• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The All New Spyborgs *Trailer inside*

Taker666

It looks far better than the first trailer..but the characters still seem very bland to me.

Surely they could have thought of something a bit more original than a musclebound male with robotic arm, a female Ninja and a big robot.Hopefully there will be some decent humour and personality as the characters just seem a bit of a nothing at present.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Taker666 said:
It looks far better than the first trailer..but the characters still seem very bland to me.

Surely they could have thought of something a bit more original than a musclebound male with robotic arm, a female Ninja and a big robot.Hopefully there will be some decent humour and personality as the characters just seem a bit of a nothing at present.

If it's still targeted primarily towards kids/families then they'll all probably be stock-standard in personality. You've got the typical leader/hero character, the fast ninja/female character, and the bulky hulk character. They'll probably have the personalities of, as mentioned, a Saturday Morning Cartoon.

Cosmonaut X said:
Looks pretty cool - definitely a step up from the first showing. Still seems aimed at the early teen market, but that's never stopped me picking up a good game.

Pretty much the same here. That saying this game just doesn't really appeal to me. This type of cartoony style just doesn't do it for me. Still looks of quality though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MWCShay said:
This should be a show on TV, I would probably watch it with my son like we do Ben10.

Now you can play it with your son.

Blueblur1

I was surprised when I found out it was a Wii game. Visually, I think it looks fantastic and the gameplay looks solid. I'm gonna keep my eye on this one. :)

Majmun

The graphics remind me of the LEGO games but without the LEGO character desing.

But it could be fun.

Eteric Rice

Maybe it's just me, but this doesn't strike me as the same kind of action game as DMC, Beyonetta, etc. This strikes me more as a Ratchet & Clank kind of game.

Needs more colors in the enviorment and characters, though. For some reason the colors seem faded.

Milabrega

Eteric Rice said:
This strikes me more as a Ratchet & Clank kind of game.

I believe a decent portion of the Bionic Games founders were members of the R & C team and Jak and Daxter teams at Insomniac and Naughty Dog (also based in Hollywood?). Which leads me to ask this question, were those games style dismissed like Spyborg's is now when they were first shown? I mean sure this looks more Jak 2 than Jak and Daxter, but as much as I loved Jak and Daxter, I loved Jak 2 more and this recent thread shows me I'm not alone. Add me to the list of people that miss fish bowl fish though.

wsippel

Banned
spyborgs-20090428064803451.jpg

spyborgs-20090428064820170.jpg

spyborgs-20090428064825966.jpg

Bullshots, obviously - but they sure look pretty damn good.

Nicktals

Banned
It appears they changed what appealed to me the most initially...The personality. But we don't know enough yet, so I'll reserved final judgement.

All I know is I remember loving the initial trailer, and thinking it looked fun.

carlnunz

Those Ign videos look really really good.

Capcom's 09 wii lineup looks ace, don't know what the haters want

RE:DC, Spyborgs, MHTri?
pretty impressive all three - add a TvC localization to that and they are set
yea DC should have been RE4:2 but for twhat it is it looks awesome

Eteric Rice

carlnunz said:
Those Ign videos look really really good.

Capcom's 09 wii lineup looks ace, don't know what the haters want

RE:DC, Spyborgs, MHTri?
pretty impressive all three - add a TvC localization to that and they are set
yea DC should have been RE4:2 but for twhat it is it looks awesome

You don't want to go there, really.

Have they gotten rid of the angle of you're playing a Saturday morning cartoon and have to play bizarre mini-games during "commercial breaks"? As dumb as the one they showed sounded, I think the idea could have been really clever and funny and given the game some charm and personality, something it really seemed to lack in this trailer.

Could be entertaining, I guess, but it looks also-ran like a mofo.

pakkit

Banned
Nicktals said:
It appears they changed what appealed to me the most initially...The personality. But we don't know enough yet, so I'll reserved final judgement.

All I know is I remember loving the initial trailer, and thinking it looked fun.
I think the humor was too forced in the original trailer. The gameplay bits I saw a year ago seemed to be like "Okay, this is what we think is funny." Hopefully they kept the humor while toning it down a bit.

The graphics look superb, and I did see a pointer/IR support in the first IGN video. I'd guess it's there for weapon targeting.

wsippel

Banned
pakkit said:
I think the humor was too forced in the original trailer. The gameplay bits I saw a year ago seemed to be like "Okay, this is what we think is funny." Hopefully they kept the humor while toning it down a bit.

The graphics look superb, and I did see a pointer/IR support in the first IGN video. I'd guess it's there for weapon targeting.
The pointer functionality is explained in the IGN preview. It's used for puzzles, but Bionic wants to implement it in combat, too. To reveal weak points or something.

CTLance

I feel somewhat less pessimistic about this now. Not bad. That bossfight at the end could be amazing if done right methinks.

Ok, I really like this!

The first trailer didn't look "funny" to me at all. It seemed like the humor was just . . . low grade and forced. (same could be said for the art style). I would like to see more humor in this trailer, the big guy seemed like he was hinting at that with that line. Does the robot still act like a kid? Seemed more . . . robotic and blank this time.

And I have mixed feeling about the boys being cut from the Playable team. On one hand I thought it would be cool if one was cut in favor of a girl (it seemed odd . . . Robot/ Man/ Woman . . . 2 boys) but on the other hand I simply didn't like them so Im OK with them being side lined.

This reminds me of Ben 10 . . . but in a good way. EVERYONE at me school loves Ben 10 (I go to a art school and most of these people are adults majoring in Animation and Game Design. And we like the first Ben 10 . . .not that shitty new one). As for games, it does look like a R&C/ J&D kinda game which isn't bad in my book.

Anyway, I like! Still hoping they put in on-line Co-op. >_>

billy.sea

Banned
Still very generic to me. Some developers just don't have the kind of artistic talent in them to make interesting character design. This is what we call Tech Monkey vs. Art House.

This game is going to be another Dewy's Adventure, Opoona, Billy Hatchet etc level game, as compare to Ratchet, Starfox, Megaman or Jak.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This looks like a Pixar'd version of the old The Ninja Warriors arcade game. I'll play it just for the giant robot at the end of the trailer.

I love giant robots :)

Taker666

The graphics look damn nice in the IGN vids..but the fact it's a forced co-op brawler has put me off completely.

I just want some good single player adventure games or platformers with a bit of depth.

wsippel

Banned
The more I look at it, the more I like it. I was one of the guys hyping this game right from the start, and now I don't think I'll be disappointed. :)

So it's a beat-em-upr? Hmm my interest has risen. Those are also some damn nice graphics. Capcom really does love pushing the Wii's graphical capabilities.

I was expecting diarrhea vomited out from a buffalo's dick. This new trailer surpass those expectations. Now let see if they can follow through and actually impress me. Chances are, the gameplay might not be too hot.

Although 2 player co-op brawler did get my attention. I'm thinking Turtles In Time.

JaseMath

I'm on board! There hasn't been a beat 'em up that's really got my attention in a while, so hopefully this holds up. I actually really like the new look, too. :D

EDIT: Could those screens be bull shots? They look way too clean for Wii...?

Jaagen

JasonMCG said:
I'm on board! There hasn't been a beat 'em up that's really got my attention in a while, so hopefully this holds up. I actually really like the new look, too. :D

EDIT: Could those screens be bull shots? They look way too clean for Wii...?

They'er bullshots, but the geometry and effects are representative of the final thing. It just won't look as clean.

I wish the characters looked less generic...that's about my only complaint. There haven't really been any co-op beat em ups like this since, I dunno, the N64/PS1/Saturn gen so this is pretty exciting. But man, those characters look so stupid...I know Capcom has better artists/designers than this

I heard that with the proper cables, it can look as clean, or at least a nice jump in picture quality.

I know Capcom has better artists/designers than this

That's because Capcom's just the publisher. The art is ugly no matter how you look at it. The original was an ugly Saturday morning cartoon, while the new look has an E-Surance commercial look to it.

Eteric Rice

Cow Mengde said:
I heard that with the proper cables, it can look as clean, or at least a nice jump in picture quality.

That's because Capcom's just the publisher. The art is ugly no matter how you look at it. The original was an ugly Saturday morning cartoon, while the new look has an E-Surance commercial look to it.

My image always looks fine, it's just the goddam jaggies that fuck it up sometimes.

Forkball

I hope there are more than three players. Three player co-op just sounds weird. The new look looks a bit generic too.

Dascu

You know, I got to tip my hat to Capcom. This looks a lot better than the original. I'm actually pretty interested in it now, after watching some of the gameplay videos. Good job.

gabe90

To add my 2 cents, I like this. It looks cool, appeals to a wide audience, and will likely sell a lot, especially if Capcom advertises it.

CapKraig

Eteric Rice said:
Maybe it's just me, but this doesn't strike me as the same kind of action game as DMC, Beyonetta, etc. This strikes me more as a Ratchet & Clank kind of game.

Needs more colors in the enviorment and characters, though. For some reason the colors seem faded.

We internally think of it as DMC meeting Ratchet & Clank.

Top Bottom