• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 8 Worst Meals (And 1 Dessert) In America For 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how the media is treating this list like it's a bad thing, and that the places that serve these dishes are somehow expected to defend themselves. I don't go to a restaurant to score health food; it's entirely the point of my visit to be gluttonous.

Korey said:
What is this Five Guys place? Looks like some In-N-Out knockoff?

Some people do call it the In-N-Out of the east coast.

I will say, the only place I have eaten on that list is Five Guys, and like some have said it's totally worth it. Their burgers are wonderful. It's not like I eat them every day, so I'll enjoy me a tasty treat every once and a while.

And pesto is always pretty bad for you in terms of fat content. It's basically all oil.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Thread title is misleading as those sound like the most delicious for me. Fat American reporting in.

Korey

TheLastCandle said:

I will say, the only place I have eaten on that list is Five Guys, and like some have said it's totally worth it. Their burgers are wonderful. It's not like I eat them every day, so I'll enjoy me a tasty treat every once and a while.

And pesto is always pretty bad for you in terms of fat content. It's basically all oil.
Would you say it's better or worse than In-N-Out? People on Yelp seem to think it's slightly worse, and since the nearest one is 30 min away I'm not sure it'd be worth it. But maybe I'll give it a try one of these days..

deadbeef

TheLastCandle said:

Olive oil is heart-healthy, good-for-you fat

NEOPARADIGM said:
I love how the media is treating this list like it's a bad thing, and that the places that serve these dishes are somehow expected to defend themselves. I don't go to a restaurant to score health food; it's entirely the point of my visit to be gluttonous.

I think what it should be is that restaurants need to provide nutritional information for their menu. And the issue would be resolved.

methane47

How did the MONSTER THICKBURGER not make it on the list!!

* Two-thirds of a pound of beef ... 664 calories
* Three slices of cheese ... 186 calories
* Four pieces of bacon ... 150 calories
* Mayonnaise ...160 calories
* Butter ... 30 calories
* Bun ... 230 calories

Add it all up and you get a massive 1,420 calories with 107 grams of fat.

hardees_monster_thickburger.gif

Korey said:
Would you say it's better or worse than In-N-Out? People on Yelp seem to think it's slightly worse, and since the nearest one is 30 min away I'm not sure it'd be worth it. But maybe I'll give it a try one of these days..

Sadly I've never been to In-N-Out. I think it's rather good though if you want a fresh, no frills burger. Would I drive 30 mins? Probably not, but I'm spoiled that one is 5 mins from my apartment.

Machine

The only place on that list I've ever eaten is Bob Evans (not my choice) and that was at least 20 years ago. Is anyone surprised that food at chain restaurants is bad for you?

unomas

Banned
I've eaten at 4 of these places, Five Guys is quite good, I never had it until last year and the burgers are tasty. I eat healthy during the week, but my fiance and I will eat out on weekends at these types of places.

FoneBone

emomoonbase said:
I'm shocked and awed that something called the Chocolate Tower Truffle Cake would be bad for you! We need some kind of government group to tell us this stuff so we will know.
Um, CSPI is not a government group.

1. Five Guys' Bacon Cheeseburger
Before you put a single topping on it, the bacon cheeseburger from this rapidly growing chain will set you back 920 calories and 30g of fat. Throw in anywhere from 620 to 1,460 calories for Five Guys' generous portions of fries and you've got yourself a calorie, fat and salt bonanza.

I'm fucked on the very first one. I've probably had that 5 times in the last 2 months. so goddamn good.

I was actually thinking about buying a franchise, but had wondered how bad for you their food really was (no listings of caloric counts, fat or anything else readily available at their restaurants)...now I have to hesitate. That's downright SCARY.

almost 1,000 calories in one burger.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Gettin hungry here. Fortunately, I only order the bacon burger at five guys, not the bacon cheese burger. :D

Ceres

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
indeed. but shit man. 1,000 calories in one burger...without any toppings?

get the fuck out, Five Guys!

Any burger place that offers a double patty bacon cheeseburger could be subbed into that list. Why they're calling out Five Guys I have no idea.

Alucrid

Banned
Does anyone actually eat that cake alone? I feel like I could share that with three others and still have leftovers.

Souldriver said:
Stupid question.

What's the difference between fat and saturated fat, and why is the latter so much worse?

I believe too much saturated fat has a correlation to heart disease and... cancer? The other 2 types of fat which i can't remember are actually good for you.

Apath

Just want to chime in and say Five Guys is the most overrated burger joint ever. Even more overrated than In-n-Out Burger.

Cowie

I was a bit sad about five guys, but I honestly only ever get the little bacon cheeseburger anyway (still 630 calories, but better) - especially with all those fucking fries, I don't know how anyone could really need more than that.

MidnightRider said:
I am guessing it all comes from the bacon

looking at
http://www.fiveguys.net/files/files/NutritionalInfo_2009.pdf

The cheese is doing more, it looks like. Bacon only responsible for 80 calories?

Giard

Kenak said:
Just want to chime in and say Five Guys is the most overrated burger joint ever. Even more overrated than In-n-Out Burger.
I've never had a tastier burger from a fast food joint in my life.
Got one at one of Washington DC's airports, as I live in Canada. Was sooooo good.

Ryuukan

I've only been to one Five Guys location and have to say their fries are disgusting. Sure, they're fresh but they're greasy as hell. They don't soak the potatoes in water first.

BobDylan said:
cant say I have ever eating any of these things in my life and will probably keep it that way now
American food is like a cocaine orgasm.

Seriously... you get addicted and sometimes your heart stops.

tokkun

Kenak said:

Agreed. It's good for 'fast' food, but almost any restaurant burger and most bar burgers are better.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yikes.

I had 5 Guys once and, while it was amazing, I just knew it was ultra bad. This definitely confirms it.

To think that one of the guys in our group had both a triple patty burger with everything AND a hotdog with everything followed up by ice cream. Despite a full day of helping a friend move, I don't think you could offset all of that. :\

Cheech

The Cheesecake Factory has a dish called "Crispy Spicy Beef". I don't even want to know how bad that is for you, but it's incredibly delicious.

Ryuukan

Guys, unless those bacon cheeseburgers you were with those nights were HIV positive, I wouldn't worry about it.
Practice safe eating and try not to hit one every day.

MechDX

We just started getting Five Guys here in the Houston area recently and it is soooooo damn good it should be illegal.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Ceres said:
Any burger place that offers a double patty bacon cheeseburger could be subbed into that list. Why they're calling out Five Guys I have no idea.

While I agree with your sentiment, there is a reason it was picked above, let's say Wendy's.

5 Guys Bacon Cheeseburger: 317g (serving size); 920 (calories); 560 (calories from fat); 62g (fat); 29.5 (saturated fat); 0 (transfat); 180 (cholesterol); 1310 (sodium)

VS.

Wendy's Bacon Deluxe Double:
354g (serving size); 870 (calories); 470 (calories from fat); 52g (fat); 22.0 (saturated fat); 2.5 (transfat); 190 (cholesterol); 1740 (sodium)

So, in a burger that is actually 37g lighter, they've squeeze in an additional 50 calories and a full 10g of fat. You could maybe make an argument that the transfat, cholesterol, and sodium combined cancel out any other differences, but you're still stuck with 10 extra grams of fat on what is essentially the same burger.

I checked against Burger King as well, and while you could configure a Double Whopper that outclasses the 5 guys burger in every way, you technically have to create that yourself. The "official" double-patty with cheese and bacon option (bk double stack) is actually even more reasonable than Wendy's.

Now, why 5 Guys is getting flak over Carls Jr, I don't know. Those guys have elevated unhealthy eating to an art form.

MisterHero

methane47 said:
How did the MONSTER THICKBURGER not make it on the list!!

* Two-thirds of a pound of beef ... 664 calories
* Three slices of cheese ... 186 calories
* Four pieces of bacon ... 150 calories
* Mayonnaise ...160 calories
* Butter ... 30 calories
* Bun ... 230 calories

Add it all up and you get a massive 1,420 calories with 107 grams of fat.

hardees_monster_thickburger.gif
I miss my Hardee's

got replaced by an Arby's

;_;

Hmm so Five Guys really is a burger joint, eh? Imagine my surprise when a lady friend of mine, totally out of the blue, blurts out, "I TOTALLY WANNA DO FIVE GUYS!"

OP needs pics.

projekt84

I've eaten at Five Guys 1-3 times a week since a new one opened less than 3 miles from my house.

I just get the bacon cheeseburger, a cup of water, and load up on peanuts. SO GOOD.

Shiv47

Ryuukan said:
I've only been to one Five Guys location and have to say their fries are disgusting. Sure, they're fresh but they're greasy as hell. They don't soak the potatoes in water first.

This. Burgers are good, but the fries, fucking gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom