• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Tengoku-hen |OT| 7 Years, 4 Systems, 100% Burning Spirit

Bebpo

Banned
Are these new attacks only obtainable through playing the DLC stages?

I don't know, but even without knowing I'm 100% certain the answer is no. I'm sure all the attacks are stuff you get later in the main game. There's no way the DLC stages will have anything exclusive. But maybe it'll be stuff like the DLC stage has an event that introduces the new attack animation and then when you get it in the main game it'll just be there in the list and not have a mention of it.

I really wish someone would upload Dancouga Maxgod's Absolute Nova Beast attack. I really want to know if it's improved given how underwhelming Z2's version.

Few observations:

Unicorn's NT-D music is way too epic for the start of the game. Like I can see it working in end game battles but in little early stage fights it's just weird. First time I've ever changed the music for a unit in SRW; but changed it back to RX-0. Will save the new theme for the 2nd half of the game. Also, it hardly seems like a "chiptune game remix" and more like they just copy & pasted the song from the OAV soundtrack. Kind of weird.

Stage 3:
Z3 continues to do a half-assed job with Eva Rebuild. No playable beast mode, Zeruel whose entire design concept is these paper-like razor sharp arms HAS NO ARM ATTACK and is just that long range cross explosion beam; the story doesn't even explain why Eva 01 awakened form is missing an arm (why didn't they have a two second speech bubble where Shinji gets attacked by the 10th angel and they say it cut Eva's arm off); awakened form animation is kind of awkward (that cut-in after a long-range beam shot is kind of weird). And unlike the Asuka scene that got a version of the vocal scene, we don't get a version of this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hryga7GrKBA), man rewatching those 5 mins all that epic stuff was like a 2 min shallow map event; so lame, it should've been epic endgame stuff in Z3-1, not a starting little map in Z3-2 :( At least the spear pierce part is good.

Rest of the game is good so far, but never been happy with how they're handling Eva Rebuild in Z3 (outside of the Shinji vs. Asuka scene, which was very well done with the correct music and everything). Maybe they can do better next franchise after Rebuild is done and they try again. Eva Rebuild just seems so half-assed in Z3.

I don't even know why they decided to include the Rebuild movies when they're not even done with the story yet. You're gonna love how they handle Eva 3.0.

Help me, I can't stop using the Satellite Cannon.

I am only 9 stages in and Garrod already hit 90 kills.

That was me and the Guren Mk-II. Even in Z2 where it didn't upgrade; but starting with it in Z2.2...oh lordy.

I don't even know why they decided to include the Rebuild movies when they're not even done with the story yet. You're gonna love how they handle Eva 3.0.

But to be fair, Eva 3.0 on it's own was handled really poorly.

Bebpo

Banned

Pretty sure Eva Rebuild got in because A) They had to include it since it is popular and they include popular series to help sell copies of the game and B) It makes sense to combine with the other Gainax franchises with GL/Gunbuster/Diebuster.

But yeah, I don't think they cared too much about it or put much effort into Rebuild in Z3 because like you said it's not finished. I never played L but I'm guessing they didn't put much effort into Rebuild there either since they only had 1.0 to work with.
Maybe next mainline franchise Rebuild movies will be done and they'll do it properly.

Bebpo

Banned
So I'm doing a full scenario, full SR point, all DLC run like always and man, some of the SR points around the first split in each direction are nasty. Like if you didn't have the carry over bonus I think it'd be near impossible to do a full SR point run on the first playthrough.

One of the early ones wants you to take out a boss with 17k in one hit like 4-5 stages into the game. Even using 2 good units Maximum break + good unit Support attack you're not going to hit that number with starting weapon levels. Luckily I got a shit ton of cash starting Tengoku from full scenario Jigoku + Rengoku and so I maxed weapons on main MC and Mazinger, but that's still asking a lot so early in the game.

Another SR point is kind of interesting as it requires you to use a strategy that I'd never really messed around with in previous SRW games
physically trapping a unit with your units on all 4 sides so it can't move and run away, while your other characters take care of the remaining objective.

The SR points in general are a lot more complex than I've seen in past SRW games. Sometimes you still get the easy "defeat everyone in X turns" SR point, but at least half are like 2-3 sentences long complex shit. Non-semi-fluent Japanese readers are definitely going to need a guide to decipher some of these SR points.

Like Jigoku, your party starts pretty weak and the game starts fairly slow (especially if you play Rengoku first & are doing the DLC stages). It's not bad and I appreciate being challenged in SR points right from the start instead of 40 hours in. But I'm not really blowing through the first 10 episodes in 15-30 mins like Rengoku or a lot of other SRW games, even early on each stage is taking about 40+ mins. It's gonna be a long haul lol.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh and the game has a weird ass glitch. When I went to my scenario chart after the first split...it has stages 22-25 like I've already done them. I accidently clicked on the first one to see wtf was going on and it showed the summary for map 22 and I started to spoil myself on the first sentence before I realized I shouldn't be reading this!

Weird glitch. Scenario chart is blank from where I am until midway when suddenly the boxes for 22-25 appear with full summaries.

So I'm doing a full scenario, full SR point, all DLC run like always and man, some of the SR points around the first split in each direction are nasty. Like if you didn't have the carry over bonus I think it'd be near impossible to do a full SR point run on the first playthrough.
There's a thread on gamefaqs with posters claiming it's harder than Z3-1, as well.

Maybe ppl have to play really carefully if they don't have DLC or carryover bonus.

Bebpo

Banned
So I'm not sure what I think about the story early on. It's really reminding me of the worst of Alpha 3. (through stage 7 spoilers)
When I said I wanted a lot of OG in this game, I meant like SPHERE ZODIAC STUFF. Interesting characters battling for their spheres highlander style. Sidereal is so boring. It's another Balmer Empire; big space empire, with a bunch of sub-generals who are mostly paper-thin characters who you fight like EVERY FREAKING MAP. There's even a dude with a cool mask! Hell, I'm only 7 stages in and I'm already tired of fighting them and cherish every map I fight anime enemies instead of the same 3 sidereal grunts over and over.

Maybe it's just more tiring because these are all I fought during the 15 stages of Rengoku.

I dunno, it's still really early so the plot can go anywhere from here. But out of all the things Sidereal could have been, another boring space empire going around taking over planets (in Z3 for the dimensional energy of earth, in Alpha 3 for the firepower of earth) it's just such a boring plot background for a big finale. It's weird because Z1/Z2/Z3-1 didn't feel anything like Alpha, but Z3-2's setup just comes across as an Alpha 3 clone so far; which is dumb.

There's a thread on gamefaqs with posters claiming it's harder than Z3-1, as well.

Maybe ppl have to play really carefully if they don't have DLC or carryover bonus.

Well it's not even carefully. I mean when you have a boss 4-5 stages in where you have to do 17k damage in 1 attack, there's not a lot of strategy past 2 good units maximum break doing their best attacks + 1 support attack from a good unit. If you can't hit 17k damage that way, then there's nothing really to do besides upgrade weapon levels. I dunno, maybe you can pull it off with lvl.0 weapons if all 3 attacks critical or something. I'd like to think no upgrade full SR point runs are always possible in SRW, but dunno!

Well it's not even carefully. I mean when you have a boss 4-5 stages in where you have to do 17k damage in 1 attack, there's not a lot of strategy past 2 good units maximum break doing their best attacks + 1 support attack from a good unit. If you can't hit 17k damage that way, then there's nothing really to do besides upgrade weapon levels. I dunno, maybe you can pull it off with lvl.0 weapons if all 3 attacks critical or something. I'd like to think no upgrade full SR point runs are always possible in SRW, but dunno!
Like you said it's a matter of pairing your two highest damage dealers + highest damage support attack and doing a maximum break, plus all the other stuff (surround bonus, exhaust, max combo, etc.)

SRW Impact was another game where you absolutely needed upgrades to get SR points on fleeing bosses.

Beth Cyra

It unimportant and I know that, but may I ask people who bought it, did they shaft Wing all the way through and never allow it in the c.f. openers for all 5 games?

It unimportant and I know that, but may I ask people who bought it, did they shaft Wing all the way through and never allow it in the c.f. openers for all 5 games?

What's a c.f. opener?

Anyway Wing gets a disappointing showing aside from Wing Zero and Zechs having the best Ace Bonus in the game.

Beth Cyra

What's a c.f. opener?

Anyway Wing gets a disappointing showing aside from Wing Zero and Zechs having the best Ace Bonus in the game.
CG.

So the big opening cutscene. So far they've shown the lead.from every gundam show however they refused to use Wing, Wing Zero and the Wing Zero Ew and I wanted to see I'd that continued.

Maid

Banned
I do think it's time for them to take a break from Wing, or at the very least, try using "Glory of the loser" instead the old one. It's been in fatigue state for god knows how long.

Beth Cyra

I do think it's time for them to take a break from Wing, or at the very least, try using "Glory of the loser" instead the old one. It's been in fatigue state for god knows how long.
Agreed I think Wingz Seed and Zeta should be dropped for X, G and Turn A more often.

However for me.it was almost like a slap I the face as they have let every Gundam show get its time in the shine and refuse to let Wing. Why shit on a series like that? It just bothers me.

CorvoSol

Agreed I think Wingz Seed and Zeta should be dropped for X, G and Turn A more often.

However for me.it was almost like a slap I the face as they have let every Gundam show get its time in the shine and refuse to let Wing. Why shit on a series like that? It just bothers me.

At least Wing got in.

ZZ and G sat the entire series out. And while I'm not a big fan of them, personally, late UC has it even worse.

Beth Cyra

At least Wing got in.

ZZ and G sat the entire series out. And while I'm not a big fan of them, personally, late UC has it even worse.
I guess.

Then again Corvo, you and I have been crying foul about G and ZZ's treatment from very early on in the Z series.

muteki

I always end up picking the not-Gundam route at splits for some reason.

Also, game has made me want a MG DX even more than I already do. Good job, Bandai.

Bebpo

Banned
One thing I really like is the route splits (at least the initial one) feel very different in this one. Almost like two different games.

Shouta

Apparently, my package just arrived at the post office at 9:40am this morning. Which means I might not get it until tomorrow. Fucking USPS. -_-

Edit: Never mind. It got signed for just now! WOOOOOOO!

Bebpo

Banned
Apparently, my package just arrived at the post office at 9:40am this morning. Which means I might not get it until tomorrow. Fucking USPS. -_-

Edit: Never mind. It got signed for just now! WOOOOOOO!

Nice! Have fun :) I'm sure you guys'll pass me real quick.

Currently on Stage 8/6/9 of the first route split.

Pehesse

Yeah, my playthrough is going to slow down quite a bit too - I'm currently in the early 30's, but I fear those are going to take a while now that I'm back to work :-D Still, though, the events going on make it all worthwhile.

I'm sure mileage may vary, but as far as what I was hoping for, this game has already far surpassed Jigoku in my eyes, both in animation quality and in what's going on. Maybe it helps I went all super route this time, instead of all gundam in jigoku, since those were also padded with a lot of EVOL events, and those grew fastidious quite fast...

I also don't mind at all fighting Sidereal a lot (though there have been plenty of other people showing up, at least on Super routes), I feel they have decent unit variety and talking grunts always make for better opponents than AI/monsters with their bleeps or roars.

Finally, while I was somewhat unimpressed with Genion/Genion GAI in Jigoku, I gotta say Hibiki's new stuff makes up for it and I'm growing to actually like him quite a bit now. Helps a lot that the others OG hang around as well, so I'm not feeling like I'd rather have them instead :-D

(I also did a turnaround on DX on stage 30 I believe, with the SR point to defeat a boss that runs at 30000HP, since it was its unupgraded satellite cannon that sealed the deal, along with Dix-Neuf's Buster Beam. Those two make an awesome pair of long range destruction during Maximum Breaks - though I broke it up to try out Nono, but I think they'll be back together before long)

Current Top Aces:
-Alto (first one, completely by accident too since I don't really have any affinity with him, but those MAPs came in very, very handy during early Gargantia stages),
-Hibiki (because I always use OG chars, like'em or not)
-Kouji (because Photon Beam spam during enemy phase),
-Tessa (because Tuatha is the actual protag from FMP, don't let no one tell you otherwise),
-Loran (even though I didn't use his MAP once, go figure),
-Lal'c (because Dix Neuf is plain awesome)
-and Ledo (because I'm clearly faving Gargantia this playthrough, gave him 10 weapon upgrades before anyone else).
Many others since stage 30 and the increasing number of enemies (even Katz/Hathaway, thanks to the sub-orders and route split bonuses...didn't field them once, too) but those were the first I remember!

I also don't mind at all fighting Sidereal a lot (though there have been plenty of other people showing up, at least on Super routes), I feel they have decent unit variety and talking grunts always make for better opponents than AI/monsters with their bleeps or roars.
Their OG mechs are kinda boring since they are just the Gemini mecha but with a new attack. They can also use a few more lines, or maybe better written ones. So far out of all the human enemies, the Garngatia pirates are the best ones. They just xabungle breakers except now its water world instead of desert.

Bebpo

Banned
If anyone is not buying Z3-2 anytime soon, but interested in playing Rengoku-hen, I have an extra PS3/Vita combo code for the 8-10 hour 15 map OG-only mini-SRW.

Pehesse

Their OG mechs are kinda boring since they are just the Gemini mecha but with a new attack. They can also use a few more lines, or maybe better written ones. So far out of all the human enemies, the Garngatia pirates are the best ones. They just xabungle breakers except now its water world instead of desert.

Well, by my account, so far I've encountered 2 recolors of their flying mech (which, granted, has no spoken lines, but is pretty cool looking), 3 variants of the base Gemini mech with increasingly snazzier attacks, the cancer MP one, a couple battleships, that crab thing... There are also the resistance breaker type mechs which sometimes fight alongside Sidereal as well because of shenanigans so I lump them together, and that's not even going into the boss units. So yeah, so far and keeping in mind I'm only a little over halfway through, I'm pretty satisfied with their unit variety - and if they keep up the rhythm at which they've been introducing stuff so far, I kind of expect another couple if variants before all is said and done. I'm not sure what we could realistically hope for in addition to that :)

Jaeger

qleTvZu.png
BqnGqGI.png
Hey hey hey!

If anyone is not buying Z3-2 anytime soon, but interested in playing Rengoku-hen, I have an extra PS3/Vita combo code for the 8-10 hour 15 map OG-only mini-SRW.

I ordered a Vita edition that says it is coming with the code, but on the off chance it doesn't I would gladly take you up on that. If someone else asks before I find out about mine though feel free to give it to them!

Bebpo

Banned
I ordered a Vita edition that says it is coming with the code, but on the off chance it doesn't I would gladly take you up on that. If someone else asks before I find out about mine though feel free to give it to them!

It'll come with the code as they haven't released any version of the game without the code yet AFAIK. I'll wait and see if any who isn't buying the game (but has some interest in SRW and would like to check it out) wants the code first.

It'll come with the code as they haven't released any version of the game without the code yet AFAIK. I'll wait and see if any who isn't buying the game (but has some interest in SRW and would like to check it out) wants the code first.

Oh perfect! Then yeah definitely do that, I made some friends fans back in the day by letting them borrow OG 1 & 2 when it was released here.

Keylow415

i was at work all day and no one was home when they came to drop off the game and have to wait till tomarrow. pretty butt hurt right now :/

So I just saw Z3's version of Dancouga Nova's Absolute Nova Beast. Words cannot express my profound disappointment.

Seriously, how is it that after all these years, fucking L and UX still have the best version of that attack?

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, almost done with first split and it's interesting because one route (super route) is clearly the main route for the game and the one most people will pick on the first play through. It's paced really well (no more sitting around school for 10 stages fighting FMP grunts, the story is always moving to new places, feels more like a combined route than a split), keeps introducing new exciting Z3-2 stuff, and is fun. It also seems to have easier SR points after one tough one at the start.

This route is basically
cool anime stuff route

Then there's a route (Real 1) that is still pretty decent and fun alternative. Pacing is slower but still ok.

This route is basically
OG war story route

Then there's a kind of shitty route (Real 1; take 2) that's just like the previous route except in a slightly different alternate universe scenario, and worse. I like when splits are both canon (outside OG charcter) and taking place at the same time just with different team members. I don't like when two routes can't both be canon because they're essentially the same route done in a slightly different order.

This route is basically
The same OG war story route just in a different country.

Would definitely recommend people go super robot route at least on the first split if you're only doing one.

Also I didn't think I'd care about Zambot 3, but I find myself using it mainly because it's one of the few series with a good song. It's annoying how so many series in Z3 have instrumental "movie" music instead of a theme song because they're all based on movies or OAVs. I miss series that actually have freaking songs. So it's nice have stuff like Gundam X back and even Zambot 3's theme. I wish they kept one of the Gundam OO TV theme so we could change it off of the movie music.

So I just saw Z3's version of Dancouga Nova's Absolute Nova Beast. Words cannot express my profound disappointment.

Seriously, how is it that after all these years, fucking L and UX still have the best version of that attack?

If you were still holding onto any hope that they would be redoing sprites/animations in this game, yeah you're gonna be disappointed. The new stuff is pretty good, but about the only thing I've noticed from older animations that's been changed/touched up is FMP Submarine getting new cut-ins for space. That's it. Everything else is identical as far as I can tell. So use the new attacks and new units if you want new nice looking stuff :p

Maid

Banned
If you were still holding onto any hope that they would be redoing sprites/animations in this game, yeah you're gonna be disappointed. The new stuff is pretty good, but about the only thing I've noticed from older animations that's been changed/touched up is FMP Submarine getting new cut-ins for space. That's it. Everything else is identical as far as I can tell. So use the new attacks and new units if you want new nice looking stuff :p

Damn. Seeing Nu Gundam has awesome new animation made me hope that they will retouch/change some of the old cast's ones.

How soon do we get into Diebuster story?

Boo. I don't like hunched Quanta. :(

Bebpo

Banned
Actually there are new, slightly different animations for arbalest when lamda driver fins are on. So there's a couple of things that got touched up.

Diebuster and Gargantia start
early

And yeah, I don't like Quant and don't understand why it looks so mediocre when Harute has amazing Zeta-like animation (short, but dynamic and fluid). I wish everything looked like Zeta, CCA, Harute.

Bebpo

Banned
Gun Leon animation so sexy.

Yup, I like pain shouter much better here though I wish the start of the cut-in would sync better. Like half the cut-ins don't sync with the lines in z3, makes me miss z2 Zero cockpit talking after the hydro cannon. I feel like z2 did talking cut-in sync and dynamic kills really well and both are a step back in z3.

Gargantia's animations are hilarious.

You have the halberd attack which is easily his best animated attack - there's a real sense of weight behind the swing and plenty of frames.

And then you have... everything else.

Sinople

(Slowly raises hand...)
If Mr. Nice_Guy (thanks for the link btw) receives his code and no one else asks for yours I'd gladly take it.

muteki

Did it just for fun and it's surprisingly accurate.

I tried that before too and while the translations are still lacking, the character recognition is good.

I feel bad because I should know most of this by now but it is a neat tech they added to the iOS version just recently.

Also, wasted too much time last night messing with custom soundtracks.

Top Bottom