• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 40 Year Old Virgin watch- Rotten Tomatoes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The billboard with his face promoting this film always makes me laugh. He has that look on his face that I'd picture an actual 40 year old virgin having.

The only thing that sucked about this movie was they were using N64 controllers to play Mortal Kombat Deception in one scene.

It was incredible. I can't remember the last comedy I saw that was so consistently funny. Blows Wedding Crashers out of the water.

Yeah that was strange, considering earlier I saw the Xbox and the Duke controller under his TV. Also saw the good old original Playstation.

Chipopo

Banned
Best fucking comedy I've seen since Harold and Kumar, and hell, it might even be the better movie. A little long, yes, but incredibly consistent. I was sure Carell was capable of carrying a movie on his own, and I was right, but I was surprised with how good the dialogue was between the three coworkers. They definitly steal some of the spotlight. This movie has WAY more hits then misses, so much so that I was surprised it came from the Anchorman team. They learned alot in a short time. The
breakout-in-to-song ending
though? Just as wack as the first time they tried it.

Tamanon

Banned
:lol :lol at the scene in the bar

Dude, are you flicking me in the balls? No, I'm flicking you in the withered patch of flesh where your balls once were. Well stop it! OK *Punches him in the balls*

What a great fucking movie!

arter_2

This was hysterical one of the funniest movies i have seen in the last couple of year i mean it even give old school a run for it money. Dare i say it is even funnier than it.

Chipopo

Banned
arter_2 said:
This was hysterical one of the funniest movies i have seen in the last couple of year i mean it even give old school a run for it money. Dare i say it is even funnier than it.

To be honest: this movie kills Old School

Smidget

Would I like this movie if I don't find Old School, Something about Mary, American Pie, and Anchorman in the least bit funny but I absolutely love the humor of The Office (US and UK)?

maynerd

Banned
Smidget said:
Would I like this movie if I don't find Old School, Something about Mary, American Pie, and Anchorman in the least bit funny but I absolutely love the humor of The Office (US and UK)?

It's nothing like the office (few things are as funny). You may have trouble finding this movie funny as well. The movies you listed are pretty funny so it's hard to say.

Smidget said:
Don't even bother. How is that possible?

Smidget

I just guess I have a different taste in humor, some of my favorite comedies are This is Spinal Tap, Being John Malkovitch, Fargo, Big Lebowski, Rushmore, and I love The Daily Show.

I figured as much from the previews but I thought I'd try to ask because I adore The Office and The Daily Show and he's in it.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
I have a friend with the exact same tastes as you and he loved it. It's just a flat out hilarious movie.

maharg

idspispopd
I dunno, I think you stand a pretty good chance of liking it. It's always hard to tell with comedies, but it's not nearly as filled with American Pie-style humor as you'd think from the ads. It has a fair amount of dryer humor.

LM4sure

Banned
Now I enjoyed the movie, but what is with the recent comedies that aren't funny? Wedding Crashers and this movie come to mind. I liked both. They just weren't very funny.

arter_2

I just saw it again to night and it was still just as funny, but thier was one major difference. The crowd wasn't as into it as the first time and i believe alot is missed out depending on how good or how bad the crowd is. Still it was funny enough to make my mom even cry still a hysterical movie. Ireally loved the charecter all of his friend where really fleshed out and it really helped the movie

Fifty

For sure. If I rented this I wouldn't have had half as much fun that I did on opening night when we were at a sold-out show.

Belfast

Awesome, awesome movie. The character interaction is great. It feels natural, like any group of friends/co-workers. Wow.

quest

Not Banned from OT
What an awesome movie it seemed like there was a good laugh every minute or 2. I have not laughed at so many jokes in 1 movie. What a great summer for R-rated comedies first wedding crashers now 40 year old virgin. I hope this movie makes a lot of money because between this and wedding crashers I am hoping for the return of the R-rated comedy. God damn was 40 year old virgin funny.

lachesis

Just got back from the movie... and haven't had this kinda feeling after watching a comedy movie since "Something about Mary". Good, laughing crowd that I had, and the movie was quite funny - if not too vulgar in many cases. (Some very disturbingly funny scenes - especially during the "fuck buddy" and the song she sings.. ;))

I haven't seen the Anchorman nor Wedding Crashers - but I am on a roll now.
(Disregarding I've watched several serious/depressing movies like Garden State / Eternal Sunshine / Lost in Translation in a row - I had to vent out a bit. :)

lachesis

TheDuce22

Banned
Just got back from the movie and im begining to feel like my sense of humor is broken. Either that or comedys are just in a slump and people latch on to anything slighly above average. Ace Ventura, Something About Mary, Dirty Work, Dumb and Dumber, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Orgazmo, Me Myself and Irene, they had me falling out of my chair for 2 hours (old school was up there but it could have used more Ferrel). The recent stuff like Wedding Crashers and 40 year old virgin, sure they are somewhat funny from time to time but I never even laughed out loud and too many parts seemed to drag on.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I went in not knowing what to expect at all, and I came out ranking this movie among the best sex comedies that have ever been made, despite the obligatory gross-out scene or two.

(Just so you have some kind of barometer, none of the American Pie movies are on that list o' mine.)

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
just saw it. awesome shit... my buddy hit it on the head though. I didn't think it was as funny as Wedding Crashers, and he said how he didn't think it was as funny, but overall, as a movie, it was far better, as wedding crashers was just essentially another cliche-ending/storyline. You didn't know what was happening in Virgin from moment to moment. Good shit.

And I DEFINITELY agree on the character interaction stuff... those backup characters were very integral to the story, and without them having the chemistry they did, a lot of the jokes would have fallen flat.

Where's the Paul Rudd love? The guy may not be starring anytime soon, but he should definitely start to get the recognition that Vince Vaughn was having a couple years ago-- solid supporting actor.

EDIT: and I also didn't dig on the bollywood stuff as much as a lot of other people. I saw the Guru a few years back, while most people didn't, and that really let the comedy of Bollywood get going (though the movie overall was subpar.) It's sad cuz everytime I see a 'bollywood joke song' in a movie, I automatically think back to that Indian dude and Heather Graham reenacting Grease in a Bollywood manner.

Great movie. I'd say more consistently funny than WC, which I also enjoyed highly, so it's not really a knock on that movie either. I'll pick up both when they hit DVD, depending on how much my bar tab is by then.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Just came back from watching the movie.

AWESOME.

But...

WTF @ the ending dance number credits thing? :lol

And I have to say the funniest moment of the movie was the last scene.
"Now you're officially not a virgin!"
*scene fade out*
*1 minute later*
*Fade in to Andy with a "wow" look on his face and Trish with a seriously disappointed look. :lol*

I must say, Jay was a GREAT support character. :lol

xsarien

daedsiluap
GaimeGuy said:
Just came back from watching the movie.

AWESOME.

But...

WTF @ the ending dance number credits thing? :lol

I must say, Jay was a GREAT support character. :lol

The song is one of the more well known tracks from Hair, a musical that became a movie. (Not to be confused with Hairspray, the John Waters movie.) Without getting into too much detail - mostly because I haven't seen either version, but also because it's just a stupid thing to read too much into - you can assume it's just that the whole peace/free love and the associated euphoria is being equated to Andy's first time. It's a shallow reference, especially since Hair touches on more complex issues; you're not missing too much, Carell and Apatow are just goofing around.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Very funny movie. I loved it. But I think Wedding Crashers is funnier, though.

And Paul Rudd is fantastic. Always liked the guy, and I'm glad he's getting some more recognition after Friends. I can remember him all the way back to his first big starring role in Clueless.

AlphaSnake

Foreign Jackass said:
Saw both. One has good acting and good writing. The other one has good acting. Wedding Crashers is inferior.

That's nice. But WC's writing is arguably better. Vince Vaughn's punchlines alone could carry the movie. After all, most of WC's comedy elements came from Vaughn's ecentric acting.

AlphaSnake said:
That's nice. But WC's writing is arguably better. Vince Vaughn's punchlines alone could carry the movie. After all, most of WC's comedy elements came from Vaughn's ecentric acting.
There was about no writing in WC. It's 90% improv, and it shows. In fact, ask anyone who has a sense of writing, and they'll know WC is improv. It isn't even that funny, especially after the first act.

AlphaSnake

Foreign Jackass said:
There was about no writing in WC. It's 90% improv, and it shows. In fact, ask anyone who has a sense of writing, and they'll know WC is improv. It isn't even that funny, especially after the first act.

-_-

AlphaSnake said:
It is improv, they keep saying it in interviews. It sounds like improv, and they even do double-takes on their lines. But it's great acting, and it makes it funny. I just wish the writing was better, and the situations weren't like, 100% from other movies.

Well, since I was a person that was skeptical of the movie judging by the trailer, I figured I'd post in here after seeing the movie. I saw it with a bunch of friends tonight, and we all couldn't stop laughing. Carell and the whole supporting cast was awesome, and some of the lines are freaking priceless. This movie was all about the writing. I will admit this movie had much better writing than Wedding Crashers; as far as which movie is better, it's hard to me to pick one. Vince Vaughn's delivery in WC was amazing. But at this time, I really think I'm leaning towards the 40-Year-Old Virgin. I just can't believe how nasty and hilarious it was. The person who made the trailer for this movie should be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom