• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best Manga Artists in your Opinion? (post Pictures!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bunch of good artist already chosen and the beast artist Takehiko Inoue, Yoshikawa Yasuhiko, Makoto Yukimura and Kentaro Miura is in already a ton of posts so

Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro

Spoilers ;)

C6YBFO0.png
mOWQKP8.png
CxfTqIH.png
vfJeFsp.png
latest
rXx6hb9.jpg
AVnZnCq.png

This series is weekly and the dude takes his time with his art

Ok, I thought of a few more that prob won't get a lot of repping.

Akira Hiramoto (Prison School, Me and the Devil Blues)

All around amazing art, able to portray the wildest ranges of themes imaginable.

Taiyou Matsumoto (Takemitsu Zamurai, Ping Pong)

Excellent panel work and flow.

Reiko Shimizu (Moon Child, Himitsu, Kaguyahime)

Her art undeniably has that shoujo style, but with great execution and use of colors.

Akira hiramoto, who did "Me and the devil blues"! Sadly, the serie neven been finished, even in japan, only 4 volumes, but it was amazing! I'm sad that it had no success :

Not true, the series got a continuation.

G.ZZZ

Toriyama had some amazing paneling skills, the dinamicity he managed to give action scenes just using good paneling is still unparalleled imho.

Hiramoto has good range, amazing technical prowess, and experiment a lot with different angles (lot of fish eyes, incredibly close and angled shots etc...), shadings and styles to set moods.

Asano manage the best of the guys i know how to express emotions in his characters without using a single line of words. This is bizzarre because my favourite work of his, oyasumi punpun, has a main character that is represented by a stilized bird and not a human. And he STILL manage to show emotions.

Samura was covered in a post before me, but i still have to mention him. Him using details as a way to convey the timeframes (raw=quick scenes) is something i don't see often. As well as different kind of pencils/pens to further emphasize the mood of a scene.

Miura and Inoue are the most technically proficient i think. Miura has more detail but his work can feel "bloated" and static sometimes, while Inoue is nowhere as detailed but his pieces are much more variable in mood.

Kyuur

Lots of good posts in here, couldn't choose a best, but here's a good one that hasn't been posted:

Sui Ishida

Aside from his usual beautiful stuff, he's also really good at capturing a feeling of insanity with more uneven and 'scribbly' line work.

Rejoice! The success of his Prison School manga was apparently enough to revive it

didn't know prison school, watched some image.... man i'm sad that the guy had to go with this kind of ecchi popular artstyle to have success, don't know if it's bad or not, but i doesn't appeal to me.... well if it made me and the devil blues revive, i'm really happy! Do you have an article who talks about that?

didn't know prison school, watched some image.... man i'm sad that the guy had to go with this kind of ecchi popular artstyle to have success, don't know if it's bad or not, but i doesn't appeal to me.... well if it made me and the devil blues revive, i'm really happy! Do you have an article who talks about that?

Prison School is...unique. I don't know how else to describe it. Hiramoto's art majestically carries over into this grotesque and sexual romp. It's not for everyone but goddamn is it an amazing series.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Inio Asano's actually just the best.

I'm really fond of Kaoru Mori's stuff too though. The clothing detail in Otoyomegatari is insanely pretty (this isn't even her best work in this manga either, couldn't find the ones I really love):

Yeah, they've both been mentioned already, but they're really super talented.

I've been reading Homunculus lately and while not quite up to par with the above two, Yamamoto Hideo has really great panels. His faces are very distinct too. I'll give him a mention just to throw a new name in this thread out there.

His homunculi conversations are really something else, too. Very creative.

Gintamen

Actually, I change my mind. Nothing is better than Attack on Titan. The others just can't compete with a talented artist like that.
You can troll better than that, he can't even do proportiond right. :/

The best have been named already on thw first page.

Miura/Samura/Inoue are all crazy talented. The level of consistency is amazing.

It's hard to choose something from Berserk. Them at the beach. Young Guts looking at the stars. Dozens of kill panels. SkullKnight stuff. Eclipse ,or Hill of Swords. Griffith and Zodd interactions. It's endless.But our protagonist's birth more or less sums up what is Berserk

I want to say one thing. Hiroki Endo scene direction in action set pieces is probably the best i've ever seen in drawing panels.His art is good but not great , but goddamn he knows everything about scene composition and how to convey information.

Not true, the series got a continuation.

i can't find any info on this, it must be really recent, cause the last volume was release in 2007, i'm glad it will continue

Anyway, while i was searching for some image of osamu tezuka (not the greatest artist in term of drawing, but cleary one of my favortie of all time in term of manga in general)

i remembered this guy, and wondered if it was an inspiration for skullface in MGSV

MJPIA

Kaoru Mori & Hiroaki Samura come to mind.
Also Douman Seiman & Satoshi Mizukami.

But my all time favorite is Tsutomu Nihei
I love his art style.
Especially when he does color pages.
My desktop background and all time favorite thing he's drawn.
I really hope no one comes here on a data plan.

Fuck. Everyone already took mine.

My favorite of all time is Nihei but a lot of these are also favorites.

A big current one of mine is Hanazawa Kengo, who I do not think has been mentioned yet.

I'm trying to find "I Am a Hero" scans but latest chapters of "Boys on the Run" might be a good indicator of his art style. He's less about grand backgrounds and beautiful detail and more about incredibly expressive and unique faces and movements. You can tell his work at a glance and his character's range of expressions are incredible.

Edit: Man, it's hard finding good shots.

Don't say that. Prison School chapters 162-164 are the greatest pieces of modern art there is.

Meier

I have a big soft spot for Harold Sakuishi. Beck is probably my all time favorite manga.

beckhead.png

oasis.jpg

Masakazu Katsura is another old favorite of mine. I probably won't google him at work though just in case.

I%22s_volume_1.jpg

Philippo

Talking about pure style here

Hirohiko Araki - Not too much to say here, truly iconic artist that goes beyond the simple format of manga, and his style is just in a league way higher than mere mortals

Yoshihiro Togashi - I love his sketchy style with few details and heavy outlines, prefectly conceives the adventurous feel of HxH, but sometimes he goes full on a more detailed and realistic look

George Morikawa - the one that i did not expect to like so much in the beginning, this is probably the only artist i've ever read from which i can feel raw energy.
He's great at conceiving power, speed but also more intricated compositions

Gloam

Ryoichi Ikegami

syurayukihime-gaiden201.jpg

Yeah! I really like the movie poster look to his characters (I think he started out doing movie posters) some of the background art and secondary characters can look pretty iffy though, aside from that he's a class act!

Mesoian

Another recent underdog, Masuda Eiji "Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa" has an absolutely amazing artstyle that it took me a long time to figure out whether I liked or not. The true crime is that the anime for the manga completely removed said art style to go with a more traditional moe blob styling. It's a real shame because it really does feel like all of the soul was stripped out of the project.

Nightbird

Oyasumi Punpun is such a bizarre manga. it brought up some strange emotions when reading it.

I liked that about that Manga.
Finishing it left me geniuly confused, about the Story, but also about myself.

I like Titles that can shake me up this much, and Oyasumi Punpun has been the most effective with that. by far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom