Game:
*Bastion: "Build that Wall (Zia’s Theme)” by Darren Korb
Portal 2: "Exile Vilify" by The National
Dragon Age 2: “I'm Not Calling You a Liar” by Florence + the Machine
Bastion: "Setting Sail, Coming Home (End Theme)" by Darren Korb

Best Original Score:
*Bastion
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Portal 2

Best Graphics:
L.A. Noire
Rage

Best Performance By A Human Male:
Portal 2: J.K. Simmons as Cave Johnson
Batman: Arkham City: Mark Hamill as The Joker
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception: Nolan North as Nathan Drake
*Portal 2: Stephen Merchant as Wheatley

Best Performance By A Human Female:
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception: Claudia Black as Chloe Frazer
*Portal 2: Ellen McLain as GLaDOS
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception: Emily Rose as Elena Fisher
Batman: Arkham City: Tara Strong as Harley Quinn

Best Downloadable Game:
*Bastion
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Stacking
Trenched

Best DLC:
Fallout: New Vegas - Old World Blues
Mass Effect 2: Arrival
Mortal Kombat: Freddy Krueger
*Portal 2 Peer Review

Battlefield 3 am cry.

* = winnar

Best Xbox 360 Game:
Forza Motorsport 4
Gears of War 3
Portal 2

Best PS3 Game:
Infamous 2
Killzone 3
LittleBigPlanet 2

Best PC Game:
Battlefield 3
Minecraft
The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings
*Portal 2

If they bother giving out awards for each system, then don't nominate games that are available on all these systems (Wii therefore excluded).

If one would apply a troll-logic system to this, it would now look like this:

is better than:
Infamous 2, Killzone 3, LittleBigPlanet 2
which are better than:
Batman: Arkham City (because it didn't even make it into the PS3 list)
which is better than:
Forza Motorsport 4, Gears of War 3
which are better than or equally good as:
Portal 2
which is better than:
Battlefield 3, Minecraft, The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings
...which are at the same time better than:
Batman: Arkham City (because it didn't even make it into the PC list)
PARADOX

now add that The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is still the best game overall etc.... aaaaaahhh

L O Fucking L at Bethesda winning studio of the year considering they're disaster on the PS3. Should have gone to Valve or Naughty Dog. The rest of the winners aren't really anything to complain about though.

The game is nearly perfect on 360 and PC. Just because it's fucked up on one system doesn't mean it doesn't deserve its accolades; I put in over 200 hours in the game and will easily put many more. Don't be mad.

Also congrats to Rocksteady and Valve! Portal 2 ran away with awards.

I read something in here yesterday about people expecting new Xbox to be announced in January based on something said in the VGAs, can anyone tell me what that was?

Argh!

I was at a Christmas party last night and missed the show. I want to watch it and from what I can find...it's nowhere on the internet. : /

Anyone have any advice on how to watch this thing after the fact?

Top Bottom