• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 RPG thread - A weak sequel but still a good year

BMTR

Neo Member
Weak? a new mainline Tales, persona 5, new YS and Xenoblade X
those are more than enough for me to make it the best year for JRPG since forever

lets not forget Devil survivor 2, Etrian odyssey 5 ( I have yet to catch up with this series ) and Disgaea 5

Durante

How so? I haven't started it yet but most reviews seem to point towards the story being more entertaining and the encounters retaining the same handcrafted appeal with the hit detection system being adjusted for the better. Metacritic obviously isn't the end all but it's rated a full 10 points higher and given there's no discussion of the game on this site I'm surprised to see you say that.
There's discussion on it on RPGCodex. Which is generally incomparably better at judging the quality of an RPG than Metacritic. But hey, I'm sure to try it for myself at some point, and it would be nice to be positively surprised (like I was by the first game).

That Underrail snub in the OP tho.

It's like literally Fallout 3 in all but name.
Actually, I also think the Fallouts are pretty overrated. Their position is easily my biggest personal disagreement with the RPGCodex "top RPGs of all time" list. As I said, I like parties in my isometric RPGs -- I feel like battles are simply far less interesting without complete party control.

*sees thread title* Makes perfect sense if you're PC only or even a PC primary gamer.
I'm an RPG gamer and play all types on all platforms -- just look at the second entry in my special selection. But I don't think the 2 or 3 big name console titles this year quite make up for the lack of variety in the genre overall compared to 2014.

Basically, 2014 has at least one equivalent in each sub-genre of each game slated for 2015, while the reverse sadly isn't the case.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
There's discussion on it on RPGCodex. Which is generally incomparably better at judging the quality of an RPG than Metacritic. But hey, I'm sure to try it for myself at some point, and it would be nice to be positively surprised (like I was by the first game).

Actually, I also think the Fallouts are pretty overrated. Their position is easily my biggest personal disagreement with the RPGCodex "top RPGs of all time" list. As I said, I like parties in my isometric RPGs -- I feel like battles are simply far less interesting without complete party control.

I'm an RPG gamer and play all types on all platforms -- just look at the second entry in my special selection. But I don't think the 2 or 3 big name console titles this year quite make up for the lack of variety in the genre overall compared to 2014.

Basically, 2014 has at least one equivalent in each sub-genre of each game slated for 2015, while the reverse sadly isn't the case.

And choice is far less interesting in every one of those party rpgs. Fallout has some serious advantages.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I thought I knew you man. You're dead to me. You hear me, DEAD!

Seriously though. Fallout 2 is the best CRPG of all time. That's scientific *fact*.

Durante

I think I completed all the updates people posted, let me know if I missed anything.

Are you sure MMX didn't sell well?
Sadly, quite sure.

And when I mean sadly I mean it really makes me sad, like few things in gaming do these days. There's basically no one else even attempting to do that kind of game.

I thought I knew you man. You're dead to me. You hear me, DEAD!

Seriously though. Fallout 2 is the best CRPG of all time. That's scientific *fact*.
No, that's Planescape: Torment.

Even the Codex agrees :p

Sinatar

I've got the math right here.

formula.jpg

See? Fallout 2.

kiyoaki

I won't have enough time to play more than three big RPGs anyway, so for me this year is going to be just as great as the last one. I'll definitely get Persona 5 and Shadowrun: Hong Kong, and probably Pillars or Torment, and I'm set.

dude

dude

UMMM EXCUSE ME, EXCUSE ME, EXCUSE ME

The best RPG of all time is Baldur's Gate 2.

And the Codex would say a cucumber is the best thing ever if someone told them Avellone wrote it.

Sinatar

A fight between Fallout 2, PST and BG2 would probably tear reality asunder.

Probably best to just accept that they are the best.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sadly, quite sure.

And when I mean sadly I mean it really makes me sad, like few things in gaming do these days. There's basically no one else even attempting to do that kind of game.

Wait, I thought MMX did well for them?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
There is no justice on Earth

edit: The PST and BG2 talk.... there can only be one. That one is PST, but both are on another level. Playing through DAI again now in hopes that the game is fixed for me and it is just sad to see where Bioware is now in comparison.

Compared to PST, BG2 is just bland.

Well, compared to PST, everything is bland.

I blame the Forgotten Realms, personnally. Cliched fantasy settings do a very poor justice to Fantasy as a genre.

Sadly, quite sure.

I hope the new Bard's Tale game will count...

All around great year for RPGs. I can't wait for Xenoblade to come out. So I will be getting Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Xenoblade X, Persona 5 (lol), Disgaea 5, and Ys. Can't wait!

Almost feel like we should add "7/10 Durante hype points" as a bullet point to our Cosmic Star Heroine marketing material. :)

I see why some people preferred 2014, but 2015 has sequels to many of my favorite games - Persona 5, Xenoblade X, Trails SC - as well as the first game we've ever done that we've been able to spend more than a year on, so I think 2015 is going to be at least as good as 2014.

dude

dude
True story, I've never finished Arcanum. I've made 3 attempts, never could choke it down.

It's a mess as a game. Almost unplayable.
Which is a shame because it's otherwise pretty great.

Baldur's Gate 2 is dull? I weep for you, Durante. I weep.

2015 seems NUTS for RPGs, and that's based on XCX and Persona 5 alone. Need those games in me.

Bravely Second getting a late 2015 release would be nice too, but that seems like a dream too far. Maybe just for Europe.

Fallout 2 isn't even the best Fallout game out of the two that exist.

It has more content than Fallout, and it fleshed out the world in some interesting ways, but it's not as pure and the tone and humor is all over the place.

Dresden

I see 'arcanum is unplayable' all the time but it's really not, it's just kinda broken (lol) and janky and the combat is like a how-to guide on things not to do (except for turn based backstabbing; loved it there and loved it in D:OS as well). But if you get past those things it's a smooth ride, except for the camera control that's tethered and locked to not go beyond a certain distance from your character. Otherwise, it's all good. Playing it will turn you into a better person, a figure of patience and understanding who understands that Arcanum is fucking great.

---

As for BG2 it's definitely one of those greater than the sum of its parts deal - like the writing is just okay, the cast is mostly middling and forgettable, and its tactical complexity is rooted around a stacked magic system with tons of filler spells. That it's a damned good adventure is undeniable and the love shown for it is testament, I feel, to the way RPG fans are willing to overlook certain flaws, understanding that jank is inevitable, that with projects of such size certain areas are going to be weaker than others, and that critical appreciation in the end can't be cut down to a checklist of pros and flaws.

Sinatar

Torment got haha-if-you-think-this-releases-in-2015-I-got-a-bridge-to-sell-you/10? Bias!

It's not bias, there is just no way that game releases this year. inXile was all hands on deck for Wasteland 2, they've only been going full blast on Torment for a few months now.

It's a 2016 release, bank on it.

Almighty

Fallout 2 isn't even the best Fallout game out of the two that exist.

It has more content than Fallout, and it fleshed out the world in some interesting ways, but it's not as pure and the tone and humor is all over the place.

This right here. I was LTTP with the first two Fallouts, but the first one is clearly the best one. Fallout 2 was the beginning of the end in my book.

Anyway as for the recent conversation you are all crazy the best RPG was Bloodlines.

Labadal

I see 'arcanum is unplayable' all the time but it's really not, it's just kinda broken (lol) and janky and the combat is like a how-to guide on things not to do (except for turn based backstabbing; loved it there and loved it in D:OS as well). But if you get past those things it's a smooth ride, except for the camera control that's tethered and locked to not go beyond a certain distance from your character. Otherwise, it's all good. Playing it will turn you into a better person, a figure of patience and understanding who understands that Arcanum is fucking great.

---

As for BG2 it's definitely one of those greater than the sum of its parts deal - like the writing is just okay, the cast is mostly middling and forgettable, and its tactical complexity is rooted around a stacked magic system with tons of filler spells. That it's a damned good adventure is undeniable and the love shown for it is testament, I feel, to the way RPG fans are willing to overlook certain flaws, understanding that jank is inevitable, that with projects of such size certain areas are going to be weaker than others, and that critical appreciation in the end can't be cut down to a checklist of pros and flaws.

My dream is a spiritual successor to Arcanum with decent combat. Yes, I would be happy with decent combat if everything else about Arcanum that I loved is still intact.

Has anyone had a go at "I Shall Remain" yet?

Seems like it might be out of Early Access sometime near the end of this quarter. It looks to be a bit of a ARPG zombie survival game set at the end of WW2.

Has anyone had a go at "I Shall Remain" yet?

Seems like it might be out of Early Access sometime near the end of this quarter. It looks to be a bit of a ARPG zombie survival game set at the end of WW2.

Wow, looks great.
After reading the early access reviews, now I'm hyped!

Sinatar

Oh what about that RPG with the physics based combat... it was on kickstarter... ugh whats it called again? Something Genesis? Soy Generic? Whatever the hell, it looked kinda cool and I imagine given that it's been development for eons has gotta be coming out soon.

Arulan

Since this is the now de facto place to talk about RPGs, everyone should read this interview from RPGCodex: RPG Codex Retrospective Interview: Richard Seaborne on Escape from Hell, Myraglen, and Prophecy.

Escape from Hell has a number of fairly unique features. One of those is using special tridents, scattered across Hell, to shape the environment by altering the surrounding landscape and time frame. The idea of shaping the gameworld to your advantage or disadvantage remains, I believe, fairly underexplored even today. Was this feature implemented as fully as you had initially envisaged it?

Escape from Hell was an open-world design with the player being able to explore as much or as little as desired to finish the game, offering opportunity to go back and replay with different party combinations, gear, and quest choices to see what might happen differently.

The Tridents were another vehicle for the player to change things up, controlling combat difficulty and encounter outcomes by cleverly manipulating the “world” and technology levels. The Trident concept to re-shape the world and time frame was something I would’ve loved to have done more with, but became difficult to employ effectively within the reduced three planes of Hell (instead of the envisioned nine circles).​

This little tidbit has me interested in checking out Escape from Hell just to find out to what extent the Tridents' effects were. Fantastic interview though. It's hilarious that a site of RPG enthusiast who aren't professionals continue to conduct better interviews, and acquire more interesting information out of them than any of the actual professionals and corresponding websites.

The game has some impressive art too:

12141.png

12144.png

Zukuu

Banned
I think we all know that NieR is the best RPG in existence, or at least when it comes to story / impact / setting and music.

Atmosphere wise, nothing tops Gothic 1 and 2. NOTHING. Not even close. It's alone in its league.

In terms of best cRPG, I'm torn between a few. Wouldn't it been for the atrocious combat, Torment would probably take the cake, but since that's not the case, I dunno really. Now if we'd had Torment's setting and characters with Divinity:OS' combat...

Durante

Sui Generis. Last update was three months ago when they released some kind of alpha. No idea if it's any good.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis/posts/1029372
Sui Generis won't be out this year, I've got the standalone prequel Exanima in the OP.

Since this is the now de facto place to talk about RPGs, everyone should read this interview from RPGCodex: RPG Codex Retrospective Interview: Richard Seaborne on Escape from Hell, Myraglen, and Prophecy.
Yeah, it's an amazing interview and everyone should read it.

Durante

New page? Read this interview:

No way is 2015 a weak year. It looks like it will be an amazing year for us!
I still don't get these posts.

I never said it was a weak year, just a weak sequel to 2014. Which, if you look at the breadth and depth across the entire RPG landscape, it is.

Of course, it's still looking to be a better year than anything other than 2014 in at least the past 8 years or so. Ergo good year, weak sequel.

Top Bottom