• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2017 RPG Discussion Thread

Miletius

Remember how White Wolf was acquired by Paradox, and suddenly the door seemed open for an awesome World of Darkness RPG? Well the good news is that there is a Werewolf RPG in development. Buuuut... it's being developed by Cyanide & published by Focus Home, the group that brought you Game of Thrones, Confrontation, and Of Orcs and Men.

They did make Styx, I guess, so there is hope. But still, as much as I wanted a Werewolf RPG, I think I got monkey paw'd here.

That does not sound promising at all. I thought Styx was decent but nothing to write home about. Got probably about 2/3's of the way through before putting it down. And yeah, Game of Thrones...

Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. Maybe, as others have hinted, Obsidian will get the nod after they (or simultaneously) developing PoE 2 and some sort of Vampire RPG.

Mephala

So I came here to check if there were any interesting updates and maybe add a write up to something I'm looking forward to. I don't know what happened but is someone else going to make an RPG discussions thread to keep track of things?

I restored the previous versions of the posts. RPG Discussion 2017 will live on ;)

On that note, has anyone here played Battle Brothers? Learned it about a few days ago and it sounds incredible. Is it as reactive and complex as the dev's posts say?

Arulan

I restored the previous versions of the posts. RPG Discussion 2017 will live on ;)

On that note, has anyone here played Battle Brothers? Learned it about a few days ago and it sounds incredible. Is it as reactive and complex as the dev's posts say?

Thanks.

It's one of my most anticipated games of the year. I've been following its progress for some time now, though I've refrained from playing it myself until it's done. That said, there is a very lengthy and active thread on RPG Codex.

Dabi

After all these years, 2017 will be the one where I finally play my first RPG... and second... and thi-... shieeet.

Theres like 10 games on this list (including the KH collections) I'll 100% be playing through lol.

rip.

All of those indies saving the Tactical RPG/SRPG genre single handedly! So happy to see so many SRPGs, looking forward to Arcadian Atlas the most.

I'm hoping that Call of Cthulhu and Vampyr are dark horses and surprise everybody by how great they end up, since I'm secretly hoping they turn out great. Normally love my mid tier games like those. Children of the Zodiarcs is a nice new game to look forward to that I just discovered thanks to this topic, looks right up my alley! Regalia also looks really cool, like a cartoony and fun SRPG experience hopefully.

FFXII HD Remaster, Yakuza 1 Remake (Kiwami), Nioh, Nier: Automata, Persona 5 and Fire Emblem Echoes are definite day one buys (already on pre-order).

Death's Gambit looks freaking sweet. A bit unsure with regards to Caligula on Vita, need to hear more impressions first before getting that in such a ridiculously packed year.

Mass Effect: Andromeda I sincerely hope is good but will be waiting on it first to see the reception first before taking the plunge. Way too risky with how BioWare are nowadays.

This is one frantic and crazy good year for games.

Lanrutcon

It's very cool, but rather hardcore.

What's very interesting about it is that sometimes you gotta go "Nope. Economically, I can't justify fighting that band of <x>. Not because I can't/won't win, because I can't win well enough.". The management aspects are just as important as the tactical aspects.

Vetro

Well i've finished FF XV some time ago. At the moment i'm playing Tales of Berseria. Next week i'll be getting my shipment of Horizon and Torment.

I don't have time for all of this :( - Zelda is also next week, plus all the other games coming like ME:A, please help.

evilsin

Well i've finished FF XV some time ago. At the moment i'm playing Tales of Berseria. Next week i'll be getting my shipment of Horizon and Torment.

I don't have time for all of this :( - Zelda is also next week, plus all the other games coming like ME:A, please help.
Same, and what adds to this is a huge backlog thanks to all the PSN sales. I pray I survive till my retirement to play all of these.

Famassu

No Nier: Automata?

Ushay

Just Torment and Mass Effect Andromeda for me so far. Hoping for something big from either Bethesda or Bioware this summer for a fall release.

Really intrigued by this game.

2017 has been real great to me so far in terms of RPG's. I'm drip-feeding Horizon until ME:A comes out, and after that I've got Persona 5 to look forward to. I'm also still playing through Pillars, and I'm definitely buying Torment once it drops in price too. I even have Wasteland 2 and Divinity in my backlog. Just good stuff all around.

The Wart

This sounds super duper interesting. Looks like instead of roleplaying a character that exists in your head, you are guiding the psychological development of the player character. Almost makes me think of something like... Princess Maker? Heh.

One thing that I felt was lacking in Planescape Torment (one of their inspirations) was that the game had no real way of representing or reacting to your characters' internal beliefs and intentions (I mean, beyond the inane D&D alignment system). So I'm excited to see someone take a crack at that.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
S
U
B
S
C
R
I
B
E
D
!
!
!

Codex's praise and Humble publishing confirmed that Furies' gameplay will be decent at the very least

Only real question was the writing

So Chris Avellone teasing on Twitter that he's involved with No Truce With The Furies is pretty exciting

Arthea

Codex's praise and Humble published confirmed that Furies' gameplay will be decent at the very least

Only real question was the writing

So Chris Avellone teasing on Twitter that he's involved with No Truce With The Furies is pretty exciting

it almost sounds too good to be true

Voke

Banned
Thinking of picking up Tales, i've never played the series before. Is it a good game to start at? Anything I should know about it before I bite?

Arthea

Thinking of picking up Tales, i've never played the series before. Is it a good game to start at? Anything I should know about it before I bite?

Tales games are standalone, you don't need to play any others or in any particular order, except for two Symphonia games.
There is no need of any prior knowledge also. It is even beneficial to know nothing about them, as most play very similarly.

evilsin

Tales of Berseria is considered one of the best in the series, so you'll probably enjoy it. Mind that it's pretty long.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

3ohzdFMTjhvP3fwvba.gif

Arulan

PAX was fantastic.

I got to meet Swen Vincke; charismatic as always. We spoke briefly about (in)balance, and he showed me the teleporting pyramids. Now there are four of them. The polymorpher class/abilities looks incredible! One of the abilities he showed me allows you to grow wings and quickly fly from point to point. I believe he said each flight only cost 1AP, which allowed him to quickly fly from several vantage points. You can also turn your arm into a tentacle to disarm an opponent, and turn enemies into sheep. The summoner class could summon (devil-looking) creatures and totems, both of which changed depending on what type of surface you summoned them in. I don't know if this is new, but my friend and I rushed the teleporting crocodiles to test out the new classes/abilities, and found that they teleported an oil barrel onto us. Previously they had only teleported themselves in my experience.

I briefly met Chris Avellone. He was part of a fantastic panel titled Cults and Suffering, largely covering evil in RPGs. Murdering children was a re-occurring theme throughout.

Expeditions: Viking looked great too.

I spoke with Mike Laidlaw of BioWare for some time about the concessions that mainstream RPGs make, and BioWare's place when it comes to RPG enthusiasts. We spoke briefly about The Age of Decadence and some of the recent releases in the past four years. I also asked him if there was any place for smaller-budget RPGs that could target that audience from them. His response was that EA largely only knows how to make large-scale productions, and wouldn't find it a valuable use of personnel when they could be added to another (large) project.

I'm not much of a fan of BioWare's last three releases (Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 3, and Dragon Age: Inquisition), but I very much appreciated speaking with him and his insights on the topics we discussed.

The surprise of the show though was Forged of Blood.

I came by the PAX booth... several times.

I played two scenarios. The first one in the town with the bridges I was still learning the mechanics, and I think I probably would've won if the casting-magic-through-the-building bug wasn't present. I was victorious on the forest scenario after though.

The game looks fantastic. It was one of my favorite games of the show, and an unexpected surprise for me. I'm a little skeptical on the magic-crafting, mostly because of how difficult that is to achieve properly, but what I heard sounded pretty good. There is some good information on the Kickstarter page too. I do really like the magic with laws though. Having to make sure to take in heat energy through the ice spell in order to continue using the fire spell was a enjoyable consideration to spell casting. Likewise preventing the two-handed maul characters from attacking characters directly next to it, and giving it somewhat of a short range, made them a lot more tactically interesting than simply another front-line warrior, but with different attack rolls. I didn't get to experience it directly in the demo, but it looks like there will some nice reactivity based on where you decide to travel to in time-sensitive situations. The art looks great too. One of the handouts from the booth, the one with the character holding a stone that emanates what appears to be a blinding light, got a lot of positive reactions from other developers as I was holding on to it throughout the day.

Magic had a very long range. They mentioned bows weren't currently in the build, which is perhaps why magic-casters were so strong. Apparently there will be bow-wielding characters whose role is to hunt down magic-users. The other character in the build wielded a dagger which you could throw. He seemed fairly strong when supporting another melee character, although as you would expect not the best choice against heavily armored characters. It was also mentioned that accuracy would be affected by how thick the tree cover was between yourself and your target (for ranged attacks).

Pledged!

This game needs to make its Kickstarter campaign!

Thanks for the scoop! I've been dying to learn more about DOS2, particularly the Polymorpher (aka best class ever made).

Looking forward to Larian's Kickstarter update on the event.

Mephala

Thanks for the write up. Can you tell me a bit more on vikings? I'm kind of itching for a SRPG and I really enjoyed Conquistador.

Will definitely check out Forge of Blood. Sounds interested and it wasn't on my radar before.

bwakh

That is a huge list. Pretty amazed by the output in the rpg genre recently. Especially the 2D isometric ones. Exciting times!

Arulan

Thanks for the write up. Can you tell me a bit more on vikings? I'm kind of itching for a SRPG and I really enjoyed Conquistador.

Will definitely check out Forge of Blood. Sounds interested and it wasn't on my radar before.

I didn't spend much time with the demo, but I did speak with the developer there. It seems that your stronghold will be something you'll receive from the start. There appears to be an even greater focus on skill checks. One of the more interesting things he discussed was a system that adds special properties to weapons based on your actions with them. For instance, if you crush a lot of skulls with a mull, it might gain the reputation of skull-crusher. He explained that it's a psychological effect though and wouldn't transfer over to new owners. I asked him specifically if this system would include faction-based effects if you were to kill many of the same group of people with it, but he doesn't believe that's currently in there.

Oh, and I PM'd you a Steam code for an item when the game comes out. I realized I took two of the flyers.

Staf

PAX was fantastic.

I got to meet Swen Vincke; charismatic as always. We spoke briefly about (in)balance, and he showed me the teleporting pyramids. Now there are four of them. The polymorpher class/abilities looks incredible! One of the abilities he showed me allows you to grow wings and quickly fly from point to point. I believe he said each flight only cost 1AP, which allowed him to quickly fly from several vantage points. You can also turn your arm into a tentacle to disarm an opponent, and turn enemies into sheep. The summoner class could summon (devil-looking) creatures and totems, both of which changed depending on what type of surface you summoned them in. I don't know if this is new, but my friend and I rushed the teleporting crocodiles to test out the new classes/abilities, and found that they teleported an oil barrel onto us. Previously they had only teleported themselves in my experience.

I briefly met Chris Avellone. He was part of a fantastic panel titled Cults and Suffering, largely covering evil in RPGs. Murdering children was a re-occurring theme throughout.

I spoke with Mike Laidlaw of BioWare for some time about the concessions that mainstream RPGs make, and BioWare's place when it comes to RPG enthusiasts. We spoke briefly about The Age of Decadence and some of the recent releases in the past four years. I also asked him if there was any place for smaller-budget RPGs that could target that audience from them. His response was that EA largely only knows how to make large-scale productions, and wouldn't find it a valuable use of personnel when they could be added to another (large) project.

I'm not much of a fan of BioWare's last three releases (Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 3, and Dragon Age: Inquisition), but I very much appreciated speaking with him and his insights on the topics we discussed.

The surprise of the show though was Forged of Blood.

I came by the PAX booth... several times.

I played two scenarios. The first one in the town with the bridges I was still learning the mechanics, and I think I probably would've won if the casting-magic-through-the-building bug wasn't present. I was victorious on the forest scenario after though.

The game looks fantastic. It was one of my favorite games of the show, and an unexpected surprise for me. I'm a little skeptical on the magic-crafting, mostly because of how difficult that is to achieve properly, but what I heard sounded pretty good. There is some good information on the Kickstarter page too. I do really like the magic with laws though. Having to make sure to take in heat energy through the ice spell in order to continue using the fire spell was a enjoyable consideration to spell casting. Likewise preventing the two-handed maul characters from attacking characters directly next to it, and giving it somewhat of a short range, made them a lot more tactically interesting than simply another front-line warrior, but with attack rolls. I didn't get to experience it directly in the demo, but it looks like there will some nice reactivity based on where you decide to travel to in time-sensitive situations. The art looks great too. I believe I mentioned that one of the handouts from the booth, the one with the character holding a stone that emanates what appears to be a blinding light, got a lot of positive reactions from other developers as I was holding on to it throughout the day.

Magic had a very long range. They mentioned bows weren't currently in the build, which is perhaps why magic-casters were so strong. Apparently there will be bow-wielding characters whose role is to hunt down magic-users. The other character in the build wielded a dagger which you could throw. He seemed fairly strong when supporting another melee character, although as you would expect not the best choice against heavily armored characters. It was also mentioned that accuracy would be affected by how thick the tree cover was between yourself and your target (for ranged attacks).

Pledged!

This game needs to make its Kickstarter campaign!

Great post, thanks!

Mephala

I didn't spend much time with the demo, but I did speak with the developer there. It seems that your stronghold will be something you'll receive from the start. There appears to be an even greater focus on skill checks. One of the more interesting things he discussed was a system that adds special properties to weapons based on your actions with them. For instance, if you crush a lot of skulls with a mull, it might gain the reputation of skull-crusher. He explained that it's a psychological effect though and wouldn't transfer over to new owners. I asked him specifically if this system would include faction-based effects if you were to kill many of the same group of people with it, but he doesn't believe that's currently in there.

Oh, and I PM'd you a Steam code for an item when the game comes out. I realized I took two of the flyers.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for this.

Top Bottom