• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The '4-point line' in NBA practices is picking up momentum

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
No, the NBA isn't adding another scoring option to the game of basketball.

However, teams are now coaching their players on the '4-point line', an imaginary step back from the 3-point line on basketball courts.

i

The rationale has to do with the increasing emphasis on offense and quick turnover.

With the rise of analytics over the past decade, teams have scrutinized their shot location and encouraged players to take 3-pointers and layups while de-emphasizing contested midrange jump shots.

Competency at the imaginary '4-point line' extends a Point or Guard's shooting range by 5 feet/ 152cm, which offers a pretty huge advantage if the other team's defense is not equipped to handle it. Additionally, drawing out defenders to the 4-point line opens up space closer to the hoop for layups.

Although it's not an official change to the rulebook, I think this is an interesting development in basketball. We'll see if teams adjust accordingly.

Source at ESPN

Last edited:

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Oof. Shall we cue the obligatory social media 4-point line challenges?

In all seriousness, this would be fun to see. Especially if people start wigging out on making "4-pointers" multiple times in a game.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Lets do this and also remove punt returns from NFL. For every magical, statistically rare return theres a hundred where no yardage is gained and niggas just get brain damage.

lil puff

No thanks. I like (and miss) the guys who understand a mid range jumper.

Quite often, I see guys ramming down the lane for a foul, if they couldn't get open for the 3. Dude. Straighten up and take that short jumper! Stop and pop.

cryptoadam

Banned
I have to say pass on this. I am not the biggest B-Ball fan these days was more into it during the NBA's peak in the 90's with Jordan et al but I can't agree to adding a 4 point line.

I don't want to be an old man yelling at clouds here but it just seems to add an additional complication to the game that isn't needed.

Why not add in half court shots are worth 5 points then?

Lets stick to 2 points and 3 points.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
No thanks. I like (and miss) the guys who understand a mid range jumper.

Quite often, I see guys ramming down the lane for a foul, if they couldn't get open for the 3. Dude. Straighten up and take that short jumper! Stop and pop.
Well, the problem as I see it is that teams are cramming taller/larger players with quicker feet and more reach on the posts and center, so you kind of have to go fishing for fouls or you'll get stuffed. If so-called "4-pointers" become more common, it would draw out defenders and actually open up more court space for the sort of mid-range game you're describing.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I have to say pass on this. I am not the biggest B-Ball fan these days was more into it during the NBA's peak in the 90's with Jordan et al but I can't agree to adding a 4 point line.

I don't want to be an old man yelling at clouds here but it just seems to add an additional complication to the game that isn't needed.

Why not add in half court shots are worth 5 points then?

Lets stick to 2 points and 3 points.

Not what the thread is about. :lollipop_hushed:

Okay, no worries, let's break it down a little.

The 3 pointer is a scoring incentive to offset a more difficult, lower percentage shot that wouldn't be taken for 2 points at that range, yeah? It extends the viable offensive playing field on a possession and gives scoring options to technical, less physical, shorter players (big part of why it was implemented afaik). The 3 point line was later set to a shorter distance in HS/NCAA leagues than the NBA because it'd be too high value for the NBA's technical level. Bear that in mind.

This is a change in team strategy based on statistical analysis, showing uncontested 3 pointers taken an additional five feet out from the 3 point line are still superior scoring opportunities to contested mid-range 2 point jump shots at modern levels of play. The last thing you want to be doing as the NBA Game Balance Lead here is further incentivizing these long 3 pointers with an additional point. They're already valuable enough to take for 3 points (the "4 point line" here is imaginary and just for reference in training) and there's discussion of how the mid-range 2 pointer offense has fallen out of favor, leaving 3s and drives in.

This suggests that the NBA should move the 3 point line farther back and maybe institute some rules changes on driving into the paint or w/e to bring mid-range 2-pointer offense back into viability and account for how valuable 3 pointers have become.

lil puff

Well, the problem as I see it is that teams are cramming taller/larger players with quicker feet and more reach on the posts and center, so you kind of have to go fishing for fouls or you'll get stuffed. If so-called "4-pointers" become more common, it would draw out defenders and actually open up more court space for the sort of mid-range game you're describing.
That's a good point. Spreads the floor out.

Someone will have to stay around for rebounds though.

Even if they instate this, I think once teams see low %s they will not take those shots.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This suggests that the NBA should move the 3 point line farther back and maybe institute some rules changes on driving into the paint or w/e to bring mid-range 2-pointer offense back into viability and account for how valuable 3 pointers have become.
Thanks for offering additional insight on the topic, Evilore.

Extending the 3-point line would have some interesting consequences depending on how you do it. The corners are already squared off on an NBA court and extending the 3-point line would either eliminate these corners or make them more valuable if the NBA continued to square it off. I could see that being an interesting incentive for more corner play.

That's a good point. Spreads the floor out.

Someone will have to stay around for rebounds though.

Even if they instate this, I think once teams see low %s they will not take those shots.
Opening up that area -- even if the boundaries remain the same and the defenders are being drawn out -- creates more opportunities for 1v1 and 1v2, which is a crowd pleaser. I think foul-fishing has caused the sport to stagnate to a certain degree. It's heading in the direction of soccer/football where players act like sissies and clutch their kneecaps after tripping on a clod of turf within 20ft of another player.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Thanks for offering additional insight on the topic, Evilore.

Extending the 3-point line would have some interesting consequences depending on how you do it. The corners are already squared off on an NBA court and extending the 3-point line would either eliminate these corners or make them more valuable if the NBA continued to square it off. I could see that being an interesting incentive for more corner play.

I say extend the line, and square off the corner but make it super tight to the out of bounds line. If you want that corner possition you'll have to be perfect on your feet and display some great skill (which they are all capable of) but it will add that nice extra wrinkle to keep the challenge up. Also it will make it easier for defenders to block the corners off. Love me some defensive ball.

pointspershot_11521.jpg

4a7a6821-44a9-4edc-8112-7c2e44b3306a.jpg

Literally move the line to within 14 inches of the bounds marker for the corners.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I say extend the line, and square off the corner but make it super tight to the out of bounds line. If you want that corner possition you'll have to be perfect on your feet and display some great skill (which they are all capable of) but it will add that nice extra wrinkle to keep the challenge up. Also it will make it easier for defenders to block the corners off. Love me some defensive ball.

pointspershot_11521.jpg
Right, it would be cool to see. The potential problem would be players going fishing for fouls down the side-lanes, too, since it would be a heavily-defended trap. I dunno. Anything to spread out the defenders would be progress in my book. Players have gotten too tall, too lanky, and too fast. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Right, it would be cool to see. The potential problem would be players going fishing for fouls down the side-lanes, too, since it would be a heavily-defended trap. I dunno. Anything to spread out the defenders would be progress in my book. Players have gotten too tall, too lanky, and too fast. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Yeah, honestly officiating is ruining both the NBA and NFL more than anything else for me. I really want to see some hardass traditionalist take over as league commissioners in both leagues, take things back to pre-2000's rules and enforcements.

petran79

Banned
I remember instances in FIBA rules where teams would score actual 5 pointers (3 pointer and 2 free throws from a defensive foul against another player during the 3 point shot). Am not sure if that rule still exists

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd love it. More pts and long bombs the better.

Don't care about dunks. But I love seeing people air out three's. And 4 pt shots will be awesome.

Top Bottom