• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best FROM Software Soulsborne game (With Poll)

The best FROM Software Soulsborne game

• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 135 44.3%
  • Demon's Souls

Votes: 40 13.1%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 69 22.6%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 23 7.5%

• Total voters

mcjmetroid

So I started Dark Souls III. Liking it so far. Seems to be closer to the first in level design but it's got that Bloodborne look.

It's quite hard but seems to be more focused on the gameplay side of difficulty if you get me.

I enjoyed Dark Souls 2 but I became way too overleveled by the end and blitzed through it.

I would put Dark Souls 2 as the weakest souls game so far though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So I started Dark Souls III. Liking it so far. Seems to be closer to the first in level design but it's got that Bloodborne look.

It's quite hard but seems to be more focused on the gameplay side of difficulty if you get me.

I enjoyed Dark Souls 2 but I became way too overleveled by the end and blitzed through it.

I would put Dark Souls 2 as the weakest souls game so far though.
Dark Souls 3 was a masterpiece and I really liked the level design. When I started it, I was expecting it to be decent but unexceptional. I was dead wrong, it had amazing boss fights and level design and once I finished the game I felt it was every bit as deserving of it's title. The only knock is that the game gets is that it's very tough for player who prefer to play as mages.

However, there is a mod for DS3 called Cinders and based on what I've seen, it makes the game drastically better for mages.

Link here:

FightinCowboy did a playthrough and it was one of the most enjoyable things to watch.

My next playthrough of Dark Souls 3 will be using the Cinders mod.

Trogdor1123

What an incredible list of games they have made... Wish they did another kings field

Emulation question:. Is there a good emulator for a kings field game on PS2 or PS1 that enhances the game, either resolution or fps? It would need to be very user friendly as I never use emulators and know nothing about tuning then.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Bloodborne is definitely game of the generation. One of the top 5 games of all time for me personally. I've got the plat on it, and just seeing this thread makes me want to boot it back up for another run.

Witcher 3 and BOTW are my respective second and third places.

EDIT: Also, FROM is the developer of the gen for me too. These guys changed gaming for me.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Dark Souls 1
Dark Souls 3
Bloodborne
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls 2

I really don't consider Sekiro a Soulsborne game. It's just a lil bit too different. Single player only, no death from falling or fall damage, no invasions, covenants. No real armor or weapon customization. The game is more akin to Tenchu than any souls game.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The winner is the PlayStation exclusive Bloodborne
Its really not the best in the genre and any true souls fan should know this. I don't feel like digging back into my post history to re-explain why this is...soooo here we go again.

Bloodborne had several issues
- My biggest pet peeve was the bell maiden. Being able to outright prevent invasions took a lot of the danger out of the game for me. I didn't like having the choice.
- Customization of gear was dumbed down to the point where it really seemed inconsequential what gear you went with.
- Weapon modes in stead of more weapons. Weapons largely uninteresting except for a select few.
- Completely neutered magic system.
- Chalice Dungeons...don't get me started on this tacked-on feature. What's worse is that they locked weapon variation in this bore-fest. Unnecessarily complicated dungeon codes and teaming up with a buddy in them was often a futile practice. Absolutely hated them.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the movement, I liked the setting. The story was damn cool and gun-parrying was very satisfying. Bloodborne also had the best bosses of all the souls games, even Sekiro (if you wanna count Sekiro as a Soulsborne game). DLC was great as well, but Dark Souls 3 finally had an easily accessible arena mode and I'd argue Dark souls 1 had the best DLC of all the games.

I have had more fun with a Dark Souls mod (Enemy and item randomizer) than I did with every other game in the series (except DS2) put together.

replicant-

I love BB, but the poll is incorrect. Demon's Souls is the best Souls game. 38 people were correct. The rest of you were wrong ;)

I wonder if it is skewed due to it only being available on PS3 which may impact the numbers who have played it.

Gp1

Dark Souls 1 is the Symphony of Night of the last decade.

Plain and simple

Last edited:
Top Bottom