• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 50 most important PC games of all time (PC Gamer)

petran79

Banned
The 7th Guest ?
Alone in the Dark ?
Little Big Adventure ?
Phantasmagoria ?

Kinda sad to see that those titles are among their influences.

Very few 80s titles overall :(

Eg Trinity by Infocom had one of the most emotional moments, considering it was created in the mid-80s.

In Trinity, Brian Moriarty accomplishes what few IF authors are able to do:
combine an intriguing, original premise with outstanding writing and ingenious
puzzles. The game's writing will draw you into its fantastic world... so much so
that you can almost visualize the magical mushroom portals, feel the eerie
suspension of space-time, and be moved by the sight of a crippled Japanese girl.
The game's puzzles are tough, but they are never illogical, and they mesh within
the gameworld seamlessly. The game's anti-nuclear message is powerful, but never
overbearing, and many of its stronger literary metaphors (e.g. the umbrella, the
sundial, and the crane) will stay with you long after the game is over.

It ignores the European computer gaming scene, some of which was also prolific on the much more advanced Amiga systems previously.

Alone in the Dark defined modern 3D survival horror. Little Big Adventure was the first game to create an open isometric world to such a large scale where you could roam free.

wazoo

might be late...I thought I replied to this...

Spacewar!(1962) wasn't a dos game and it looks like we're not sticking mainly to the modern usage of the term "PC" meaning IBM based clone, but going with the old personal mini-computer definition. And if that's in, so are all of the personal computers of the early computer gaming age, and I don't see why the distinction would be drawn.

So all computer games should be considered.

So, Shadow of The Beast should be there. It was the foundation for all graphics-driven Digital-foundry-like conversations that still persist today.

GrayFoxBH

Quake 3 - most balanced fps multiplayer game ever made. Played this for like 10 years. There is no competitive multiplayer like this, specially 1 vs 1.

"Broken Age over Mass Effect or Dark Souls is ridiculous though"

Broken Age is a significantly more *important* (key word) game than Mass Effect.

Lime

Honestly I don't even see what Mass Effect has done for the PC or how influential it has been.

There are much more important Bioware RPGs that influenced PC games and the platform itself, whereas Mass Effect is simply just a shoddy port of a console RPG shooter.

gabbo

Happy to see 3 Ultima titles in there. Broken Age over Mass Effect or Dark Souls is ridiculous though

What influence on the pc game space has Dark Souls really had? Sure GAF loves to make memes about it, and it reviewed well, but I don't see droves of clones and knock offs or its mechanics becoming standard.

Corpekata

Banned
What influence on the pc game space has Dark Souls really had? Sure GAF loves to make memes about it, and it reviewed well, but I don't see droves of clones and knock offs or its mechanics becoming standard.

It was very likely instrumental in getting attention from a huge chunk of the industry that historically ignored the platform to start porting games to it.

And it very much so is getting its' multiplayer systems copied in a variety of ways.

That being said, I don't think it deserves a spot on the top 50, but does deserve the spot it has in HM.

gabbo

It was very likely instrumental in getting attention from a huge chunk of the industry that historically ignored the platform to start porting games to it.

And it very much so is getting its' multiplayer systems copied in a variety of ways.

That being said, I don't think it deserves a spot on the top 50, but does deserve the spot it has in HM.

So it's more of a candidate down the road then, since it's impact has yet to really land if we're talking Japanese titles on PC.

Somnid

It's showed that publishers can release hot garbage if it has hardcore popularity and the community will happily do the legwork to fix it.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if I can still find Oregon trail anywhere.....

Reading that made me want to play that game really bad...

Been a while since I've died of dysentery

"It's showed that publishers can release hot garbage if it has hardcore popularity and the community will happily do the legwork to fix it."

Bethesda has been showing that for over a decade.

patapuf

"It's showed that publishers can release hot garbage if it has hardcore popularity and the community will happily do the legwork to fix it."

Bethesda has been showing that for over a decade.

Yeah, and not only them. The PC community has a long history of fixing broken games /updating them to run on modern OS's.

Azar

might be late...I thought I replied to this...

Spacewar!(1962) wasn't a dos game and it looks like we're not sticking mainly to the modern usage of the term "PC" meaning IBM based clone, but going with the old personal mini-computer definition. And if that's in, so are all of the personal computers of the early computer gaming age, and I don't see why the distinction would be drawn.
The honest answer is there's just too much ground to cover, and beyond a few outliers the focus is more on the IBM PC. That wasn't an explicit decision, but covering the entire history of every unique system that could be considered a PC across multiple continents is an impossible task.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Honestly I don't even see what Mass Effect has done for the PC or how influential it has been.

There are much more important Bioware RPGs that influenced PC games and the platform itself, whereas Mass Effect is simply just a shoddy port of a console RPG shooter.

Like if we wanna post another influencial Bioware game and one that was the genesis for Mass Effect as well, youd be much better of putting down KotOR. Thats the game (with Morrowind) that brought the WRPG to consoles.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Seems to be mostly (almost exclusively, once you eliminate the earliest games) IBM-PC focused. Would have been interesting in seeing some stuff that helped drive the Spectrum, Amiga, etc and maybe some of the early Japanese PC games which were the starting points for many of the Japanese developers of today. Dragon Slayer is certainly one of the most influential games ever, for instance...

Seems to be mostly (almost exclusively, once you eliminate the earliest games) IBM-PC focused. Would have been interesting in seeing some stuff that helped drive the Spectrum, Amiga, etc and maybe some of the early Japanese PC games which were the starting points for many of the Japanese developers of today.

That's true, it would be nice to see microcomputers as well. But this is PC Gamer, and they have only ever covered IBM-PC/ WinTel, DOS and Windows gaming. I don't think they have ever covered anything outside of that.

00ich

It basically comes down to Q3 vs UT for this kind of list. Q3 won the war, sorry Tekno

Better game is a question of preferences, but the importance of Unreal (Tournament) reaches until today. It was the game that marked the transition to Epic as leading (?) engine developer. Without being a developer a lot of choices they did continued influencing other games. From MOD music in Deus Ex to the controls of Bioshock and the shadows of Splinter Cell.

Other than Diablo 2 missing its a pretty good list, but that game is the greatest and created (popularized) a whole genre. I see Diablo, but D2 is better. I guess "influence" diablo = diablo 2 so its fine.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Warcraft 3 should be on the fucking list. Without tools we wouldn't have had league of legends or dota. The captain system in both it and starcraft led to so much other shit in gaming I can't believe games it inspired heavily made the list but not the one to really get things started with such mechanics.

That's true, it would be nice to see microcomputers as well. But this is PC Gamer, and they have only ever covered IBM-PC/ WinTel, DOS and Windows gaming. I don't think they have ever covered anything outside of that.

Nah, they did. Back in the C64/Amiga/Atari ST days PC gaming magazines covered games from those systems as well but as the IBM PC became more and more ubiquitous, PC gaming and DOS (later Windows) pretty much became synonymous with each other.

I'd venture to guess though that the current staff of PC Gamer is probably too young to remember gaming on C64 and Amiga systems.

That's a good list.

One game I would add:

Strike Commander (1993) - This should be added for technical achievement in graphics. The game had texture mapping, 3D gameplay two years before the 32 bit era started. Here's a gameplay video. The guy who made this game is Chris Roberts who went on to do Wing Commander, Starlancer and Freelancer and is currently heading up Star Citizen. He's always kinda been known for pushing PC's to the max.

Also, I believe that Far Cry should take the place of Crysis. I think Crysis perfected what Far Cry pioneered. You can definitely see the lineage from Far Cry in Crysis though.

kswiston

Some of these come off as doing it first over doing it in a way that popularized the genre. I don't know a ton of people who played Dune 2. Especially compared to command and Conquer or Warcraft.

Nocturno999

No Alpha Centauri or Star Control 2 makes me sad. Great list overall.

Nice to see Ultima Online. I'm playing a trial after 10+ years hiatus. The magic is still there.

DMTripper

No Arma which is surprising as it's a quintessential PC game that would never see the light of day on consoles.

The game is a big success and spawned titles such as DayZ and big mods such as battle royale and altis life.

Aselith

Some of these come off as doing it first over doing it in a way that popularized the genre. I don't know a ton of people who played Dune 2. Especially compared to command and Conquer or Warcraft.

It's not popular, it's important. Dune 2 was hugely important because it led directly to the games that popularized the genre.

Dune 2 was an important crossroads for RTS games.

Happy to see 3 Ultima titles in there. Broken Age over Mass Effect or Dark Souls is ridiculous though

I mean, I love Dark Souls. But Broken Age was basically what sparked the gaming kickstarter revolution and proved the viability of crowdfunding games. It's pretty damn important for today's pc gaming landscape

Wulfram

Like if we wanna post another influencial Bioware game and one that was the genesis for Mass Effect as well, youd be much better of putting down KotOR. Thats the game (with Morrowind) that brought the WRPG to consoles.

I think Mass Effect perhaps fits better because its further from the classic style of RPGs. Its the one with full voice over, paraphrases and dialogue wheel and action-RPG combat, while KotOR is still a voiceless protagonist and pseudo-turn based Pen and Paper based combat.

golem

I played so much Dune II back in the day

And like the article says it pretty much defined the RTS genre, from resource gathering to differing types of armies/units between races, tech trees, etc

Top Bottom