• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best FROM Software Soulsborne game (With Poll)

The best FROM Software Soulsborne game

• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 135 44.3%
  • Demon's Souls

Votes: 40 13.1%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 69 22.6%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 23 7.5%

• Total voters

DavidGzz

1, Demons, 3, 2, BB, and Sekiro in that order. The ones with less variety in builds suffer for me. 2 has the most and the best PVP but the game doesn't feel as good, and the graphics style is offputting.

sublimit

Banned
1)Demon's Souls-Bloodborne (i really can't choose which one i love the most)
2)Dark Souls
3)Dark Souls 2
4)Dark Souls 3
There are many things DS3 did better than DS2 and some that DS2 did better than DS3 but all in all DS2 feels more like its own thing,and a unique experience which i have come to really appreciate over the years even if at first i was disappointed (as a Souls game) by it.
They are all 9/10,10/10 games though.

I haven't played Sekiro yet.

Sorne

I will never forget my first time in Lordran. Dark Souls is the game which got me hooked, and nothing beats that. I still really enjoyed all the other games as well and DS might not have aged that well when comparing it to the newer ones (BB, DS3, Sekiro), but still.. nothing compares to that first souls experience. Sekiro almost had the same kind of feel because it changed up so many aspects, but it was lacking in some too when compared to DS.

EDIT: Anyways, here's my list in order:
1: Dark Souls
2: Sekiro
3: Bloodborne
4: Dark Souls 3
5: Dark Souls 2
6: Demon Souls

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Both are great but i prefer DS3 just for the graphics/art alone. Some areas look like goddamned paintings. It also has the most variety in terms of visual themes. Bloodborne is 90% the same theme, just like Sekiro where i got bored after the 100th pagoda. DS3 has tons of different themes areas.

I actually meant to type dark souls II in that I'm currently going through ark souls 1. I'm loving it despite moments of insane frustrations.

I love a hard game but it tests me with its save points sometimes and it's obtuseness (particularly in getting into the painting world in it)

Would you think Dark Souls II is worth playing after 1? Or should I jump straight into 3?

Larxia

I never played Bloodborne so I can't talk about it, but for me my favorite is Dark Souls 1, and more specifically the first half of Dark Souls 1 (up to when you meet gwynevere after Anor Londo).
I loved the level design of this first half, it was fantastifc, so immersive, it was truly something special that I didn't find again in DS 2 and 3, because being able to teleport right from the beginning in my opinion totally ruined it, it's not as immersive.

In Dark Souls 1, you really felt like you were going through an adventure, having to go through terrible areas and survive them and stuff, like when you were in blighttown, you had to continue, you had to go on, if otherwise you would have to go all the way back to the surface, while in dark souls 2 and 3, you would just teleport back to a safer area, lvl up / get new stuff, and go back to blighttown fully equiped.
It really wasn't the same at all, Dark Souls 1 really felt like surviving and living an adventure, while 2 and 3 feel more like just action games, with a way less deep level design.

I still enjoyed Dark Souls 2 for its gameplay, the possibilities you could do in it were crazy, and the PVP was the best in the series.
However I really disliked dark souls 3, the level design was really poor with teleports to take you to the next area and such, it didn't feel immersive, and the gameplay was really unbalanced in my opinion, they tried to make it closer to bloodborne, but bloodborne is a game without shield, based on dodges and speed instead, while Dark Souls isn't the same, so you were super fast, even with a very heavy armor you were faster than a heavy character in dark souls 1, it looked ridiculous and gave the game some kind of floaty feeling. The Pvp was also really bad because, as someone who like to play dex builds, having a dex build in Dark Souls 3 was useless, because as I said just above, some one with a really heavy armor and weapon would still be really fast, so you weren't that advantage to have a light build.

About Demon's souls... I don't know, it feels more like a beta of Dark Souls.

Trogdor1123

Demon souls is number 1 by far for me. It was first and an incredible experience. God I hope it gets remastered.... How did the dark souls remaster do?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Voted Sekiro. I really do think everything they do gets better and better. Had the most fun fighting & exploring with the most recent entry.

odhin

It warms my heart that bloodborne is first with a noticeable margin.
Well done my fellow hunters. What an amazing game that is.

LordOfChaos

*smiles approvingly at results*

There's just something about Bloodborne, just had to go deeper, learn more, couldn't get it out of my system unlike other games in...Probably a very long time.

hunthunt

Banned
Bloodborne is the only correct answer. Gameplay wise its a draw with Sekiro but the lore and atmosphere of Bloodborne is probably the greatest of all time.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
BB. It's almost perfect.

I'd say Dark Souls but the last few sections of that game feel completely unfinished.

johntown

Banned
This was a tough choice but I had to go with Demon's Souls. The game that started it all, was way ahead of its time and brought new gameplay elements that were fantastic (invasions). The amount of innovation in this game is staggering. Did it have issue sure but IMO this is the clear winner.

Bloodborne is a very close second and if Bloodborne had a better (working) multiplayer system I would have put it ahead of Demon's Souls but due to that issue it has to be second IMO.

johntown

Banned
You can play demon souls on pc at 60 fps
You can with RPCS3 and a patch but at least from my experience it speeds up the whole game (movement and everything). It feels like your playing the game in fast forward. Maybe there is another option to get 60fps that does not speed up the rest of the game but personally I would recommend keeping it at 30fps and improve the rest of the game with post processing options.

RedVIper

Banned
You can with RPCS3 and a patch but at least from my experience it speeds up the whole game (movement and everything). It feels like your playing the game in fast forward. Maybe there is another option to get 60fps that does not speed up the rest of the game but personally I would recommend keeping it at 30fps and improve the rest of the game with post processing options.

Yeah you're right their engine had trouble with 60fps up until ds2.

Anyway you can play demon souls at consistent 30fps (Which i think is good enough the game is slower than the more recent ones) and at 4k, it looks surprisingly decent.

Pejo

Gold Member
I feel that Bloodborne has one of the better campaigns, but the build variety takes a hit since they want you use melee weapons for most of the game. I wish they had more magic in the game, and a ranged build wasn't so limited to 1-2 guns.

Overall, the first is probably my favorite, since it started everything. I also think it had really cool lore building, and the bosses are still some of the most memorable. Also, for all the shit it gets, I feel like world tendency was one of the best death punishing mechanics in the series. I like that it had so many variables that were difficult to figure out. I also felt that this game (and DS3 to some extent) had the most balanced version of backstab. Demon's Souls all the way.

nkarafo

Would you think Dark Souls II is worth playing after 1? Or should I jump straight into 3?
I am not a huge fan of DS2 to be honest. It has the worst level design of the bunch and it doesn't feel right IMO. Which makes sense considering the main team was making Bloodborne at the time and DS2 was made by others. If you ask me i'd say go straight to DS3.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
1. Bloodborne
2. Dark Souls 2: SotFS
3. Demon's Souls
4. Dark Souls
5. Dark Souls 3

Bloodborne is supremely focused, and has the best atmosphere and lore in the series. Everything works, and combines together to make the tightest and most memorable campaign From have ever created. The chalice dungeons added longevity and were a welcome side-activity, and the incredibly creepy DLC expansion was a fine addition.

DS2 has an undeservedly low rep, mainly due to its troubled development resulting in an initial release with many problems, some folks never got over the lighting downgrade either. On PS4 the SotFS reissue fixes many of the issues and includes the strongest brace of DLC that FROM have ever mounted, and as a result is far and away the biggest and best package of any Dark Souls title.

DS2 is balanced a bit different from the others (it heavily favors heavy, wide-arc swing weapons) but the fact is every Souls game is biased towards a particular class of armament and build style for ease and optimal effect.

Demon's gets a strong 3rd spot because it basically got the ball rolling on this style of game, and its world and character tendency mechanics are clever and haven't really been improved upon since.

Dark Souls is close behind due to its strong world-design, but its hard to argue that the game doesn't taper off quality-wise near the end.

Dark Souls 3 gave a strong first impression, but the sense of fatigue is palpable and it feels way too much like a "greatest-hits" package. Its not a bad game by any means, but its such an anti-climax for the series, not helped by DLC's which although good, just feel bolted-on and tangential.

sublimit

Banned
This was a tough choice but I had to go with Demon's Souls. The game that started it all, was way ahead of its time and brought new gameplay elements that were fantastic (invasions). The amount of innovation in this game is staggering. Did it have issue sure but IMO this is the clear winner.

Bloodborne is a very close second and if Bloodborne had a better (working) multiplayer system I would have put it ahead of Demon's Souls but due to that issue it has to be second IMO.
Demon's also has the most unique,cohesive world (there are no areas that feel unfinished),best atmosphere and most interesting story and lore (along with Bloodborne).

SpiceRacz

Demon's also has the most unique,cohesive world (there are no areas that feel unfinished),best atmosphere and most interesting story and lore (along with Bloodborne).

Demons is definitely unqiue and has a lot of great qualities, but it's also aged the worst. I replayed it last year for the first time since release and it's definitely not as good as I remember. I still love it though.

BibiMaghoo

I've not played all the games on that list, but of the ones I have, I found Demons Souls to be the best balance of rewarding challenge against not wasting my time. I don't enjoy trial and error that punishes me severely for failure, when that failure is originally mandatory by design. Demons suffered from this the least due to allowing the player prep work for fights in the form of healing items, but it is still there. I've not touched Sekiro so no idea how that compares in this with the other games.

sublimit

Banned
Demons is definitely unqiue and has a lot of great qualities, but it's also aged the worst. I replayed it last year for the first time since release and it's definitely not as good as I remember. I still love it though.
I personally think that games who have great art directions like Demon's never "age" only our mindsets and perspectives of those games "age". I replayed it 2 years ago and i enjoyed it almost as much as the first time.It only took me a few minutes until i completely forgot i was playing a previous gen game and became immersed once again into its world. But i think it also helps that i play all my PS3 (and PS2/Wii) games on a small 29" HDTV. I also replayed some years ago all my PS3 Uncharted games (on that small tv) and they still looked great to me.

However i wouldn't say no to a remake like the one Bluepoint did for Shadow of the Colossus.That would have been amazing.

Last edited:
Dark Souls, to me, is the closest 10/10 out there.
Its level design, world design, enemy encounters, item placement, world / lore, characters and weapons (each feeling unique) are so incredible and remarkably well meshed together.

Though I miss Demon's Souls creativity with each new From Software more and more.

Matthewmatosis sums it up very nicely:

Demon's Souls creativity and courage + Sekiro world design would be :messenger_ok:.

Dislaimer: Dark Souls is the first Soulsborne I played

Last edited:

Altares13th

Bloodborne + Dark Souls 1 are perfect games
The other souls are not memorable for me (Haven't played Demon).
I played a bit of Sekiro, it's looks fine.

Last edited:
Easily Bloodborne. I really can't think of a single flaw this game has. Love pretty much everything about it - atmosphere, art design, L O R E, music, combat. That's why part of me don't want Bloodborne 2, FromSoft peaked too early, haha.

Last edited:

Daymos

I like bloodborne but it was a little too frantic awarding those who are aggressive and I've always been a bit of a defensive gamer. Thus I picked Dark Souls 1..

SpiceRacz

I personally think that games who have great art directions like Demon's never "age" only our mindsets and perspectives of those games "age". I replayed it 2 years ago and i enjoyed it almost as much as the first time.It only took me a few minutes until i completely forgot i was playing a previous gen game and became immersed once again into its world. But i think it also helps that i play all my PS3 (and PS2/Wii) games on a small 29" HDTV. I also replayed some years ago all my PS3 Uncharted games (on that small tv) and they still looked great to me.

However i wouldn't say no to a remake like the one Bluepoint did for Shadow of the Colossus.That would have been amazing.

Graphically, it looks fine. I was speaking more to the gameplay. Some of the enemy placement/encounters are just fucking awful. I'm not saying it's a bad game by any means. I fucking love it.

Also, I agree on Uncharted. All 3 of them still look fantastic on PS3.

sublimit

Banned
Graphically, it looks fine. I was speaking more to the gameplay. Some of the enemy placement/encounters are just fucking awful. I'm not saying it's a bad game by any means. I fucking love it.

Also, I agree on Uncharted. All 3 of them still look fantastic on PS3.
Now i'm curious of which ones you are referring to! :) Could you give me some examples? I realize there are some that may even feel unfair/frustrating
like the Giant Depraved Ones for example and especially the black phantom versions
when playing it for the first time but IMO they fit perfectly with the dread and bleak (almost horror-like) atmosphere of the game.

SpiceRacz

Now i'm curious of which ones you are referring to! :) Could you give me some examples? I realize there are some that may even feel unfair/frustrating
like the Giant Depraved Ones for example and especially the black phantom versions
when playing it for the first time but IMO they fit perfectly with the dread and bleak (almost horror-like) atmosphere of the game.

I'd have to go back through some of the areas, but Shrine of Storms in particular pissed me off. I played Demons, DS1, Bloodborne, DS2, DS3, then Demons again in that order, with a pretty large gap between the last time I played Demons. It was noticeably more frustrating for me than the rest of those games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom