• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S4 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

I have family coming in tonight for a HS graduation on Friday and party on Saturday. It'll likely be Sunday night (after GoT) before my wife and I have a chance to watch this.

Ugh.

Also, someone tweeted Sepinwall to mention that DirecTV and possibly other providers had screwed up their listings as of this morning, so it's worth checking your DVR if you plan on recording it tonight.

Thanks for this. Have DirecTV here and yup, had to set tonight to record. It had recorded something at 2 in the morning that was 20 minutes long thinking it was the final episode.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I'm glad the press at least tries to make people aware that this show is good. I wonder why it hasn't grown in popularity more over the years. Maybe being exclusive to Amazon Prime Instant in the US hurts a little? Literally almost every time I tell friends about how good it is, the followup question from them is "Is it on Netflix?" But then again, Game of Thrones is on HBO and plenty of viewers keep up with that. FX isn't some super niche exclusive channel, I'd imagine most people that have cable have FX.

I'm not sweating it though, we don't have to worry about this getting cancelled before it ends anymore. Haha

Isn't it basically this plus him trying to maybe sabotage Tatiana's move to Kenya? I assume the Lhasa virus thing will definitely seal her appointment if it isn't already.

And yeah there was the talk about the Soviets having shit technology like threads and seals on containers that leaked as well as that satellite incident that almost caused everyone to die. If I was Oleg I would be worried too.

Yeah, I honestly think he was playing Beeman about the whole worried about the virus getting out. It was all about him wanting his girlfriend to stay in America instead of getting a promotion. He likes where he is at.

The only time Oleg would betray his country is for a woman.

- Newsday: ‘The Americans’ review: Season 4 is the best yet
The fourth season may have been the best, or at least the most carefully considered, of “The Americans” four seasons to date. This may also finally, officially, be the quietest spy thriller in the long history of spy thrillers — usually with just two people talking, on a park bench or over a plate of chopped vegetables. They present the illusion — or misconception — that nothing is happening when everything is happening. It’s where real-world geopolitics meets real-world family chitchat at the dinner table. This season, the “chitchat” never felt so consequential, so loaded with potential, or meaning. There are two seasons left. At the close of the fourth, “The Americans” feels like a show that will only get better — if that’s even possible.

- The Atlantic: The Americans' Brutal Season Comes to an End
Midway through this season of The Americans, the undercover KGB agents Elizabeth (Keri Russell) and Philip Jennings (Matthew Rhys) faced their umpteenth moral crisis: whether to kill their daughter’s youth pastor Tim—who’d discovered their double lives due to her indiscretion—and risk traumatizing her forever. They unsurprisingly opted to spare him in the hope he’d keep his mouth shut, a decision their Soviet handler Gabriel (Frank Langella) warned would feel like “living in a burning house.” “What else is new?” was Philip’s dour reply.

What was new in this season of The Americans, though, was the sense that Philip and Elizabeth’s story is winding to a close, that their secret crusade for the motherland is a doomed cause riddled with ethical holes, and that their daughter Paige’s (Holly Taylor) future might be the only thing worth saving. The fourth year of the critically appreciated, under-seen, and under-awarded FX drama (which airs its finale Wednesday night) was the show’s most existential and least action-packed to date, as it continued to test the audience’s allegiance to the lead characters as their ideological crusade grew more gruesome and pointless. The season was, overall, a grim triumph—one that was at times painful to stick with. But the news that the show now has a firm end date in mind should be heartening for fans eager to see the series build to a conclusion with its last two seasons.

Not enough #CriticCabalHype, but here's at least a little bit form Greenwald:
Andy Greenwald said:
Sorry not to provide any #hot #content on THE AMERICANS this week. All I can say is that tonight is a gripping end to a magnificent season.

ty_hot

How is this series doing? I stopped watching in the middle of S02 (because i didnt have time to watch) but I want to keep watching. Is it as good as it was? Better?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
How is this series doing? I stopped watching in the middle of S02 (because i didnt have time to watch) but I want to keep watching. Is it as good as it was? Better?

Definitely as good as ever. If I absolutely had to point out a weak point in the series, it would probably be Season 2. But that was also the only season that I binge watched, which probably had an impact on my viewing. Even in that instance it wasn't bad, I just don't think I had time to adequately digest the plot.

This show never goes for cheap moments, so it hasn't Jumped the Shark or anything like that. And they just announced that Season 6 will be the last one, so we know what the end point will be.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Also, someone tweeted Sepinwall to mention that DirecTV and possibly other providers had screwed up their listings as of this morning, so it's worth checking your DVR if you plan on recording it tonight.

Glad I saw this. Last night around 5 am my DVR recorded a 21 minute "finale" episode, which actually turned out to be an infomercial. And of course since it recorded the bad listing it was now going to skip the real one.

Glad I saw this. Last night around 5 am my DVR recorded a 21 minute "finale" episode, which actually turned out to be an infomercial. And of course since it recorded the bad listing it was now going to skip the real one.
Checked my setup and it did something similar. Make sure your recordings are squared away for tonight!

-griffy-

Banned
Are you guys aware we are 30 minutes away from the finale.

Woooowoooo

I'm more excited than Stan is for dinner
1pFeat8.gif

-griffy-

Banned
Not wasting any time. You'd think with how last week set it up, this meet/stakeout would be the climax of the finale, probably would be on another show. But nope, start the episode with it! Makes me excited for what the rest of the episode entails.

jon_i634

Banned
Just caught up about 2 hours ago! This is the first episode I've been able to catch live and I don't think I could've timed it any better.

Top Bottom