• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The All New Spyborgs *Trailer inside*

EDarkness

turk128 said:
As much as you say there doesn't need to be blood or anything like that, what you really want is a more 'hardcore' or 'mature' game. It's clear from the start that this was not the intent of this game.

You also seem to think that making the game stylized is some type of creative crutch; it takes a hell lot more exercise of the creative muscles to make a stylized game. The realistic style that's so prevalent in the HD consoles is the equivalent of wearing black to a fashion show.

If that's what you think, then fine. As I said, I could care less about blood. I'm just tired of these colorful happy looking games. Last time I checked, there's no crime in that. If this game looked like Devil May Cry with no blood, I'd be all over it. I understand that the devs want to go with a Saturday morning cartoon look. That's great. Believe me, if this game came out when the Wii launched, I'd give it more consideration, but it's been a couple years now and we're constantly seeing these kind of "stylized" games that are colorful because they're on the Wii. Every dev has a vision of what they want to go with as far as a style, but why choose this one on the Wii? And why not do this exact same game on the 360 or PS3?

<shrug> Probably no real answer to that.

CapKraig

turk128 said:
As much as you say there doesn't need to be blood or anything like that, what you really want is a more 'hardcore' or 'mature' game. It's clear from the start that this was not the intent of this game.

You also seem to think that making the game stylized is some type of creative crutch; it takes a hell lot more exercise of the creative muscles to make a stylized game. The realistic style that's so prevalent in the HD consoles is the equivalent of wearing black to a fashion show.

Funny thing along those lines, Turk128.. Remember back in like PS1 / PS2 / Xbox 1 days.. it was all about how real can we get.. Well now we're so much there, and it is so much 'easier' to achieve with this console hardware, reality is no longer that big a deal.. it's about cool and interesting worlds..

CapKraig

EDarkness said:
If that's what you think, then fine. As I said, I could care less about blood. I'm just tired of these colorful happy looking games. Last time I checked, there's no crime in that. If this game looked like Devil May Cry with no blood, I'd be all over it. I understand that the devs want to go with a Saturday morning cartoon look. That's great. Believe me, if this game came out when the Wii launched, I'd give it more consideration, but it's been a couple years now and we're constantly seeing these kind of "stylized" games that are colorful because they're on the Wii. Every dev has a vision of what they want to go with as far as a style, but why choose this one on the Wii? And why not do this exact same game on the 360 or PS3?

Hopefully we can change your mind. Appreciate your contributions to the convo.

turk128

EDarkness said:

That's perfectly okay to have your own opinion but ask yourself this: why aren't you sick and tired of the realistic style in games that are so prevalent nowadays?

And if say, a game like Madden suddenly choose to implement a style to their models (it's not just for looks either, the distinct silhouette will help much in game play), why would you bag on it? Because it stands out, because it's not real like others? You answer these questions and you'll get your answer on why they don't do this exact same game on the 360 or PS3.

The gaming industry isn't that far from the movie industry nowadays.

turk128

CapKraig said:
Funny thing along those lines, Turk128.. Remember back in like PS1 / PS2 / Xbox 1 days.. it was all about how real can we get.. Well now we're so much there, and it is so much 'easier' to achieve with this console hardware, reality is no longer that big a deal.. it's about cool and interesting worlds..
Exactly.

In the art world, when photography became prevalent and relatively cheap, new styles and movements of art started up. Artists attempted new things, explored whole new paths. In gaming (besides a handful of exceptions... there's always going to be exceptions), photography has come and it seems the industry as a whole is too timid to try new things. In a way, I really don't blame them, we're talking about the same audience that still treats animation as entertainment for kids so anything that's stylized that way will automatically have the stigma.

EDarkness

turk128 said:
That's perfectly okay to have your own opinion but ask yourself this: why aren't you sick and tired of the realistic style in games that are so prevalent nowadays?

And if say, a game like Madden suddenly choose to implement a style to their models (it's not just for looks either, the distinct silhouette will help much in game play), why would you bag on it? Because it stands out, because it's not real like others? You answer these questions and you'll get your answer on why they don't do this exact same game on the 360 or PS3.

The gaming industry isn't that far from the movie industry nowadays.

I think I need to clarify a little. I don't really care about being "realistic" either. I thought Afro Samurai had a great style to it. The new look for Red Steel 2 is different, but I'm willing to give it a shot because I liked the style of XIII. Madworld is good, as is House of the Dead Overkill. Okami has a great style, too. As does Muramasa The Demon Blade. I used Devil May Cry as an example because they're in the same genre. I don't want Gears of War, either. Something in the middle would be fine, but something that stands out and doesn't come across as "cute".

As for why I'd dog the look of the new Madden...well, I play "sim" football games to replicate real life as close as we can get it. For a game like NFL Blitz an exaggerated style is great. However, for "sim" football, it's no good. Same for "sim" racing. If Gran Tourismo had a cartoon/colorful look to it, you can bet there would be a firestorm. It's just not that kind of game. There is a place for these colorful games, though. Some games just don't benefit from it, or they have a history that people expect certain things from the game. If EA made a brand new game called Madden Legends and used this new style, I bet people would be relatively happy with that. But that's not what they're doing.

The game looks fun to me...well, the little that was shown. My concerns(aside from the obvious camera issues that may arise) are:

1. Defense - will there be any? Dodge, counter, parry, something? Will it require any such thing?

2. Enemy transition - How does the flow of combat work?

3. Framerate - is it going to be 60fps? If not, will it be a smooth 30?

turk128

EDarkness said:
As for why I'd dog the look of the new Madden...well, I play "sim" football games to replicate real life as close as we can get it. For a game like NFL Blitz an exaggerated style is great. However, for "sim" football, it's no good. Same for "sim" racing. If Gran Tourismo had a cartoon/colorful look to it, you can bet there would be a firestorm. It's just not that kind of game. There is a place for these colorful games, though. Some games just don't benefit from it, or they have a history that people expect certain things from the game. If EA made a brand new game called Madden Legends and used this new style, I bet people would be relatively happy with that. But that's not what they're doing.
Ah, understood. As for myself, I miss the heyday of NBA Jam; all about pure fun.

Doesn't EA kinda acknowledge that the Wii version are... 'different'? All Play label or something.

EDarkness

turk128 said:
Ah, understood. As for myself, I miss the heyday of NBA Jam; all about pure fun.

Doesn't EA kinda acknowledge that the Wii version are... 'different'? All Play label or something.

NBA Jam was awesome. I think I owned three versions of that game...even the Jaguar version. Heh, heh. Good stuff.

They had the "All Play" last year, but that didn't fly, so it's gone this year. I think if they kept regular Madden, then made a separate version for the family, then they'd be doing themselves a favor. Taking regular Madden and changing it up for Wii owners is what the problem is. They assume that Wii owners want kiddie family friendly games, but I think they're off the mark. We'll see if they'll have to reinvent Madden again next year....

Again, as a Wii owner, I feel like devs are playing with us. They want us to buy their games, but then they say the "Wii owner wants this...or that" then show off kid looking games and spinoffs or rail shooters. Too much thinking and not enough just doing what they do. Make your game and let the market sort it out.

Highly poly models? Check. Good lighting? Check. Spiffy effects? Check.

You guys have the makings of a pretty Wii game.

And I could totally use a few more action games this gen.

gamingeek

Cap Kraig, don't listen to the other guys.

The presentation is top notch, except for that ninja woman who is straight out of Kim Possible. You need to make her look like a modern videogame woman. So make her breasts impossibly large and dress her in an X-Blades style thong. :lol

But seriously the only things that worry me are variety, length and online play. You have to get this game working co-op two player online with Wii Speak, preferably 4 player.

I talk to guys who say that offline co-op is useless to them.

Also, after playing Madword, gestures only work in context to what you are doing, for instance stabbing down makes Jack stab down with a chainsaw. And you have to match the timing as best as possible to get that visceral feeling.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
CapKraig, I like the style and hope the game does at least moderately well. I will be keeping a close eye on this one. It reminds me of Captain Commando in a weird way.

turk128

olubode said:
CapKraig, I like the style and hope the game does at least moderately well. I will be keeping a close eye on this one. It reminds me of Captain Commando in a weird way.
Now that you mention it... it really does have CC vibes.

Just whiched this vid last night, I have to say that Im really likeing the animation. The characters (The borgs and the enemies) actually seem to have a kind of "life" to them or a kind of persona. This stands out to me when I compare it to other Wii brawlers atlease.

And the gameplay looks very interesting. I keep hearing reports about the motion controls being too loss so I hope devs fix that if its the case.

CapKraig

abstract alien said:
The game looks fun to me...well, the little that was shown. My concerns(aside from the obvious camera issues that may arise) are:

1. Defense - will there be any? Dodge, counter, parry, something? Will it require any such thing?

2. Enemy transition - How does the flow of combat work?

3. Framerate - is it going to be 60fps? If not, will it be a smooth 30?

I can answer 1.5 of those questions easily, as #2 is still in the works, so here goes:

1: Defense (blocking) was in and working in the demo. There might have been a bit of it in the footage. The team is working on parries as we speak.

3. The stuff you saw was going very smooth 30.

CapKraig

Black-Wind said:
Just whiched this vid last night, I have to say that Im really likeing the animation. The characters (The borgs and the enemies) actually seem to have a kind of "life" to them or a kind of persona. This stands out to me when I compare it to other Wii brawlers atlease.

And the gameplay looks very interesting. I keep hearing reports about the motion controls being too loss so I hope devs fix that if its the case.

Motion control feedback is valid. We had just gotten them in the demo build like 2 weeks before the demo, so they are largely placeholder / work in progress (the demo build was pre-Alpha!). We only wanted to show how they would be used. During the event, we were careful to tell everyone that they were a work in progress. They will be significantly more tuned and fleshed out by E3.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The whole Sat. Morning cartoon vibe got me more interested. If I was 10 years old again, Excitebots and this would make me a Wii fan for life.

CapKraig

gamingeek said:
Cap Kraig, don't listen to the other guys.

The presentation is top notch, except for that ninja woman who is straight out of Kim Possible. You need to make her look like a modern videogame woman. So make her breasts impossibly large and dress her in an X-Blades style thong. :lol

But seriously the only things that worry me are variety, length and online play. You have to get this game working co-op two player online with Wii Speak, preferably 4 player.

I talk to guys who say that offline co-op is useless to them.

Also, after playing Madword, gestures only work in context to what you are doing, for instance stabbing down makes Jack stab down with a chainsaw. And you have to match the timing as best as possible to get that visceral feeling.

219% agree on the last point (gestures) and is something we are working on as I type. The demo at Captivate was not doing this well because the motion controls had just been implemented. The one really great feeling gesture is when you wave both Wiimote+Nunchuk down to do a huge, leveled up ground pound with Bouncer (The robot.) Feels AWESOME. The rest need some work, and they're getting them.

There is no online play planned. Like Dark Void, we're focusing everything into the game this time around. For a Spyborgs sequel, it would be tops on the list for things to conquer. Without a doubt, the best way to play Spyborgs is in the same room.

Will pass along your Clan (Ninja) feedback. :)

CapKraig

Thunder Monkey said:
Highly poly models? Check. Good lighting? Check. Spiffy effects? Check.

You guys have the makings of a pretty Wii game.

And I could totally use a few more action games this gen.

If this is successful, we'll be happy to give you a bunch! This is Capcom CEI (US) first big foray into Wii. It has been a haul, but man we're really happy with this thing thus far.

CapKraig

olubode said:

Hehehe, only moderately well? Cmon, throw me a bone here!

J-Rock

Banned
Hey CapKraig, do you guys plan to use the IR/pointer in the game? The IR/pointer is one of my favorite features on the Wii-Remote.

Scrubking

CapKraig said:
If this is successful, we'll be happy to give you a bunch! This is Capcom CEI (US) first big foray into Wii. It has been a haul, but man we're really happy with this thing thus far.

I know of some other Capcom games that have been successful and we're still waiting on that "bunch".

Milabrega

CapKraig said:

Better words could not have been spoken.

Not worth a new topic, but Capcom released a few new screens.

8a18cdb8db7d3240f491b5ecb1c91cd2.png

01793a6d040f6e93a05b68da8e83ae5d.png

c9d18dae8eac10ffc94969dbb7f034ad.png

227250face3d073c41855dd8ef552aaa.png

CTLance said:

The art still looks like ass.

Oh and ever since the Captivate 09 showing, this game really did turn me 180 degrees. I went from hating it, to loving it. The folks did a great job on this game. Not only is to visually impressive, but... THERE'S GAMEPLAY to judge the game on. Yes, I do think the art's still ass, but I love brawlers. This is how you should show off a game! Hell, even if it had the visuals of the 08 showing but with actual gameplay footage, I wouldn't have been so harsh on this game.

Meesh

DefectiveReject said:
why bother... looks too generic to be liked by the masses
The character designs bother me...a lot...they're plain and forgetable. Who knows, the game itself might be redeeming in others ways...

boiled goose

good with gravy
i think this will fail to garner interest from both the masses and the core unless it is heavily marketed as something big and the quality is there.

I predict flop regardless of quality.

I do not even have interest in looking at the new screens or reading the previews for some reason.

New vids look great!

I think this will do well. Capcom seems like they are really backing this one up and it just looks fun.

Gotta read the IGN thing now.

Milabrega

I sure hope the robot not doing a damn thing during the boss fight, or even just being there for the boss fight is because someone dropped the 2nd controller for the footage capture and not because the game forces you to have an AI side kick. Combat just seems, plain and average. No sign of any platforming either, though they never said its a platforming game, that was always my hope that they incorporated some in.

jibblypop

Banned
Milabrega said:
No sign of any platforming either, though they never said its a platforming game, that was always my hope that they incorporated some in.

I thought I was the only one! I always assumed this was a platforming game for some reason and I was so hyped! But after seeing the videos I'm less hyped but it's all my fault for assuming this game is something it's not.

JDSN

Banned
I hope we get to see more areas soon, the whole reminds me about the Lego games and honestly, it pisses me off to see such a talented team working on this.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
JDSN said:
I hope we get to see more areas soon, the whole reminds me about the Lego games and honestly, it pisses me off to see such a talented team working on this.

Why does it piss you off? This game seems to be on a bigger budget than Capcom's last Wii offering, which was Dead Rising Chop till You Drop (and that game was a complete shit job of a port). Spyborgs looks to be a fun action/brawler with decent graphics. No complaints there, unless you're implying that this game is brain numbingly mindless like the other Lego games.

Milabrega said:
No sign of any platforming either, though they never said its a platforming game, that was always my hope that they incorporated some in.

jibblypop said:
I thought I was the only one! I always assumed this was a platforming game for some reason and I was so hyped! But after seeing the videos I'm less hyped but it's all my fault for assuming this game is something it's not.
I just want to ask . . . WTH is wrong with yall?!?

I have seen this too often for this game on this site (people going "AAAWWWW!! Its not a platformer any more?!? I thought it hadz da platforming!").

What, did people think is was some platformer because of how odd and cartoony/ R&Cish it looked when we first saw it in that shitty trailer? o_0

batbeg

Spyborgs consists of four chapters, four main boss fights, and from what I can tell anywhere from six to eight actual stages in each chapter. The first one took about an hour to complete, the second one another hour and a half, and the third seems to be ramping up quite nicely to make for about a six to eight hour experience depending on difficulty level. Spyborgs includes a list of 40 achievements – many of which are so hard I can't see anyone (or a very select few) getting – four starting difficulty levels, and unlockable fifth, an infinite brawl mode, boss rush, and upgrade system for each of the three playable characters.

Bought. Though 4 bosses sounds pretty weak, hopefully the minibosses are decent enough.

Is the Hardline news presenter Cam Clarke? Or am I going crazy?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
GDGF said:
Holy fuck this got all kinds of badass all of a sudden. That giant robot boss is awesome!
all of a sudden? that particular boss was revealed quite a long time ago. back then, though, gaf was all 'ooh, saturday morning cartoon' and 'aah, waggle waggle'. so i wonder what happened.

Top Bottom