• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Arrested Development GAF Pilgrimage: Recharging your chi one episode at a time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got in a KotoR binge the other night and forgot the update.

Today's episode: "Righteous Brothers:

zQycrQb.png

Synopsis - G.O.B. hides George Sr. while the model home's plumbing is checked; George Michael helps Ann protest Maeby's new movie; Tobias takes a liking to Kitty after Michael asks him to keep an eye on her.

Another classic episode.

Pop Secret?! Is Oscar my real father?!

Bladenic

Didn't see this till just now, I actually started watching 2 days ago on a whim to catch up for when the new season comes out. I'm way behind this thread though, only on S1 episode 16, but I'll catch up.

Got in a KotoR binge the other night and forgot the update.

Today's episode: "Righteous Brothers:

zQycrQb.png

Synopsis - G.O.B. hides George Sr. while the model home's plumbing is checked; George Michael helps Ann protest Maeby's new movie; Tobias takes a liking to Kitty after Michael asks him to keep an eye on her.

I love the song that plays when the two of them fight. haha.

Season 3, the beginning of the end, people!

Today's episode: "The Cabin Show"

SuQQxjX.png

Synopsis - Michael postpones camping with his son to look for his father in Reno. Meanwhile, Lucille goes off her medication; G.O.B. meets a fellow disappointed son; and Maeby and George Michael can't help being thrown together.

My favorite conversation of the episode is the one between Michael and Lucille:
Lucille: Apparently, mood altering medication leads to street drugs. That's what this very handsome young doctor said on The Today Show.
Michael: That was Tom Cruise, the actor.
Lucille: They said he was some kind of scientist.

Michael: Maybe you can bring a date to the cabin.
Lucille: I don't want anybody to go inside that musty claptrap.
Michael: ... Oh, the cabin!

ct24JXE.gif

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
He becomes hyper-emotional as the show goes on. It's actually a frustration for me, I'm hoping it's toned down in S4.
Is there a clear indicator why or just Flanderization?

Working in a loud kindergarten class today I could barely hear a kid say "beads". I was so tempted to ask if he said bees, which wouldn't have been relevant to what we were doing lol

Thus begins the Wee Britain saga!

Today's episode: "For British Eyes Only"

de674JM.png

Synopsis - Investigating his father's claim that a British group set him up, Michael goes to "Wee Britain" and is smitten with a beautiful woman named Rita. Lindsay attempts to seduce the new family attorney, and G.O.B. goes to extremes to avoid his newly discovered son.

And Charlize Theron looks damn fine.

The most beautiful woman in the world is in Arrested Development!
Michael: I -- I was wondering if you might be willing to go somewhere with me? I -- I will pay you.
Rita: ... You'll pay me?
Michael: Not ... Not for sex. You're gonna think that I'm Jack the Ripper, right? Didn't he kill prostitutes, or ...
Rita: I'm not a prostitute.
Michael: And I shall let you live ... haha. This is my worst hello.

I also like the following:
Michael: If you're really lonely, maybe it's time you went out there and you got yourself a girlfr.. a pet.
Buster: How about a turtle?
Michael: Great.
Buster: I've always loved those leathery little snappy faces.
Michael: You certainly have a type.

FVg9KB9.gif

Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?

I also like the following:
Michael: If you're really lonely, maybe it's time you went out there and you got yourself a girlfr.. a pet.
Buster: How about a turtle?
Michael: Great.
Buster: I've always loved those leathery little snappy faces.
Michael: You certainly have a type.

FVg9KB9.gif

Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?

George's chicken dance is my favorite.

TUSR

Banned
Has anyone ever seen a chicken here

I love how I can turn on a random episode and there is something I can always laugh at.

Wow. I dont know how I missed that the whole Poppuns thing is a callback to this:
HjvRoEQ.gif

Just thought it was one of those british-isms.

George's chicken dance is my favorite.

Yep. Gets me every damn time. His body movements are so unpredicatable.

And yeah...Charlize so fine. I like here reaction when she says "Lucky for you, My WHOLE face is british." lol

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Thus begins the Wee Britain saga!

Today's episode: "For British Eyes Only"

de674JM.png

Synopsis - Investigating his father's claim that a British group set him up, Michael goes to "Wee Britain" and is smitten with a beautiful woman named Rita. Lindsay attempts to seduce the new family attorney, and G.O.B. goes to extremes to avoid his newly discovered son.

And Charlize Theron looks damn fine.

Re-watching this episode knowing that
Charlize Theron's character has the mind of a 5 year old
is freaking hilarious.

"How would you like it if someone came after someone stupid in your family!" LOL

Today's episode: "Forget-Me-Now"

Ks0Npds.png

Synopsis - Michael tries to hide Rita from his family with disastrous results; Lindsay waits hand and foot on the Bluths' new lawyer; George attempts escaping via balloons; Tobias tries to help Buster gain some self-confidence; George Michael confronts Steve Holt about Maeby.

Another Classic episode. I don't get the hate season 3 gets on gaf, its a damn shame the season got cut back from 22 to 13 episodes. Thats so much meat being taken off bone.

The intro for the Surrogate, Larry Middleman, is absolutely hilarious:

Michael: That's why I had this meeting here, so Dad could not interfere.

Larry: Interfere? I ought to pull down your pants and spank your ass raw.

Michael: I'm sorry, have we met?
I also like how they tied everything with the Seal w/ a Bowtie.
iySw9IAm.png

Lots of great quotables here too:

Bob Loblaw: I’d be very careful of these British people. They’re going to try to get their hands on any evidence they can to hurt the family.
George: So you’re saying shred the evidence?
Bob Loblaw: No, that’s illegal. The prosecution is entitled to that evidence. Without it, they don’t have a case.
George: So you’re saying shred the evidence?
Bob Loblaw: That’s a felony. And I certainly couldn’t endorse anything like that.
George: Got ya. Wink.
Larry: Wink. Did you say “wink” or did you wink?
Michael: He said that, too, Dad.

GOB: Thats my son, you pothead!

TV: Bob Loblaw No Habla Espanol.

Also, the episode had, arguably, one of the greatest dramatic scenes of the 21st Century

Bob Loblaw is as fun to say as rural juror.
Bob Loblaw: Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk, you need Bob Loblaw.

Tobias: Here, take my business card. (Buster gasps loudly) No, no. It's pronounced a-NAL-rapist.
Buster: It wasn't really the pronunciation that bothered me.

I also love this part:
Michael: You know, your average American male is in a perpetual state of adolescence, you know, arrested development.
Narrator: Hey, that's the name of the show.

Iceman

I love the sight gag of reading Fat Ammy's slogan on the side of the ENORMOUS take out bag:

"I'm still eating at..."

sooo genius. I'm writing up a screenplay for a short a friend and myself came up with and whenever we think of how we can make a scene funnier we go right to Arrested Development... and then realize we can't make anything that good.

But I think we've all learned that good doesn't sell, so.. although it does create a loyal fan-base.

its a damn shame the season got cut back from 22 to 13 episodes. Thats so much meat being taken off bone.
I know where you're going with this, baby.

GOB: Thats my son, you pothead!
I love that callback.

SH: I've made a huge mistake.
GOB: I know the feeling. I had you. (Holy crap!)

CrunchyFrog, I hope you don't mind me doing this again:

Today's episode: "Notapusy"

qHUx8zc.png

Synopsis - Michael enters a father-son triathlon with Steve Holt; Maeby dons a disguise to compete in the Miss Inner Beauty pageant while her parents coach other entrants; George speaks to at-risk youths, and Buster tries to recruit one to replace him in the Army.

Since noone noticed :p

EDIT: COME ON! beaten by 60 seconds

Things are gonna get crazy for me over the next 2-3 days (I"m graduating from college tomorrow woooooooo) so don't be surprised if I completely miss the update (again), in which event somebody else feel free to fill in, you know the drill by now.

As for this episode, I always genuinely feel so bad for the kinda frumpy young Maebe in the beauty pageant flashback.

Since noone noticed :p

EDIT: COME ON! beaten by 60 seconds

Things are gonna get crazy for me over the next 2-3 days (I"m graduating from college tomorrow woooooooo) so don't be surprised if I completely miss the update (again), in which event somebody else feel free to fill in, you know the drill by now.
Congratulations on your graduation! I should have waited a little longer before posting. I'm sorry about that.

Anyway, on topic:
GKlq1y8.gif

Rita: You are really quite a man, Michael.
Michael: You really think so?
Rita: Oh, yes. You are a complete and utter *bleep*. (kisses Michael and then leaves)
Narrator: I can't believe we had to bleep that. It would've been such a nice moment.

Today's episode: "Mr. F"

V94A9cU.png

Synopsis - Moles underground alert the Bluths to a mole in their company; Tobias mistakes a CIA agent for a theatrical one.

I love when Buster says "Alias is a show about spies" and when Michael rips the poster in his son's room to reveal the Les Cousins Dangereux poster.

I also love Rita's: Well, so what if I have. I’ve got feelings, all right? I’m a woman, too, Not some robot you get to tell everything to! I’m sick of it! I’m sick of it all! Your instructions! And your letters! And your little missions! And stupid assignments— “You do the math, Rita.” Well, no, you do the math!

I also like this moment:
Gob: Hey, maybe that's it. Maybe we should do to the Japanese what they do in their movies. Build a miniature city, put it outside the window, tell them it's far away. It'll look real if you squint. God knows they're squinters. (looks at Larry the surrogate) What do you think, dad? A whole, tiny town.
George Sr./Larry: Another brilliant idea, Einstein.
Gob: Really? You'd like to build it with me?
George Sr./Larry: Larry really never knows how to sell the sarcasm. It's a stupid idea.

Thanks again for filling in Battle Born! Was a good day today. Posting this one a little early as I'm exhausted and won't be up much longer.

Today's episode: "The Ocean Walker"

SHUockN.png

Synopsis - Michael's parents disapprove of him marrying Rita until a revelation from her uncle.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I never truly appreciated Charlize Theron's performance until this re-watch. Probably one of best performed support characters in the series.

Iceman

Married, married, married! Okay, night-night!

Rita corny, Michael.

Rita: But I want to get married and have sexual relations like you promised.
Lucille: Where did you get this firecracker?

The mere fact that you call it that tells me you are ready.

edit: just noticed something for the first time -

Michael (to George Michael) "...she's thirty and a half and she doesn't even know the seven houses of parliament."

Rita gave her age as thirty and a half and Michael didn't even think twice about it.

Today's episode: "Prison Break-In"

L95x3DT.png

Synopsis - Michael is worried when he learns that Lucille is dating the warden behind his father's back; Buster's new turtle gets into "Uncle-Father" Oscar's stash; the family plans a benefit for Tobias' life-endangering hair transplant.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Don't care for this episode. I think it is the starting point for the drop in quality found in Season 3. It retreads plot lines, jokes in an unfunny way and gets too outlandish at the end. Also, unlike when George Michael was running for student body president, Gob's video wasn't using any sort of angle for success, it was bound for failure.

This and when
Gob, Michael and Buster go to Iraq
are my least favorite episodes.

George Michael Bluth: Because anything can happen when two people share a cell, 'cuz.
George Michael Bluth: ..........It's a line from the Warden's screenplay.
Mae 'Maebe' Funke: What? Oh, OH! I don't know what I was worried about.
Narrator: And that would be the happiest moment George-Michael would ever experience in his entire life.​

LOL

Oh Come on...don't leave your Uncle T-bag hanging!

Iceman

Don't care for this episode. I think it is the starting point for the drop in quality found in Season 3. It retreads plot lines, jokes in an unfunny way and gets too outlandish at the end. Also, unlike when George Michael was running for student body president, Gob's video wasn't using any sort of angle for success, it was bound for failure.

I agree with you here. Especially about the video. Good call.

This and when
Gob, Michael and Buster go to Iraq
are my least favorite episodes.

This I don't agree on though. There are some lame jokes that fall flat but overall, I liked
meeting the houseful of Saddams, IMNOSCAR.com, Gob's imprisonment and the military's attempt to let him escape.
There are some good call backs in that episode.

Oozer3993

I watched this episode last night and caught something I had never seen before. About halfway through the episode, GOB and Michael attempt to get into the prison via George Sr.'s jet pack. But GOB forgets to buckle the strap and it flies off to parts unknown. Except when GOB is facing a phobia he'd faced before:

zodS5na.jpg

Iceman

Today's episode: "Making a Stand"

admakingastandbxu2l.jpg

Don't worry, these ladies haven't been anywhere near the bananas.

Synopsis - After yet another instance of George Sr. pitting Michael and Gob against each other, Michael decides to teach his father a lesson.

Quiero leche, leche de madre. Even though I'm so old.

So this episode provided me with even more evidence of something I've only just recently suspected: Mitch planned on cutting off George Sr.'s right ankle. In the second episode, they opened by having George show his right leg - quite awkwardly - as he stood and spoke to Michael in the porch of the cabin. The next few episodes had random comments suggesting the loss of a leg.

In this episode (Making a Stand), (1) Michael suggests that the Colombian kidnappers might just leave the ankle and take the rest of him; (2) when they show J. Walter Weatherman in his prosthetics shop, they show a prosthetic ankle right in the middle of a case, directly behind the one-armed man. I'll track down the other quotes from season 3. But there must be at least a half-dozen references to George Sr. losing his foot/ankle.

I wonder if this plotline was cast aside as season 3 developed into a final season, or if he (Mitch) still intends/ed on using it in the future. Will it find its way into season 4? Or will Lucille, now the one burdened with the ankle monitor, be the more likely victim?

I like Bob's Loblaw Law Blog but GOB is fantastic in this episode: I've got this Christian girlfriend now, and she's trying to get me to be a better man and reconnect with my son, and I'm trying to get her to renounce god and **** me and I just want to ... prove to her that I'm worth it. And here's another great Lucille moment:
dNWZIfu.gif

Today's episode: "S.O.B.s"

S29le7B.png

Synopsis - The Bluths try to save themselves with a party featuring Andy Richter, whose quintuplet brother teaches George Michael; G.O.B. accidentally lands a job.

Fuck these last episodes are really hitting home when its less than a week we get a new Arrested Development season.

Michael: Hello. Hey, so what’s going on with the fund-raiser?

George, Sr.:
Well, I don’t think the Home Builders Organization is going to be supporting us.

Michael:
Yeah, the HBO’s not going to want us. What do we do now?

George, Sr.:
Well, I think it’s show time. I think we have to have a show during dinner.​

TUSR

Banned
Fuck these last episodes are really hitting home when its less than a week we get a new Arrested Development season.

Michael: Hello. Hey, so what’s going on with the fund-raiser?

George, Sr.:
Well, I don’t think the Home Builders Organization is going to be supporting us.

Michael:
Yeah, the HBO’s not going to want us. What do we do now?

George, Sr.:
Well, I think it’s show time. I think we have to have a show during dinner.​

just watch the last day on set video and a bunch of interviews about how the end of season 3 was hitting the cast of the show.

Really makes the reunion and comeback so special.

This may be my favorite episode of Season 3. I love how it makes fun of every ratings-boosting gimmick (3D, Oscar winner, filmed live) and how it acknowledges all the drama behind-the-scenes. “Bob Loblaw Lobs Law Bomb!”
Lindsay: Yeah, check it out. I found that canned ham that we'd had forever, and I put it in a pot of boiling water, and guess what I'm calling it?
Michael: Soup?
Lindsay: Hot ham water.

George Michael: OCD? No, I'm just cleaning up after Aunt Lindsay. She never turns things off.
Michael: Well ... guess that explains why I saw the hedge trimmer zipping around the drive-way. I did it again, didn't I? I'm so self-centered. From now on, I want you to just tell me what's on your mind, ok? And I promise I won't just hear what I want to hear.
George Michael: I love my cousin.
Michael: Love you, too, pal.

While the show was airing, this almost made me cry:
Michael: It's just hard to accept that it's really come to begging.
George: Sometimes, it's the only way to stay in the game.
Narrator: Please tell your friends about this show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom