• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 50 most important PC games of all time (PC Gamer)

spekkeh

Banned
Missing X-Wing or Tie Fighter.
Day of the Tentacle too.
Maybe Flight Simulator.

Daggerfall > Morrowind
Warcraft 2 > StarCraft

I'm gonna say Monkey Island 2 > Monkey Island

Three Ultimas seems excessive when they only give a nod to King's Quest from Sierra and not Larry or Police Quest.

I'm good with the rest.

jblank83

An actual good list for once.

Some places for contention here and there (Dungeon Master deserves mention, Broken Age absolutely does not deserve a place), but it hits most of the "can't miss" titles.

The 7th Guest ?
Alone in the Dark ?
Little Big Adventure ?
Phantasmagoria ?

Kinda sad to see that those titles are among their influences.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Missing X-Wing or Tie Fighter.
Day of the Tentacle too.
Maybe Flight Simulator.

Daggerfall > Morrowind
Warcraft 2 > StarCraft

I'm gonna say Monkey Island 2 > Monkey Island

Three Ultimas seems excessive when they only give a nod to King's Quest from Sierra and not Larry or Police Quest.

I'm good with the rest.

No one cares whether you like them more or not. This isnt about merit or popularity, its about influence.

Tenrius

Hey all,

This was my baby for the past seven months or so. It's been a long time coming. If you're at all interested in the history of PC gaming I hope you read the actual article, because I think who we got to write entries about these games, and what they had to say, is the real treat. Anyone can make a list of 50 games. But I really wanted us to have something to say about them, and for some real heavyweights to have their voices included.

Getting Paul Neurath (Ultima Underworld, System Shock), Chris Avellone (Planescape Torment, KOTOR 2), Sid Meier (Sid Meier's), Jane Jensen (King's Quest V, Gabriel Knight), Jeff Green (CGW, once our main competitor!) and some other amazing people from the games industry to write about why these games matter was, well, pretty cool.

I really liked the Tim Schafer bit on Zork!

skyrim's inclusion is questionable, even on the honourable mentions list. it's important because it immediatly made it onto pcgamer's best 100 games of all time or whatever lists. hehehe.

wish they'd included some racing games/sims. a geoff crammond (grand prix or gp2), or a papyrus (indy500, gp legends), or gtr2 or rfactor. or maybe even iracing, maybe.

4Tran

Good list. It's a great way to look at the history of PC gaming and it's definitely interesting to see how the game design has shifted and reiterated over the years.

Why isn't Star Control 2 on the list?
It's a fantastic game, but sadly it hasn't spawned high quality successors the way the games on the list did.

inm8num2

Hey all,

This was my baby for the past seven months or so. It's been a long time coming. If you're at all interested in the history of PC gaming I hope you read the actual article, because I think who we got to write entries about these games, and what they had to say, is the real treat. Anyone can make a list of 50 games. But I really wanted us to have something to say about them, and for some real heavyweights to have their voices included.

Getting Paul Neurath (Ultima Underworld, System Shock), Chris Avellone (Planescape Torment, KOTOR 2), Sid Meier (Sid Meier's), Jane Jensen (King's Quest V, Gabriel Knight), Jeff Green (CGW, once our main competitor!) and some other amazing people from the games industry to write about why these games matter was, well, pretty cool.

Thanks for posting here - it was a fun article and I enjoyed reading what everyone had to say about these games and their places in PC gaming history.

I'm also shocked this part was not written by Richard Cobbett. :p
What a total piece of shit Myst was.

I do disagree with Jeff here:
Because as much as gamers—weaned on real adventure games like Day of the Tentacle, Gabriel Knight, and Quest for Glory—recognized it for the fraud it was

Myst was different but it was still an adventure/puzzle game. Aside from its multimedia-related appeal, many people enjoyed its blend of challenge and exploration.

spekkeh

Banned
No one cares whether you like them more or not. This isnt about merit, its about influence.

That's the way I was commenting. Morrowind and StarCraft are clearly iterative from their trailblazing prequels. Leaving out flight and space shooter sims seems weird.

I'd say Spelunky and Broken Age are questionable. Though I'd agree Broken Age's importance is largely related to how it got made as opposed to what it ended up being.

I think Command & Conquer and Warcraft could probably find a place on this list. Max Payne pretty much set the standard for third-person shooters. Maybe a MechWarrior game could fit in there somewhere. And definitely Crysis. There was always that cycle where new consoles would come out and they were the new hotness with all the amazing graphical whizbangs. But Crysis was the inflection point. After Crysis, the PC was solidified as the place where high end graphics reigned.

Does Medal of Honor: Allied Assault belong on this list?

It started the wave of FPS, but I think Saving Private Ryan was more the cause of that. MoH AA was a good game with terrific sound design, but it doesn't strike me as anywhere near as important as all these other games.

Still, it's a very solid list that you can tell is made by people who have played games a lot longer than the current editors of IGN and Gamespot and their "best games of all time" which seems to think that gaming started in 2001, with a few omissions in the 90s.

AaronMT86

Missing: The Incredible Machine (1992), for it's early physics and innovative style and simulation abilities which was probably the first of it's kind.

mkenyon

Banned
No Tribes?

The first online-only team based FPS. With Skiing and Jetpacks.

LIST IS GARBAGE

had to do list complaining cuz GAF. List looks good.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That's the way I was commenting. Morrowind and StarCraft are clearly iterative from their trailblazing prequels. Leaving out flight and space shooter sims seems weird.

Except the reason they give wouldnt apply to their parent games. Like Broodwar's asymmetrical design and esports influence or Morrowind's detailed 3D world and influence on console rpgs. Doing it first isnt the only kind of trailblazing.

The only thing I could think that is missing is something that stands as a comment of the proliferation of independent games in the early part of this decade. Spelunky kind of fits in that space, but is probably more on here for the roguelite lineage. I want to say something like Braid or World of Goo fits in there, but they seem a bit too slight for this list.

Cave Story would be the obvious choice for that.

Also, they should have listed Broken Age as "Double Fine Adventure" to emphasize that it was its Kickstarter that was important, not the released game (which was heavily delayed & met with a resounding thud).

espher

I think it's important to note that this is "most important" and not necessarily "best", which is why games that had better sequels are on there, and games that were individually great but didn't really break new ground or set up a paradigm shift didn't make the cut.

I love Star Control 2 and TIE Fighter as much as anyone (both games are on my all-time Top 5), but they wouldn't make my list of 50 most important either. :3

That being said, Q3A is a weird inclusion on this list (esp. over UT99 or UT2k4) for this reason. It didn't feel like it did much to make it "important" when compared to Q1 or Q2.

mcz117chief

The Spelunky one is weird

As well as being one of the first games to establish Roguelikes as a thing, its use of Game Maker proved that you can make fantastic, totally respectable products in dedicated game making tools. They’ve come a hell of a long way since Klik and Play.

there have been literally hundreds of other and arguably better roguelikes before it, I never understood the appeal of Spelunky and I can't imagine it had a major impact on the video game industry but I could be wrong. Can anybody explain, please?

Broken Age? What am I missing here?

Broken Age can be looked as as a landmark title for what it did to video game crowdfunding. This game broke $3,336,371 dollars in 2012, which was pretty extraordinary. It got the ball rolling for multi-million dollar crowd funded games.

I kind of feel like Cave Story needs to be on this list. It always felt like a pre-cursor to the current indie scene. Otherwise, this is a good list.

espher

there have been literally hundreds of other and arguably better roguelikes before it, I never understood the appeal of Spelunky and I can't imagine it had a major impact on the video game industry but I could be wrong. Can anybody explain, please?

I don't care for it, but it's probably a combination of a) 'breakout' title in the genre of roguelike-likes (I know some friends that hadn't played a roguelike before it and have gone on to play many roguelike-style games that came after it) and b) not being a garbage quality Game Maker game (establishing that good things can be done with 'limited' tools). I don't know how many more RPGMaker/Game Maker successes there have been since (0?) and it does strike me as a weird inclusion on a list that seems to be driven by impact on the industry. Maybe I'm just overlooking some of the stuff that was spawned by it.

I think Telltale ought to have one place there, but I'm not sure exactly which one to pick. But their episodic model have influenced many other games, and revitalized the adventure genre, even if it became more like old FMV adventures in terms of gameplay.

Well, the difference is that it isn't actuallya roguelike, but a game that mixed influences from roguelikes in a new genre, in a game that was noticed and impacted many others.

low-G

Broken Age included to stir controversy, and I like Tim Schafer.

Otherwise that's a pretty astute list.

Azar

I love the shit out of Cave Story, but I can't remember if we considered it for this feature or not. It did play a big role in the independent movement of the early 2000s. And what a hell of a game!

Missing: The Incredible Machine (1992), for it's early physics and innovative style and simulation abilities which was probably the first of it's kind.
Great shout.

Sports, sims, racing and wargaming are underrepresented and no doubt there are examples from those genres that are worthy of inclusion. If we'd formatted the list to highlight the most important games from each genre, they'd certainly be there. But trying to look at PC gaming as a whole, there were none that stood out to us as much as the games that made the final list.

Would love to see which games in those genres people consider as important as the games here. Maybe we'll revisit the list in a few years and they'll show up. :)

Answer: it's seriously one of the best designed videogames ever made, and has exerted a huge influence on its genre in particular and game developers in general over the past half decade.

More like Sports titles in general.
Still a pretty well put together list.

apart from old champ manager or sensi soccer, I can't come up with any important sports games on pc. maybe I'm blanking on something important. and those were kind of more amiga games anyway. today it's pretty much only football manager still popular and left of sports games. so maybe old champman should be on there.

but sim racing is a whole thing, with a lot of history, and they're still very popular and there's more choice and range than ever. papyrus and dave kaemmer, microprose and geoff crammond. test drive series, need for speed series. isi and rfactor/rfactor2. assetto corsa. project cars. iracing. reiza studios and other mod teams turned full developers.

I can see why they ditched the whole flight sim scene, as it just isn't as popular anymore, but they at least gave a nod to it with with mention of msfs. but racing games are really popular still, and there are quite a few of them with a really good active mod scene.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't care for it, but it's probably a combination of a) 'breakout' title in the genre of roguelike-likes (I know some friends that hadn't played a roguelike before it and have gone on to play many roguelike-style games that came after it) and b) not being a garbage quality Game Maker game (establishing that good things can be done with 'limited' tools). I don't know how many more RPGMaker/Game Maker successes there have been since (0?) and it does strike me as a weird inclusion on a list that seems to be driven by impact on the industry. Maybe I'm just overlooking some of the stuff that was spawned by it.

Hotline Miami and Super Crate Box were also made with Game Maker.
I think Spelunky led to a (re)surgence of procedurally generated games, and as such is pretty influential. Like before Spelunky as a games researcher I always thought research in procedural generation was a nice pipe dream that was not going to lead anywhere worthwhile. Now even though I'm still not a fan I can see they had a point, as it spawned a sizeable market.

Top Bottom