• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Affluent of SV, NYC, etc. have started doomsday prepping

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Survivalism, the practice of preparing for a crackup of civilization, tends to evoke a certain picture: the woodsman in the tinfoil hat, the hysteric with the hoard of beans, the religious doomsayer. But in recent years survivalism has expanded to more affluent quarters, taking root in Silicon Valley and New York City, among technology executives, hedge-fund managers, and others in their economic cohort.

Last spring, as the Presidential campaign exposed increasingly toxic divisions in America, Antonio García Martínez, a forty-year-old former Facebook product manager living in San Francisco, bought five wooded acres on an island in the Pacific Northwest and brought in generators, solar panels, and thousands of rounds of ammunition. “When society loses a healthy founding myth, it descends into chaos,” he told me. The author of “Chaos Monkeys,” an acerbic Silicon Valley memoir, García Martínez wanted a refuge that would be far from cities but not entirely isolated. “All these dudes think that one guy alone could somehow withstand the roving mob,” he said. “No, you’re going to need to form a local militia. You just need so many things to actually ride out the apocalypse.” Once he started telling peers in the Bay Area about his “little island project,” they came “out of the woodwork” to describe their own preparations, he said. “I think people who are particularly attuned to the levers by which society actually works understand that we are skating on really thin cultural ice right now.”

AffluentGAF, are you ready if shit hits the fan?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/01/30/doomsday-prep-for-the-super-rich

Mr.Mike

Will we see wealthy American's purchasing property in China to spread out their wealth, the way wealthy Chinese buy property in the US?

entremet

Ah, I'm so glad they're prepared for the ravages of climate change while we fight for scraps. No wonder those in charge don't give a fuck.
The rich are usually the most paranoid since they have most to lose if society crumbles.

Golden rule.

He who has the gold makes the rules.

UberTag

giphy.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think people who are particularly attuned to the levers by which society actually works understand that we are skating on really thin cultural ice right now.
Haha, nice joke mate.

I always say that taxing the rich more is justified just because they have the most to lose when shit hits the fan. It only makes sense to use their resources to keep everything from going to shit.

t26

Are they assuming this is going to happen worldwide? Why not just buy a house in New Zealand or something?

Maztorre

I think people who are particularly attuned to the levers by which society actually works understand that we are skating on really thin cultural ice right now.

Luckily the affluent of Silicon Valley and NYC aren't very attuned to how society works in general.

Still, good to know their commitment to social justice lasted about a month beyond the election results.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Like others have said, wealthy people tend to be the most paranoid about stuff like this and the means to relieve their paranoia. This has probably been going on to some extent since time immemorial but with newer and more updated fears driving it. Plus, if there's anything we should have learned recently it's that billionaires and the ultra wealthy aren't necessarily overflowing with sense.

I don't subscribe to misanthropic views like so many so maybe I'm just naive but these people are spending way too much money on pointless stuff. Although the guy buying real estate might have the right idea because at least it's a good investment if nothing else.

adj_noun

Last spring, as the Presidential campaign exposed increasingly toxic divisions in America, Antonio García Martínez, a forty-year-old former Facebook product manager living in San Francisco, bought five wooded acres on an island in the Pacific Northwest and brought in generators, solar panels, and thousands of rounds of mmunition.

Mental note: during lawless apocalypse, search wooded Pacific Northwest islands for generators, solar panels, and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

A few scattered anecdotes aren't really indicative of a broader trend

Unfortunately most of "the affluent" are still seeing whatever they want to see in trump and ignoring a lot of the worse aspects. So, they are really excited about tax cuts and regulatory change, and also see an opportunity to try to influence the new administration.

CrazyDude

Last spring, as the Presidential campaign exposed increasingly toxic divisions in America, Antonio García Martínez, a forty-year-old former Facebook product manager living in San Francisco, bought five wooded acres on an island in the Pacific Northwest and brought in generators, solar panels, and thousands of rounds of mmunition.

Jokes on him, global warming will cause the island to be underwater.

I too am afraid of the unhinged masses of the white working class becoming radicalized by our fascist president. I built my bunker in Mexico, i hope Trump builds that wall.

Javaman

I think it's prudent to have a couple days or a week of food and water handy for emergencies, but some of these guys carry it way too far. I guess if you've got the money to burn it's no biggie, but these guys need some perspective. We live in a much safer time than we did during the Cold war where the USA and the USSR were on the knifes edge of launching purposely or accidentally. Things have gotten a lot safer now that more safeguards are in place and communication between nations is easier between leaders.

I think the bottom line why some people prep so much is there is a low level animalistic part of the brain that gets tickled by "bunkering" down and they get an endorphen rush by preparing for it, counting supplies, etc. My guess is it's tied to some long forgotten part of hibernation that resides in our brains.

Hyoukokun

Not sure I count as AffluentGAF, but I have to admit that the thought has occurred to me more than once. It's a low- but not zero-likelihood possibility in my mind. I have a modest stash of gear and food in the house, most of which can do double duty for camping / backpacking. All of it would, of course, be entirely useless in most doomsday scenarios. I live too near to a major city. It gave me something vaguely constructive to do while all my internal alarm bells were going off after the US election, though. The idea of a degree of self-sufficiency appeals in any case. I loved My Side of the Mountain as a kid, and always figured I could pull it off.

adj_noun

”There's a bunch of us in the Valley. We meet up and have these financial-hacking dinners and talk about backup plans people are doing. It runs the gamut from a lot of people stocking up on Bitcoin and cryptocurrency, to figuring out how to get second passports if they need it, to having vacation homes in other countries that could be escape havens.

I'm imagining some dude wandering the wasteland clutching a banged up hard drive, trying to exchange Bitcoin for an old can of dog food.

lazygecko

You know something's up when even the statements coming out of the Davos World Economic Forum show that they're feeling rattled and they started talking about focusing on increased living standards rather than raw economic growth.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm imagining some dude wandering the wasteland clutching a banged up hard drive, trying to exchange Bitcoin for an old can of dog food.

In fallout 5, the currency will be discarded flash drives with bitcoin on them.

FStubbs

I've got a better idea.

Stop bankrolling Republicans and trying to screw over the middle class and the poor.

There, was that too hard?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I too am afraid of the unhinged masses of the white working class becoming radicalized by our fascist president. I built my bunker in Mexico, i hope Trump builds that wall.

Just wait until the New Manifest Destiny.

I think it's prudent to have a couple days or a week of food and water handy for emergencies, but some of these guys carry it way too far. I guess if you've got the money to burn it's no biggie, but these guys need some perspective. We live in a much safer time than we did during the Cold war where the USA and the USSR were on the knifes edge of launching purposely or accidentally. Things have gotten a lot safer now that more safeguards are in place and communication between nations is easier between leaders.

I think the bottom line why some people prep so much is there is a low level animalistic part of the brain that gets tickled by "bunkering" down and they get an endorphen rush by preparing for it, counting supplies, etc. My guess is it's tied to some long forgotten part of hibernation that resides in our brains.
After the Great Recession ive come to see the wisdom in preparing for emergencies. Even a couple of months of food and toiletries would have saved a lot of pain and discomfort while i was scrounging by looking for steady work. i wouldnt call it endorphion rush but there is a satisfaction in knowing even subconsciously that if something happens to my employment i can sustain for a couple months without too much trouble.

I have thought about the generator/solar panel idea at least.

Not necessarily for doomsday prepping. But I could totally forsee future blackout problems from hacking or general incompetence.

Not affluent but I'm increasingly alarmed by the direction the world is heading down, and the thought of taking steps to mitigate certain risks is increasingly on my mind.

That's a scary fucking article.

I feel a lot better knowing the elites of Silicon Valley will live on in remote Pacific Northwest island chains, living off wild mushrooms and kombucha.

Hahah, I love how they have all these elaborate plans for survival in an apocalypse but they all forget about the part where society collapses. These guys actually think they'll be able to just hop on their plane and get to their secret bunkers without any issues.

entremet

Hahah, I love how they have all these elaborate plans for survival in an apocalypse but they all forget about the part where society collapses. These guys actually think they'll be able to just hop on their plane and get to their secret bunkers without any issues.

Yep. They also forget who is growing their food, mowing their lawns, fixing their toilets, etc.

This is what automation is for. That's the long game here.

If they think we'll get that far before society collapses the jokes on them.

I read this article earlier today and I wasn't surprised. A lot of wealthy people don't get that way from being altruistic and broadly focused. They're narrowly focused on their own wealth and survival and care nothing for the society that has allowed them to become so absurdly rich. The sensible conclusion is to repair the breaches in our social fabric that they are responsible for widening, but they're not capable of that sort of thinking.

To be fair, I consider anyone that doesn't have an "OH SHIT" stash in their house and a bugout bag near the door to be an idiot. I seriously doubt I will ever need mine, but i'll be damned if I don't have them on the slim chance I need them.

Stasis

I have a go (bug out) bag and some relatively minor preparations. Like our basement has a bunch of 5 gallon water bottles and non perishables under the stairs. We basically buy one or two items per grocery run that we've been adding to that stash for a while. It won't be huge/doomsday levels, but certainly enough to survive a week or more of disaster, whatever that may be.

I'd like to spend a lot more on this and will in the near-ish future. I mean around $1000-$2000. Better bags for my gf and I, extra outdoor/camp gear etc.

If money were no object I'd definitely have some of these rich people toys. Maybe not a fucking bunker or fueled helo, but one of those all-terrain survival/camper vehicles which I think are fucking awesome regardless or some motorcycles loaded up. We'd get some fun weekend/trip use out of those I'm sure.

Don't own any weapons, though we did do our regular firearm courses so we can register. That allows us to buy a rifle we can keep at home. We'd need to do the restricted course to own a handgun. It's very different here in Quebec.

devilhawk

Will we see wealthy American's purchasing property in China to spread out their wealth, the way wealthy Chinese buy property in the US?
The land purchase restrictions that you often see recommended here in SF, LA, Seattle, and Vancouver have long been in place for foreign buyers in China.

SiteSeer

Johnson said, “If we had a more equal distribution of income, and much more money and energy going into public school systems, parks and recreation, the arts, and health care, it could take an awful lot of sting out of society. We’ve largely dismantled those things.”
wow. thanks trump.

I pulled all my money out of the stock market when it was close to 20k. I have no faith in this administration when the Super Recession of 2017/18 hits. QE4, QE5, and Negative Interest Rates are awaiting.

Foffy

Banned
You know something's up when even the statements coming out of the Davos World Economic Forum show that they're feeling rattled and they started talking about focusing on increased living standards rather than raw economic growth.

For some there, they've admitted the system has not worked for the masses, and see the rise of neonationalism as a clear sign that their ideas, their rigging, does not work well at all.

Unfortunately, there are also a great deal that were at Davos that believe in emulating the rich, which is nothing more than a free will argument. I mean, how is one to emulate the rentiers if the system is rigged that in their case, their mostly inherited money? They're telling people to work to be like them, but inheritance is not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom