• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best FROM Software Soulsborne game (With Poll)

The best FROM Software Soulsborne game

• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 135 44.3%
  • Demon's Souls

Votes: 40 13.1%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 69 22.6%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 23 7.5%

• Total voters

mcjmetroid

Right I'm fairly sure this type of thread has been done before but now with Sekiro being released and having it been out long enough for it to sink in. Has your previous opinion changed?

Personally I find it difficult to compare Sekiro to the other games but it is the one I enjoyed the most because it focused far more on pure gameplay and it's fantastic fun to get around the world.

I haven't played all the Souls games yet but the order in which I played them so far is

First: Bloodborne
Second: Sekiro (Still on the final boss)
Third: Dark Souls remastered (Switch edition)

I'm hoping to get to the rest eventually.

I'm very interested if you guys think Dark Souls II is worth playing or should I jump right into 3? Heard mixed things

Last edited:
I hate them all lol. I would like bloodborne if it didn't hurt my eyes to look at it.

If bluepoint is really making a demons souls remake at 60fps I might try it.

mcjmetroid

I hate them all lol. I would like bloodborne if it didn't hurt my eyes to look at it.

If bluepoint is really making a demons souls remake at 60fps I might try it.
They're certainly not for everyone that's for sure. A point of contention I have with them sometimes is how far some of the nearest save points are away from bosses etc.

Sekiro does a way better job this than the rest if the games.

They're certainly not for everyone that's for sure. A point of contention I have with them sometimes is how far some of the nearest save points are away from bosses etc.

In general I hate how slow they are, as well as downright unresponsive at times.

Bloodborne is quite a bit faster but still is too slow for me. I would play it though if it weren't for the chromatic distortion. Sekiro looks decently fast.

I love nioh though, much faster and consistent performance, which is a souls type game.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Bloodborne.

This game hits me hard with basically everything: soundtrack, art design and level design.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sekiro is less about dangerous and filled with trap environments like Bloodborne and Soul series. Even in poison swamp in Sekiro is waaay less dangerous compare to Bloodborne. To me Sekiro is all about mastering the combat to beat the bosses while both Bloodborne and Souls games is more about risking Souls you got to getting through those dangerous environments.

BurstZyn

Not trying to sound like a dick or anything, but why is Sekiro part of the list? Yea it has some familiar mechanics along with other previous FROM game, but I don't see it as part of SoulsBorne. To me it's a spiritual successor to Tenchu, an older FROM Stealth action game that Sekiro plays super similarly to.

TacosNSalsa

With the exception of 2 I can't really choose.. I look back at all of them fondly . Honestly , I even remember having fun 2 with at the time. I'd say probably III because I had a ton of fun helping my friends through it and I remember standing in front of boss doors and dropping my sign and just co-oping boss after boss for hours ..

GermanZepp

I might vote later, I just read the rumor that fromsoftware is going to reveal his new game in E3 and it's going to be huge, and multiplat, and is going to divide the studio fanbase. I'm thrilled.

McHuj

I think Bloodborne for me due to the setting and monster design. Dark Souls 1 had the best level design.

I've been playing Sekiro now and while it's great, I miss a lot of the RPG elements that were stripped out and the capability for different weapons.

My biggest complaint with Bloodborne and Sekiro is farming consumables (blood vials and spirit emblems) I think that add a tedious layer to the game.

Nymphae

Banned
Bloodborne because the action was more fun to me than the Demons games, and because I found the Lovecraftian plot far more interesting.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
The combat of Bloodborne is so satisfying, but I feel too much of the RPG elements were lost. Sekiro is worse and feels more like a pure action game.

My favorite is either Demon's of Dark 1. But I love all six of these games.

ethomaz

Banned
Demon’s Souls and Bloodborne are tied in first place.

So I voted Demon’s Souls just because it is older... the others games lack individuality.

Danjin44

The combat of Bloodborne is so satisfying, but I feel too much of the RPG elements were lost. Sekiro is worse and feels more like a pure action game.
Thats because it is an action game, the game never advertise itself to be RPG. other people just assumed that because they thought this will just like any other Souls games. I personally LOOOVED!! It had the most satisfying sword combat I ever experienced and honest best final boss fights as well.

Codes 208

I bought a PS4 specifically to play bloodborne. I had no regrets. The environment, setting and combat is top notch and the bosses are amongst the best of the franchise.

Dark Souls 1 however is a close second. The combat isn’t as tight or fluid as BB or even DS3 but it’s setting is equally memorable to me. And the bosses are easily the most memorable to me. But it has two things that bloodborne doesn’t have that dock some points from me: Blight town and Bed of Chaos.

From my perspective:
BB > DS > DS3 > Sek > DS2 (I never owned a ps3 so I never had a chance to properly play through Demon Souls aside from playing at friends’.)

Last edited:

TitusTroy

I voted for Dark Souls 1 over Bloodborne only because of the replay value...no pvp or multiplayer weakens Bloodborne...

Codes 208

I voted for Dark Souls 1 over Bloodborne only because of the replay value...no pvp or multiplayer weakens Bloodborne...
Bloodborne does have multiplayer though. With insight, resonant bell to invade and beckoning bell for co-op; the MP is pretty much the same system as DS.

Last edited:
DS. But it is close for me between it and BB. If the Artorias DLC wasn’t so memorable, I’d give it to BB based on vanilla content.

BB is objectively more sound in many facets, but there are parts where the creativity flounders, particularly with certain boss designs (this is also true of DS). But you only get so many occasions to do something for the first time, and lore-centric and environmental-autopsy storytelling has never been as good IMO.

Fbh

Bloodborne is the best and most consistent one IMO

DeS has my least favourite combat and I miss the interconnected world of every other game
DS1 is often amazing but has a notorious drop in quality in the latter half
DS2 is overall the least consistent in it's quality (from bosses to level design).
DS3 is great but lacks new ideas, most of the game has a strong "been there done that" feeling.

And Sekiro is honestly different enough that I find it hard to compare to the others.

I'm curious how many people have won these games without co-op. While playing Bloodborne, I got stuck on three different bosses (Logarius, Ludwig, Orphan of Kos) and looking up how to do it online, the most common suggestion was to get another player to jump in and do it for you. Seems to be a pretty common way for people to get through these games, but I've always felt like it was cheating myself out of gitting gud.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm curious how many people have won these games without co-op. While playing Bloodborne, I got stuck on three different bosses (Logarius, Ludwig, Orphan of Kos) and looking up how to do it online, the most common suggestion was to get another player to jump in and do it for you. Seems to be a pretty common way for people to get through these games, but I've always felt like it was cheating myself out of gitting gud.

In Bloodborne, certain rescued NPC Hunters, etc., if unable to solo.

They make for a good distraction and meat shields.

Danjin44

In my opinion Bloodborne/Souls bosses are not made to fight multiple players unlike Monster Hunter series. Even you summon AI in Bloodborne the bosses become piss easy because they are mostly concerting on that second player or AI. This even true with Sekiro with Drunkard when you bring samurai to help you, it just breaks the boss and honestly suck the fun out of the fight.

with multiple, multiple tries I mange to beat Orphan of Kos and Laurence, The First Vicar solo in NG+ and it was fun and satisfying.

Last edited:

decisions

Dark Souls 1 is a masterpiece. Bloodborne is pretty close, but just doesn't reach the same heights.

There's nothing quite like the first Dark Souls - it's one of those lighting in a bottle moments where all the components of the game come together to form a cohesive, congruent experience. In retrospect, it's clear the QOL changes they made in later games only served to hinder the overall experience. The amazing level design, being able to level at every bonfire as opposed to fast travel at a hub, and integrity of its world serve to form the feeling of being on a lonely, isolated, beautiful adventure like no other game has ever done.

Though, I think the studio's more recent efforts have still been good, so here's hoping they will be able to reach similar heights again in the future.

Last edited:

Ivellios

On Bloodborne some of the hardest bosses i did call someone to help, and honestly i really liked this option on the game. Fighting a hard boss coop is really fun imo.

Since Sekiro did not have this option, i just did my best to learn the game mechanics and i managed to finish it alone.

Butch slap?
Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
iPad auto correct. For some reason, it always thinks I mean something else when I curse. It’s melon farming annoying. If I ever get my hams on the icehole who monogrammed this peace of shirt auto correct, I’m going to stove an Apple iPad™ up his electoral gravity.

nkarafo

Graphically, i'd say DS3 is the best looking, sans the enemy models and bosses that look better in Bloodborne.

Sekiro has probably the most satisfying combat but it was kinda underwhelming in terms of looks compared to the other two. Though, it did have a few great looking areas with very rich foliage.

DS1 still has the best level design IMO.

nkarafo

I'm very interested if you guys think Dark Souls I is worth playing or should I jump right into 3? Heard mixed things
Both are great but i prefer DS3 just for the graphics/art alone. Some areas look like goddamned paintings. It also has the most variety in terms of visual themes. Bloodborne is 90% the same theme, just like Sekiro where i got bored after the 100th pagoda. DS3 has tons of different themes areas.

Last edited:

Codes 208

iPad auto correct. For some reason, it always thinks I mean something else when I curse. It’s melon farming annoying. If I ever get my hams on the icehole who monogrammed this peace of shirt auto correct, I’m going to stove an Apple iPad™ up his electoral gravity.
Lol I know exactly how you feel. My damn iPhone will auto-correct a word like duck but god forbid it actually fixes a word like legitmate

Verdanth

Went with Sekiro, because feudal japan is my jam. That and the game, despite being hard, is extremely satisfying.

But I liked bloodbourne a lot too.

cireza

Great pick. I personally prefer the first one, but both are by far my favorite From Software games.

I did enjoy the Souls games, but after all these games, it does not have a lasting appeal to me. I really feel like I am done with them. However, I still love Otogi as much as the first time I played it, and still replay it every once in a while. Timeless game.

Last edited:

Orpheum

To be honest for me it's a tie between Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1 and Sekiro. However Sekiro takes the cake by a margin. The combat, world, level design, story and bosses are amazing. I never thought it would turn out this good.

Bloodborne is still a killer game though. One of the best of the generation in my opinion

GenericUser

Out of all I played (DeS, DS1, DS3, BB and Sekiro), I liked Dark Souls 3 the most. DS3 looks better then DeS, DS1 and 2 and I prefer the medieval setting over bloodborne or sekiros world.

Codes 208

Out of all I played (DeS, DS1, DS3, BB and Sekiro), I liked Dark Souls 3 the most. DS3 looks better then DeS, DS1 and 2 and I prefer the medieval setting over bloodborne or sekiros world.
DS3, though not my favorite, is still a good game. I personally really enjoyed the DLC and is probably the game I’ve replayed the most. (Mainly due to familiarity) as it’s the first dark souls I’ve successfully played from start to finish. I didn’t beat 1 and 2 and BB until after I beat DS3 a couple times.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Bloodborne
Dark souls 1
Demon souls
Dark souls 2
Dark souls 3
Sekiro

All great games. I don't really like the weapon arts in 3 and sekiro is a rhythm game in an action games skin.

Top Bottom