• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 50 most important PC games of all time (PC Gamer)

The Spelunky one is weird

there have been literally hundreds of other and arguably better roguelikes before it, I never understood the appeal of Spelunky and I can't imagine it had a major impact on the video game industry but I could be wrong. Can anybody explain, please?

Off the top of my head, popular roguelike influenced games, mainly action based ones, that came directly in the wake of Spelunky:

Binding of Isaac
Nuclear Throne
Rogue Legacy
Risk of Rain
FTL
Invisible Inc

Not all of them were directly influenced by Spelunky of course, but I can't think of anything else that drove this wave of interest in randomized permadeath games. They've played a similar role as Minecraft in the rising popularity of game streaming and Youtube, with people liking to share unique experiences within a familiar framework.

mcz117chief

Answer: it's seriously one of the best designed videogames ever made, and has exerted a huge influence on its genre in particular and game developers in general over the past half decade.

To me it is just an average game where you run around breaking blocks and collecting stuff. It doesn't strike me as anything more than that. I played it on a ps4 since it was part of PS+ and I didn't find a single fun or unique thing about it. Guess it is not my kind of game. I definitely enjoyed Binding of Issac more (like the poster above mentioned that is one of the games that it spawned), but that game feels like it was inspired by games like Zelda not Spelunky.

It's actually a good list. I'm shocked.

This is actually probably a good point. How many people started gaming because of these two games?

Zero ? They were pastimes for the office back then, nobody ever started played RPGs or simulations because of them.

Broken Age included to stir controversy, and I like Tim Schafer.

Otherwise that's a pretty astute list.

There's no controversy there. If I'm not mistaken, before Double Fine Adventure went up on Kickstarter, all kickstarters that were for video games (not video game websites, magazines, or movies) made less than $100k with the vast majority making less than $10k (Code Hero made $170k but it ended after DFA started). Double Fine Adventure then proceeded to make $3.3 million. It was a complete shift in how video game crowdfunding worked. It was night & day from about a year earlier when we did our first Kickstarter and few people even knew that Kickstarter existed.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think Telltale ought to have one place there, but I'm not sure exactly which one to pick. But their episodic model have influenced many other games, and revitalized the adventure genre, even if it became more like old FMV adventures in terms of gameplay.

Well, the difference is that it isn't actuallya roguelike, but a game that mixed influences from roguelikes in a new genre, in a game that was noticed and impacted many others.

If you were gonna pick a Telltale game, it would be The Walking Dead for sure. That game was huge.

mcz117chief

Maybe Runescape instead of Ultima Online? Since there were a few big online games before like Meridian 59, while on the other hand Runescape was the first big thing when it came to online games. Back in the days all high school kids played Runescape all the time, it was the first time a free to play mmo became super huge. I think Runescape did more for the mmo genre than Ultima Online.

Wheere is free space 2

It is a legendary 10/10 game but it honestly didn't move the industry anywhere. It just perfected Wing Commander/X-wing.

I'd like to think Descent deserved a spot but that might be a skewed perspective from what I've experienced. The 6 directions of freedom of movement aspect was really interesting and new to me at the time. Also the series ultimately led to the Freespace titles.

Imo, I wish more games copied Crysis, but no one really did more than borrow a few things. The games had not much of an impact other than the cultural impact of being the last PC exclusive that looked a gen ahead of consoles when it came out, that was something already going on before the game came out, so it is more of a symptom than anything.

Decent list, but Dark Forces/Jedi Knight is missing

giphy.gif

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
How can you have dota and world of warcraft but not warcraft 3? Warcraft 3 is easily the most influencial game of the 2000s. League of legends, world of warcraft, dota, and even elements of starcraft 2 only existed because warcraft 3 existed.

How can you have dota and world of warcraft but not warcraft 3? Warcraft 3 is easily the most influencial game of the 2000s. League of legends, world of warcraft, dota, and even elements of starcraft 2 only existed because warcraft 3 existed.

dota takes its place

warcraft 3, the RTS game, was not important

i think if both warcraft 3 & dota were important, it would be there like half life & counterstrike are both there

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Did tomb raider release on oc the same day as on saturn/ps1? Or was it a late port?
Same day. All versions released November 14 1996 in the US, though the Saturn version hit a couple weeks early in the UK.

Also having been recently playing this game, I really agree on the quiet exploration. I still LOVE something like Tomb Raider 2 where it can get pretty busy with human enemies, but the isolation in TR1 is just godly when it just about Lara vs Environment sans a couple human enemies as you explore the levels to uncover their lost secrets.

Totally agree. I've been playing this game for the first time, and it feels super awful to play a third person game in 3D without any kind of analog control at this point, but the game holds up.

Actually hearing that there are more human enemies in Tomb Raider 2 makes me want to play it less.

akira28

those lists are pretty 90s heavy. I get that this was the age of games journalism(particularly for PC Gamer), but there were some really good games between SpaceWar and Quake that the PC Gamer camp never seemed to be aware of but the Computer and Gaming World folks were always on top of.

damned shame the lesser publication won.

Jeff Green knows about those guys.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Solid list

I wish I lived in a world where the X-Wing series had greater influence :'(

I know it made honorable mention but Dark Souls really should be in the top 50 for opening the floodgates of Japanese console games to PC. Has completely changed the dynamic of the platform in the past few years.

"Jane's Combat Simulations games were earlier, if you would count that."

The Jane's games (and the Microprose sims which were even earlier) were combat aircraft sims, I'm assuming that poster meant more along the lines of infantry simulation which Delta Force is certainly the earliest I can recall.

Falk

that puzzling face
Hey all,

This was my baby for the past seven months or so. It's been a long time coming. If you're at all interested in the history of PC gaming I hope you read the actual article, because I think who we got to write entries about these games, and what they had to say, is the real treat. Anyone can make a list of 50 games. But I really wanted us to have something to say about them, and for some real heavyweights to have their voices included.

Getting Paul Neurath (Ultima Underworld, System Shock), Chris Avellone (Planescape Torment, KOTOR 2), Sid Meier (Sid Meier's), Jane Jensen (King's Quest V, Gabriel Knight), Jeff Green (CGW, once our main competitor!) and some other amazing people from the games industry to write about why these games matter was, well, pretty cool.

The list is great, and it's just the nature of the beast that you can't include everything in a finite list in something with as rich a history and diversity as video games, even if only a section of it.

Thanks for putting it together, and thanks for acknowledging Counter-Strike and DotA as 'games' even if they're mods. It's the experience and not the development model or monetization that matters and Lord knows those games were enjoyed by millions before becoming retail games.

post-S

dota takes its place

warcraft 3, the RTS game, was not important

i think if both warcraft 3 & dota were important, it would be there like half life & counterstrike are both there

A game that happens to be the most popular RTS in history, whose diverse mod scene gives birth to two of the most popular genre today (MOBA and TD), is not important? Fine.

Azar

those lists are pretty 90s heavy. I get that this was the age of games journalism(particularly for PC Gamer), but there were some really good games between SpaceWar and Quake that the PC Gamer camp never seemed to be aware of but the Computer and Gaming World folks were always on top of.

damned shame the lesser publication won.

Jeff Green knows about those guys.

I don't think you can draw much correlation between the games each magazine covered in the 90s and what we cover today or in this list. Completely different staff, PCG US and UK were wholly separate entities at the time, and it makes sense that historically CGW would've covered older games: the magazine started almost 10 years earlier!

When I started doing research for this list, I did actually look back at two or three different CGW lists of the best games of all time. There were a lot of great games on them! But there have also been a ton of important and influential PC games in the late 90s and 2000s that we're really seeing the effects of today.

I've got no dog in a PCG vs. CGW of old fight, though. Jeff Green was the first person I thought of that I wanted to get to contribute writing to this list.

The list is great, and it's just the nature of the beast that you can't include everything in a finite list in something with as rich a history and diversity as video games, even if only a section of it.

Thanks for putting it together, and thanks for acknowledging Counter-Strike and DotA as 'games' even if they're mods. It's the experience and not the development model or monetization that matters and Lord knows those games were enjoyed by millions before becoming retail games.
<3

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
I don't think you can draw much correlation between the games each magazine covered in the 90s and what we cover today or in this list. Completely different staff, PCG US and UK were wholly separate entities at the time, and it makes sense that historically CGW would've covered older games: the magazine started almost 10 years earlier!

When I started doing research for this list, I did actually look back at two or three different CGW lists of the best games of all time. There were a lot of great games on them! But there have also been a ton of important and influential PC games in the late 90s and 2000s that we're really seeing the effects of today.

I've got no dog in a PCG vs. CGW of old fight, though. Jeff Green was the first person I thought of that I wanted to get to contribute writing to this list.

<3

I've got no dog in that fight either. CGW shut down 8 years ago. And I'm friends with the PCG guys, past and present. :)

Wanderer5

Same day. All versions released November 14 1996 in the US, though the Saturn version hit a couple weeks early in the UK.

Totally agree. I've been playing this game for the first time, and it feels super awful to play a third person game in 3D without any kind of analog control at this point, but the game holds up.

Actually hearing that there are more human enemies in Tomb Raider 2 makes me want to play it less.

Nah I still recommend TR2 heh. There some annoyance, but the amount of human enemies is not that bad overall. There still a very nice focus of exploration, puzzles and such. Alot of the levels are still pretty sweet, especially Tibet and China levels. TR2 has one hell of a second half.

Given the criteria which they judged Broken Age. I'm suprised we didn't get Star Citizen as a honorable mention considering it has gone on to be the most successfully "crowdfunded" games in history. Currently sitting at $106,044,294 raised.

Whether Star Citizen succeeds or fails it will have a massive impact on future crowdfunding which is now a big part of game development, especially for PC gaming.

I'm going off the fact that it doesn't technically state it had to be a completed game or even playable. Or did I miss that?

jotun?

A game that happens to be the most popular RTS in history, whose diverse mod scene gives birth to two of the most popular genre today (MOBA and TD), is not important? Fine.
Tower defense and moba maps existed in Starcraft first (dota was based on aeon of strife)

Dennis

Banned
wow just realized STALKER is missing.......

That game is like the most PC game that was ever made on a PC for PC fans.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Can't really argue with their choices, once I actually read the justifications.

That said, I feel like you just had to fit the original System Shock into the 1994 list. It was utterly mindblowing, in that year.

SS1 has suffered such a sad fate; forgotten in time due to birthing such an amazing sequel. Does the progenitor not deserve its due recognition, as well?

Maybe the remake will cause eyes to once again gaze upon this masterpiece. I know mine never stopped.

Hari Seldon

Rob Zachnys blurb on Oregon Trail is fantastic lolol. Great article! I would have some changes but this is a great read nonetheless.

Not really a PC gamer but I came in here expecting to see The Oregon Trail on the list and I'm happy.

Whenever I get my situation together and I decide to build a gaming laptop that Will be the first game I buy.

Other than the odd omission of Cave Story (grandfather of the indie boom), list is extremely solid. I expect Dark Souls to move out of the honorable mentions sometime in the next few years.

Orayn

How is dark souls on the honorable mentions list LOL

It's a port, and not to mention a dog shit one at that

It represents a case where a developer went from not knowing there was a PC audience to PC becoming their single highest selling platform.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Seeing that list reminds me how insane 1997 - 1998 was, on both console and PC. Best game years bar none.

Top Bottom