• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the awesomeness of Tetrisphere

amazingly fun game, still play it once in awhile to this day. wish i could find the soundtrack somewhere, though, it had more than a few memorable songs.

Own it, play it, love it. That coupled with The New Tetris made the N64 the best system for puzzle games ever in my eyes. I can't even imagine how many hours of both games were played in college.

Now where the hell is Racing Gears Advance so I can get my Neil D. Voss fix! Crazymoogle, I'm lookin' at you... :)

Meier

I used to play it (maybe under a different name), a regular Tetris and some Tetris-style game with world leader's heads on it in front of landmarks back in the day by way of some 3-for-1 pack for PC.

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
That game was awesome it really was one of the best puzzle games i've ever played. And the music was really good for a 64 game.

sasimirobot

Good game. Anyone remember when it was exposed that "Tetrisphere" was really a "TetrisDonut"? The abstract way the sphere rotates and the way pieces act on it is tecnically impossible.

Here is an interesting quote I found with google:

No it's not a donut. It's a flat surface... Think of it as a programmer. What would be easier? programming a donut with tons of polygons or a simple square and give it a fish-eye view? Imagine a square of blocks with 4 layers, imagine that when you get at one end of the square, it continues on the other side without showing that it returns on the other side, giving the impression that it's round. It's all made to simulate a sphere. And knowing a bit of programming, believe me, it's way easier to do it this way.

Anyways. Good game. Anyone here remember "Wetrix"?

Ecrofirt

I was never able to find myself a copy of Wetrix. I remember one of the guys on IGN, I think it was, always used to rant about that.

Wasn't Wetrix released as something else on a later system... had some game like Aqua Aqua something....

Anyways, Tetrisphere was the only puzzler that was inspired by the original that didn't completely suck in my eyes. Gotta track a copy down...

Did it do well when it was released?

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Tetrisphere is an astounding game for sure, but...

metsallica said:
Now where the hell is Racing Gears Advance so I can get my Neil D. Voss fix! Crazymoogle, I'm lookin' at you... :)

What?!

LakeEarth

sasimirobot said:
No it's not a donut. It's a flat surface... Think of it as a programmer. What would be easier? programming a donut with tons of polygons or a simple square and give it a fish-eye view? Imagine a square of blocks with 4 layers, imagine that when you get at one end of the square, it continues on the other side without showing that it returns on the other side, giving the impression that it's round. It's all made to simulate a sphere. And knowing a bit of programming, believe me, it's way easier to do it this way.

Cool, I like hearing how companies figure ways to do seemingly complex things like that easier. Kinda like normal mapping.

Oh and I think Tetrisphere sold well. It was released less than a year after the N64 released, back in the day where there was like 1 new N64 game a month. Every good or shit game was selling well those days.

FortNinety said:
Wasn't Wetrix released as something else on a later system... had some game like Aqua Aqua something....

Anyways, Tetrisphere was the only puzzler that was inspired by the original that didn't completely suck in my eyes. Gotta track a copy down...

Did it do well when it was released?

AquaAqua is the sequel to Wetrix. As for Tetrisphere, as of December 31, 1997 it was over 335,000 in North America alone. Not bad at all.

BreakyBoy said:
Tetrisphere is an astounding game for sure, but...

What?!

I'm not sure what you're confused about here, but CM works for Orbital and Neil did the soundtrack to Racing Gears for the GBA. Unless you ARE Neil or something crazy like that...

EDIT: Wait, that username looks so familiar... are you from PGC?

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
metsallica said:
I'm not sure what you're confused about here, but CM works for Orbital and Neil did the soundtrack to Racing Gears for the GBA. Unless you ARE Neil or something crazy like that...

That's exactly it. I didn't know that Racing Gears Advance had music by Neil Voss. I'll have to look for it.

metsallica said:
EDIT: Wait, that username looks so familiar... are you from PGC?

First person to get it that didn't know me. Yes, I wrote for PGC for about a year. Technically, I was on staff for about two, but I was largely AWOL that last year unfortunately.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
GaimeGuy said:
And he still owns in FFFXeopardy. :p
Hah! That was my one and only time at that game, and I showed up early in the second round. :p

I'll win next time.

In any case, this is horribly off-topic. More tetrisphere love please.

Top Bottom