• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best DVD+R brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturnman

Banned
I can only find Memorex, Maxell and Pine stuff in stores in my area. I don't trust any of those. Certainly not Memorex and the Maxells that I bought sometimes have subtle cracks when you look closely.

Good God, I hope there's something better available out there. It would be worth ordering online if I could be assured that my back-ups will survive for years to come.

goodcow

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

1ST CLASS MEDIA
Almost flawless burns with 95-100% reliable results:
PVC = Pioneer = (-R)(-RW)
MXLRG01, MXLRG02 = Maxell = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
MCC = Mitsubishi Chemicals = (-R)
TDKG02, TTG01 = TDK Corp = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
TAIYOYUDEN, YUDEN, TYG01, TYG02 = Taiyo Yuden = (-R)(+R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes

2ND CLASS MEDIA
Decent discs, though not perfect, about 85-95% success rate:
PRODISCS03 = Prodisc Media = (-R)
RICOHJPN = Ritek or Ricoh = (+R)(+RW)
INFODISC = Infodisc Media = (+RW)
SONYD04 = Sony = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
RITEKG04 = Ritek = (-R)
RITEKG03 = Ritek = (-R)
OPTODISC = Optodisc = (-R)
MCC = Mitsubishi Chemicals = (+RW)

3RD CLASS MEDIA
Quality can be very questionable, about 50-80% success rate:
LEADDATA or LD01 or LD or LEDA = Lead Data = (-R)(-RW)
RITEKW = Ritek = (-RW)
PRINCO, unbranded TDK = Princo = (-R)(-RW)
ONIDTECH = Unknown OEM = (-R)

4TH CLASS MEDIA
Pathetic garbage media, landfill material, about 0-50% success rate:
RITEKG01, RITEKG02 = Ritek = (-R)
PIODATA = Lead Data = (-R) ... often sold as "Pioneer OEM" but that's false
Unbranded PIO = Fake Pioneer = (-R) ... often sold as "Pioneer OEM" but that's false
Unbranded SONY = Fake Sony = (-R)
Unbranded MXL = Fake MXL = (-R)
AN31, AN32, ANWELL, AN30 = Unknown OEM = (-R)
LONGTEN = Unknown OEM = (-R)
OPTODISC = Optodisc = (+R)(+RW)
MATRIX = Unknown OEM = (-R)
CMC = CMC Magnetics = (+R)(-R)

ANYTHING ELSE = Unknown OEM or NEW

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I use Optimum brand because they're pretty cheap at B&M. Never had a problem w/ them.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I don't see it on the list, but I bought a 50 pack of Fuji-film DVD+Rs when I bought my DVD burner. I've gone through about 40 of them and they have all burned flawlessly.

Saturnman

Banned
I'm not worried about flawless burns, I want those discs to last.

I used to get flawless burns with my Memorex CD-Rs, until they started acting funny a few months later.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Saturnman said:
I'm not worried about flawless burns, I want those discs to last.

I used to get flawless burns with my Memorex CD-Rs, until they started acting funny a few months later.

Then I say get the Fuji film ones. I still use ones that I burned over a year ago regularly and they work just fine. I think you can get a 25 pack at Best Buy for like $20 now.

lordmrw

I bought a 15-pak of TDK DVD -Rs, but my burner says its in an unrecognizable format or something. ANything I can do, or am I pretty much screwed? THey were a little cheap considering, so it isn't a complete loss.

SKluck

Banned
I find verbatim and TDK are pretty solid no matter what kind of optical media it is you buy. I have heard good things about Ritek, mostly from a price standpoint.

I've been using imation and khypermedia because I get good deals on it from work. Never had a problem. I can doublespeed burn the khypermedias too. So I buy cheap 2x discs and burn at 4x.

Deg

Banned
Looks like -R have a better selection of quality disks :p

lordmrw said:
I bought a 15-pak of TDK DVD -Rs, but my burner says its in an unrecognizable format or something. ANything I can do, or am I pretty much screwed? THey were a little cheap considering, so it isn't a complete loss.

You might have to upgrade firmware.

Diablos

Ritek. Hell, I can burn their 4x DVD+R media at 6x and there are still no read errors. Only at 8x will I run into problems. That's quality media.

Diablos

RITEK!

They're extremely reliable - I have not burnt one coaster yet (over 30+ used so far), with the exception of one I tried to burn at 8x using hacked firmware that ignores restrictions burners put on slower media. In other words, it was 100% my fault. :D

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-325&depa=0
$28, free shipping. I'm sorry, you can't beat that.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-301&depa=0
$38 for 8x media... again, free shipping.

I've been using Fuji media since I bought my first CD-RW drive like 5 years ago. I have never once had a problem with both their CD-R's and DVD-R's.

Diablos said:
RITEK!

They're extremely reliable - I have not burnt one coaster yet (over 30+ used so far), with the exception of one I tried to burn at 8x using hacked firmware that ignores restrictions burners put on slower media. In other words, it was 100% my fault. :D

I can burn Ritek 4x media at 8x without any read errors. ^_^

Not a single coster yet and I only have about 12 disks left from a 50 pack.

Pimpwerx

Look around online. Ritek is the way to go. TDK might be good too, but I think bang for buck, Ritek will be your best bet. To be honest with you though, I bought a 100 spool of cheapo Sonic DVD+Rs for like $40, and haven't burnt a single coaster. Of course, they are 4x and my burner is only running at 2.4x for whatever reason (still have to call Dell). But of the 20-odd disks I've burned so far, only one has had any read errors at all, and I think that might have been my fault. PEACE.

FnordChan

elephant-dvd.jpg

FnordChan

dream

FWIW, a lot of people have been bitching over the past few months about the plumetting quality of Ritek G04s.

For important stuff I tend to use Maxell. Maxell's DVD-Rs are self-manufactured (and some of them are actually Taiyo Yudens) and their DVD+Rs are made by Ricoh -- all quality brands with great manufacturing processes.

aoi tsuki

How's Sony for longevity? i need to get some files moved immediately, so i just picked up a 4x DVD-R spindle at Staples. i'm not too concerned about longevity as i can reburn these later, but it would be nice to know they won't be coasters in a year.

aoi tsuki said:
How's Sony for longevity? i need to get some files moved immediately, so i just picked up a 4x DVD-R spindle at Staples. i'm not too concerned about longevity as i can reburn these later, but it would be nice to know they won't be coasters in a year.

Sony's have always been pretty shitty if you ask me. Stick with Ritek or Tdk and i think you'll be fine.

Diablos

The Shadow said:
I can burn Ritek 4x media at 8x without any read errors. ^_^

Not a single coster yet and I only have about 12 disks left from a 50 pack.
Are we talking DVD data or DVD video? I too have no problems with data...

MASB

Aren't Mitsui discs supposed to be pretty high quality? Of course you pay for it, like $1-2 a disc (or maybe I'm thinking of CD-Rs at those prices).

Ive always been a fan of Imation when it comes to DvdRs and CDrs....

they have always worked well for me....

dont know why I dont see it on that list tho.

peace

aoi tsuki

Can anyone recommend a good freeware to verify burnt discs? i've burned a few discs with DeepBurner, but it doesn't have any verification tools like Nero does, and i can't find my Nero disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom